Nintendo Switch

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I don't think its a good idea for the customer to be expected to buy additional storage. I know the games will be on cartridge but with only 32 gb, even if the games are smaller in space, youll only be able to download a few.

I just don't see anyone buying this thing at launch aside from diehard nintendo fans. And if the rumors are true there will only be a limited supply of these things as well.

I cannot think of a single console or PC generation where the customer was not expected to buy additional storage.

Maybe the original Xbox, before big DLC really became a thing. And even then, people modded their hard drives lol

SilverForte

the 500 gb hard drive was enough for me on ps4. same with the 250 gb on 360. I guess it depends on how many games people want to buy/download.

MeadowSpirit

I cannot think of a single console or PC generation where the customer was not expected to buy additional storage.

Maybe the original Xbox, before big DLC really became a thing. And even then, people modded their hard drives lol
What are you talking about? Most of my friends have never had to buy storage for their PS4's. They stick to the 500GB or 1TB hard drive and uninstall when they need room. I upgraded, but I'm the exception. Also, micro SD is slow (look out load times!) and has a relatively high failure rate (goodbye saved data!).

I'm kind of astonished that some people were excited by that Switch event. I thought it was embarrassingly bad and that the system has WiiU 2 written all over it.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
What are you talking about? Most of my friends have never had to buy storage for their PS4's. They stick to the 500GB or 1TB hard drive and uninstall when they need room. I upgraded, but I'm the exception. Also, micro SD is slow (look out load times!) and has a relatively high failure rate (goodbye saved data!).

I'm kind of astonished that some people were excited by that Switch event. I thought it was embarrassingly bad and that the system has WiiU 2 written all over it.

rm8Q68a.gif

Like you were going to give it a chance in the first place!

MeadowSpirit

rm8Q68a.gif

Like you were going to give it a chance in the first place!
I'd say I was apathetic about the whole thing. I also didn't think a presentation could be worse than the PS4 Pro reveal; I was wrong.

And if you want to talk bias, ever hear of the proverbial pot and kettle?

David Gregg

Look at that lineup already. Seriously a new Bomberman game?! Thought Konami was basically sticking with pachislots at this point it's amazing Nintendo revived this IP. Then there's Fast RMX, Splatoon 2, a new Mario game that actually looks good, Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

And there's other games too like SMT, FE Warriors, likely a Pokémon SuMo port, and probably more that are under development as we speak. And to top it all off this is a portable system.

I think in 6 months - 1 year after release this system is definitely going to be worth it.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!

You're not as much of an exception as you think you are.

PS1/N64 Era, people bought lots of memory cards.

PS2/DC/GC era, much the same. Xbox was the odd one out as mentioned.

PS3/Xbox 360, people upgraded if they wanted to go digital. Sometimes they had no choice as launch models had very small storage.

PS4/Xbone era, hard drives fill up quickly despite being quite generous compared to previous gens. This is due to games overall size increasing. Yes, you can juggle things by constantly uninstalling but it is not ideal and games will only get bigger as the generation progresses.

So, looking back on history it can be reasonably expected that storage upgrades will be necessary for enthusiasts.

DontForkWitMe

This thing has failure written all over it. Nintendo consoles have always been the secondary console since wii that will have strong 1st parties while have virtually no 3rd party but make up for it being weak as shit by offering far cheaper price than the competition. Now Nintendo thinks they can get away with the same situation of offering a weak console that won't get anywhere near the 3rd party support as its competition and will continue relying on the same tired franchises they have for 30 years by actually pricing HIGHER than the competition?

giphy.gif

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
This thing has failure written all over it. Nintendo consoles have always been the secondary console since wii that will have strong 1st parties while have virtually no 3rd party but make up for it being weak as shit by offering far cheaper price than the competition. Now Nintendo thinks they can get away with the same situation of offering a weak console that won't get anywhere near the 3rd party support as its competition and will continue relying on the same tired franchises they have for 30 years by actually pricing HIGHER than the competition?

giphy.gif

Is third party really a big deal to miss out on when you have the PS4, XBOX ONE and PC actively getting the same thing? Based off what I can tell Nintendo expects you to choose a third party system and their console. Typically at least Nintendo completely stands out from everything else. They are trying third party now, but I don't expect it to go far much like Wii U -- and I'm okay with that. I've never needed good third party support from a Nintendo platform to get what I am looking for. And quite honestly third party console games are becoming less and less attractive because of PC anyway.

The premium factor is really what's killing it for me. $70 for a Pro Controller, 90 for two extra joycons, 90 for an extra dock, games, subscription service (which is actually looking to be even worse than the PS4s) and to top it off the quality of the system is not particularly good. It looks like an off-brand tablet. The dock looks cheap.

Argentus

If you plan on getting a Wii U make it quick -- I heard Nintendo plans to recall them so you might not see the discounts you would expect. They will leave the shelves quickly regardless because it's shaping to be a rare system. Years down the road -- people are really going to want those game pads.

I also passed on the Wii at launch and just ended up getting Zelda on the Cube. It was a fantastic game on the Gamecube and I agree that it will likely be just fine on that system.

And Mario Odyssey I can almost definitely assure you will not come out for Holiday.

wow really? They SERIOUSLY are trying to gouge to push the Switch, huh? They don't have any faith in it at ALL, it seems lol. They already know most people will be like me and try to pass on it to get Wii U for cheap XD

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
wow really? They SERIOUSLY are trying to gouge to push the Switch, huh? They don't have any faith in it at ALL, it seems lol. They already know most people will be like me and try to pass on it to get Wii U for cheap XD
The Wii U isn't much cheaper and they are going to recall it. Just wait a bit and grab a Switch on sale or in a bundle. Zelda is going to be excellent and it'll stay excellent for a long time. Buying old hardware just to save a buck is a waste anyway.

MeadowSpirit

Is third party really a big deal to miss out on when you have the PS4, XBOX ONE and PC actively getting the same thing? Based off what I can tell Nintendo expects you to choose a third party system and their console. Typically at least Nintendo completely stands out from everything else. They are trying third party now, but I don't expect it to go far much like Wii U -- and I'm okay with that. I've never needed good third party support from a Nintendo platform to get what I am looking for. And quite honestly third party console games are becoming less and less attractive because of PC anyway.

The premium factor is really what's killing it for me. $70 for a Pro Controller, 90 for two extra joycons, 90 for an extra dock, games, subscription service (which is actually looking to be even worse than the PS4s) and to top it off the quality of the system is not particularly good. It looks like an off-brand tablet. The dock looks cheap.
Are you really trying to argue that Nintendo doesn't need 3rd party support after the Wii U disaster? The Wii U went the route that you're suggesting - great 1st party games but almost no 3rd party support - and it clearly didn't work. What's different this time around?

You can trash the PSN all you want. You don't own a PS4 and have no credibility when it comes to discussing the service. I think it's pretty good and so I don't begrudge paying the annual fee. The Switch's online service, like you said, sounds terrible. You get the free NES and SNES games for only a month and then they're gone!? In-game chat is done through an iPhone app, not through the console itself!? Switch has no ethernet port? Um, why? The whole console sounds half-baked and not ready for launch. Zelda looks good but everything else looks underwhelming, and 3rd party support is clearly not there. Nintendo should have delayed the thing until November.

Argentus

The Wii U isn't much cheaper and they are going to recall it. Just wait a bit and grab a Switch on sale or in a bundle. Zelda is going to be excellent and it'll stay excellent for a long time. Buying old hardware just to save a buck is a waste anyway.

but does the switch play wii u games? I'm really only interested in hyrule warriors and breath of the wild.

That whole "recall it" thing is just pathetic, by the way. They are super desperate to try to force people to buy the switch lol.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
but does the switch play wii u games? I'm really only interested in hyrule warriors and breath of the wild.

That whole "recall it" thing is just pathetic, by the way. They are super desperate to try to force people to buy the switch lol.

Why does it always have to be super far-reaching hyperbole with you? Just buy a Wii U and get it over with. You clearly made up your mind already. No need to be extra dramatic about everything.

Do you understand what I'm saying? A guy with Terry Crews as his avatar is telling you to stop being dramatic. Let that sink in.

Last edited:

Argentus

Why does it always have to be super far-reaching hyperbole with you? Just buy a Wii U and get it over with. You clearly made up your mind already. No need to be extra dramatic about everything.

Do you understand what I'm saying? A guy with Terry Crews as his avatar is telling you to stop being dramatic. Let that sink in.

yes yes yes "Hyperbole". As if I've seen any legitimate reason for the "recall".

and I'm asking if the switch is backwards compatible. if it is, it'll be worth getting down the line in the same way I abandoned my gamecube because the wii plays gamecube games as well.

Right now the switch lineup is pretty lackluster. Mostly ports with a couple first party exclusives, only a few of which are worth anything to me.

and the specs certainly don't justify the cost. This thing feels like it should only be 150-200 bucks, overall.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD