DOA5U Momiji's "Izuna" Legit? or Not?

Brute

Standard Donor
According to Giantbomb:
Giantbomb said:
An Izuna Drop is a move used in many videogames mostly used by Ninjas. This move consists of either both fighters being in the air on one fighter knocking the other up into the air. After that the one fighter grabs onto the other and continue to drop head first (Both fighters are going down head first) while spinning. The move ends with the fighter on the receiving end getting major head injuries and the giver to get away unharmed even though he/she was also going down head first.
This is basically what I consider to constitute an izuna drop, and by this criteria than no, Momiji's "izuna" is a farce, only being an "izuna" in name.

Unless you're referring to her tag throw with Hayabusa, which is a legit Izuna Drop.

RyuxSama

According to Giantbomb:

This is basically what I consider to constitute an izuna drop, and by this criteria than no, Momiji's "izuna" is a farce, only being an "izuna" in name.

Unless you're referring to her tag throw with Hayabusa, which is a legit Izuna Drop.
I agree with u there, but an izuna does not have to spin. In the izuna drops first appearance in the anime "The Legend of Kamui" she did not spin, but rather just a straight drop with their heads. It's like Hayabusas izuna without doing the 360T at the end. But you are right that you have to drop the opponent and yourself on the head for it to be considered a proper "Izuna"

Brute

Standard Donor
Izuna... not Mozuna. All flash, no substance.
Hers doesn't even have flash, really. It's just got some unnecessary fire effects thrown in to try and distract you from the stiff animation.

Of course, it doesn't have a whole lot of substance either, given that most of the time she can net better damage with lower risk off of normal juggles, whereas Hayabusa's Shoho is one of his most essential moves.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
her DOA version is pretty weak, but keep in mind her original has plenty of "substance", that substance being steel, namely her stabbing her naginata right through your chest

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I said it was "a thing" not that it was an Izuna. I'm kind of curious as to why this is a topic. Feel free to discuss but last I checked it's just a move with similar notation to the Shoho Izuna and doesn't look like an Izuna or have 'Izuna' anywhere in the name. Unless it is in the name, which is bizarre of course. Haven't checked.

Brute

Standard Donor
I said it was "a thing" not that it was an Izuna. I'm kind of curious as to why this is a topic. Feel free to discuss but last I checked it's just a move with similar notation to the Shoho Izuna and doesn't look like an Izuna or have 'Izuna' anywhere in the name. Unless it is in the name, which is bizarre of course. Haven't checked.
It was a discussion we were having on someone's status. Rather than continuing posting a bunch of text there, getting tons of notifications and writing in small segments before having to make a new post, RyuXSama decided to move the conversation to an actual thread.

So my posts are in response to that previous conversation, addressing points that were raised there. Sorry for the confusion.

Pictured Mind

Too bad I can't like posts or reply to people with one of those characters in their signature. So uh... thumbs up for CyberEvils first post.

I don't really want or need it to be an izuna. I think the move looks hella tight. Especially with the fire. I sometimes is it after a CB, Hayabusa style. It also makes me feel like a cool guy since I don't play Momiji the way most people do anyways.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Too bad I can't like posts or reply to people with one of those characters in their signature. So uh... thumbs up for CyberEvils first post.

I don't really want or need it to be an izuna. I think the move looks hella tight. Especially with the fire. I sometimes is it after a CB, Hayabusa style. It also makes me feel like a cool guy since I don't play Momiji the way most people do anyways.
Interesting. @Mr. Wah

jjinkou2

topic with only hayabusa's players contributions.... hum, is this thread legit ?

Momiji's players to the rescue please !!

jjinkou2

Momiji's Izuna defines the new rules of Izuna, making Busas'one obsolete. She enlightens with her flames, saying to former Hayabusa's players this poem

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Pictured Mind

PicturedMind is a Momiji player. Russian doesn't use Busa.

It's more of a semantics topic than a gameplay topic, though, so it doesn't really matter anyway, however.

I play a casual Momiji once in a while, ya.

As a Momiji player I like to have the move in my arsenal. It's not as useful as Haybusa's in terms of damage but it looks good. It satisfies me to land it after a CB.

Last edited:

RyuxSama

Momiji's Izuna defines the new rules of Izuna, making Busas'one obsolete. She enlightens with her flames, saying to former Hayabusa's players this poem

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
Nononono! I'm not even going to delve into your response, all I'm going to tell you is to look at what an actual izuna is!!!!!

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD