Nioh General Discussion

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
the similarities are starting to become embarrassing at this point. there's one thing between copying a genre its another copying another game down to the animations

also ive yet to see one enemy able to do anything besides die. this would look so much better with NG style AI instead we have these dumb hollows.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I'm actually very excited about the game. It doesn't look like a souls game to me at all. Just very deliberate, brutal combat. Team NINJA did extreme difficulty first, too. The animations are clearly based directly on period swordplay.

Kasumi

Great video, really excited for this game and I hope it turns well, is time for TN to step out of Itagaki's creations.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
I'm actually very excited about the game. It doesn't look like a souls game to me at all. Just very deliberate, brutal combat. Team NINJA did extreme difficulty first, too. The animations are clearly based directly on period swordplay.

Really? You mean to tell my you don't notice the crappy Hollow AI?

The main character, his animations, and the new mechanics look great and intersting, but the rest of it is just Dark Souls so far. There is so far nothing that can match up to the player in terms of well anything really. he's pretty much the only thing original about the game.

I feel like this would look so much better if he were fighting live enemies, cause I'm pretty sure these are zombies

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Really? You mean to tell my you don't notice the crappy Hollow AI?

The main character, his animations, and the new mechanics look great and intersting, but the rest of it is just Dark Souls so far. There is so far nothing that can match up to the player in terms of well anything really. he's pretty much the only thing original about the game.

I feel like this would look so much better if he were fighting live enemies, cause I'm pretty sure these are zombies
That's just for demo purposes. Go back and watch early Ninja Gaiden trailers. No damage sponge boss fights, just annihilating peons. Looks better for a trailer. There are always trash mobs and it just looks flashier to crush them. They aren't trying to sell a Souls game here. You just have that idea stuck in your head.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
That's just for demo purposes. Go back and watch early Ninja Gaiden trailers. No damage sponge boss fights, just annihilating peons. Looks better for a trailer. There are always trash mobs and it just looks flashier to crush them. They aren't trying to sell a Souls game here. You just have that idea stuck in your head.

me and about 100 other people

Brute

Standard Donor
Article Source (slathered with common sense).

In Ni-Oh, you wander about various unpleasant locations fighting enemies who can end your life in a matter of three or four hits. Meanwhile, your own weapons require upwards of half a dozen strokes to dispatch them.
When you approach a location where a nasty knot of foes hang out, you’ll see a number of sword markers, presumably indicating the death of another player or NPC. I know it’s not your own death, because I saw the player character die and return to the same spot to retrieve – whatever.
Every action – running, jumping, dodging, attacking – required and consumed stamina, indicated by a green gauge by the health bar.
You need to check in at specific locations – shrines – in order to level up, which requires resources. It’s Dark Souls. It’s Dark Souls.

There are some differences, of course. The weapons shown in the demo were all two-handed,
The boss fight we were shown looked different, too – and in a good way.
[...]in Dark Souls or Bloodborne you’d summon a ghost to observe a death, Ni-Oh offers you a couple of choices from a menu.

But basically, it’s Dark Souls, but made by Team Ninja and slathered with Japanese influences as opposed to medieval European ones – with perhaps a touch of Witcher 3.
Ni-Oh is Dark Souls.
How you feel about this depends on whether you believe everyone should stop making shooters because id Software came up with the idea, and how long the eternity between Souls releases stretches from your unique perspective on time.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I'll give it stamina because I didn't know that was a part of the system. Shrines to level up was done in Ninja Gaiden before a Souls game ever did it though. Same with most of the combat observations. The only other thing that was likely inspired by Souls games would be the sword markers and that's a cool thing to bring over. Nothing wrong with taking some inspiration from a game that popularized difficult action again after NG and DMC3 had their heyday.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
I'll give it stamina because I didn't know that was a part of the system. Shrines to level up was done in Ninja Gaiden before a Souls game ever did it though. Same with most of the combat observations. The only other thing that was likely inspired by Souls games would be the sword markers and that's a cool thing to bring over. Nothing wrong with taking some inspiration from a game that popularized difficult action again after NG and DMC3 had their heyday.

the overall atmosphere is Souls, the enemies are Souls enemies, we have a completely pointless summoning system where the NPC shows up while glowing yellow and then gestures, the plunging attacks, the enemies breaking objects so they can ambush you.

im fine with a little inspiration but when it dictates your direction then i have a problem. i dont want TN chasing Souls success id rather they make their own thing which they easily could. i see flashes of what could be a great hack n slash but because they put him in a souls game its going to waste.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I'm reserving judgment until I play. I am very impressed by what I've seen. Opinions and all that.

Brute

Standard Donor
The only other thing that was likely inspired by Souls games would be the sword markers.
I hope that statement was merely a hasty oversight.

To be clear, I'm not saying the game looks bad or that being inspired by certain elements of other popular franchises in the genre is necessarily a bad thing. But to say that it was hardly inspired by Dark Souls or that it doesn't derive from it in more of its elements than it does is absurd.

Brute

Standard Donor
Why is everyone getting so upset over the fact that its a dark souls clone? Who cares? As long as its good lol.
I'm not upset myself, but for those who are, I would assume it has something to do with the fact that the last time TN tried to emulate a popular games it didn't end in glory. Beyond that, if they're looking to compete for attention with the Souls audience/fanbase, they'll have a difficult time winning that battle at large.

NinjaRayMan

One of the things I think hurt the NG series was speeding up the gameplay so much. I prefer having a slower,deliberate combat system where every strike matters ala NG Black rather than the combo heavy DMC style that NG2 & 3 moved towards.
I've never played a souls game because I 'm not a fan of the Knights and medieval genre but Ni-Oh looks right up my alley. Looks like a hybrid of NG and Souls gameplay.
I 'm gonna have to give Bloodborne a try. It's always looked interesting to me, there just seems to be a harsh learning curve if you've never played the souls series before.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
One of the things I think hurt the NG series was speeding up the gameplay so much. I prefer having a slower,deliberate combat system where every strike matters ala NG Black rather than the combo heavy DMC style that NG2 & 3 moved towards.
I've never played a souls game because I 'm not a fan of the Knights and medieval genre but Ni-Oh looks right up my alley. Looks like a hybrid of NG and Souls gameplay.
I 'm gonna have to give Bloodborne a try. It's always looked interesting to me, there just seems to be a harsh learning curve if you've never played the souls series before.

i never really found either one to be particularly slow or DMCish. wasted movements in NG2 can get you killed so you are rarely afforded a moment where you can "style" and every cut and every strike needs to be deliberate to maximize the invincibility to avoid a stray rocket,bullet,fireball etc... which can come off screen at anytime. with NG1 though you only really abused IFs when fighting black spider ninjas. yes it looks cool but its a far cry from the stuff Dante does which honestly bores me to look at.

anyhow play Bloodborne, any NG player will be able to dance circles around the enemies since we are used to dodging everything already.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD