Community "New Blood" Post-TFC Interview

TFC was one hell of a fight for everyone involved, but at the end of it all everyone had a great time. I spoke with the top three to get their insight on not just the tournament, but what these normally quiet dudes think of the game and where it's at now.

DOAN: Now that you are TFC champion, what are you plans for the future, and where do you plan to go with DOA on a competitive level now that you have proven so much?

Kwiggles: When it comes to future goals, I'm still a college student so I'm working on graduating. Just one more year and I'll have my bachelors, I am definitely still going to be playing DOA competitively. I love the game and the friends I've made through it, and I will be looking forward to LR and any future DOA games.

DOAN: I watched Sonic Fox try to hand his controller to XcaliburBladeZ during the contest on stream, was this a mind game, or was this Xcal complaining about his controller? lol

Sonic Fox: Oh I was just letting him control the title screen and pick what music he wanted and such ha xD….

DOAN: So Xcal, How do you feel about the balance between Vanilla and Ultimate, and mechanically, which game did you prefer?

XcaliburBladeZ: Overall my experience with vanilla was great and my favorite concept was the ground game... every character had their own way to manipulate it everyone was happy with their character and mechanically was almost similar to DOA5U despite the combo potential. I like Ultimate but when I first got the game it felt like I was playing vanilla but without the ground game. I loved it but almost every character was nerfed lmao overall I preferred vanilla.

10473498_367688320064017_1145161048456374877_n.jpg

DOAN: Kwiggles, why do you think you won TFC? Clearly you were the best that day, but what contributed to that?

Kwiggles: When it comes to winning TFC, there were numerous things that contributed. First I wanted show that all of my practice and time and playing the game has paid off. I have been on a tournament streak for the last year and was hoping to show that all of those worked up to the big win.

Secondly, there were numerous players who beat me in previous tournaments who I wanted to show I am a whole new player lol, y'all might’ve gave me the whoopin’ before but I got y'all numbers now!! XD

Another factor would be losing to my little brother that first game in top 8, tbh I got angry lol I had to show everyone what I really do to this guy at home and was just waiting to pay him back for that loss lol.

DOAN: Sonic Fox, how often do you train with your brother… on an average how many hours of DOA do you play a week?

Sonic Fox: I train with him occasionally, maybe 3-4 hours per week?

DOAN: Who won the sets at the airport… and was there money involved?

Sonic Fox: At the airport we were just trolling around. We thought it was a funny thing to do so we did xD.

DOAN: I heard on Facebook that you and your brother dropped your previous sponsor, RG… why is that, and what are your plans for the future regarding this?

Sonic Fox: I dropped RG because the company was going downhill and my sponsor wasn't doing his part of the deal near the end. I love Joe but he just needs to work things out.

DOAN: So Xcal, despite all the nerfs, what made you bring back Alpha-152 for TFC? I admit she was on point, and it was incredible to see her used that way during the course of the tournament.

XcaliburBladeZ: Even with the nerfs I decided to do the only thing I can, continue playing her and finding out new tech with Alpha and there's more to it than that. She's so exiting to play and even if people don't like to admit, she's hype to watch and stands out from the rest of the cast dramatically which catches people's attention. I might be a villain for using her but overall she's nothing like she was in vanilla so it's time adapt people!

DOAN: Good answer. What’s your training regime, and how often do you play to balance out homework and school?

XcaliburBladeZ: Training and balancing school isn't really that hard and my abilities are not getting rusty so I don't really need to sit there and put the pieces back together after not playing for a while, and whenever I am training I'll be online fighting net warriors when I'm bored lol and I'm young so you know I got a lot of time.

DOAN: Group Question: How was Last Round? I know there weren’t any balance changes added, but was anybody able to pull off a death combo on Danger Zone?

Kwiggles: Well just looking at the game, LR looks great on next gen. It was an old build so I'm sure there will be numerous changes and I can't wait to see what changes the characters get. Unfortunately no I wasn't able to see or pull off any death combos. PS4 d-pad sucks!!!

Sonic Fox: I loved Last Round although the danger zone needs to be toned down! I found a way to take 90% life and knock you off the cliff twice.

XcaliburBladeZ: Danger Zone is absolutely insane! DOA needed that one stage that just makes you go omg here we go. I remember playing on the free set ups they had for like 5 hours straight doing casuals with everyone on that stage and Sorwah would come back every hour and be like you’re still here?!

Me and Sonic Fox both created death combos he did one with Rachel and I got one with Alpha... There's talk about it getting banned, but I don't see the point if Master can do 90% combos on you in the home and we haven't banned that stage yet, then we should keep it.

DOAN: Kwiggles, what was your favorite off-camera moment that the streamers didn’t see?

Kwiggles: My favorite off screen moment had to have been when I and all the DOA players went out to eat. Seeing the community laughing and having a good time (drinking and stuffing their faces) was awesome. Everyone was having amazing conversations and it felt like a circle of friends that went far beyond video gaming.

DOAN: And Xcal, you seem to be one of the quiet members of the community, but really you actually have a lot to say, what were your overall thoughts on TFC?

XcaliburBladeZ: In the end, even though I didn't take the gold… I had the most fun hanging out with everyone... I'll be coming out to NEC and maybe KIT, and I'll be coming for those Christie brothers.

DOAN: Kwiggles, you had a dinner with Tom Lee after the qualifiers tournament before TFC. Do you think that tournament actually gave you a confidence boost before TFC, and how was the dinner?

Kwiggles: Ah, I was hoping you would mention the qualifier tournament. After I won that tournament it definitely gave me a confidence boost. I got to match up against Sweet Revenge and Master and showed them how much I improved since last time we faced. It was a small preview of what they would have to fear the next day!! LOL JK, but it was a good feeling. Basically I get bragging rights for winning the qualifier and the big one… love you all!

DOAN: Any last words, comments, shout-outs?

10641010_825211940832229_3254657809778218896_n.jpg

Kwiggles: In closing comments I just want to thank Tom Lee, Big E, Shin Blanka, Team NINJA, and Team Sp00ky for the event. Wouldn't have been able to win it if it weren't for them. Also want to shout out my friends: Emann, Chosen 1, Shade Swifteye, Lopedo, and many more who have supported me along the way. You guys are awesome!! Christie POWA!!

Sonic Fox: Shout outs to all of the NRS community, DOA Community, and my brother for winning TFC hehe. It's ok, I'll have my run back on top of the run back at another tourney!

Also shout out to Tom Lee, Team NINJA, and Big E, and Shin Blanka for the event!

XcaliburBladeZ: I want to shout out: Tom lee, Yasushi Tani, Gehaktbal and NL Tijger for coming out all the way from Netherlands I thought that was amazing! Ninja CW for showing what Nyo Tengu all about, and everyone I had a kick ass time with!

Last edited:
Kwiggles is definitely my favorite DOA player at the moment. Not to mention, he's really easy on the eyes. His Christie is beautiful and fun to watch.

Man, I really like reading these. Thanks for the work, DOAN, and thanks to the TFC Top 3 for their great words and greater matches.

Missed the obvious question for Sonic Fox. With him doing so well in all the games he plays, why hasn't he tried USFIV or Marvel yet?

Hey! I actually watch the matches, because that's what they show on stream. But then I get happy when I get to see Kwiggles face. Lol

Umm what the... xD

Missed the obvious question for Sonic Fox. With him doing so well in all the games he plays, why hasn't he tried USFIV or Marvel yet?

We tried playing playing both we hate em! Lol too many TOD's in marvel. Street fighter he plays a little but not competitively. We are both waiting on MKX to add to our arsenal :D possibly tekken 7 depending on how it turns out and if zafina is in it..games are always trying to get rid if my mains just like setsuka in soul calibur :(

Last edited by a moderator:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD