Nioh General Discussion

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
So the sad thing about NiOh's PvP is that when the enemy player quits midgame you'll get less Glory due to not achieving a full match result. They might need to fix that and rewards output for when they do quit.

just_me

Standard Donor
Played through the DLC on Way of the Strong/NG+ and thought it was pretty good.
Difficulty is adequate (if you don't just Windstorm/Bladespin through the DLC) and Bosses were well done. Second one was a bit bland maybe, more like the Hanzo fights instead of a proper Boss battle.
I actually like the Odachi, found a ~170 something Divine in the first Way of the Demon mission I played and used that for the whole DLC and since I have almost no points in Strength the Dmg was in line with other weapons I use. Looks like they wanted to avoid more OP skills, Dmg didn't seem too high (could use a Quickdraw for the Iai move…). Though the mechanic to stance switch mid-combo is pretty neat imo.

The third main mission is a bit short to say the least, but the other 2 were larger than average and the Region had 7 side missions, so I think it was fine. They kinda blew it with the enemies though… the new Yokai and variations were fine, but no standard Bandit/Solider, nor Rogues/Samurai with an Odachi? (There are Odachi AI revs at least…)

The relevant NPCs have transformations as well (except Maria…), you have to get all entries in the Character Directory to unlock the skin and the mission related entries only unlock, if you clear the mission in Normal Mode (was a bit annoying, but I missed some Kodama anyway)
Date Masamune was 30k, can't remember the others…
Those unlock conditions apply to all skins afaik, so if you lack any of the Female transforms (e.g. Okatsu), look at your char directory to figure out what's missing.

Way of the Demon is a bit of letdown though. Is the same as Way of the Strong with higher Enemy levels from what I've played. Seems I wasn't completely off with my Devil Trigger guess either, some enemies have perma buffs and so do the Bosses (no clue what most of those buffs do though…)
I'm also not sure why they raised the gear cap that much… it went from 150/160(+10) to 200(+20) or so, that should at least trivialize the first half of Way of the Demon again…

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I'll probably start Way of the Demon when I get back home. Lately I've been trying to accumulate +5 gear to soul match into others, so far the mission Marobashi has been giving me gear higher than +4 (unless there is a place that I'm not aware of for quicker runs and getting gear to dismantle for fragments, would like to know for sure).

Last edited:

just_me

Standard Donor
unless there is a place that I'm aware of for quicker

I did Hyakki Yagyo, drops the same range, has 4 bosses and they are less effort. After you killed Ogress you can just stand behind the spawn point and use Reaper/Water Sword to kill them.

Though as long as you have a +7-10 weapon you are probably better of just running Way of the Demon missions, even in the first missions +8 and higher is not uncommon.

I think they buffed all revenants in that mode though, player revs do way more dmg there and even with mid weight armor they can poise through everything.

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I did Hyakki Yagyo, drops the same range, has 4 bosses and they are less effort. After you killed Ogress you can just behind the spawn point and use Reaper/Water Sword to kill them.

Though as long as you have a +7-10 weapon you are probably better of just running Way of the Demon missions, even in the first missions +8 and higher is not uncommon.

I think they buffed all revenants in that mode though, player revs do way more dmg there and even with mid weight armor they can poise through everything.

Ah gotcha, will attempt whenever I get back. Thumbs up.

Xhominid The Demon Within

I gotta find some time to get back into this game...haven't even finished it and I believe I'm just past Yuki-Onna.

Anyone knows if the Odachi is good to use or it's a terrible weapon because I really want to rock a great katana while having the defensive Dual Katana stance rather than Katana/Dual Katana with the majority into DK.

And it seems Okatsu is the skin for me since Yuki-Onna isn't available...yet(the main woman I want to play as...well next to Okatsu and that female Omnyo Mage who sicced the first Nue on me...bitch)

Brute

Standard Donor
Anyone knows if the Odachi is good to use or it's a terrible weapon because I really want to rock a great katana while having the defensive Dual Katana stance rather than Katana/Dual Katana with the majority into DK.
I think so. I use it in conjunction with the new Pierce Guard ability and it's great for pressuring defensive opponents. Its heavy stance triangle can also be used much like the katana/dual katana for whiff punishment (heavy stance is useful for the longer dodge). Everything is weak compared to the dual katanas, which are still broken as hell. But the odachi is useful and very fun, IMO. Probably my third favorite weapon.

And it seems Okatsu is the skin for me since Yuki-Onna isn't available...yet(the main woman I want to play as...well next to Okatsu and that female Omnyo Mage who sicced the first Nue on me...bitch)
Fuku is playable.

Sotherius

Got my Okatsu skin finally, will use it for side-missions and NG+ playthroughs, i feel that i'm a bit underleveled for the dlc, but i think i can manage.

Xhominid The Demon Within

Fuku is playable.

That Omnoydo Mage? Fuck her...I mean she looks nice as hell but fuck her for tossing the Nue at me...

I think so. I use it in conjunction with the new Pierce Guard ability and it's great for pressuring defensive opponents. It's heavy stance triangle can also be used much like the katana/dual katana for whiff punishment (heavy stance is useful for the longer dodge). Everything is weak compared to the dual katanas, which are still broken as hell. But the odachi is useful and very fun, IMO. Probably my third favorite weapon.

Alright that sounds like that's a good decision to work with then.

just_me

Standard Donor
Anyone knows if the Odachi is good to use or it's a terrible weapon

It's certainly good enough to get through the content… used it for the whole DLC on Way of the Strong and in most missions on Way of the Demon, I only used the Kusarigama for some of the Dual Bossfights. It simply doesn't seem to have an uber skill like some of the other weapons, though Moonlit Snow can kill bosses in a single combo and Cuckoo's Tail can parry Yokai attacks (you are in guard state during it's parry frames), so there is some interesting stuff at least.

Also did someone use Sloth since the Update?… looks like the duration is down quite a bit, seems to be even worse on the new bosses, so that's a bummer for farming. On the other hand Tiger running now lasts a lot longer (since I last used a scroll at least), you can easily run through a whole mission on a single scroll now.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Really starting to despise these Hand Cannon Yokai.

Those guys even eat up the entire stamina bar if you block their Hand Cannon blasts. It becomes a grim situation if you are blocking somewhere and end up blocking their blast (not intentional) which leaves you in a vulnerable state against a horde of enemies.

I could be blocking someone in front of me and those hand cannon Yokai will spawn somewhere to the left outside of your camera view and shoot a blast eating up your guard when you aren't looking. Had that happen to me like twice and then died from the one I was facing in front of me.

Sotherius

Lady
Maria
Of the astral clocktower.
is kicking my butt really hard, i'm yet to beat her.

Am i the only that see the similarities between maria and lady maria from bloodborne? Wonder if it was some on purpose homage.

Brute

Standard Donor
Those guys even eat up the entire stamina bar if you block their Hand Cannon blasts. It becomes a grim situation if you are blocking somewhere and end up blocking their blast (not intentional) which leaves you in a vulnerable state against a horde of enemies.

I could be blocking someone in front of me and those hand cannon Yokai will spawn somewhere to the left outside of your camera view and shoot a blast eating up your guard when you aren't looking. Had that happen to me like twice and then died from the one I was facing in front of me.
They're a giant pain in the ass, and unlike the other new Yokai (which appear to be exclusive to the new stages), they sprinkled these asshats throughout the entire game on Demon difficulty. Bleurgh.

Lady
Maria
Of the astral clocktower.
is kicking my butt really hard, i'm yet to beat her.

Am i the only that see the similarities between maria and lady maria from bloodborne? Wonder if it was some on purpose homage.
To me, she feels like
the Regent of the Mask.

Sotherius

They're a giant pain in the ass, and unlike the other new Yokai (which appear to be exclusive to the new stages), they sprinkled these asshats throughout the entire game on Demon difficulty. Bleurgh.

To me, she feels like
the Regent of the Mask.

Moveset wise? Yeah, i can feel that as well, now that i beat her, a lot of her moves remind me of the regent, but design wise, it seems she is a homage to maria from bloodborne, TN said themselves they were inspired by souls games, and both Lady Maria from bloodborne and Maria in Nioh have a very similar design, the blonde/grey hair, pale skin, even the style of dressing is similar, but it could be just me.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
But damn, I'm already craving for more content. That battle against Maria left me in suspense and cliffhanger. It's like waiting for another episode for a show that is scheduled to be this upcoming week but got pushed back.

Brute

Standard Donor
Does anyone know what the "Destroyer of Demons" trophy requires?

Do I have to complete all story missions, all of the DLC region's missions, all normal missions, or all missions + side quests + twilight missions?

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Forgot to mention this a few days ago, but do these stack with another everlasting trait on another piece of gear? (would be too nuts if it was).

Nioh_20170507182353.png

Nioh_20170507182402.png

just_me

Standard Donor
What does the Everlasting Ki stat actually do? Prevents the “out of Ki cough” (with given probability), if you get hit, right? It's not like you can keep attacking, while out of Ki…as far as I know.

Does the stat appear on all pieces? I've only seen it on boots so far (edit: oh just got pants with the stat as well), so you might need an inheritable one (and that's not such a great stat for cross gear type inheritance imo)

Talking about inheritance… what's the opinion over here on the changes to Revenant “trading”?
Player Revenants in Way of the Demon will no longer drop gear with it's original stats, instead rolls will be randomized, so you can no longer share your gear with good (inheritable) rolls and you can't farm revenants for such gear either.

Not sure if it's actually gone though, since player revenant gear in Way of the Strong is definitely NOT randomized… so unless high level players can't drop their revs in Way of the Strong anymore, I have no clue what the problem actually is.

If you can no longer farm gear with rare rolls, it obviously makes properly rolled equipment (even) harder to obtain, though I still think that pulling the plug on this is fine (if they even did). While the original idea was neat, the somewhat naive implementation made it too easy to exploit… people basically used the system as a way to duplicate items, which was not the intended purpose.

And the real issue here is that re-rolling is such a pain, I'd rather have them address that issue… they should probably try to make the re-forging less opaque and confusing for Nioh 2 (or an Ultimate version), but I think introducing a few new mats for reforging that effectively limit the re-roll pool would do the trick for now. E.g. Spirit Iron Fragments have the full pool, Chunks only uncommon and above, Divine Fragments only rare and above, Anima stones only PvP rolls. Looks like restructuring the current system a bit might be good enough.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD