New to FSD? Introduce yourself here.

The original Xbox is a fantastic console. My personal favorite. Make sure you identify which revision yours is though. All revisions except for the v1.6/v1.6b have a faulty clock capacitor that will leak electrolyte onto the motherboard, causing massive corrosion and ultimately destroying it. If your Xbox is an earlier revision (v1.0-v1.5), you need to remove that capacitor ASAP. There is a good chance that it is already leaking.
Thanks. I've heard about this and watched some videos on youtube. I would need to send mine to a pro since I wouldn't trust myself to take apart. However I checked the manufactures date and it says 2005-07-14. Is it possible I have the v1.6/1.6b?

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
That's almost certainly a 1.6 model unless they were clearing out old stock or something. I have an '04 Xbox and it's a 1.6. Pros: no capacitor hard mod required Cons: 1.6 requires a hardmod for backups/imports in order to play 3.1/3.2 but good luck finding an OG Xbox modchip in 2018

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
So... isn't this clock capacitor important ? More importantly how do you remove it without damaging the rest of the Board...

If your Xbox is a 1.0-1.5, then no, the capacitor is not important at all. Just break the fucker off, or desolder it.

I would need to send mine to a pro since I wouldn't trust myself to take apart.

Nonsense. The Xbox is very easy to dissemble and the capacitor is very easy to remove. The Xbox is probably the easiest game console to take apart. So easy, a caveman could do it.

I checked the manufactures date and it says 2005-07-14. Is it possible I have the v1.6/1.6b?

That is definitely a 1.6b. Yours actually appears to be of the very last Xboxes ever manufactured, as they stopped doing so around August of 2005.

1.6 requires a hardmod for backups/imports in order to play 3.1/3.2 but good luck finding an OG Xbox modchip in 2018

What? Where are you reading your info, grap3? 1.6 Xboxes do not require a hardmod to play backups or disable the region lock and they still make the Aladdin XT PLUS2 modchip today.

Lulu

If your Xbox is a 1.0-1.5, then no, the capacitor is not important at all. Just break the fucker off, or desolder it.

I'm assuming Capacitors can be soldered back on right ? Assuming you have any spare Capacitors lying around... stuck in old VCRs.... ah... that takes me back. :)

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
I'm assuming Capacitors can be soldered back on right ? Assuming you have any spare Capacitors lying around

Yes, you can replace capacitors and will have to do so on occasion, as they do go bad. This particular capacitor is pretty pointless to replace though, so most people just remove it and leave it like that.

You don't have to have old capacitors lying around either. You can buy new ones. Just make sure the new ones have all the same values as the old ones.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
What? Where are you reading your info, grap3? 1.6 Xboxes do not require a hardmod to play backups or disable the region lock and they still make the Aladdin XT PLUS2 modchip today.
I'm not current. I haven't looked into this since like 2012 and I'm trying to recall my personal experience from then. My mistake.

YEH

Introduce yourself here:

Someone who's interested in everything, and trying to choose the best to associate with.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Introduce yourself here:

Someone who's interested in everything, and trying to choose the best to associate with.
No one is interested in everything, stop lying. Anyway, welcome to FSD! I’m the bitter bitch of this forum so don’t mind me.

YEH

No one is interested in everything, stop lying. Anyway, welcome to FSD! I’m the bitter bitch of this forum so don’t mind me.
will-i-am_o_672952.jpg

Dr. Cheesesteak

Standard Donor
New player here. Started about a week ago. Doing Story Mode and have been mixing in a little tutorial and training here and there. But my controller needs some adjustment before I can truly commit a lot of time (dpad and analog stick are functioning differently).

Anyway, still deciding on who to main. So tough w/ so many, uhh, nice things to look at. But i have it narrowed down to these 7:
:nyotengu::momiji::lisa::leifang::honoka::zack::genfu:

btw, who's the artist behind those character icons and are there larger, full versions?

Giannola

New player here. Started about a week ago. Doing Story Mode and have been mixing in a little tutorial and training here and there. But my controller needs some adjustment before I can truly commit a lot of time (dpad and analog stick are functioning differently).

Anyway, still deciding on who to main. So tough w/ so many, uhh, nice things to look at. But i have it narrowed down to these 7:

btw, who's the artist behind those character icons and are there larger, full versions?
Hi and welcome!

Bacaww

Dear God another Gen fu main incom- I mean welcome to FSD! I hope you enjoy your stay here, as for your question I believe Mr Wah designed them but I'm not too sure.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD