Nioh General Discussion

Brute

Standard Donor
The Nahamage are incredibly annoying. The best strategy is to try and counter-hit them for ki depletion, as they have a lot of active frames due to their long strings and delays. Kicks and shoves work relatively well, as does shuriken/kunai spam. I've also started bringing Weakness Talismans for them.

In other news, the Yata Mirror is incredible. Also, I like how some enemies have new attacks on WotW, though. Changes things up.

Also, if anyone has any tips for "The Sparrow Flies Again" on WotD, I'm all ears. By the time I reach Masamune I'm just depleted from Shigezane.
edit: Finally beat it, and now have all the trophies once again. Yay.

just_me

Standard Donor
I still run around with my Odachi and usually apply Bluster with Wind/Gale shot on annoying enemies that usually reduces the attack enough and I can just face tank the hits… especially if the Weaken Melee effect also triggers, that's ~70% attack reduction. There are very few wind resistant enemies, so that works well enough for me, except for the new Red enemies that can clear your buffs, if they hit you. Elemental shots are surprisingly good at hitting the Yokai horns, which is nice… quite often I can just run up to them after an elemental shot and kill them with a final blow.

Patch 1.15 also dropped and addresses the Silibar ingot and crash issues, but also reduces some mission rewards.
For instance “The Three souls” currently yield 3 of the new 100 million Amrita crystals every time and is really easy to clear… just run to the end and kill 3 imps. I farmed a bunch of those before I updated the game, since even upgrading all guardian spirits becomes quite expensive.

I currently enjoy Way of the Wise a lot more than WotD… it's almost as good as a NG+/new difficulty can get: New stuff to toy around with, lots of enemy shuffling and replacement with more threatening versions, the occasional new move for old enemies and even bosses, also some bosses seem to be a lot more aggressive (White Tiger and Giant Frog in particular)
I think its worth the experience only downside is you have to go through Way of the Strong and Demon to get there. You also finally need a build… otherwise you will just get one shot by almost everything, while you just tickle larger enemies.

Brute

Standard Donor
The tonfa are gradually becoming my weapon of choice. Their playstyle is catered to the way I always used the single sword except they are far more effective at it. Only downside is missing the Iaido strike. Currently using lvl 215(+22) water tonfas with +water damage, close combat life drain, and pierce guard for WotW. So far no significant troubles.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I have to give the wind element a bit more credit. It literally tones down the enemy attack ratings via the status ailment. How much ATK does it cut down? percentage? I was having a field day in Sekigahara with wind. I even had no problems with Shima Sakon despite his weakness being water.

Was using that full set.

just_me

Standard Donor
If I recall correctly, when I tested back in WotD all the damage reducing effects (Bluster, Weaken Melee, DevigorateTalisman) were roughly the same and reduced the damage taken by ~50%, I don't think this changed much. You can stack all 3 debuffs, but that's usually a waste of effort and not necessary.

With high Magic you are probably better of using the Talisman instead of the Wind debuff, since it's easier to apply (in WotW anyway), have to free up some capacity points to try this at some point…

Does anyone know what the last Agyo title is (below "Fox Spirit Hunter")?

@Brute not sure if still relevant, but got the title today:
One Man Army – cleared a mission in the Siege of Osaka (Winter) without using culverins.
Clear the first missions (or Twilight version?) without using a canon… I think…

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
So for Ethreal items, are they sort of fixed drop rates? Is it possible to get a higher probability drop count if you increase your LUCK stat?

just_me

Standard Donor
The general assumption is that Luck does affect ethereal drop rate, but I haven't seen any solid tests. After all who want's to kill a boss several 100 times with different setups just to get a good idea of the rates?
I have a tiny bit of data from some Ethereal Rifle farming and updated the other thread with some information (and pretty charts!), though that's more about set bonus distribution.

Unlike with Divines even with very high luck (say 700+) ethereal drops are still rare, some people also mentioned a possible pity timer, but there is no solid evidence either.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
The general assumption is that Luck does affect ethereal drop rate, but I haven't seen any solid tests. After all who want's to kill a boss several 100 times with different setups just to get a good idea of the rates?
I have a tiny bit of data from some Ethereal Rifle farming and updated the other thread with some information (and pretty charts!), though that's more about set bonus distribution.

Unlike with Divines even with very high luck (say 700+) ethereal drops are still rare, some people also mentioned a possible pity timer, but there is no solid evidence either.

Checked the thread again and the update OP. I gotta say, you've done really well on it. You even made a chart which I don't see often particularly on the item drops. What are your traits and specifics on getting 500+ luck? have you noticed any differences regarding stages? obvious differences between Twilight and original?

just_me

Standard Donor
Checked the thread again and the update OP. I gotta say, you've done really well on it. You even made a chart which I don't see often particularly on the item drops. What are your traits and specifics on getting 500+ luck? have you noticed any differences regarding stages? obvious differences between Twilight and original?

My Luck setup was:
Daiba Washi primary, Itokuri secondary @Lvl50 – +70+42 (that's better than the other way around)
max. possible bonus from titles – +90
2 Yata Mirrors – +60x2 (I have one with set requirement -1, so don't need Yasakani anymore)
Swallowtail set + Kodama bowl – +75 from set and inherited luck on most pieces ~+100

I used this to get the smithing texts in the last DLC (without the Yata mirrors obviously), so it's not really a luck build or anything, just something I had available.
The data comes from a single loot spot in “The One-Eyed-Dragon's Castle” that always drops a rifle and boots, since you just run past everything the set doesn't need (nor has) survivability. I wouldn't claim that the drop rates from this spot generalise to all “high quality” loot spots, or overall ethereal drop rates, it's just a point of reference.

I also killed the first Bandit in Isle of Demons WotW till I got an ethereal from him, that took around 150 kills without any Luck boosting in particular.
And currently I'm trying to get an Ethereal Monohoshizao with Susano bonus from the Ganryu mission and get an Ethereal drop roughly every 4 kills with +300 Luck, Luckbringer and Ochoko boost (I quit the game, if there is either no, or a useless Ethereal drop instead of finishing the mission, to save Ochokos)
So that's a bit more data…
edit: I finished my Monohoshizao farming. From 130 loot attempts 62 Ethereal items dropped (sometimes more than 1 ethereal item dropped and those were counted as such. I've got up to 3 ethereal items per kill)

Anecdotally I'd say that Higher Level mission yield more Ethereals and Twilight Missions seem to be better in general, but I didn't gather any hard data on this, if you start taking notes after every drop you won't get anything done in this game :p

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
Did they recently adjust the amount of Amrita needed to level up? All of a sudden I'm leveling up incredibly quickly. It used to be about 1-2 level-ups for a single WotW Twilight mission. But I just leveled about 10 times from a single Twilight mission.

Not that I'm complaining or anything. Feels great.

just_me

Standard Donor
Yes, Amrita rates were adjusted with v1.16 today (along with the cap, which is 550 now)
tgTEjOq.jpg

Patch notes: http://imgur.com/a/ncATS

Brute

Standard Donor
And to think I'm only in the early 300s. That also explains how I've been able to chain three Iai Quickdraws before a skeleton can rise from the ground.

Thanks, Team Ninja.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
@just_me @Brute

Ah hey guys, so I looked around Reddit, Youtube etc. and haven't found anything related to this sort, but this paralysis quick setup I recorded is pretty nuts. It's not any huge build to eliminate everything and I'm sure there are faster ways of beating Marobashi, but this one in particular is easy with just equipping one set and having paralysis on your weapon with augmentation. Literally 2-3 hits and they are instantly paralyzed. On human opponents you can instantly do grapple.

I used Tonfas with Paralysis and augmentation. The armor is the Sarutobi set that you get when you beat Sarutobi Sasuke in the newest DLC mission which I'm sure you guys already knew that anyway. Got the smithing text and just forged it just to try.

Last edited:

just_me

Standard Donor
mhm… that's indeed surprisingly quick build up, given it's only 18 base paralysis… maybe the base values for status ailments are extremely high on those strong attacks, or something? Could be pretty easy to inflict other status ailments with those attacks as well.

Certainly interesting even though the Tonfa Dmg is pretty low, but I guess you could go all out and get a Hino-Enma Kabuto and Accessories with CCD(paralyzed) on everything for like 90% additional Dmg with those Grapples. I wonder if you could make it proc in one hit, if you try to stack paralysis and status ailment aug from all possible sources…

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
mhm… that's indeed surprisingly quick build up, given it's only 18 base paralysis… maybe the base values for status ailments are extremely high on those strong attacks, or something? Could be pretty easy to inflict other status ailments with those attacks as well.

Certainly interesting even though the Tonfa Dmg is pretty low, but I guess you could go all out and get a Hino-Enma Kabuto and Accessories with CCD(paralyzed) on everything for like 90% additional Dmg with those Grapples. I wonder if you could make it proc in one hit, if you try to stack paralysis and status ailment aug from all possible sources…

Actually now that I think about it, I remember inflicting other ailments like Water or Earth and it ends up stacking quite fast with the Tonfas via specific attacks. I'll probably try messing around with it more via Blacksmith and other modifiers on traits for more damage hopefully.

Edit: @just_me did you try the "Grace of" by chance? what are your thoughts on it? do you feel an entire set is worth it? or only bits to get the bonuses off specific ones on certain amount of pieces?

Last edited:

just_me

Standard Donor
Edit: @just_me did you try the "Grace of" by chance? what are your thoughts on it? do you feel an entire set is worth it? or only bits to get the bonuses off specific ones on certain amount of pieces?

I have the 5pc Susano bonus atm (both melee and both ranged weapons). Most 6 and 7pc bonuses are not really good enough to aim for imo, maybe Tsukoyomi, if you desperately want to make an Onmyo build. Susano is OK as well, but you'd have to use armor pieces to get it and you can only get a 4pc bonus from another set. Futsunushi could be worth it, but since these only drop from Revenants, it seems there is no way to get ranged weapons with the set bonus atm so it's far more restrictive than the other sets, though from what I can tell making Iai builds with the 6pc bonus and a star skill katana is the new train to jump on.

And obviously if you want a rather specific piece of Grace gear, getting what you want is quite the RNG nightmare… e.g. a melee weapon with a specific star skill, 5 rolls without inhertiable and a specific set bonus. I'd use almost any heavy Susano chest piece, but even with several hundred Ethereals didn't get one.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD