DOA5LR Naotora Strategy Guide

The Spine

This is a guide more on the HOW to go about playing Naotora in a match rather than a complete breakdown. This is mostly based on my observation and time with the game itself. I'm not an expert nor do I claim to be one, this is mostly my educated opinion. If you disagree, feel free to discuss it.

Pros:
+ Relatively fast (11i/12i/14i) Kicks
+ Decent damage (Can get 100+ in a lvl 3 stun)
+ Easy execution
+ Can delay very well
+ Decent pokes

Cons:
- Below average (11i/14i/14i) punch speeds
- Poor mix-ups
- Poor neutral game
- Very unsafe
- Poor stun game
- High risk/Medium reward

So, how does Naotora work?
Naotora is a pretty passive and opportunistic character. Unfortunately, she ideally wants to stay in neutral, out-poke, and punish when an opportunity presents itself. She really cannot stay in close range or in long range. She has to stay in the middle.

Range
As mentioned before in the last point, Naotora wants to stay somewhere in the middle between close range and long range. To be exact, she wants to stay at r1f (Round 1 Fight) distance, which is ~2.00 meters. The reason being is that all of her pokes are relatively safe at this distance. Let's look at the pokes that she has, and why I said relatively safe.

Pokes at the Ideal Range
3K - This is the main poke that is actually pretty powerful at this distance. The opponent can't throw punish it and is forced to try to go for a strike punish. Whether or not it's safe for Naotora would be up to the opponent's strike choice. However, most strikes that reach 1.70+ are generally slow and thus Naotora is able to block or hold these moves with no issues in general as the move is -8 on block. Use this whenever possible at this range.

Jump (9P) 2K - This is a quite a strong move if you're in the middle of playing footsies. The reasons are because of the following: The jump itself is a mix-up, 2K is a guard break and, on hit, it causes a bounce which nets a free 6K4KK combo. However, like any move, don't use this too often. It can be fully held rather than sidestep held. That being said, it can be a good option for getting a little close while also making a slight advantage for yourself.

2H+K - I would not use this move too often. This is pretty much the only good poke at this range that is completely throw punishable and wickedly slow (23i). Of course it crushes high and can cause a complete knockdown if the opponent attempts to throw. Counter stun can be followed up on though. Overall, since this will be hitting on neutral most of the time. This will mostly be a move used to create an opening to get a little closer if you need to.

6P and 6K - I'm putting these together because they have the exact same properties (save for the fact a 6P string can't be interrupted). Both singular moves are -14 on block, can both hit at the distance, can be delayed, and have a mid kick follow up. These moves are to be used rarely unless someone decides to start a string at this distance. These moves by themselves do not provide any benefit if an opponent is blocking.

Close and Long Range
This is not the distance where Naotora wants to be in, but there are ways to close the gap, go with the flow (CQC), or distance yourself.

CQC (Close Quarters Combat)
If you find yourself this close (usually after a throw/hold) and they're blocking, you're going to have to distance yourself. This will be done with her GBs (guardbreaks). While they don't provide much distance, they can net a quick back dash or punish should the opponent attempt to strike. The most notable GBs/mix-ups that Naotora has are:

PP2K - Either hold 2 to get two lows that will guard break, or a delayed mid kick that guard breaks.

P - This is actually pretty handy if you plink H after pressing P. It's negative one, and nobody will, realistically, try to mash unless they know you'll plink. The reason this is strong is because she has a number of options in her punch string. PK, PP2K, PPP, and even PPK to mix-up.

Jump 2K - Already mentioned, but let me go deeper on the actual jump as a mix-up. She has a high kick, mid kick, or can just empty jump. This is a pretty neat option given that, if you don't autopilot or jump too often, the opponent is generally forced to block or guess with a hold, risking an empty jump > throw. Of course any character can hit you out of the jump, so be wary of this.

PK: While this isn't a GB, you can always take your chances if the opponent has been using 6H+P. It's -7 on block, so if you want to take that risk then you can get some decent damage off of the high counter punish.

Delays in general - Most of Naotora's kick strings can be delayed by around 10 frames. Which of course can net counter hits if you're that close and are trying to mix-up. There isn't much to it.

Long Range
This is the range Naotora absolutely does not want to be at. She has two straightforward moves that can both be held with a mid kick hold. Therefore, it's more about easing your way in rather than using raw moves. Naotora's forward walk speed is pretty fast and has a pretty smooth animation as well, which does make it better for players to move around. A good way to approach is to essentially take two steps forward and one backwards over and over. Pretty much like Street Fighter footsies, easing your way in while also protecting yourself moving backwards should the opponent do something surprising. As for her actual moves, they have uses, but generally, try to stay away from using these moves very much.You'll likely only get away with it once.

Throws
Note: I will use "T" as notation

I will not go over holds as you will simply have to adjust as there's no other option to where you end up. However, with throws, there's a different metagame to it and which throws you want to attempt are at your discretion. However, here are the facts:

5T - The 5i neutral is not the best option you could hope for. It leaves her a little too close to the opponent ~1.50m. However, if there are no other options, you can work around it using methods stated above.

6T - This is the perfect throw for Naotora. It's 7 frames, so most of the time you'll be able to throw punish with this. If you can, do it. The reason being is that it gets her at ~2.50m which is the around the ideal range Naotora wants to be in, as well as a knockdown. 3K essentially becomes free in this zone. Use this whenever possible.

4T - Her 10i throw. It leaves her close to the ideal range as well ~1.70m. This also causes a knockdown. This can be used as a tick throw if you would prefer to have the situation in your hands rather than the raw damage.

66T: 12i and is her most damaging throw. Pretty much used for tick throwing more than anything else. It does, however, leave her at ~4.00m. Which is honestly quite bad. Of course, it's a knockdown and the opponent can hit a wall or a dangerzone. However, without those, it could potentially leave Naotora at a disadvantage because of the distance. Naotora is extremely limited at a distance greater than 2.00m. As such, you will have to work around getting closer using the methods stated above.

2T - Her only crouch throw. This move is pretty much unavoidable as far as using it. However, it'll leave her at almost 1.00m, but it also causes a knockdown. So, make sure you understand and assess your situation.

That should cover the basic strategy for this character. Good luck out there if you plan to use her at any time and I hope this helped.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Good guide...but there's one mistake(Not trying to be disrespectful or anything just thought I'd let you know in case) but the jump input is 9P, not 7P. Other than that good guide, very informative!

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD