[NEC Edition] The International Interviews: #16 SweetRevenge

ikodomo

“My fists only get cheaper with age”
- SweetRevenge

Hailing across the lands of Texas, SweetRevenge will be one of the key players people will need to pay attention too at this year's NEC. Being one of the few premier Genfu players on the planet, SweetRevenge will be looking to take full advantage of that aspect and exploit it amongst his opponents. As a champion in multiple DOA majors, SweetRevenge will be taking his Genfu and his new tech to NEC.

2zp8f2w.jpg

Photo courtesy of PutThatBack

Name? Gaming alias?

My name is Matt Kieffer and my gaming alias is SweetRevenge

Country of Origin?

USA!!

How did you come up with the name Sweet Revenge?

I love the band system of a down and when I was trying to decide a gamer name, my former step dad suggested sweetrevenge.

Who are your main characters in DOA5LR?

Genfu is my main. Jann Lee, Rachel, Helena and Sarah are characters I can mess around with.

Why did you decide on picking those characters over all the cast? Can you breakdown your characters pros and cons?

Genfu, I started using in DOA2U at the end of its life because I wanted to kick ass with the old guy because they're usually badasses. Rachel is easy to play and sarah is wicked, fast and fun.

How long have you been playing DOA casually and competitively?

I started playing casually during DOA3, but I just hit buttons lol. August of 2005 is when I started playing online. My first offline tournament was in 2006

If you were to describe your play style in 3 words; What would they be?

3p, yomi heavy, and CHEAP

Is there a glaring weakness you would like to improve upon?

I wouldn’t say glaring, but some characters that I don’t know well (like kokoro). I tend to try and grab punish everything which gets me killed.

What's your typical routine when preparing for an upcoming tournament? Do you have any players you spar or train with for an upcoming tournament?

My routine for preparing for an offline tournament is practicing all my set ups in sparring and practicing what I'd do in certain situations. Online sucks so I feel it hinders me at times. And lopedo is my training partner. I play with my local scene sometimes as well.

What are the tournaments you have attended? What were those results you had on those tournaments?

I'll just list the most recent ones

KIT - 2nd

Final Round - 2nd

Summer Jam - 4th

Absolute Battle - 1st

Congratulations on your Absolute Battle Victory. Can you tell me about your experience at Absolute Battle? How was it?

Thank you. My experience with absolute battle was awesome. Everyone that showed up had a good time. I didn’t lose a single match in tournament play either so that’s always nice.

Any upcoming Tournaments you will be participating in the near future?

NEC and probably final round. Haven't thought much of next year.

How do you think you will do at this year's NEC?

With my new tech, I think I have a good shot at winning. Every time I find new tech, I win a tournament and I won Absolute Battle so hopefully my mojo carries over. It’ll be tough for sure.

A couple of international players are coming to this tournament such as Teru_Rock, Gehaktbal and Java Curry Akira. How do you think they will perform?

Gehaktbal is a machine so he’ll definitely do well. I've never actually watched the other two play, but I probably will in the upcoming days to get an idea of what to expect.

Are you interested again in playing overseas? If so, where and why?

Yes I'm interested in playing overseas again. I’d be interested in playing in japan because the scene over there is huge and I’d like to see how they play. It’d be a blast.

Do you think Team Ninja did a good job implementing a Capcom Cup tour like event like Battle Royale?

Team ninja did a good job with Battle Royal in my opinion. A lot of players from around the world are coming thanks to the sponsorship that Team Ninja provided. A great company all around.

Which version of DOA do you like and hate the most? Why?

DOA5U is my favorite because it was just awesome lol. They nerfed my string delay in Last Round a little and didn’t give me anything really new. DOA4 is my least favorite and I don’t even have to tell you why lol.

Is there anything you would like to see changed, added or deleted in DOA5LR such as character balance, more characters or stages?

More stages and more characters. Also some buffs for Genfu please!

Any players you enjoy watching or would like to play against?

MASTER is awesome to fight and he lives like 45 from me. Lopedo is great to fight too. I like fighting kwiggles because he's constantly adapting and has no real weakness. You just have to figure out what mindset he's in at that moment to beat him.

Do you have any mentors in DOA?

Nah.

How is the Texas scene been? Can you tell us more about your scene and the players you have over there? Are there any ways you can think of improving your scene and its growth?

Texas scene is good. I just wish we would meet up more. There are a lot of players.

Who are the players need to be aware of in Texas?

JFK dallaz is good when he doesn’t get in his own head and fyrenecromancer is someone to watch out for. He hasn’t been playing long and has already done some damage in tourneys.

Do you have a personal tier list on DOA5LR?

Ehh I don’t really pay attention to tiers much. I think every character can win. Genfu and Christie are the top 2 though.

If you were to pick moments that define you in DOA, what would they be and why?

I have two moments that I’d say define me. I won 5 straight DOA5U tournaments including ROF3 in paris in an excellent set with Gehaktbal and the other is the winners finals match I had with black mamba when I was down 0-2 and rallied to win. My legs were shaking lol

SweetRevenge vs Mamba

Any other games you play for fun or competitively?

I played MK9 a lot and really should start playing 10 lol. I play rocket league for fun on ps4 and some of the sports games too.

If you could create a DOA character from scratch for DOA6, How would you make that character? Gender? Martial Arts? Default Costume?

Hmm that’s a good question.

If you could give an advice for the aspiring competitive DOA player, what would you say?

Keep at it and go to offline tournaments whenever you can. The knowledge you can gain is amazing. The people are great. IMO nothing is better than hanging out with people who share your hobbies.

Do you have a Twitter, Facebook or Youtube channel people can follow you on?

Yeah my facebook name and youtube channel is Matt Kieffer

Any last messages? Shoutouts?

Shoutouts to the whole community lol. I could list every player because everyone is awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dark-truth

Uhm why isn't that one question answered the character one it just "hmm that's a good question" is that for a certain reason? Anyways great interview :D It was fun to read and good luck sweet

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD