No Tag Mode Thoughts

Dionysus

It's been out a while that there would be no tag mode; it was in one of the earliest interviews. Some people have mentioned it but I thought I would make a proper thread about it since it is a whole game mode, and I'm actually quite sad about it being gone. Whenever I play 5 for fun nowadays, I either play tag survival or just versus; I like seeing all the special entrances, exits and tag throws, and it lets me play as more characters faster. I also like the faster pace.

I've seen a lot of people here and on videos about the series etc. say that tag mode was one of their personal favourite parts of the series, but what do you all think? Personally I think it's a big loss, but I guess eSports doesn't use it much and thus it's expendable from that perspective.

Cadaveri

Not really fussed about it being removed (for now as pointed out).

I'd rather have more stages/characters and I'm sure there would be less of those If they used more time on developing tag

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I think tag should remain casually, but not as a setting within the online modes. DOA mostly focuses on the 1vs1 aspect, so newcomers who are trying to get into the series should develop from the core part of the game and increasing the lobby amounts for more consistent games than splitting the online community for two different portions where one practically doesn't exist.

I might sound like a dick here (which i'm not really trying to be) but this can be a good thing to get all the players into one single mode and harden themselves to eventually become super good at the game. Normally I'd say "Who cares about tag" but all those tag intros and outros were pretty well damn made and I also thought that was neat having cool stuff like that. I think Tag should remain within versus modes.

Last edited:

Shirataki Tsume

I guess they removed tag mode because there's already a 3-point hold option, and I'm not sure if people who use the 3-point hold option will be able to fight together with the ones who use the 4-point hold option.

Even though I don't play tag a lot, I did enjoy the tag combos, seeing characters taking turns on hitting the opponent with such harmonious teamwork, as well as those tag throws and tag poses.

werewolfgold

Tag has definitely been a shining feature, though not without a few issues. I'd only forgive its loss if it means that they can work on keeping the roster where it's supposed to be (DOA5LR minus guests and maybe Alpha-152) with some good balance. If they're taking modes away and trying to double-dip by selling past characters, that's just lame.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Tag has definitely been a shining feature, though not without a few issues. I'd only forgive its loss if it means that they can work on keeping the roster where it's supposed to be (DOA5LR minus guests and maybe Alpha-152) with some good balance. If they're taking modes away and trying to double-dip by selling past characters, that's just lame.

Tag was overall a completely different tank. It's like separating a car with a bicycle. Why ride the hummer for a quick ride on a few blocks away when you can take a bike there with 0 gas loss and better maneuverability?

I once came up with the idea that tag should have it's own standalone game (similar to Namco's TTT games) where they can properly focus on the mode and put all efforts into it while also having it as second game for other profitable ideas (if it's profit I guess). Heck, I'd even play the standalone game simply because I'd have a much better faith on effort put into it, rather than just tossing tag mode in the game where it's mostly solo played with the only bits of positive mentions was the intro/outros along with the tag throws. You can create proper guaranteeds during stun situations, or limiting the amount of swaps you can do etc. Tag might actually be taken serious legitimately if there was strong logical process to how things can be handled.

mizking

I enjoyed it in previous instalments but I could never get into it in 5. Needs some work I guess or maybe because we might be starting off with a smaller roster

Bacaww

I mean it was a fun casual gamemode, doubt anyone here wanted competitive tag considering how broken it was on 5. I will miss the tag throws tho ;(

Ninoasker

I agree.

I can live without a secondary mode like Tag was since I actually never really played it that much other than for some pretty casual offline matches with my cousin, so it won't affect my gameplay experience. However, characters is a whole different story since if any of my mains are removed I'd be basically forced to learn a new character just for this game. I could do that (and I probably would), but that's already something that would ruin the experience for me, so... I'm ok with tag mode being gone if that means the veteran roster will stay intact, just like werewolfgold said.

P2p1mbs

Tag was part of the series for a long time so I'm a bit disappointed its been removed but I rarely played tag myself so I wont miss it. As long as TN shows removing it helps in making the final game more balanced by keeping the development "focused", it should be fine.

As everyone else says, I am sure they will plan to have it back for future rereleases. After all, the tag mode for the base release of 5 was mostly the same from previous games but for 5 ultimate, they added the force out function.

I just hope they don't make a Tekken style dedicated tag spinoff to make up for the removal.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Management is clearly pressing Shimbori for time so he's trying to focus his energy most effectively. I would expect tag to be back for season 2. I wouldn't want a rushed tag mode anyway - I'd want them to take their time and fix it more like 2/3, I really can't stand tag in 4/5, and it used to be one of my favorite modes. I introduced my brothers to DOA by having them be my tag partners. They refused to play against me, having no experience, but teaming up together really empowers newer players if done right. Can't exactly tag up online with these trash connections though.

Last edited:

euphoria

If they don't bring tag back, I want more unique interacting for intros and outros at least.

heck give us rival scenes in the middle of arcade haha x

This. I barely played tag mode in 5, only really to unlock costumes faster and certainly never online. That said, I enjoyed all the character interactions with the tag intros and win poses. I hope there’s still some means of seeing character relationships in 6 outside of the story mode.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I personally don't care tbh, tag is more a casual mode anyway and it's basically a scramble to get a CH or a launch amd juggle the opponent until they have no life left, the mode isn't really that fun besides the ability to use two characters. The interactions the characters have in that mode can be used as more unique poses for the characters

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD