DOA5LR Momiji Stage Strategy

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
This thread is to discuss stage strategy for Momiji, both universal and stage specific. Doing what we can to get damage, or maximize damage and gain favorable positioning on the stage you're fighting on.

What are we to discuss here?

- Moves that provide good knock back distance that will allow you to net even more damage from wall splats or follow up after breakable objects.

- Throws that interact with the environment via wall slam or breakable object/floor,, explosive floor (Danger Zone stage) or other kinds of Dangerzones. What you can do and take advantage of after certain throw interactions.

- Universal juggles are optimal via stage interaction, wall combos, etc.

- Stage specific juggles; stages with ceilings, stage specific dangerzone interactions, etc.

- Danger Zone Meta-game; what moves guarantee explosive ground bounce, what's optimal damage for giant explosive bounce. How to take advantage of Danger Zone stage interaction. Etc.

- List goes on.

The purpose of this thread is to provide insight and strategy on ways you can utilize the environment on different stages with Momiji. This character has great wall carry ability and pretty strong wall damage.

Tempest

These threads are a great idea, I think I'll put some content together for phase and Lisa for their own threads. For momiji I think sometimes sacrificing damage and using 6pkkk instead p even if it won't result in a stage transition is a strong option for positioning. In my opinion momiji works better in open space so sometimes I'll do this when my back is to the wall to get some breathing room.

I think 66k is the general refloat after stage transitions. Not too sure but I believe the izuna becomes the optimal CB juggle under a ceiling and it may be a good idea to use 236p+k in stun if you can manipulate your opponent properly.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Yes, I do the same. Personally, I prefer using 6PKKK as my juggle to 6PKKP (unless I will get the K.O. or can net extra damage via electric/explosive floor, because I prefer to send my opponent as close to any environment as possible so I can wall rape them once I get them there.

6PKKK also recovers a lot faster than 3P4PP, so running in after 6PKKK hits gives you a mix up of running H+K, 66P, H+K, and throw, for basic run up mix up. If someone doesn't tech up after the 6PKKK juggle then you can just run up with 1P/1P2K to force them off the ground.

Momiji's Izuna is infact optimal after breakable objects, and the damage is actually up there or higher than Hayabusa's when involving a ceiling.

Lulu

Which one of Momiji's holds and throws cause her to Enter Tenku again ?

Appearently theres this dope combo you can do in Home and I was wondering how to create the oppertunity for it in an actual fight..... so that I can avoid it :p since I don't actually use Momiji anymore..... for now.

Lulu

Found it..... its :6::6::F: near a wall....
But that can't be right, 66T usually causes a knock down.... does that change when you perform it on a wall ?

KING JAIMY

Universal Environmental Strategies

- Wall combos (maximum damage):

Feather: W! > 6P+K / 44P > 6PKKP+K
Light: W! > 6P+K / 44P > 6PKKK
Middle: W! > 6P+K / 44P > 6PKKK
Super Heavy: W! > 8P > 6PKKK

- BT P on hit near a wall guarantees a K or H+K wall splat.

- Slamming someone into a breakable object guarantees Momiji's Izuna or 6H+K > 3P / 6P.

- Likewise, 236P+K full charge Power Launcher into a ceiling guarantees an Izuna or 6H+K > 3P / 6P

- 66T is your most damaging option on a floor with cracks in it. 41236T will not maximize damage since the first part of the throw will break through the floor.

Stage-specific Strategies

1. The Show

(Star Wall) > 66K > 6PKKP / 6PKKK

2. Hot Zone

(RPG) > 66K > 6PKKP / 6PKKK
(X-Wall) > 3P4PP

3. Danger Zone

Use 6PKP as your universal combo finisher on the blue tiles to get a free bounce.

---

This is what I have for now. I'll post more once I get to play DOA again so I can test out more stuff.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Found it..... its :6::6::F: near a wall....
But that can't be right, 66T usually causes a knock down.... does that change when you perform it on a wall ?

Yes, 66T lets Momiji jump off higher walls when the opponent's back is to the wall. Allows her to follow up with Tenku options for guaranteed damage. The throw will only change though when your opponent's back is to the wall, and with walls that stand pretty high. Like the Home stage, for example.

As for the Danger Zone stage, moves that will guarantee a ground bounce on the blue tiles:

- Tenku P
- PPKKP
- PPKP
- 6PKKP
- 6KKP
- 6KP
- 3PP
- 214P+K
- 214PP
- 214PP+K: If it finishes hit confirming at the end of Critical Stun Threshold, it'll cause a ground bounce.
- 2K: If it causes a knock down, it'll cause a ground bounce
- 236P+KPPP
- 6H+K: If it finishes hit confirming at the end of Critical Stun Threshold, it'll cause a ground bounce.
- PPP4P: If it finishes hit confirming at the end of Critical Stun Threshold, it'll cause a ground bounce.

My favorite thing to do on Danger Zone as Momiji is to get one stun, jab free cancel into PPKKP ground bounce. Gives me 8P > 6PKKP which does 100-110+ easily.

PPKKP and 6PKKP are actually your universal juggles on Danger Zone.

Lulu

Well.... thats all I know.... looks like I won't be holding if my back's to the wall. ;)

KING JAIMY

My favorite thing to do on Danger Zone as Momiji is to get one stun, jab free cancel into PPKKP ground bounce.
Getting a stun and then jab cancelling into PPKKP / PPKKK is a good thing for Momiji to do in general. I saw you doing it in one of your online matches against Rikuto and I was surprised by the fact I hadn't implemented that into my play yet. Landing a stun and then jab cancelling into another jab works for a lot of other characters, too.

Anyway, back on-topic. I'm trying to figure out what the best no-timing combo is for Momiji after you blow your opponent off-stage and they land on the hazardous blue tiles on Danger Zone. Have you (or has anyone else) found some good no-timing follow-ups yet?

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
What I do is a little tricky, but really consistent for the big fall combo after a little practice;

Perform 8 freestep direction for about 2-3 full seconds then do a 9P Hop immediately followed by 7K > 66K > 3P4PP. It will always send the opponent of light to heavyweight (Genfu) off the platform.

For super heavyweight, you alternate the combo by doing 7K > 8P > 3P4PP or 6PKKK instead.

Haven't used Alpha as the dummy for this just yet.

And yeah, jab free cancel jab string works with every character. I love doing this as Ayane since I can go straight into PP6K2K for the knock down and get the offense pressure rolling.

Last edited:

coffeedad

I <3 Jesus...and coffee.
Premium Donor
Full Walls:
Got this 6PKKK wall tech from Hajin and surprised that he didn't post it...
Launch and end combo with 6PKKK wall spat, you will be +43, wiff P, then immediately do 1P. You can opt to go for it's follow ups or not. This will nullify WUK. Works on all weights. You can also end your combo with PPPP wall splat and get the same results for a lil less damage (got that from JDE). PPPP works on all weights up to Gen Fu.

Not as useful as the Hajin tech, but still somewhat useful..

Air throw (can't remember it's name because I am not that kind of guy): 8P, 6PKKK (wall splat), wiff P, then immediately do 1P. Same as Hajin's stuff but begins with a throw.

Mid screen force techs: (Because I don't know where else to put it)
Air throw:
H+K, 6PK, PK, then use 1P for the pseudo force tech. (works on lights and below, didn't test welter, doh!)
8P, 6PK, PK >>> 1P (mids, cruisers, heavies)

Critical Burst: 236P, 44PK, PK, >>> 1P for the pft.

Can't really find any other worthwhile pft's mid screen.
The only pft's I think are very useful are the ones that you can pick em up with 1P.

Lulu

In the stages with Ropes..... like Sweat and Fighting Entertainment, do you only get the Rope Stun (I don't know the actual name.) If you use a power Blow ? I've been trying to get it with Throws and Knock Back attacks but nothings happening. I stood as far away as I possibly could.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Full Walls:
Launch and end combo with 6PKKK wall spat, you will be +43, wiff P, then immediately do 1P. You can opt to go for it's follow ups or not. This will nullify WUK. Works on all weights..

I was going to make a post on okizeme soon that's why. Thanks for posting that one though, I was also pretty happy to see a few japanese Momiji players are using that one as well.

I was like "YESSSSSSS others do it too, they are on the right track!" lol.

@Lulu Running H+K will bounce opponents off the rope as well, but they have to be a bit close to the rope to gain the wall bounce effect.

Lulu

I was going to make a post on okizeme soon that's why. Thanks for posting that one though, I was also pretty happy to see a few japanese Momiji players are using that one as well.

I was like "YESSSSSSS others do it too, they are on the right track!" lol.

@Lulu Running H+K will bounce opponents off the rope as well, but they have to be a bit close to the rope to gain the wall bounce effect.

I thought being close only gives you a wall splat/bounce...... will try it out and report back.

Edit:
Alright I'm back.... you was right :D
Running H+K definitely got the right stun..... however getting the distance just right was very tricky, being too close or too far gives either a wall bounce or knock down.
and I don't think you can use a running attack in a Combo..... well....Lisa can.

I'm not entirely sure how those ropes behave, some attacks seem to work and some don't.

Edit2:
Allright I think I got it, it seems like you need a nice hard knock back attack to Activate the Rope Stun, the bigger the knock back the better. 2ndly, it seems like it only works if you knock them back while they are still grounded.... I tried juggling some one into the Ropes and all I got was a splat, but then again I'm not entirely sure because its hard getting the spacing just right...... throws don't seem to work either..... well atleast not Giant Swing or any of those big throws, it might actually work with Kokoro's :214:Throw. And who knows, maybe even Momiji's 66T (it usually causes a wall slump). I haven't tried holds yet..... will see with Rachel's low kick hold

A good Rope Stage would be Fighting Entertainment, its smaller than Sweat and you can use the ropes more often...... it also has a nice handy little logo on the Floor you can use as a tool to help you measure how far your opponent is from the Ropes. For Tina, you get the Rope Stun if you knock your opponent back before they exit the outer ring of text of the logo but after they cross over the big red circle in the center.

Last edited:

KING JAIMY

Full Walls:
Launch and end combo with 6PKKK wall spat, you will be +43, wiff P, then immediately do 1P. You can opt to go for it's follow ups or not. This will nullify WUK. Works on all weights. You can also end your combo with PPPP wall splat and get the same results for a lil less damage (got that from JDE). PPPP works on all weights up to Gen Fu.
Damn... I overlooked this awesome tech. Definitely going to implement this in my Momiji game. What if they tech roll immediately after the 6PKKK wall juggle though? What are my options after 1P?

KING JAIMY

What I do is a little tricky, but really consistent for the big fall combo after a little practice;

Perform 8 freestep direction for about 2-3 full seconds then do a 9P Hop immediately followed by 7K > 66K > 3P4PP. It will always send the opponent of light to heavyweight (Genfu) off the platform.

For super heavyweight, you alternate the combo by doing 7K > 8P > 3P4PP or 6PKKK instead.

Haven't used Alpha as the dummy for this just yet.
Back on the topic of Dangerzone combos where they fall off the stage and land on the blue tiles, I've gone into the lab and found a couple of no-timing combos for each weight class. For each combo running H+K is used to kick them off the stage (does 40 DMG on NH) and tech roll is turned ON:

Featherweight

9K (whiff) > 7K > 66K > 3P4P > 6PP (164 DMG).
6K (whiff) > 33P > 236P > 66K > 3P4PP (157 DMG). *STYLE*

Lightweight / Middleweight

9K (whiff) > 7K > 66K > 6PKKK (161 DMG)
1P (whiff) > 236P > 66K > 6PKKK (154 DMG) *STYLE*
6K (whiff) > 33P > 66K > 8P > 3P4PP (154 DMG) *STYLE*

Super Heavyweight

2H+K (whiff) > 44P8 Uzukaze PP > 3P4PP (149 DMG)
6K (whiff) > 33P > 66K > 3P4PP (149 DMG) *ALTERNATIVE*

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Damn... I overlooked this awesome tech. Definitely going to implement this in my Momiji game. What if they tech roll immediately after the 6PKKK wall juggle though? What are my options after 1P?

They are always forced to deal with the situation of 1P because if they don't tech, they are ground hit to be forced up. Even if they tech and 1P whiffs, they have a mid/low to respect from 1P. If you train the opponent to get up after this situation then you can do whatever you like after whiffing jab, reading they'll tech up.

If you do 1P and they tech and it whiffs, you can free cancel and continue to mix up for pressure. The situation is always advantageous for you.

Very nice list of combos for Danger Zone, by the way.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD