Nioh General Discussion

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I gotta say that the Izuna Drop is pretty useful all around. You even get a free final blow impale after waiting for 2 hard seconds from the Izuna Drop. There's also the lai Strike into final blow impale which might be slightly better, but Izuna Drop is definitely better than the old grapple impale from the looks of it. It's too bad that you can only do it when they're out of stamina because I probably would of done it to an enemy unaware on who's behind them or other factors that give you a free grapple attack.

Last edited:

Sotherius

I just finished the DLC (And Also the Master Ninja side-mission)

And i have one left question:

What the hell happens to Maria?

Sotherius

She escaped Japan to prepare for the sequel.
Is funny, because TN stated that William's story would be over at the third dlc, so i imagine that if we get a sequel, it would be another protagonist, maybe even maria herself? That is not too far-fetched i guess.

Also, i'm really disappointed that Okatsu didn't come back in any dlc, wonder what she did in those years..

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
William's story isn't over. The Sengoku period involving William is over. So you probably won't see characters like Yukimura, Masamune, and few others anymore. I get the feeling that Hanzo and Okatsu will be making a comeback in the sequel.

Sotherius

I mean, TN said that they weren't bring William as a protagonist in a possible sequel because his story would be over by the third dlc, now if only i can find the interview, but i remember seeing it.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
The one I read was from Tom's Playstation blog. Who knows really. If anything, the closest thing to it all is that William might not be a playable character in the sequel (or not) but could still appear. We do have skins and such, and we 'probably' could get a new main character. It's based off real history after all with the added fiction of demons etc. Though I can't doubt the possibility of him being the main character again.

Sotherius

Ok, i have some questions.

I did the master ninja mission, i thought that the inferno ninpo was something you would get first time?

Also, how do i get the forging scrolls to do the armors and weapons that are unique? Also, Is the base damage of a weapon random when you forge it?

just_me

Standard Donor
No both skills are random drops.

The smithing texts for armor and the kusarigama are random drops as well, the smithing text for the sword is a mission reward on Way of the Nioh.

Base damage is not random, it's tied to the item Level, but depending on your progress in the game you might be able to forge gear within a certain level range, the attack value preview reflects this as well. The lower value is for the lowest possible item level and the the higher value for the highest.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I thought we get both at the same time one time. I got the Izuna Drop on my very first encounter with him but didn't have Inferno. I thought it was a difficulty requirement since I beat him on WotW. It took me like 7-8 tried to finally get the ninpo to drop.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
@just_me So recently I seen reddit post of other players defiling items repeatedly on specific floors of the Abyss. I read one post where one mentioned that the higher floor you are in, the easier it is to defile the same item over and over again, but wouldn't it be easier to defile it on a lesser floor than a higher one? or is it because the lesser floors doesn't have a high chance to turn it ethereal or it is based on a percentage of getting lucky that the item turns ethereal?

No both skills are random drops.

The smithing texts for armor and the kusarigama are random drops as well, the smithing text for the sword is a mission reward on Way of the Nioh.

Base damage is not random, it's tied to the item Level, but depending on your progress in the game you might be able to forge gear within a certain level range, the attack value preview reflects this as well. The lower value is for the lowest possible item level and the the higher value for the highest.

just_me

Standard Donor
Well the possible results of defiled items are tied to the floor you leave The Abyss. So you have to at least leave on a floor where ethereals can appear (that's 21 afaik, where the bosses have WotW difficulty), but if you already are in WotN you probably want item level ~300(+35), means you have to use at least floors in the thirties.

Higher floors are only for the desired plus level, since the chance to turn divines into ethereals seems already pretty good in the range of 30-50. I think people pick a floor bracket with the easiest bosses to get your +3 boost before leaving, since the bosses are fixed (as well as the debuffs, but the planes seem to be random)

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Having to work harder than I should due to being wildly under-leveled for the DLC. How long does it take to get to the Master Ninja side mission? And is anything in Bloodshed's End harder than Yukimura? He was a bastard and I ended up having to shoot him in the face to end his living weapons because he stayed in them too long. I was 60 levels below recommended though.

Brute

Standard Donor
Having to work harder than I should due to being wildly under-leveled for the DLC. How long does it take to get to the Master Ninja side mission?
You have to beat all three Primary Missions for it to unlock.

And is anything in Bloodshed's End harder than Yukimura? He was a bastard and I ended up having to shoot him in the face to end his living weapons because he stayed in them too long.
Yukimura has always been far easier for me than Date, so yes. I would say that nearly every boss encounter is harder than Yukimura in this DLC, though none were harder for me than Date.

I was 60 levels below recommended though.
Again, those are irrelevant. I was over 400 levels below the last mission's recommended level that I beat, and it wasn't outrageously difficult at all.

Sotherius

I noticed that equipment is far more important than levels, which is sad....

I'm happy i finally have a Raikiri as my main weapon that actually has the better damage output, but i know i won't be able to use it forever.

:/

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I noticed that equipment is far more important than levels, which is sad....

I'm happy i finally have a Raikiri as my main weapon that actually has the better damage output, but i know i won't be able to use it forever.

:/

I mean, isn't that a good thing? especially for this type of game because I definitely don't want to grind levels where the mission requirement is to be at level 1240 just to even beat it. Way of The NiOh is a good example of this.

I'm like 520+ however to be honest, if I ever get to 750, I might just take a huge break from the game or just stop playing it entirely. We practically beat everything (sort of, there's the Abyss but I might get extremely bored somewhere down the line, so I might just stop on that too).

Sotherius

I get that NiOH is a rpg, and it needs a progression system, but no, i didn't mean in the sense that it would be better to grind levels.

I mean, take for instance, the Raikiri, is a weapon that you get on like the third stage of the story mode, i would like to be able to stick with that weapon for the whole game, instead of having to forge an improved version of it, that there should be some like, clear understandable upgrade system that would make possible to make any equipment great, instead of hoping for lucky drops/good rng on forging weapon, and an upgrade system that i still don't understand how it works.

Also, i did a mission yesterday with Tachibana as a partner in the third dlc, kind of sad that...
Ginchyo died... I wonder what is Okatsu doing in the events of the third dlc, she doesn't appear and i couldn't find any mention to her, anyone noticed something?

Also, talking more about the story of the game.. We learn by the end of the game, that Saoirse effectively makes William immortal, wonder if he will die of old age, or he is still protecting japan from the shadows or something.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I get the idea you are going for and I don't disagree, but it seems to be the base game and I for one am not a big fan of RNG huge relations either. I mean, how exactly are they going to go for it with here on out? Borderlands type? Diablo? sequel might do the same thing with what you see now with other new stuff on top of it. I managed to tolerate it and I would hope they can focus on putting more gameplay mixture with the entire arsenal rather than cheesing through the whole game from Blade Spin Kusari etc. Low stance seems practically useless (it kinda is if you have access to these mid/high attacks that can 2-3 hit a boss with a skill attack and gear). Overall, they could do something about the leveling system and the benefits, but I definitely wouldn't want a game where we have to continuously grind for levels just to even complete something. If I had to get gear to back that up then so be it. Drop rates is a killer I know and I don't like that either.

My only take regarding equipment is that there shouldn't be a mode where equipment is of importance for PvP, but then they added regular without it since equipment is left with too many variables and factors for proper balance. Unless we are comparing it to something like that of Ninja Gaiden where it's gameplay motion over everything else and the idea of using the main weapon from start to finish. I like that too but NiOh seems to be a completely different ballgame here and the direction of the game.

Sotherius

Yeah, the rng and the loot system is rooted to the core gameplay of the game, and i think it removes the mechanical and technical part of the game in a bad way.

I use low stance a lot, probably because my build isn't optimal in any way.

A simple way to make the equipment effects not affect the combat would be... pretty simple i think.

First, remove all those weird and different status something can have. Then, each weapon will be either unique (like Raikiri, or the Dragon Sword), or will be some common type that can be found multiple places/forged, like the basic Uchigatana, then you would have to upgrade those weapons at the smith, where the end result would be getting a high quality weapon if you stick with the one you want. You could make each weapon unique of course, by adding some default effects like lighting damage attached to it, or making the weapon hit harder but consuming more ki, or the opposite way, common weapons could have different upgrade paths, this way, it would suit different playstyles, imagine omnyo mage set giving you more ninjutsu points, or allowing to carry more talismans.

Same basic idea for equipment.

In this way, the loot and grinding would be focused on getting material to upgrade the weapons/armor, the different effects equipment could stack together would be in a more controlable enviroment, te game would be focused on mastering its combat, and using the different set of skills. Trying different builds and weapon types would be encourajed.

Leveling up would just need fine tuning for the balance i guess.

I know this seems like i don't like NiOH, but i love it, even with the gripe that i have with the upgrade/equipment system, still a great game, but i'm still really sad that at one point, i'll have to exchange my divine raikiri for something else.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Screenshot_20171002-094847.png

The complete edition is coming to pc November 7th!

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD