Nioh General Discussion

Sotherius

I play Nioh like an action game and the rest is just window dressing in my eyes.

I tried to go for that route, and i kinda follow it, but some side missions require absurd level or gear, so i felt cheated, sadly nioh is not a pure action game, even the dark souls upgrade system would benefit that playstyle of caring less about the rpg systems than nioh currently.

But still an awesome action game with a ton of not so cool rpg elements is still awesome to me.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I tried to go for that route, and i kinda follow it, but some side missions require absurd level or gear, so i felt cheated, sadly nioh is not a pure action game, even the dark souls upgrade system would benefit that playstyle of caring less about the rpg systems than nioh currently.

But still an awesome action game with a ton of not so cool rpg elements is still awesome to me.
FWIW I've completed all missions at this point without over-leveling or putting much time into gear at all. It can be done, it's just harder. Less of an issue against human enemies. The snake bastards that look like Las Plagas in the last DLC proved problematic but I never died against them.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Curious, will the DLC happen tonight? or do we have to wait till the store update first?

Wondering if the next DLC will be about Hideyoshi Toyotomi or something.

Brute

Standard Donor
So it looks like the latest patch made game balance even shittier. I spent hours farming an armor set that would let me tank a few hits from the end level bosses. But now they once again kill me in a single blow.

So that's just fucking fantastic. Not only is the WotD back to being a ridiculous shitfest, but I'm also going to have a brand new stupid difficulty to look forward to afterwords. Hooray.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
So it looks like the latest patch made game balance even shittier. I spent hours farming an armor set that would let me tank a few hits from the end level bosses. But now they once again kill me in a single blow.

So that's just fucking fantastic. Not only is the WotD back to being a ridiculous shitfest, but I'm also going to have a brand new stupid difficulty to look forward to afterwords. Hooray.

Which armor set is that by the way? any news on the English patch notes?

just_me

Standard Donor
English patch notes (from reddit)
Jtd6c62.jpg

P7UVRpW.jpg

D8JAjP8.jpg

(rest in imgur album)

They buffed almost all sets.
From playing one mission in Way of the Wise: looks like they raised all caps. The new rarity seems to have a fixed set bonus for all gear (Grace of Susano) and there are affixes with divine/ethereal rarity as well. Not sure how this works with items that already have a set bonus…
Ethereal items cannot be forged lol

Last edited:

just_me

Standard Donor
Well… I have all the trophies from the new DLC. Just went through it on Way of the Demon.

Mixed bag content wise imo… the free stuff everyone got with the patch is nice like the new Onmyo spells. Tonfa are fine I guess, though since they scale of the 3 stats I didn't raise at all I didn't use the much… just raised them to max Profiency and did the Dojo mission on WotD.
There are less missions this time around 2 main, 6 side, 1 Twilight, 1 Dojo mission. The 2 main missions and the Inari shrine side mission are fairly long, but the remaining side missions are pretty short imo. Bosses were OK, but as I said I'd rather have new Yokai bosses, there are too many Samurai battles already. Not sure about standard enemies either… bunch of new variations, but less actually new enemy types.

Didn't really start with Way of the Wise yet, except 1 mission to see what the Ethereal stuff is about, but doesn't look like there are any real surprises. Though you can get Divine Mariner clothes from the Prologue mission XD I also have to look at the new gear… some stuff looked interesting.

EDIT: finished the first region in WotW… this is fairly well done actually.
Enemies are reshuffled and old missions contain DLC enemies now, some Yokai have a new attacks (e.g. the large Skeletons can Axe spin now), there are at least 9 ethereal set bonuses for various build themes, though most people will stick to their old sets for quite some time (since Ethereal primarily drops from reds/bosses, I got an ethereal Yata mirror from a normal loot spot though)

Ethereal Set bonuses I've seen:
There are (at least) 9 sets
Susano - attack dmg
Amaterasu - Spirit/Ki stuff
Tsukoyomi - Onmyo
Futsunushi - PvP? (has Pierce Guard, 40% Iai Skill Dmg, Glory boost)
Shinatsuhiko - Wind
Oyamatsumi - Earth
Kagutsuchi - Fire
Owatatsumi - Water
pretty sure the other Elements exist as well
oh… and items that already have a set bonus, will keep that one and not gain any ethereal bonus

Last edited:

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
It might be my tv but do Revenant graves normally pulse purple when equipped primarily with purple equipment? Going to try to find one without some. It could just be me seeing things.

Edit: Me seeing things.

Last edited:

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Got the new DLC but didn't have time to really start it because I never did the fight with Maria previously. Not sure how I missed it. She is...not a well-designed boss. I hate super armor on enemies. She actually killed me more than any previous enemy or boss ever did and it didn't feel earned. Either way, I killed her now and I'm going to start the new DLC at some point in the near future. I'm like level 138 and the first mission on normal wants 180 lol. I clearly am not playing as intended.

NinjaRayMan

I'm level 142 myself. I haven't had the time or motivation to grind to increase my stats.
The RPG elements of this game can kiss my ass quite frankly, not my cup of tea.
But it's a great action game and I'm enjoying my ninja build.
It makes the bosses more of a slog and getting one shotted is a constant threat/annoyance but it reminds me of playing Ninja Gaiden Black again.

Brute

Standard Donor
I'm like level 138 and the first mission on normal wants 180 lol. I clearly am not playing as intended.
You probably are. I've never heard of anyone being the recommended level for missions beyond the first few regions. I beat all of the 500+ missions in WotD at under level 300. Equipment and cheese are what determine mission difficulty, not player level.

Brute

Standard Donor
So how the hell am I supposed to get Wooden Dual Swords for this offbeat trophy? I've killed the dojo guy over 10 times without a single drop.

Also, complaint in spoiler tag below.
Why do they keep making me repeat the Shigezane yokai fight? He's canonically cured, and yet they keep obsessively bringing him back for side missions. He's just not that fun of a fight to warrant so many repeated encounters. I also find Masamune a pain. Wasn't really excited to discover they wanted me to go two more rounds with him.

just_me

Standard Donor
The level 130-150 range is easily high enough to clear most of NG+ which has mission requirements up to 300, so level 138 is nowhere near underleveled for a 180 mission…

I'm not sure if it ever was a reasonable assumption that the Mission level is the required/recommended character level for end game content (since it's so blatantly obvious that character strength is primarily gear driven at that point), but it certainly isn't reasonable now. All WotD mission levels are above the level cap for this difficulty (which is still 400, you only get the Bump to 500 once you reach WotW) and the later Missions in WotW are above the theoretical level cap of 750 (where all stats max out and thus leveling further is no longer possible, since you can't buy attribute points anymore)

Pretty sure Mission level reflects the enemy level (and roughly the gear level till divines become available), seems easier to me to post-hoc fit a linear function that determines enemy stats to the desired difficulty and assumed character strength, than to model a non-linear one that does the same thing, but stays in line with the actually assumed character level.

So how the hell am I supposed to get Wooden Dual Swords for this offbeat trophy? I've killed the dojo guy over times times without a single drop.

I was lucky and still had the weapon in my storehouse… I think every first clear of a Dojo mission gives you a guaranteed Wooden weapon drop? So I guess you could get one from the WotW Dojo mission. Otherwise clearing Marobashi with high weapon drop rate might be a faster way to farm the item. But yeah… I thought that trophy is kinda stupid, Holy trinity as well, if you are unlucky.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
@just_me Ah how were you able to complete Isle of Demons on WoTW? I get blue screened game error everytime I try to enter the boss room boat. This is solo by the way.

just_me

Standard Donor
@just_me Ah how were you able to complete Isle of Demons on WoTW? I get blue screened game error everytime I try to enter the boss room boat. This is solo by the way.

I've seen someone else mention this, but I had no issues… didn't do anything special as far as I'm aware, so I'm not sure if there is something that either triggers, or avoids the issue. I'd assume there will be some sort of Hotfix soon, since you can't use Silibar ingots atm either.

I cleared a bunch of other Missions before Isle of Demons… doubt it has anything to do with the crashes, but that's all I can think of.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Just beat the first region and twilights. Am I the only one that despises Namahage? I swear, this thing is one of the most annoying creatures that I've faced (at least for now I guess). He turns out to be one of those enemies where it's hard to read and react because it has this really slow start up build speed on the blade and then the swing and animation accelerates to multiple attacks with huge delays. I'm always burning up at least one elixir fighting it. I think one of my main problems is that I'm too used to enemies that make immediate attacks as soon as their animation begins to change, but this dude charges up attacks multiple times so I end up dodging thinking the attack is immediate or string is over, and then die from after roll recovery or delay or something. Second is the swing that magically tracks when you are behind it lol.

For those that don't know who I'm talking about, it's this one:

Still_DLCchara_namahage_noblood_1493232960.jpg

The beefed up red ones are now giving me an actual problem, seeing as their attacks hurt even more. If it hits you on the back with any swing it's an instant kill.

Before, it used to be the wheelies and those tongue giants, but this thing by far annoys me the most on WoTW.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD