News Monty Oum has passed away

Today, we are very sad to report that Monty Oum, legendary creator behind the Dead Fantasy series, has passed away at the young age of 33 years old, according to his recent employer Rooster Teeth.

MN7dCSJ.jpg

Over the last several years, Monty has worked on and delivered some action-packed fighting series videos, pitting the cast of Dead or Alive against the cast of the Final Fantasy series, which became an instant hit to many fans as Dead Fantasy.

Monty later on went to lend his much talented skills to Rooster Teeth, popular devs behind the Red vs. Blue Halo series.

According to Rooster Teeth, Monty suffered a severe allergic reaction from a recent surgery procedure, was checked into a coma but, unfortunately, he never came out of it and passed away.

From everyone here at FreeStepDodge and all surrounding DOA fans around the world, we would truly like to send our most deepest condolences to his family members. He will be greatly missed.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Square Enix, Team Ninja or Itagaki etc. made any comments or acknowlegement to Dead Fantasy?
@Kodachi , When I last spoke w/ Monty, (b4 He passed away) He was in the process of 1st taking a sabbatical, & then He was going to finish where He had left off, (& also complete) The~Dead~Fantasy~Saga. When I spoke w/ Michael (Rage~Quit) Jones, He told Me that They were going to Honour His~Memory by completing Dead~Fantasy, as a Memorial/Tribute to Him. There was also talk of a Dead~Fantasy Game, or Dead~Fantasy Vs. DOA game, in the Brain~Storming~Phase...this is where the thought of Square Enix/Team~Ninja/possibly Itagaki came into reference, as far as a possible production/Producer for Funding came in2 play. I haven't spoken w/ Itagaki about It, however...maybe I should.

It'd be great if they could finish it. Hopefully Monty had some notes somewhere about what he wanted to do with the series.
I don't know about notes, but he did have a plan going forward. I got a chance to discuss it with him several years back at DiD7. I've never spoken about it or his plans and never will. But I will be extremely quick to call bullshit on anyone that tries to act like they have some insider track on it.

Let the man's work stand on its own and leave it where he left it. Not everything needs to be finished.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD