Nioh General Discussion

Kronin

I'm not upset myself, but for those who are, I would assume it has something to do with the fact that the last time TN tried to emulate a popular games it didn't end in glory. Beyond that, if they're looking to compete for attention with the Souls audience/fanbase, they'll have a difficult time winning that battle at large.

I know that this will end to be a very ignorant question, but I don't think to be sure of what was the game of inspiration for NG3 that you were talking about: maybe the last entries of DMC as hinted from NinjaRayMan?

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
I know that this will end to be a very ignorant question, but I don't think to be sure of what was the game of inspiration for NG3 that you were talking about, maybe the last entries of DMC as hinted from NinjaRayMan?

im honestly not sure. people have compared it to GoW in difficulty but it really plays nothing like anything else. cleaned up it basically becomes NG2

Kronin

im honestly not sure. people have compared it to GoW in difficulty but it really plays nothing like anything else. cleaned up it basically becomes NG2

I thought the same, to me NG3 it's always seemed a NG2 with little innovations and many reductions.

Last edited:

Kensei25

The game basically looks like a blend of Dark Souls, Ninja Gaiden and Onimusha. It looks awesome. So, sure maybe not the most original but I see nothing wrong with that. There is nothing new with some awesome games that are clearly inspired by great games that came before it. I am sure Team Ninja is going to have some great unique gameplay elements and the art direction alone is eye-popping.

The only thing that would have me more excited than this is a true next gen Ninja Gaiden or Tenchu (do it FROM!).

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Some new screenshots:

0B_s-zw2293cgN2VnejBSbGE4NG8

0B_s-zw2293cgc3ZJSEpBdC1md00

0B_s-zw2293cgM3JPN25uQTNVeTg

0B_s-zw2293cgNG1qU0lTR2owbHM

0B_s-zw2293cgYXBDWVdZNlVpRkk

It looks good...but not as good as a game like this could look like on the PS4.

just_me

Standard Donor
Eh… copying Souls gameplay is one of the better choices, they could have drawn inspiration from atrocities like Arkham Knight, or The Witcher 3 when it comes to combat. So all good in my book.

Nameless Sama

I always wanted a samurai game with good gameplay. It looks very good so far. Besides I like the combat feature from Dark Souls , it gives the game realistic feeling.

Hope to see more in the feature

:hayabusa:

Brute

Standard Donor
I know that this will end to be a very ignorant question, but I don't think to be sure of what was the game of inspiration for NG3 that you were talking about: maybe the last entries of DMC as hinted from NinjaRayMan?
-The gritty/grainy gray aesthetic I don't believe was pulled directly from DmC, but rather following in a trend whereby games lately in general have been opting for less colorful/vibrant/imaginative environments and have instead been opting for everyday locales (ruined cities with gray/brown color palettes and the like).
-The stealth/falcon glide segments were from Batman.
-The military map loading screens were from Call of Duty.
-The boss battles (no health bar, QTEs and lots of "he's stunned to hit him now for mini-cinematic attack") were from God of War.
-Awkward "dark anti-hero made less dark by protecting a little girl" plot trope from just about every Western game released at the time (yes, I'm aware they were big on posturing that they were expressing a "Japanese dark hero").

Again, it's not like any of these elements can't serve as inspiration (or even in certain cases: emulation) for other developers. No one holds sole ownership over them. But NG3 felt to most people like it had no soul because rather than focus on what made NG unique and excellent in its genre to begin with, they started trying to copy what everyone else was doing, and the result was pretty messy and didn't feel like it incorporated any of those elements better than the respective titles had already done (and didn't compensate for it by honing NG's own idiosyncrasies).

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
I'm looking forward to it regardless of what it is taking inspirations from (Lords of the Fallen falls under the same category and I enjoyed it for what it is). From initial looks it's a faster paced Dark Souls, yes, but there the big things that will seperate the games will be the mechanics and combat.

Might as well make the comparison from the Dark/Demon Souls viewpoint. Lords of the Fallen was a much slower game in almost all aspects of the game. Ni-Oh looks much faster than Dark Souls (possibly faster than DS3 just going by the beta) as influenced by TN's own games (such as post Itagaki NG). Ni-Oh has some kind of insta-kill mechanic that the others don't have (the closest DS comes with this is ripostes and back stabs). There are strong draws from the DS system, yes, but there is still uniqueness that you kind of can't look at going full DS (too many reviewers and modern gamers have this issue. Duke Nukem Forever is a good example. It's a bad modern game compared to CoD or other FPS games but is a great game when you play it with the mindset that the damn series never got out of the 90s).
So far three weapon styles for Ni-Oh that we know of, katana, naginata, and bow. DS and LoF had you kind of make your own way to play (LoS is the "kinda," DS definitely was make your own playstyle). Each game has it's own unique settings. DS had European medieval influences, LoS is more or less some kind of Warhammer fantasy influence, Ni-Oh is taking inspiration from Japanese myth and legends. I enjoyed each title I've played (excluding Ni-Oh) and there are certain aspects of DS games that I have had irks with that Ni-Oh looks like they are remedying their own way.

Having open minds about games that have inspirations can be a good thing.

Argentus

I never got the appeal of Dark Souls or demon souls or whatever it was. I got it on Xbox and played for a couple hours. Didn't really leave any impression on me. Everyone said it was so hard but its more that most games are just brain dead easy and dark souls is more like old school games where you die in one or two hits.

So just going by screenshots and comparing this to that game...what's the appeal?

Just dark souls in a Japanese setting instead of a European one?

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
The Souls games require you to fully commit to your attacks as recovery is a big deal there. Not so much in NG where our go to attacks, by necessity, give a lot of i-frames. The game feels slower before you begin to level up and acquire good weapons and then becomes fast, strategic, and brutal later on. Bloodborne gives you that feeling much earlier. The game needs to evolve and lacks that instant gratification in our favorite action game. To me NG is the top of the genre. The Souls games are different and also worthy of attention though.

Xhominid The Demon Within

The Souls games require you to fully commit to your attacks as recovery is a big deal there. Not so much in NG where our go to attacks, by necessity, give a lot of i-frames. The game feels slower before you begin to level up and acquire good weapons and then becomes fast, strategic, and brutal later on. Bloodborne gives you that feeling much earlier. The game needs to evolve and lacks that instant gratification in our favorite action game. To me NG is the top of the genre. The Souls games are different and also worthy of attention though.

Ninja Gaiden games gave us i frames in our normal attacks(not counting NG3RE with the Scythe)? That's news to me.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD