..... zack vs honoka ..... stage: throwdown ................. 18:58
..... zack vs honoka ..... stage: the muscle ................. 23:39
..... zack vs honoka ..... stage: doa colosseum ......... 27:20
christie vs kasumi ...... stage: the muscle ................. 31:56
christie vs kasumi ...... stage: miyabi .......................... 37:37
..... zack vs kasumi ...... stage: miyabi .......................... 44:00
...... zack vs kasumi ..... stage: forbidden fortune ... 47:17
...... zack vs kasumi ..... stage: doa colosseum ......... 50:16
honoka vs christie ..... stage: lost paradise .............. 55:10 ........ (X2)

* time code: "select character screen" before the fight

Last edited:

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
Long video. good quality. 60fps.

honoka vs christie ..... stage: lost paradise .............. 55:10 ........ (X2)

God, why are they so loud? xD

TOBMAST3R

Thanks for posting. Sadly, at 37:37 and 44:00, this is not Miyabi. It is "Hidden Garden". The Miyabi part was not available to the public at that time.

Dr PaC

56:23 One of them figured out how to teabag, lol

Truth

Wow with this new autumn stage this game is shaping up to be so beautiful. It’s like how I fantasised next ven games to look when the ps3 was still new

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Wow with this new autumn stage this game is shaping up to be so beautiful. It’s like how I fantasised next ven games to look when the ps3 was still new

DOA4 on the Xbox360 already had such great looking stages. I honestly don't think the DOA6 stages look any better than DOA4 stages. Not even in details like texture quality or polygon modelling, which would naturally improve a whole generation along.
Before I saw your post I was actually going to point out how barren and lifeless the Myabi/Hidden Garden stage is, even though it is so far the best looking DOA6 stage and the only stage that feels at least a bit like the stages of older games.
The pond for example, its water is crystal clear and see-through, why the hell didn't they put anything in there, like fishes circling the water?
Also, the low standing sun and the tall trees circling the stage would've been perfect for some pretty god rays shining into the arena, especially directly over the pond. There is nothing like that to give it that extra bit of atmosphere. Then there are some red maple leaves falling around the stage (I'm still talking about Hidden Garden, not Myabi where some leaves sparingly dot the ground), why aren't any of those leaves on the barren ground for some extra drop of color and texture? I know this would be asking a bit too much, but a similar effect, even if considerably downgraded, would've been perfect for that stage:

42824697732_dc60d08041_o.gif

Artistically the stages are blander than ever. Every good idea they had, they didn't think through or they didn't fully realize. The stages seem like raw sketches that are still missing half the detailing.

Last edited:

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
For the money and budget Team NINJA has... their production quality absolutely blows my mind. I'm not thinking about leaves blowing in my face when I'm fighting, but I do think of fantastic animation. I appreciate details like that, but you haven't even seen the final product of the game yet and it already busts a nut on any fighting game out there.

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
remember guys that this game has to run on the stock xbone which is not very powerful at all. I'm hoping that they put enough into the game so that the PC guys can punish their gpu's with the lighting and model details and stuff.

EDIT: Zack looks so fuckin creepy without his shades.

legibifou

I don't think the power of XBOX one is the explanation, because if we compare the verrrrry old Forest stage on first xbox (DOA3) and the "updated" one on xbox 360 (DOA5U)... well. No comment. It's probably a question of money or artistic view, but it was possible to have wonderful stages in 2001 (!) that look better (in my opinion) that actual stage, nearly 15 years after.
doa3_forest.jpg
DOA5U_Forest_1.jpg

Lycanthrope -R-

Some artistic tricks are definitely in play for the DOA3 forest, but it looks like the main problem with the DOA5 version is that everything is bright and over-saturated. Detail is being lost that way.

ShinobiOfTheWind

I don't think the power of XBOX one is the explanation, because if we compare the verrrrry old Forest stage on first xbox (DOA3) and the "updated" one on xbox 360 (DOA5U)... well. No comment. It's probably a question of money or artistic view, but it was possible to have wonderful stages in 2001 (!) that look better (in my opinion) that actual stage, nearly 15 years after.
View attachment 26598View attachment 26599
I do agree ! The past DOA stages were just awesome, even 18 years ago, they were way better than now... . they lost all their magic touch and it's so ashamed ... . They just could bring them back the way they were before, without changing anything and would still be better than what they can do now. and i don't think the budget is smaller than before. (and they developped their own creation engine, so they don't have to pay for Unreal engine 4 etc...)

Tyaren

Standard Donor
View attachment 26598View attachment 26599

This.
As I said it's mostly an artistic matter. The stages lack masterful artistry. The beach stage of DOA3 is also an example that still looks better than any beach stage that we've seen after that. Not because of console power, but because the environment artists had vision and I guess that little extra dose of talent. As an artist myself I think I am allowed to say it: There are artists who are more talented than others. There are many when I look at their work I think: I'd never be able to do that. Even years and years of practice just wouldn't ever let me reach their masterful artistry. I honestly believe Team Ninja under Itagaki had some of the best evironment artists in the entire industry.

Honestly, look at the comparison above. They tried to recreate the exact same stage over a decade later and they just couldn't do it. All atmosphere is gone, it looks very garish and artificial.

And, yeah, there is on top of that the question of how much money and time they do now invest in the stages. Even if their artists were super talented, a lack of time and money would definitely cripple the outcome.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Uh, it's a money thing. We're extremely lucky to have DOA5; and especially lucky to have DOA6. Microsoft was not going to let DOA3 be an ugly game at launch. Halo and Dead or Alive 3 were designed to give people reasons not to buy the PS2.

Because of publish demands, exclusive Dead or Alive titles always flourish because more money can be dumped into art. If the team runs out, they simply run to them and ask for more.

Itagaki also ran his studio with an iron fist. He took no slackers in his studio. Now Team NINJA and Tecmo listen to KOEI. Regardless of what people think about the games KOEI makes, the production quality is usually quite ugly and they are seen by some as lazy devs.

SaihateDYNAMO

I'm no expert on game development (so sorry if this sounds dumb) but i think it goes both ways. Money and budget play a humongous role when it comes to visuals but i think a game could have the budget of a billion dollars and still look bland if the artists and designers vision is bland too. You can have low-budget games that look unique and expensive games that look stale and generic. I think that truly creative artists should be able to stretch their dollar/time and still be able to make something nice-looking, not as nice as something with more money and time put into it but I still want to feel the passion and talent in the project. I don't mean anything too overly-ambitious like Aerial Gardens or Lorelei obviously but making good scenery still relies on people who know how to turn a basic concept, like a Japanese town in autumn for example, to something that pops with the same amount of time and effort that it would have taken to make Hidden Gardens. I think that's what Tyaren meant by them looking like rough sketches? Different people can interpret different ideas and concepts in different ways and I feel like the stage designers just don't have that creativity. What we have now looks half-baked in concept and it's not COMPLETELY related to the budget. I'm not asking for DOA2U levels of beauty and architecture because realistically the money just isn't there but at the same time the stages shouldn't be looking as plain as they are. It's possible to strike a decent balance and give the stages their own identity. I will say that Miyabi looks nice just based on how long it could potentially be. It's supposed to be a town so I think we might be getting a lot of stuff there.

Also is there a general DOA6 stage discussion thread? If not that should totally be a thing

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
The stages clearly aren't completely polished... this is made evident by Christie's reveal trailer alone. In some cases, Team NINJA has been too open, maybe their release window for DOA6 needs to be delayed, but it sounds set in stone to me.

We will just have to hope that some stages get the touches that the characters got from EVO showing to now. Because to me the facial construction and move animation proves how good Team NINJA is. Stages will likely be the last thing to get polish.

Truth

DOA4 on the Xbox360 already had such great looking stages. I honestly don't think the DOA6 stages look any better than DOA4 stages. Not even in details like texture quality or polygon modelling, which would naturally improve a whole generation along.
Before I saw your post I was actually going to point out how barren and lifeless the Myabi/Hidden Garden stage is, even though it is so far the best looking DOA6 stage and the only stage that feels at least a bit like the stages of older games.
The pond for example, its water is crystal clear and see-through, why the hell didn't they put anything in there, like fishes circling the water?
Also, the low standing sun and the tall trees circling the stage would've been perfect for some pretty god rays shining into the arena, especially directly over the pond. There is nothing like that to give it that extra bit of atmosphere. Then there are some red maple leaves falling around the stage (I'm still talking about Hidden Garden, not Myabi where some leaves sparingly dot the ground), why aren't any of those leaves on the barren ground for some extra drop of color and texture? I know this would be asking a bit too much, but a similar effect, even if considerably downgraded, would've been perfect for that stage:

42824697732_dc60d08041_o.gif

Artistically the stages are blander than ever. Every good idea they had, they didn't think through or they didn't fully realize. The stages seem like raw sketches that are still missing half the detailing.
I see where you're coming from. The beach stage is actually the reason I got DOA4. We need more saturation and accent colours and moving parts. The consequent DOAs have attempted realism with earthy grey tones and in turn put all the fun in campy corny DLC costumes. The balance is not correct.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD