Nintendo Switch

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team

The Handheld/Console hybrid is here... maybe the battery life will stink, but I'm too hype to care at the moment. We don't see many games... especially new games and while I find that disheartening, there are some interesting details in the trailer. Mario Kart shows a second item... Double Dash 2 possibly?

I'm thinking the Mario game shown at the end was a 3D Mario Maker or Sunshine 2 possibly? Zelda is also shown as well as Skyrim... which brings us to third party support. Switch looks to have it with a big list the two that stuck out to me were KT and Square Enix. Perhaps we will see a DOA game on the Switch... that's my hope.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Watching the trailer I was like:

nJ3LqdW.gif

Again a console(?) of my actually favorite game developer that I won't buy.
I wished Nintendo would stop trying to be innovative and gimmicky. I want a "normal" console with up to date graphics that I can play Zelda and Smash Bros etc. on. Nothing more. They can keep their wiggle motes, 3D, console/handheld hybrids. :/

Additionally the announcement crashed Neogaf. Thanks for ruining my evening, Switch! D:

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
im hoping this means their mobile only games series will finally be getting console treatments. this may be the only way to get Fire Emblem and Pokemon back on consoles with decent graphics for example. Also considering they're able to run the remastered Skyrim its probably a lot more powerful than people think.

it doesn't need to be as good as the Pro or Scorpio just strong enough that its included in the line up and doesn't have to have specially made lower quality games made for it. also its going to out of the gate like a rocket as not only was that commercial clear and easily understandable something WiiU had HORRIBLE problems with, it has all its killer apps already. nobody bought a WiiU but everyone wanted its games Smash, Platoon, Bayonetta, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Xenoblade, and now Zelda and new Mario.

Sotherius

I'm just waiting to see the games that will have, it was and it will always be the only thing important to me in a console, what games does it have.

Koei Tecmo is on the supporting list, just wait to see DOA 6 and NG 4 come out for it. hahah.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
I did learn on Unreal Engine's Facebook that Nintendo Switch will support Unreal Engine 4.

Number 13

Ew hate the design. Also feel like Nintendo should have focused on either console gaming or handheld gaming because if they try to do both at once likely it will be ass compared to dedicated hardware.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Watching the trailer I was like:

nJ3LqdW.gif

Again a console(?) of my actually favorite game developer that I won't buy.
I wished Nintendo would stop trying to be innovative and gimmicky. I want a "normal" console with up to date graphics that I can play Zelda and Smash Bros etc. on. Nothing more. They can keep their wiggle motes, 3D, console/handheld hybrids. :/

Additionally the announcement crashed Neogaf. Thanks for ruining my evening, Switch! D:

Gota say I feel the opposite. I skipped on the Xbone because it was a weaker PS4. I have a PS4, but its a weaker PC. If there is ever a choice, I'm usually buying the PC version of anything.

If the switch was trying to do the same thing as the PS4, I imagine it would cost similarly to the PS4 and then I would be less likely to buy it. I don't need two consoles doing the same thing. But Nintendo consoles are generally cheaper and this leads to me buying them simply for the ability to play their first party titles and enjoy whatever weird gimmicks are available for that device. It's not a bad proposition in that capacity.

I'm very much happy with the status quo of buying one console for power, and one console cheaper for fun and weird stuff that nobody else is doing. For people who only want one piece of gaming hardware, maybe that's not such a great proposition... though I could certainly never understand madness such as that.

Hayabusiness

I second that. Why would one expect me to be unexcited? o . O

Because it doesn't seem to be as powerful as Neo/Scorpio and the main reason why you play a game are graphics and art direction.

Anyway, my reaction is positive. NOT super hyped, because I don't really get excited about hardware.
I'm glad Nintendo did a good first impression... Now show me your sexy first party games like that Spla2n and that teased 3D Mario!

If they fail on the games side, they will have me disappointed. It is a nice start even if it is so few footage, but damn, I would like to see a new Metroid, a third DKC from Retro, A NEW F-ZERO (even if it's impossible), a new Mario Kart as good as 8 (that'd better not be a new version of 8!), a console Fire Emblem with realistic graphics like the dark intro to Fates (and a tragic story like 4), a new JRPG from Monolith... Et cetera!

Last edited:

Hayabusiness

@Hayabusiness here snatching and exposing everyone, watch out!:eek:

Uhh... I tried to give a reason as of why Awesmic thought Tyaren wouldn't like the NX?
I mean he loves Nintendo and all but he also loves powerful consoles and high end graphics. His view is not uncommon either, a lot of Nintendo fans are frustrated because of their weak hardware and high reliance on gimmicks.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Because it doesn't seem to be as powerful as Neo/Scorpio and the main reason why you play a game are graphics and art direction.

Nah, that's not entirely true... :/
Nintendo games also already have some of the best art direction in the industry. They don't even need an as powerful console as the PS4 to do amazing visuals. Just look at the new Zelda. Just imagine what they could do if they had current tech. It seems as if the Switch (I just wanted to say NX XD) is still not there and below the Xbone. But that is actually not the deal breaker. It also wasn't for the Wii and the WiiU.
It's the gimmicky, short-sighted nature of recent Nintendo consoles and that I have to use the console in a way that it isn't actually intended to be used that is a deal breaker. I SO hated the wiggle controls of the Wii. D: I had to buy the Classic Controller separately and I had to avoid games completely that use the actual Wiimote. And the Wii already lacked third party game support as did the WiiU even more so. There was not much for me to play...

Hearing now that the Switch won't be backwards compatible and that the tablet only lasts for 3 gameplay hours (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1297753) is the nail in the coffin for me. Isn't the portability supposed to be the big thing for this thing? And I can't even finally play games like the latest Smas Bros or Xenoblade X on this thing?

Last edited:

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
Not being backwards compatible means it won't play the physical media we still don't know what's going to be ported though. I'd be amazed if Smash doesn't make in on there in some capacity. It can use its old WiiU/3DS library to establish itself since nobody played them before then trickle some exclusives like before.

The battery is freaking everyone out, but it's to be expected. The reall question is gong to be if you can swap the battery out and if there will be a portable charger then even if it's 3 hours it won't matter.

Personayi cant stand gaming in public so that things never leaving my room.

Hayabusiness

To be honest that's how much a lot of portable consoles last, battery wise...
Still, they'd better add two or more hours to it. I'm tired of portable consoles and devices lasting like shit.

I'm not upset for the lack of backwards compatibility. The console lacks a place to put in cds. The most I can see is Wii U games becoming downloadable, or getting upgraded and re-released (the bane of us Wii U owners lol). They're already doing it with the 3DS, so...

I fully expect a Smash Bros for NX, too. With a new ballot that ends in Sakurai saying "Ridley got first, but he does not fit my vision, please understand and enjoy Azura from Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations(c)(tm)!".

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD