New to FSD? Introduce yourself here.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Hi everyone, I don't know a lot of things about DOA, I played DOA2 and DOA5 casually when they got released but quickly drop them because I was more of a Tekken person back in the days. But I'm not anymore, so I'm really excited about both SCVI and DOA6 !

I bought LR recently and I am really enjoying it but I suck, so I read a lot of gameplay topics on the forum which are really well made. I also watch a lot of guides and tournaments to try to understand the game better.

I've got something to ask, is it viable to play DOA in a standard way on a pad (with your right thumb on the buttons) in mapping P+K and H+K on the triggers or is it better to play it in a Claw style ?

When I play on pad I use the following settings mainly because I don't like macros.

Square, triangle, Cross, Circle
:P:,:K:,:h:,:h:

L1, R1
:H+P+K:, :h:

:T: is just a macro for :H+P:
:s: is just a macro for :H+P+K:

I set L1 to the macro because I use the :8::H+P+K:side step and it's easier to pull the button when hitting :8: or :2: . But normally I just push all the face buttons for that anyways.

Shirataki Tsume

Hi everyone, I don't know a lot of things about DOA, I played DOA2 and DOA5 casually when they got released but quickly drop them because I was more of a Tekken person back in the days. But I'm not anymore, so I'm really excited about both SCVI and DOA6 !

I bought LR recently and I am really enjoying it but I suck, so I read a lot of gameplay topics on the forum which are really well made. I also watch a lot of guides and tournaments to try to understand the game better.

I've got something to ask, is it viable to play DOA in a standard way on a pad (with your right thumb on the buttons) in mapping P+K and H+K on the triggers or is it better to play it in a Claw style ?
Hi, Ceviche. Welcome to FSD. I'm a Tekken player as well and I play DOA and other fighting games pretty much the same way on pad. I use my 4 fingers on the attack/throw/guard buttons, and my index finger and middle finger being my main fingers because they are my fastest fingers, and I move around with the D-pad with my index finger. My thumb is kinda slow, that's why I don't use it when playing fighting games. I only use it when I play shooting games or action-adventure games, and I don't play those types of games often.

You can try that and see if it works for you. I really don't button bind, so I usually just go with the default settings of the controller.

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
Though he's already fixed his error. I was under the assumption he was pressing Square + Triangle (H+P), hence my comment.

And again, for me, I don't have a throw button. I have three H buttons.
This brings up an interesting question I suppose considering the layout that you have for your pads is really efficient and I had never considered that before.

What layout do you use for stick? I'm using a Hitbox but I've always wondered the best way to format the 6 button design.
:h::P::P+K:
:T::K::H+K:
Is what I'm currently using but it doesn't feel terribly intuitive. Since hitting macros yourself is easier on stick I suppose it would be better to go for a more streamlined layout like this?
:P::h::F+P+K:
:K::h:

Lulu

Since hitting macros yourself is easier on stick I suppose it would be better to go for a more streamlined layout like this?
:P::h::F+P+K:
:K::h:

Considering where you thumb would be then this one seems ideal... if you're comfortable with simultaneous button presses.

Speaking of which... does anyone know if VF5's guard throw escape technique works in DoA ?

For anyone who doesn't know what I mean... in VF5 you can guard attacks by holding down :h: and easily escape throws by pressing :P: when you get grabbed.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Has the added benefit of the throw macro being in the traditional spot like that of SF and VF.

LethalKasumi

Uhm. Hi. I used to be on DOAWorld in 2011 until... Idk. I went by the name Kasumi16 or LeifangxKasumi. With DOA6 coming out soon I wanted to be involved in the community again hence why I joined FSD.

My first game was DOAU as a child and I'm becoming an adult this year, in time for the DOA6 release.

DyByHands

My first game was DOAU as a child and I'm becoming an adult this year, in time for the DOA6 release.

These are my favorite kind of “gaming” stories. Like when people grow up with a franchise. I know many of us have, but still, it is great to hear.
Get comfortable and enjoy your stay :)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD