Nintendo Switch

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I'll probably get one eventually but right now...the price isn't worth it, plus no good games I want are out yet and T7 isn't gonna be on Switch after all. XD

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Here in Europe the console costs 330€, which is 350$. That's a way too high price for this very low spec console. For that price you get a PS4 and Uncharted 4 or another great game. For the Switch and the pro controller you already get a PS4 Pro.

Apart from the poor specs the launch line up is pretty terrible too and I don't really trust third parties will now flock to the system. I smell a late Wii and WiiU situation all over again.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Very underwhelmed. 300$ was higher than I expected. But the thing wont even have any launch titles aside from Zelda basically, which is also coming out on wiiu soo.

Also 32 gb internal storage is madness. How in the world are you going to download games on this thing? Doom itself is like 50gb.

Oh and it doesn't even come with a proper controller, if you want one you have to spend 70$ for one separately, screw that.

I'm basically just waiting till they announce a new Metroid, until then, I don't care.
You're forgetting the Switch is nowhere near as powerful as our current consoles. It's not going to have games shipping on BD. They're on carts, albeit higher capacity ones. I'd wager most games will be sized near to what we saw last gen and topping out around 20GB or so max. They also seem to expect you to buy a MicroSD card (I have tons of extras so I'm not worried) to take care of extra storage needs. Unless you intend to go full digital, you'll have plenty of space. I'll be buying the carts myself and just using the Switch to store my saves and DLC.

SilverForte

I don't think its a good idea for the customer to be expected to buy additional storage. I know the games will be on cartridge but with only 32 gb, even if the games are smaller in space, youll only be able to download a few.

I just don't see anyone buying this thing at launch aside from diehard nintendo fans. And if the rumors are true there will only be a limited supply of these things as well.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
If you buy Zelda Breath of the Wild digitally (13.4GB) you already have occupied over 40% of the 32GB storage. :/

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Bowser's a pimp!:cool:
IMG_20170113_141432.jpg

IMG_20170113_141440.jpg

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I don't think its a good idea for the customer to be expected to buy additional storage. I know the games will be on cartridge but with only 32 gb, even if the games are smaller in space, youll only be able to download a few.

I just don't see anyone buying this thing at launch aside from diehard nintendo fans. And if the rumors are true there will only be a limited supply of these things as well.
The Switch is occupying a space in the current tech climate and from that perspective it is completely normal for them to assume people will want to expand storage and to put the burden on the consumer. Xbox One and PS4 both do this in different ways and one of the devices that the Switch is sort of edging in on, the smartphone, also does this depending on manufacturer (some just don't support any sort of expansion at all). They aren't using proprietary expansion methods so it's largely a Good Guy Nintendo thing.

I'm nowhere near a hardcore fan but I do generally get new hardware at launch if I think it has something worth playing. For me that is Zelda (it'll run better on Switch than Wii U) and Bomberman. Later I'll get Mario and I'm sure we'll get that rumored Pokemon Stars at some point. I'll grab Mario Kart to play with my other half, as well. Hardware is an investment.

SilverForte

I can just wait for games that I care about to come out and save money in the long run. To me, Zelda isnt good enough, I need something like Metroid.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I'm a pretty hardcore Nintendo fan and I'm thinking I will even pass launch this time. I applaud @CyberEvil for jumping into it with this much faith, but it REALLY is an investment and I'm not sure I could afford everything I would want to be remotely happy at launch.

The ac adapter is $30? Does the Switch even come with one? uhhh ok. The controllers range from $40-70... the game and another paid subscription fee which is waived for the rest of the year I guess. AND 2 1/2 - 6hr battery life is just really unfortunate for what they are trying to do.

What I really wanted was to explore the UI and we didn't get to see that.

Argentus

I can just wait for games that I care about to come out and save money in the long run. To me, Zelda isnt good enough, I need something like Metroid.

I'm just planning on buying a Wii U when Breath of Wild drops. Its Twilight Princess all over again. why buy the new system when the same game is on the older cheaper one? Hell at least then I can get Hyrule Warriors as well.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
For me that is Zelda (it'll run better on Switch than Wii U)

I am very sure in the end both versions will run at a solid 30fps. The only real improvement on the Switch will be the resolution. It's going to be 900p on Switch and 720p on WiiU, just as on the Switch tablet.

Its Twilight Princess all over again. why buy the new system when the same game is on the older cheaper one?

And the Gamecube version was actually the superior one. It was the unmirrored original (which they also used as the base of the HD remaster) and most importantly it had normal controlling instead of unprecisely waggling the Wiimote.

Last edited:

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I'm just planning on buying a Wii U when Breath of Wild drops. Its Twilight Princess all over again. why buy the new system when the same game is on the older cheaper one? Hell at least then I can get Hyrule Warriors as well.

If you plan on getting a Wii U make it quick -- I heard Nintendo plans to recall them so you might not see the discounts you would expect. They will leave the shelves quickly regardless because it's shaping to be a rare system. Years down the road -- people are really going to want those game pads.

I also passed on the Wii at launch and just ended up getting Zelda on the Cube. It was a fantastic game on the Gamecube and I agree that it will likely be just fine on that system.

And Mario Odyssey I can almost definitely assure you will not come out for Holiday.

Sotherius

Still going for my basic flowchart of a new console:
- Does it have good exclusive games?

Yes: Try to get it eventually
No: Never getting it (looking at you xbone).

Jadeinchains

Smh at that "udder milking" ( sure Jan "look at your hands" ) game aside I'm actually super excited for the new Zelda and Mario game.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD