[NEC Edition] The International Interviews: #17 MASTER

ikodomo

“It's not just about winning anymore, it's about what you do with that win”
-MASTER

As we approach our final NEC interview, I wanted to end this with the Showstopper. Majority if not all DOA players from all over the globe probably have heard about this specific player. This player does not need any introductions. Participating as one of the premier and stronger competitors in the NEC field this year, Master will be bringing his highly accoladed Hayabusa into the NEC mix. With having Master participate in any DOA tournament, this makes this tournament much more interesting.

e6vj1c.jpg.

How did you come up with the name MASTER?

I came up with the name MASTER a long time ago pretty much during the early SEGA Dreamcast days when Phantasy Star online was out. You had to name your character so I chose MASTER. A bunch of random names came to mind, but I really wanted something people would see and respect. Of course you also had to back it up so I made sure to be the person that actually could be fitting of the name for once. However, during the last 4 or 5 years, I’ve realized how unique the name MASTER really is and if it was just coincidence that I picked it. MASTER is a very flexible name. Some people see it as bad name in the sense of slave owner which I never really saw it that way. Others see it as sensei or ‘grand master’, that Ultimate figure of something. “MASTER’s” or the word ‘MASTER’ is unique because it has its own rules. It’s not like a KING, a LORD, an Emperor or GOD. MASTER’s don’t really rule over something but yet they sometimes have an equal amount of respect as names I listed. What I like about the name MASTER most is that it isn’t something that follows the same path as the other names but instead creates its own path. Recently I’ve seen the name MASTER as the sharer of Knowledge or simply ‘Teacher’. I do like to share or teach what I find in DOA once I understand it and others usually benefit from it. That I believe is important. To share something new or cool and have everyone grow because of it. I guess you could say I didn’t really learn to appreciate the name MASTER until just recently HAHAHA. (Always learning my ninja)

Who is your main character in DOA5LR?

My main character is Hayabusa the super ninja of Ninja Gaiden. I do play other characters but VERY RARELY in competitive play.

Why did you decide on picking Hayabusa over all the cast? Can you breakdown your character?

It was a very simple choice as to why I picked Hayabusa to be honest. I was playing a demo of the game on SEGA Dreamcast and was using Kasumi initially. Of course during her story mode you always had to fight Hayabusa. You weren’t allowed to select him in the demo. I didn’t even realize, at the moment, it was the Ninja Gaiden Character. As I fought against the character several times he finally held one of my punches and off to the sky I went. My initial reaction was ‘wow that’s pretty high’ followed by ‘WTF just happened on my screen’ when Hayabusa followed up by teleported to the sky so swiftly, grabbed me and began to scream as he came twirling down to the ground. Tecmo/Team NINJA made an easy sale that day. Interesting fact was that I didn’t even care if the character was good at the time. I just knew I wanted to do that to people over and over again. Haven’t dropped him since.

How long have you been playing DOA casually and competitively?

I’ve been playing DOA since 1999 I believe. That’s when DOA2 was released on consoles and a few arcades. Competitively I’ve been playing since 2004 I think. The DOA community started having its first initial offline events and the World Cyber Games had put DOA2U into its competitive circuit the following year.

If you were to describe your play style in 3 words; What would they be?

Artistic, Strategic and Aggressive. I try to keep it entertaining during the fights ;)

Is there a glaring weakness you would like to improve upon?

I would say one weakness I have is knowing when to be flashy and when not to be. Along with doing more proper whiff punishing. I think I do a decent job but when I look back the tapes I know missed several opportunities.

What's your typical routine when preparing for an upcoming tournament?

I usually practice or focus on specific fight game fundamentals like spacing, punishing, execution and other things of that nature. Definitely play more offline either with others or in practice mode. I try to play as many hours a day the week before the tournament as well to fine tune setups and do some last minute testing on anything new I have come across.

Do you have any players you spar with for an upcoming tournament?

Usually spar with Sweet Revenge, Dallaz, DaReaper or best sometimes. They are all good players and if our schedule permits we get some quick sessions in.

Are you the type of person who listens to music or chat amongst friends right before a tournament start?

I usually chat with competitors and listen to the crowd. They are my music.

What are the tournaments you have attended? What were those results you had on those?

I have attended Summer Jam, DOA in Dallas 11, Absolute Battle and of course will be at NEC. Tied for 7th in the top 8 for SummerJam which is a first for me during my entire competitive career (hadn’t place lower than 5th ) and place 3rd at D.I.D.11. I’m hoping to bring home the gold though at NEC. There will be a lot of competition and I love learning new playstyles.

You've been more active this year going to tournaments such as Summer Jam 9 and Absolute Battle 6 and now you will be going to NEC XVI. Can you tell me about your experiences at Summer Jam 9 and Absolute Battle? How was it?

I love tournaments. It has always been the best way to test your skills against someone. Plus it’s like meeting family these days for me. I catch up with old friends and meet new faces. Also run into other top guys from other games and chat with them from time to time. What I love most though is meeting the fans or players that tell me “Man I never thought I’d meet or play you” Those experiences are priceless to me. Always enjoy the support and I do what I can to set time aside for those ninjas.

Any upcoming tournaments you will be participating in the near future?

I may potentially go to more tournaments this next upcoming year, but participating is TBD. I’ll leave it at that.

How do you think you will do in this year's NEC?

Is that even a real question? I plan to go hard this year with the shenanigans and take home the gold. Haha Tournaments make all players play differently and I always have a chance at taking it home so it will be interesting to see how it all goes down. #TeamOldSchool

Foreigners such as Netherland's own Gehaktbal, Japan's own Teru Rock and JC Akira will be participating in this year's NEC. What do you think about this? Good for the community? How do you think they will do in this tournament especially the Japanese players who haven't really ventured outside their comfort zone and into the US territory besides Mochi-A?

Definitely good for the community. More international players just makes the experience more fulfilling. Really gives you the feel of the best of the best. I think the Japanese players are trash, but Gehaktbal is pretty cool dude. Mochi-A should come back. He’s the ultimate trash! ;P

Do you think Team Ninja did a good job implementing a Capcom Cup tour like event like Battle Royale? What can they improve on this? Can you consider this a success?

I think it was a great idea. Wish more companies did stuff like this. Hats down to them for doing something amazing for the competitive community of DOA. However, I wouldn’t say it’s a total success yet. There obviously some things that could be improved on. I would say tone down the frequency of events to something like 4 or 5 major ones in different regions of the US to avoid having too many events right next to each other and have a dedicated Community person or Team focusing on just that series of events. The community websites can of course help with some of this, but the company itself I believe needs to definitely put the love into baking this project in to a complete success. They’ve been on the right track especially the second half of the year with constant community outreach. They need more of that.

Which version of DOA do you like and hate the most? Why?

That’s a good question. I really like all of them but the least one I liked was maybe DOA4 but even that one was pretty fun. My favorite version of the game is probably a tossup between DOA2U/LE and DOA Dimension. No one will ever appreciate the goodness that was DOAD. It had its flaws but so many things were going in the right direction especially the stun game. DOA2 is just a classic and the amount of content it had and creativity hasn’t been completely replicated since then. DOAD was close though.

Is there anything you would like to see changed, added or deleted in DOA5LR such as character balances, more characters or stages?

DOA5 has done some pretty cool things this time around, but one glaring problem that has plagued the DOA5 series is the same one DOA4 was plagued with, the stun system. DOA4’s stun system is the worst to date and unfortunately it got carried over to DOA5 instead of DOAD’s system being carried over. That really needs to change. Definitely would like to see some new or older stages be brought over. Ariel Gardens with breakable stone lamps from DOA2 and freedom survivor from DOAD are my top picks for old stages to come back. DOA is all about environment and the more creative environments there is the better. I think we’re good in the character department, No more Kasumi’s please haha. Also can we stop nerfing Hayabusa? I’m just asking :p

Any players you enjoy watching or would like to play against

I like watching other top players and playing against them. It’s always a good challenge and entertaining to see.

Do you have any mentors in DOA?

I actually didn’t have the luxury of having mentors. There wasn’t a go to Hayabusa for me when I played the game find out strats. I created them explored and tested things and became the go to Hayabusa player. I had great sparring partners back then and even now, but not really mentors.

How is the Texas scene been? Can you tell us more about your scene and the players you have over there? Are there any ways you can think of improving your scene and its growth? Who are the players need to be aware of in Texas?

Texas scene has a lot of skilled players and steadily growing. I think having more local events in texas will help it grow more so hopefully we can come together more often and make the scene bigger. Players to look out for are Sweet Revenge, E-mann and myself, but there are several other players I have been playing recently online that are going to start turning some heads I think if they keep getting better.

Do you have a personal tier list on DOA5LR?

I don’t have a complete personal tier list, but I would at least say the top 5 characters in no specific order is Lei Fang, Christie, Helena, Jackie and Gen Fu. FYI Hayabusa is low tier still.

If you were to pick any moments that define you in DOA, what would they be and why?

There are a lot of crazy moments in my DOA career, but one that defines me would be the time were I was at my lowest not because I was losing since I’ve always been a top player, but because the community had lost faith in me. I like to think that have a really good understanding of the game and only want what’s best for the series and community and most players understand that now. However, there was a time where anything I said was immediately twisted. Didn’t matter if it made sense or not. I had a conversation with a player several years ago and he said “Everything you say is automatically bad even if it’s actually good. That’s a tough position to be in and I honestly don’t know how you can even come out of it.” I said to the player “I’ll show you watch”. Since that experience not only has the community supported me again they have even gone above and beyond to share some of the things I’ve brought to the community and in some cases it doesn’t have to be DOA related. That’s an amazing feeling but most importantly I have grown to be stronger not only as player in a place were not many old school guys are around anymore but as person knowing how to deal with a very tough situation and not giving up. #ImAFighter

Any other games you play for fun or competitively?

I love playing Halo, Splatoon, SmashBros, League of Legends from time to time and Street Fighter. Nothing else competitively… at the moment.

If you could create a DOA character from scratch for DOA6, How would you create that character? Gender? Martial Arts? Default Costume?

If I made a character from scratch for DOA6, I would create the opposite version of Hayabusa in the sense of style. It would definitely be a male character and a ninja from the Hayabusa village (Maybe that young protégé from NG3). All his kick holds or expert kick holds would be some form of izunas including jumping kicks. His wannabe shoho izuna would be nothing, but kicks into the throw and his super launcher throw would be a kick animation instead of a throw one. He would most likely have the ninpo stance and be able to transition in several ways. That’s just thought off the top of my head. Not sure if people would like that haha.

Who are the DOA commentators you enjoy listening to?

I like listening to sWooZie, DrDogg, Shade is good too, Rabies has high energy and Chosen is pretty funny too. I personally like doing it too if I get the opportunity. Unfortunately, I’m usually on stage fighting haha.

What's your favorite food and beverages?

I like all kinds of food, but some form well-seasoned steak is probably what you’ll see me order at a restaurant. As for beverages, I like Wataaaaaa! On occasion I enjoy a good Mojito or bloody mary HAHA!

What are the best places people need to visit or dine in Texas?

Well very nice high class places would be the French Room in downtown Dallas. Very fancy and nice environment as well as The Mansion. Both classy places. For more laid back place, try Taco Diner in uptown or Glorias good mexican/sarlvadorian Tex Mex food. There’s a few barbecue places too, but I always forget the names haha!

If you could give an advice for the aspiring competitive DOA player, what would you say?

Stay positive, Haters always hate so learn to love it, not everybody wins so take your losses as a learning experience and make the best of your trips especially the ones you have victories in.

Any shout outs you would like to give out?

Thanks for the interview my ninja!

Shouts to everyone in the DOA community especially all of you that leave the comments here or on my social networks! I always read them all thank you guys for your time in doing so ;)

Do you have a Twitter, Facebook or Youtube channel people can follow you on?

Follow me here:

http://www.Twitch.tv/oMASTERo

http://www.Twitter.com/oMASTERo

http://www.Instagram.com/oMASTERo

http://www.Facebook.com/MASTERfb

SnapChat: oMASTERo

Periscope: @oMASTERo

11l4qrk.jpg

As we come to a close towards the NEC interviews, we open up a new chapter and start to pave a new road for the Main Event. In a matter of hours, no matter where we are, we all are about to witness one of the best events the DOA scene has ever held with plenty of strong competitors attending far and wide. From a well renowned player coming all the way from the Netherlands to the players flying all the way from the Rising Sun, we truly have our first International Event from the players who are considered the best in their respective countries. This is just the beginning. The Pre-Show has ended. Let the Main Event begin. This is NEC 2015.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
MASTER!!! The DOA Superhero!! Enthusiast of the Izuna Drop! Looking forward to seeing you steal the show at NEC this weekend dude! Hopefully someone can keep a count of how many unfortunate souls get Izuna Dropped at this event.

Good stuff guys! I enjoyed the interview :)!

Definitely good for the community. More international players just makes the experience more fulfilling. Really gives you the feel of the best of the best. I think the Japanese players are trash, but Gehaktbal is pretty cool dude. Mochi-A should come back. He’s the ultimate trash! ;P

Lol... SHOTS FIRED!

Darkslay

The legend himself, what a way to end it, similarly to Mr. Wah's interview, MASTER is a part of DOA history, very few players like him are seen in fighting game communities, a man of his people.

I also think a lot of people can relate to the way he started using Hayabusa, he just saw dat Izuna for the first time and immediately lost his shit, we've all been there. ;)

As for beverages, I like Wataaaaaa!
Yeeeeeah that's right! This man knows what's up! #LeeJann

NEC will be a new paragraph will be made in DOA history this weekend, shame i couldn't join the party, but there's always next time. Best of luck to all competitors and remember;
We Are Fighters NEC.png

TOMA SAN

Standard Donor
Great interview, in France we like master, for the player, and as a guy he looks really cool and gentle. he share lot of skill and make pedagogy with other player(in vidéo or stream) to share what he know i respect that.
knowledge need to be share, knowledge is the power.
PS : sorry for my english i still learning...

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD