Community NEC 15 Results

North East Championships 15 took place over the weekend in Philadelphia, PA, and the Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate tournament has ended. A lot of interesting things happened at the fifteenth anniversary of NEC with the last DOA5U major tournament in 2014. Tournament entry was free with a $1000 prize ($500 from donations to Free Step Dodge and $500 from Team NINJA).

Before I go on to the tournament, during the Top 8 on Sunday Eric Small of @BigE Gaming shared with @Katsu Hayami a message from Tom Lee of Team NINJA. Tom's message goes on to say that due to Katsu's relentless support for the Dead or Alive Competitive community, Team NINJA is donating $500 towards Katsu's medical bills he has been stuck with during his time of need. If you'd like to donate to help Katsu more, please follow proceed to Go Fund Me for more details.

Tom Lee said:
On behalf of Team NINJA and myself, Tom Lee, we would like to recognize the contributions of Katsu as an outstanding member of the DOA Community who has served the competitive scene for many years. As an act of gratitude, we would like to donate this check for $500 to help him with his recent medical bills. Thank you for all of your continued support and service.

As for the tournament, there were many instances of seeing characters on stream that didn't get much stream time in the past. Kristian "Kwiggle" McClean decided to use his secondary characters throughout the tournament instead of his main Christie due to community response doubting his previous wins were based on the player and not his character, but only managed second place. He ended up using Rachel, Kasumi, Marie Rose, and La Mariposa throughout the tournament. Sonic Fox also showed off his in-progress character choice of Jacky, but only ended up getting 3rd in the tournament after eliminating Jaeger in a Summer Jam run-back. The tournament champion was XCalibur BladeZ, his first tournament win in 2014 after getting second place at TFC 2014. He ended up winning the tournament with Eliot, a character often said by many to be one of the worst in the game This was Eliot's second tournament win since Summer Jam 6 in 2013 (by XCalibur BladeZ as well) shortly before the release of Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate.

It appears the tournament was a blast for all who attended, and we continued seeing growth in the community as it appears there were many players making their first appearance. I hope they all strengthen up for Dead or Alive 5 Last Round which will be out in February. Before that though, there's the Kumite in Tennessee event in January which is also free to enter with a $500 prize.

10846390_850633974956692_960362992677104935_n-jpg.8127

Last edited:
This tournament was filled to the brim with surprises:

1. @XCaLibur BLadeZ and his Eliot took the NEC '15 tournament. Despite being labeled as one of the worst characters in the game. Congratulations Xcal!

2. Kwiggle didn't use Christie!? Based off my own impressions he didn't seem to care much about that decision. His Lisa was extremely impressive; and no one has the right to tell him what he should have done.

3. SonicFox picked up Jacky and used him very well for only "one month" of practice.

4. @Jaeger didn't press start! Just playing with you buddy! Excellent Rig play.

5. @Nestor Collazo defeated Bboy Dragon with his Brad. An impressive victory, and excellent player. Keep it up Nestor!

6. Team NINJA donated $500 to @Katsu Hayami. Thank you Katsu for remaining supportive to the Dead or Alive community.

NEC '15 I believe was a proper send off to Dead or Alive Ultimate. Great matches, beautiful community moments and growth from the community. Let's kick a lot of ass with Last Round!

NEC15 Bracket - Dead Or Alive 5 Ultimate - Top 8

Missed it? Watch Top 8 now on KPB

Outplayed again from @Mr. Wah ;)

Great tournament.

Last edited by a moderator:
Big congrats to Xcalibur Bladez. Great Eliot!

Why do I feel like we've gotten to a point where we pretty much need a Christie, Helena or Rachel for a tournament to be more hype?

Meh, I didn't think there was much talent this year. I saw a lot of dropped combos and even the Brad player dropped PBs! XCal winning with Eliot doesn't really count, because this year at NEC was just not good. I believe better talent will be at Final Round.

Meh, I didn't think there was much talent this year. I saw a lot of dropped combos and even the Brad player dropped PBs! XCal winning with Eliot doesn't really count, because this year at NEC was just not good. I believe better talent will be at Final Round.
My thoughts to that is probably because there were new players. I mean would you really wanna see the same experts play against each other countless times? That's my opinion though. I liked it myself evven though I missed some of it, but it was still good.

My thoughts to that is probably because there wee new players. I mean would you really wanna see the same experts play against each other countless times? That's my opinion though.
The only good thing that came out of this was the fact that top players didn't use their mains. Had this tournament been taken seriously, I think it would've been more fun to watch.

Saying that this tournament wasn't serious is a disservice to the people in the community that made it out there. Saying who you think is competitive has no merit whatsoever, Jyakotu, and you know it. It's also quite rude in my opinion to call competitors the opposite of.

The community is continuing to grow (especially in skill) and @Nestor Collazo is proof of that. People are having fun at these events (and the tournament wasn't short of great matches) and perhaps Kwiggles wanted to try something different. He goes to all sorts of tournaments: he has a game plan, he knows what he's doing as a tournament player and he could afford to take the risk of choosing another character because he's that damn good at the game.

For people to put words in his mouth is fucking stupid, and to say what he should have done is also stupid because none of you are Kwiggle, and none of you paid his way into NEC '15.

I would like to emphasize the fact that criticisms of a character are not criticisms of a player.

With or without Christie, Kwiggle is an incredible player. I hope people realize this.

The tournament and skill was amazing just because someone used a different character doesn't mean the skill of tournament hype wasn't there. Pretty sure a number of people sayig otherwise would of fallen to these characters as well.

It was an awesome event a bunch of upsets and hype matches I seen!

Lol that tournament was fun. Yeah i don't get shot out for being that guy with phase-4 that didn't char switch..... no joke i felt like phase-4 was garbage than i saw Kasumi get 3-0 (round count not set count) by Elliot. .... never going back to Kasumi , and damn @deathofaninja never tag me its always bboylost this nothing good.... just trolling you man.
ON A MORE SERIOUS NOTE
Guys don't like how they played this tournament than show up and make them use their main. FYI Everyone forgets xbladez beat shade swift eye 3 sets straight Summer Jam 2013... he was down 2-0 helena lost and than alpha he used Elliot as his last pic and won last DOA5 Vanilla major with Elliot..... just saying

Last edited:
My 2 cents.

Very few players can beat Xcal, Kwiggs, and Sonic consistently in casuals, where in fact all three of them use multiple characters:

Xcal has Helena, Alpha, Momiji, Bass, an Eliot.

Kwiggles can use Christie, Rachel, Kasumi, and Lisa.

Sonic, has Marie, Christie, Rachel, Kokoro, and now Jacky.

Wanted to show he could do it "another" and maybe pride got the best him. He even admitted he didn't know the MU so that played in Xcal favor because even though he usually places high, he has not won a tourney since Vanilla DOA5 with his "mains".

Sonic and Kwiggles live in the sane house so maybe he was trying something different on his bro (past instances not in his favor).

Not saying outcome wouldn't have been different but these facts should be considered.

Gratz to everyone who competed. I've been traveling and missed the stream, unfortunately, but I look forward to checking out the archives when I return.

Saying who you think is competitive has no merit whatsoever, Jyakotu, and you know it.
Pretty much.

tumblr_inline_mw468o9zI31r25xgk.gif

aside: this gif was from Selena's original audition for the Disney Channel. You needed this in your life.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD