Meter: Yay or nay?

Do you like how it has been implemented in DOA6 so far?

• Total voters

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
Looking at the Gameplay footage for DOA6, you noticed that they changed the meter system. You now have two bars of meter. Break Holds will cost one meter, while Break Blows cost a full meter.

Djh-R6mVsAABugU.jpg:large

To see how it works:

Pn33milan

I think it can be implemented better.
I'm already glad they tweaked it a little in the latest build.

Perhaps i'd add at least a new function.
If people are really that happy with this new FSDC in DOA5LR, then i'd try to find a way to implement this mechanics with the new doa6 gauge.
Like the FADC in SF4

DDominguez

When first shown at e3 I was skeptical, but with the changes made up to this point in development (TGS showing), most of if not all of my concerns have gone away. I don't think it will have as big of an impact on gameplay as some people seem to think and am now def looking forward to the positive nuanced changes it does make :thumbs up:

onelasttime

I feel like this is long overdue but we were technically already playing with a meter in DOA5... the power blows and power launchers were metered by health, just didn’t have a separate meter.

I’m definitely gonna miss CB and PB combo but I mean this meter is far more fair! It actually gives you a chance to hold whereas CB/PB combo if you didn’t catch that CB you were kinda screwed

Bogetsu

I'm convinced that the meter can be improved. Although it may be disruptive at some points specially with Break Holds. It will be really interesting once we all get used/master, in order to know more about frame data and the scope of combos/juggles (i.e. how far or complex they'd get to be, etc.)

Akumasama

Necroing this old thread, after playing over 30 hours with the game already.
Normally I despise meters in 3D fighters, I can't say DoA6 made me change my mind, but all in all I sorta like the mind games and the strategy it brings on the table.

Even though if we're talking about comeback mechanics (which is just PART of what the meter is for, in DoA6) I prefer them being just once per round, period. Not able to use it as many times as you want provided you can manage to somehow gain enough meter for multiple uses.

So yeah, I dunno, not a fan of meters, but it's working pretty nice in DoA6 so far for me.

WAZAAAAA

DOA6 meter is not a comeback mechanic (thank jesus)
Both players are getting rewarded with meter for the damage being dealt, but the attacker more than the victim.

Last edited:
Reactions: d3v

MasterHavik

The meters suck, but they don't suck as much as SCVI. So that's something, I guess.
I like SC6 meters as they don't get in the way of the game and hide shit behind it like SC5. DOA 6's meter is okay but jsut shows me everything we're doing could be if meter is omitted. I wil lsay it is doing a good job of not getting in the way.

Akumasama

OT but the major problem of meters in SC6 is not in the meters themselves but in Reversal Edges, they give way too much meter. Surprised they still haven't patched the game to reduce it after all this time, was pretty clear already after the first month.

I still don't like meters but if I were to pick who does it better between SC6 and DoA6 I would have no doubts in choosing the latter, personally. This is because:
1) DoA6 has no mechanics that give too much meter (Reversal Edge),
2) DoA6 doesn't give free meter on the last round of a fight
3) DoA6 meter offers meaningful strategic choices with the Break Holds, I really like that. Whereas in SC6 you "just" have a powerful move, often used as a comeback, or "powerups" to give your char some seconds of empowerment. Less strategy, more about pure attack.
4) SC6 has a huge variation in terms of Soul Charge / Critical Edge power/efficiency. This is appearently good for the sake of variation but it's so unbalanced and frustrating, whereas in DoA6 it's pretty much standard and feels like a basic element of the game, not a special thing of each char to give them additional flavour

d3v

The problem in SC6 is that it seems that by design, they want RE to be the main way to build meter.

And I agree that the management is kinda whack. No choice between spend it now, or save it for later, as everything costs the same, and for some characters, there's an obvious choice (why CE with Sophie when I can SC and put my opponent in the blender).

DOA6's system hews closer to what has been implemented in older, 2D games, which is why IMO it works better.

MasterHavik

Yeah RE does give a bit too much meter but not every characters RE can do that. You should know the REs are different speeds. So only a few can character can do what you're talking about. Despite all the meter you get there is still a lot of counterpla to be had.

Raansu

After playing it the last few days....I can't stand it. I'm less bothered by the break blow (which I still find ridiculous that its a sabaki and a guard break), but the break hold is just.....no, bad, go away.

Shodaku

I'm OK with the meter, all things considered. Coming in I was really worried it would break the game, though I've found that in the matches I've played it doesn't actually come up that often. I will have to clock more some time before giving a final judgement but for now at least it adds more variety to the play than it does harm to the base formula.

I'm definitely still trying to figure out the best strategies for using it, and have some rounds where I completely forget about it. So too do many opponents.

For break blows, it seems to vary by character if they can connect mid-air or after a wall bounce. Perhaps that's just execution error on my part. Does anyone know if there's a clear rule for when you can land the break blow and when not for juggles/wall/ground/etc.?

The only time it's been really consistent for me is as a whiff punisher, so that's mostly how I've used it. Well, that and sometimes getting lucky by surprising my opponent.

d3v

When Break Blows connect seems to be character specific, or more precisely, move specific. Some launchers will launch at just the right height for a character's Break Blow to connect, same with ground bounces.

Akumasama

From a quick look it seems to me all the Break Blows have the same exact identical properties in terms of frame data and damage. What changes is the hit type (mid punch / mid kick) and the hit box.
Kinda subtle difference but that could explain why some characters have it easier to link them in juggles compared to other chars.

Still pretty much a very standardized / homogeneized / general move, compared for example to SC6's Critical Edges, where each of those is VERY different (and this difference is quite unbalanced if you ask me, but w/e)

MasterHavik

After playing it the last few days....I can't stand it. I'm less bothered by the break blow (which I still find ridiculous that its a sabaki and a guard break), but the break hold is just.....no, bad, go away.
I think break holds are good to get out of guaranteed combos but just in neutral from regular combos seem like a panic hold.

Raansu

I think break holds are good to get out of guaranteed combos

This is literally the worst part about it. If I read you doing a low hold and punish you with a FSDS, why should I have to play another read after punishing you? Makes the move pointless, especially since BH only cost 50%. IMO if you're in a fatal stun it should take your whole bar.

I get that people like to be able to escape situations and that part of doa is the mind games, but there needs to be more situations in doa where you can't escape. DoA5 was hit or miss on it depending on the character, but in 6 they have gone the opposite direction. Like I seriously can't get past the doa4 hybrid feeling of this game. Minus a few exceptions, practically every stun is escapable.

Akumasama

I think BH are their way to compensate/balance the fact that in DoA6 so far there tends to be more unescapable/guaranteed damage strings than there were in previous games.
I don't remember many situations in past games where you could remove 90%+ of your opponent's health without him being able to do absolutely anything about it. Maybe in the Gambler's Paradise stage in DoA4? I'm sure there were a few but how many times did you encounter these situations yoruselves online?

DoA6 hasn't been out more than a week and stuff like that is already out. It's very situational and nichey and stage dependant, sure, but it's there and it's much more frequent than it ever was in the past.
I think Break Hold were their attempt to put a limit to the possible frustration coming out from this slightly new direction.

Plus it adds a lot of depth to the guessing and mind games typical of the series.
Your opponent has a full charge, will he go for a deadly combo using it to finish? Will he use BB as a combo extender? Will he use it for a break hold to interrupt your combos?
And you can adjust your playstyle into setting traps to let your opponent do what you want him to do, like wasting his bar and so on.
I think that, while I still despise meters in 3D games, it's still a neat implementation that's very fitting with what has always been the game's approach.

I'm not saying it doesn't need tweaks, but that in itself is pretty commendable, compared to what other 3D fighters have done so far with meters.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD