No Tag Mode Thoughts

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
They could just have the stuns and relaunchers...not work differently in tag. Having everything normalized across the board would likely make going in between solo and tag less of a hassle to get straight anyway. Not to mention having the gravity be the same would make eternal combos not really a thing to complain about.

Just a random, sleep-deprived thought.

This was my first thought. But then you'd also have to change swap outs on hit due to stun advantage being greater and eliminating move recovery. An example here, when you land a sitdown stun 90% of the roster can net a guaranteed launch from a move that is not possible at all within solo because you can stagger out of them. In tag however, you can eliminate the recovery from the startup move that led to the sitdown making follow ups guaranteed when you swap on hit. You could even net a guaranteed CB that most of the roster can't actually do from a sitdown, except for very few on solo.

Juggle height is not the only problem here. Stun situations such as crumple, limbo, sitdowns, feint stuns (possibly the worst one) with ability to swap right after into a guaranteed move into a setup can be pretty dangerous. Problem is that not many would do something like that because Tag can get pretty hard on the buttons but yet it is definitely possible to do it. There is so many complicated resulted messy factors being in play because of DOA having a stun system to begin with, on top of adding more launch height (or AKA less gravity to a sense) is just making tag look like a mess of silly proportions that doesn't actually make sense in technical portions.

Last edited:

Raansu

They could just have the stuns and relaunchers...not work differently in tag. Having everything normalized across the board would likely make going in between solo and tag less of a hassle to get straight anyway. Not to mention having the gravity be the same would make eternal combos not really a thing to complain about.

Just a random, sleep-deprived thought.

I mean, it would just be a generic 2v2 at that point. Wouldn't really be tag anymore. Plus as DB said, the tag in kind of removes recovery on strings leading to a lot of situations that wouldn't occur in singles, so now you gotta change that as well....which again at that point would it really be tag anymore?

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I mean, it would just be a generic 2v2 at that point. Wouldn't really be tag anymore. Plus as DB said, the tag in kind of removes recovery on strings leading to a lot of situations that wouldn't occur in singles, so now you gotta change that as well....which again at that point would it really be tag anymore?

Here's another bit (because DOA5LR's health base is 300)

Solo -

Leifang 6P > 64P > Feint stun > launch > combos > 52 damage. (Oh, that's pretty normal)

Tag -

Leifang 6P > 64P > Feint stun > Swap to Leon > P+K (guaranteed) [Burst by the way because Leon's CB cracks at early Lvl. 2 threshold] > Leifang+Leon juggle > 131 damage.

In short, you lost almost half your health from "one" guess within that very first hit of the stun into the feint stun cancelling it's recovery completely, making the CB guaranteed from Leon (you are not allowed to hold during a feint stun either). Which means that you'll have to guess after that very first hit from the mid to avoid all that damage.

werewolfgold

CB doesn't appear to be a thing in DOA6, though. It wouldn't be quite the same thing. Leon's P+K would just lead to a holdable stun. At which point, you might want to go for a launch instead like the solo combo. It would still perhaps end up being a lengthier combo, but not as devastating.

While the canceling into tag would be a bit of a wild card across characters (I don't think anyone would want that removed, so it'd still be a "tag" mode), the guaranteed damage involved wouldn't be as severe. In theory, at least.

But...ya know...if people like the devastating guaranteed damage combos, then people still wouldn't be getting what they want out of the mode.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
CB doesn't appear to be a thing in DOA6, though. It wouldn't be quite the same thing. Leon's P+K would just lead to a holdable stun. At which point, you might want to go for a launch instead like the solo combo. It would still perhaps end up being a lengthier combo, but not as devastating.

You can still amass 120+ points without the need of a CB. There is over 4 different possibilities due to the game having a -stun system- and recovery of the moves completely bypassed. That is an issue. Can't take tag seriously if players are bypassing the portions of a 3D fighter by eliminating recovery off moves unless they lessened the stun from new unstaggerable situations to become staggerable, but even then, I doubt TN would do this due to the game's swap mechanic. The swap mechanic is also one of the reason why combos get extended by miles.

Oh? no CB? not a problem. Leon's 8PPP is completely guaranteed here. The first hit leads to a sitdown (guaranteed due to Leifang's feint stun), the second hit will cause a launch (can't hold it, guaranteed and unstaggerable just like in solo), and the 3rd hit is the height rise into the same exact combo without the need of a CB. How much damage is off by? Oh. Off by 9 points. Looks like CB isn't even needed and the damage is insanely huge here with barely any effort actually.

While the canceling into tag would be a bit of a wild card across characters (I don't think anyone would want that removed, so it'd still be a "tag" mode), the guaranteed damage involved wouldn't be as severe. In theory, at least.

Someone came up with the idea to limit the amount of swaps with an icon. Similar to Marvel vs Capcom where if you do an assist the icon of your secondary characters will become grey, and will light up again when you are ready to use. Perhaps swap limit up to 3 times max into an ender (?) possibly, but then there has to be some type of limitations during hit scenarios that isn't a juggle either. The factor right now is DOA's stun system is mostly focused to solo. Too many different stun types that were brought into tag without really checking the resulting factors.

But...ya know...if people like the devastating guaranteed damage combos, then people still wouldn't be getting what they want out of the mode.

That depends. Pretty hard to get exactly what you want when there are too many 1s and 0s to scrape off issues that somehow regenerates itself to no end.

werewolfgold

You can still amass 120+ points without the need of a CB. There is over 4 different possibilities due to the game having a -stun system- and recovery of the moves completely bypassed. That is an issue. Can't take tag seriously if players are bypassing the portions of a 3D fighter by eliminating recovery off moves unless they lessened the stun from new unstaggerable situations to become staggerable, but even then, I doubt TN would do this due to the game's swap mechanic. The swap mechanic is also one of the reason why combos get extended by miles.

Oh? no CB? not a problem. Leon's 8PPP is completely guaranteed here. The first hit leads to a sitdown (guaranteed due to Leifang's feint stun), the second hit will cause a launch (can't hold it, guaranteed and unstaggerable just like in solo), and the 3rd hit is the height rise into the same exact combo without the need of a CB. How much damage is off by? Oh. Off by 9 points. Looks like CB isn't even needed and the damage is insanely huge here with barely any effort actually.
Well, clearly, you've been playing more tag in DOA5 than I have. lol

I also think limiting the swaps via some method would be a good way to go. But, yeah. There don't seem to be super simple solutions.

Pn33milan

When did they say they are going to remove tag mode?

I like the mode, but i do play it only casually against the cpu as well.
I'd be a little sad if they removed it anyway.
But again, can somebody send me a link where they say it? because i must have missed it

Raansu

When did they say they are going to remove tag mode?

I like the mode, but i do play it only casually against the cpu as well.
I'd be a little sad if they removed it anyway.
But again, can somebody send me a link where they say it? because i must have missed it

It was confirmed in a famitsu interview.

Pn33milan

That's odd, i seriously don't remember it.

I also thought i saw the blocked "tag mode" in the earliest build

I'm probably mistaken :(

But anyway, just to be 100% sure, does anybody here has the link to that interview?

Last edited:

Mesharey

It's my most wanted feature, I don't want new characters or anything, just add tag mode, I use it to play with my friends for hours.. now we can't. :<

Pn33milan

I would have liked, at the time, to play it more with friends, but the game couldn't handle 4 connections at the same time.
Anyway, i understand why getting rid of it competitively, but i still would have left it offline at least

Pn33milan

Maybe.
I only hope they'll put the important stuff immediately.
If they end up making a ultimate edition, no problem

We should be accostumed to that XD

Crext

Standard Donor
I didn't like the gameplay of "forever hovering" juggles, which ruined it completely for me. Also, you shouldn't be allowed not to be 2 people on each tag team. A person playing solo has a huge advantage over to 2 people playing on their own respective consoles. Also, the netcode / people's overall internet need to improve some as people where disconnecting left and right all the time.

That said, I love the idea.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD