DOA5U Need help with some of Hayabusa's moves

Lulu

i14

Unless you mean the OH, which is really, really slow.

Hmmm.... I suppose thats kinda quick.... I don't know which one is worse, being counter hit and getting launched or getting normal hit by it and getting stunned.

Yeah Catch Grabs are slower than I thought appearently. Turns out the active frames of the catch grab are the actual frames its hold properties are activated..... and at 16 Frames thats not particularly useful at disadvantage. :(

Brute

Standard Donor
Hmmm.... I suppose thats kinda quick.... I don't know which one is worse, being counter hit and getting launched or getting normal hit by it and getting stunned.
Being launched is worse. Being NH stunned by it leaves you in a 50/50 chance to guess right and reverse the momentum. If Ryu cancels the string after landing WR4K on NH, he's left at -3. If he goes for the "hop-cancel" (WR4K7P) he's left at -16. So he's primarily going to look to finish that string with either the mid K or the mid P. Given the benefits are far better from landing the P, you can incorporate that into the meta.

Yeah Catch Grabs are slower than I thought appearently. Turns out the active frames of the catch grab are the actual frames its hold properties are activated..... and at 16 Frames thats not particularly useful at disadvantage. :(
Well, catch grabs are not OHs, but I know what you mean. And while a standard OH is i16 (and is actually quite useful), Ryu's handstand OH is actually i21 (and is his fastest OH). So... yeah. Ryu.

Lulu

Being launched is worse. Being NH stunned by it leaves you in a 50/50 chance to guess right and reverse the momentum. If Ryu cancels the string after landing WR4K on NH, he's left at -3. If he goes for the "hop-cancel" (WR4K7P) he's left at -16. So he's primarily going to look to finish that string with either the mid K or the mid P. Given the benefits are far better from landing the P, you can incorporate that into the meta.

Yeah I saw that..... its got fantastic relaunch properties but the offset is using the first attack only has a massively huge recovery..... its the only thing keep that move in check. YAY !!!

Well, catch grabs are not OHs, but I know what you mean. And while a standard OH is i16 (and is actually quite useful), Ryu's handstand OH is actually i21 (and is his fastest OH). So... yeah. Ryu.

:eek: Huh !!! I never bothered to ask what the difference was when I first heard the term..... so what is a catch grab then ?

Brute

Standard Donor
Yeah I saw that..... its got fantastic relaunch properties but the offset is using the first attack only has a massively huge recovery..... its the only thing keep that move in check. YAY !!!

:eek: Huh !!! I never bothered to ask what the difference was when I first heard the term..... so what is a catch grab then ?
Catch grabs were used in past DOA games, and you can essentially view them as throws that could overpower strikes. They didn't reside in the triangle system as "holds," meaning that if the opponent executed a faster throw at the same time as a catch grab, the faster one would win with CH damage (125%). This is opposed to OHs, which cannot connect at all if the opponent enters a standard throw animation (meaning the standard throw always wins, regardless which is faster). Furthermore, if an OH is countered with a standard throw, the damage received is HiC (150%).

For reference: there are no catch grabs in DOA5, only OHs.

Lulu

Catch grabs were used in past DOA games, and you can essentially view them as throws that could overpower strikes. They didn't reside in the triangle system as "holds," meaning that if the opponent executed a faster throw at the same time as a catch grab, the faster one would win with CH damage (125%). This is opposed to OHs, which cannot connect at all if the opponent enters a standard throw animation (meaning the standard throw always wins, regardless which is faster). Furthermore, if an OH is countered with a standard throw, the damage received is HiC (150%).

Woah !!! ThaT seems powerful.

Lulu

It was. A bit too much so, which is why we thankfully only have OHs in DOA5.

HELL YEAH !!! :D
I love this game. Glad its finally on PC.

Wow you can Buffer :2_::4::K: in the Recovery of crouching moves using: :4::K: before he stands up.... talk about optimizing.
:2_::4::K:....:4::K:....:4::K:....:4::K:....:4::K: I can do that sh!T all day..... but it won't retrack for some reason... :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

KING JAIMY

Wow you can Buffer :2_::4::K: in the Recovery of crouching moves using: :4::K: before he stands up.... talk about optimizing.
:2_::4::K:....:4::K:....:4::K:....:4::K:....:4::K: I can do that sh!T all day..... but it won't retrack for some reason... :confused:
Yeah it works after 9K, 3P+K.P+K, 3H+K / 4PK / PP4PK, and WR H+K as well. Or any low attack except for 1K and 2K

Lulu

Yeah it works after 3P+K.P+K, 3H+K / 4PK / PP4PK, and WR H+K as well. Or any low attack except for 1K and 2K

Really...... Thanks.... saves me the trouble of having to test them myself. ;)

Also it turns out Hayabusa is a "Frame Shaving Monster" using stance cancelling... he's better at it than Jan Lee.... Thats what I was upto this weekend.... seeing which characters are good at it.

Brute

Standard Donor
Really...... Thanks.... saves me the trouble of having to test them myself. ;)

Also it turns out Hayabusa is a "Frame Shaving Monster" using stance cancelling... he's better at it than Jan Lee.... Thats what I was upto this weekend.... seeing which characters are good at it.
Except that his poke speeds become way slower and way riskier after jumping into ongyoin stance.

Lulu

Except that his poke speeds become way slower and way riskier after jumping into ongyoin stance.

As long as the opponent doesn't know that then I'm good. ;)

Besides he's got all highs and mids covered with his Onion Parry and he can hop over lows with his Teleport Attacks and the jumping ones.... and he can strike out throws....
Essentially the Onion Stance locks you and the opponent into a mini mind game. I love it !!! :oops:

:2_::4::K::9::P: okay so the Uzakaze makes you Hayabusa even more negative than if he just did the handstand by itself..... but according to the move details he transitions from jumping to crouching then standing. My only guess is its suppose to throw off the timing for throw punishing....

Last edited by a moderator:

Brute

Standard Donor
As long as the opponent doesn't know that then I'm good. ;)

Besides he's got all highs and mids covered with his Onion Parry and he can hop over lows with his Teleport Attacks and the jumping ones.... and he can strike out throws....
Essentially the Onion Stance locks you and the opponent into a mini mind game. I love it !!! :oops:

:2_::4::K::9::P: okay so the Uzakaze makes you Hayabusa even more negative than if he just did the handstand by itself..... but according to the move details he transitions from jumping to crouching then standing. My only guess is its suppose to throw off the timing for throw punishing....
Well, yeah. If you want to risk a HiC throw with a super-long recovery animation then you can go for the ongyoin parry. Unlike kasumi's standalone teleport parry, Ryu's has a good chunk of recovery, however, and often you are left at substantial negative frames (let alone getting anything guaranteed).
The teleport attacks aren't fast enough to neutralize most low pokes. You'll have to be quite far away or faced with an exceptionally slow low in order for that to work.

The mind-game is at it's most favorable to Ryu after 66K, and there it basically boils down to "Will you do 6P+K or not?" This also happens to be Ryu's most aggressive neutral game offensive, and being a derpy 50/50 between a -15 mid or bust, it's a pretty laughable situation.

Lulu

Well, yeah. If you want to risk a HiC throw with a super-long recovery animation then you can go for the ongyoin parry. Unlike kasumi's standalone teleport parry, Ryu's has a good chunk of recovery, however, and often you are left at substantial negative frames (let along getting anything guaranteed).
The teleport attacks aren't fast enough to neutralize most low pokes. You'll have to be quite far away or faced with an exceptionally slow low in order for that to work.

The mind-game is at it's most favorable to Ryu after 66K, and there it basically boils down to "Will you do 6P+K or not?" This also happens to be Ryu's most aggressive neutral game offensive, and being a derpy 50/50 between a -15 mid or bust, it's a pretty laughable situation.

Well its not as good as Bayman's Blender but its something..... the last thing I want is my opponent getting away from me to start shenanigans of their own..... I'm gona need to do something about those lows....

You know what sucks... when you put alot of thought into crafting a strategy to bait out a specific attack you want..... and then it doesn't work. LoL... hate it when that happens.

Brute

Standard Donor
Well its not as good as Bayman's Blender but its something..... the last thing I want is my opponent getting away from me to start shenanigans of their own..... I'm gona need to do something about those lows....
It's not much. Any opponent with a brain will shut-down ongyoin in the blink of an eye.

Lulu

Okay so we all know theres a Secret Way to perform While Crouching moves without actually crouching: :6::3:

Is there a some secrete way to get WR Moves to come out quickly...... I just saw Master perform the handstand immediately after:8::P: with out even the slightest hint of a visible crouch ? Is he really that good or is there some dark Sorcery at work here ?

I perform my WR moves by either low punching into them VF Style (I do this when I'm lazy) or by :3: crouching forward or Crouch Dashing Forward.
So my hand stand looks like :3::4::K:/:F: or:3::3::4::K:/:F:..... its fast enough to not be reactable but not fast enough to juggle with since Hayabusa does that while standing up straight.

Edit: actually I have performed it without crouching..... for some reason it works if I just tap :2: which causes Hayabusa to Free Step into the ForeGround. But thats not exactly helpful since I'm pretty sure thats not the secret buffering method.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD