DOA5U Official Ayane Match Up Listing

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
2pq7wyf.jpg

"Prepare!"

Lady Hajinmon is ready to kick your ass!!

Anyway, lol, I want to keep all of our match up discussion for our Killer Kunoichi under one thread, neatly organized. So that players will not have to search through a thread filled with posts of questions and match ups scattered everywhere.

Each match up break down will be kept inside of a quote, so that huge walls of texts are not shown throughout each post. If you wish to to see the full quote for a match up, simply click on the quote to expand it.

I will have each of our already explained match ups within the OP, and a few several posts after that. If anyone feels that they are capable of thoroughly explaining a certain match up, then by all means, by my guest. However, these match ups are to be explained through sheer experience with other decent and good players, and not just numbers. There is no theory fighter here.

This is how our match up numbers will work;

5-5 = Even or fair
6-4 = Favorable for Ayane
4-6 = Unfavorable for Ayane

Each match will have Ayane vs Opponent's character, followed by it's match up number, followed by the information inside of a quote. If for some reason, you disagree with said match up, feel free to state your opinion and I will also explain my side. If you wish to give some insight on said match up that you may have discovered before, or feel that I or someone else has missed, feel free to speak about it and we can discuss it.

I can always edit or make updates to a particular match up after we've agreed about something about said match up.

I will be adding new match ups over time, since I have a lot of experience in most of them.

Ayane vs Christie | 5-5
Ayane 10/13/12 vs Christie 9/11/14

Up close, Ayane has a 10 frame jab (P), two 13 frame mids (6P/6K), and a 12 frame low jab (2P). Christie has a 9 frame jab (P), an 11 frame mid punch (6P), and a 14 frame low jab into a string (2PPP). 2PPP starts low, goes high, then ends with a mid punch.

Right off the bat, Christie has slight advantage up close due to her speed. However, as I always say, faster speed does not dominate Ayane anywhere. It just means you are not going to be combating faster characters with your fastest mids too often, that's it. When fighting characters with mids that are much faster than yours, you need to make an offensive breakthrough or know the exact amount of frames opponents are at in order to poke out with a 6P.

When fighting Christie up close, you need to be patient and pay close attention to her as she tries passing through your defense. If she's pressuring you with jab strings, block, just block and watch her carefully. She is going to do one of a few things;

- Jab poke you while free cancelling: She will attempt to do anything here, more jab pressure, alternate her attack height, attempt to throw, delay strings, use JAK for mix up (if you see Christie using JAK against you up close OUTSIDE of stun, your answer is always 4P, always).

- Jab(s) into throw
- Jab(s) strings into JAK
- Jab(s) strings: Finishing them immediately or delaying. Delaying her strings can result into her actually delaying or free cancelling.

If you see that Christie is opting to pressure you with jab strings so often, Ayane's crushes will play a huge role here then. 8K, 4P, 1P, 2P, especially 8K and 4P will counter hit her clean.

Christie also has some fairly good high crushes too, not including JAK stance.

- 1P, 1PK
- 2P, 2PP, 2PPP
- 2H+KP, 2H+K H+P

(I may have left something out, sorry if I have)

1P tracks, 2P and 2H+K do not track. Christie's 7K is a good "get the fuck off me" move as well.

Versus Ayane, Christie JAK stance is only dangerous while Ayane IS IN CRITICAL STUN, because if she's not, then Christie is going to get blown up by 4P often (only if you're reacting to JAK stance). Christie becomes a big problem (for any character) once she hits and has you stunned, because you are not going to be stagger escaping out of Christie's stuns. She is too fast and has good deep stuns to keep you locked up.

So if she hits you then goes into JAK stance, you have to guess her 50/50.

Ways to deal with Christie up close;

If Christie is opting for her mids (6P or 6K, 6K is a 13 frame mid kick) more than often, then your jab(s) come into play here, as well as side step (just the side step, do not use a side step followup or you will get counter hit), and your holds. If Christie goes high often, you have your high crushes that I mentioned before. Christie is not winning the low jab pressure route with Ayane, unless you are being slow.

What a lot of Ayane players don't realize, is that our low jab, 2P, is a very important tool up close. It's -4 on block and +0 on hit, and it can change the momentum in our favor all too often because it forces opponents to worry about it. That alone allows us to poke with our mids when we can, or make opponents respond how we want. That's why, when you see me playing, I'm not spamming 2P for the sake of it. I do it to break my opponent's offense AND defense so I can shake the momentum or match in my favor.

You just have to be aware of both your speed and your opponent's speed in order to know how effective your low jab pressure can be in a match up.

Ways to get into Ayane's Comfort Zone safely;

P and 2P, or high crushing.

- P > BT8P: This tactic is golden in any match up and at any moment (unless your back is to the wall).
- 2P: A low jab on counter hit pushes opponents back and gives you breathing room. It's up to you decide whether you will start an offense immediately afterward, or back off a bit in neutral and play a range game or do something defensively.
- If you're high crushing with 4P (or any high crush that will net you some offense), you obviously just scored a counter hit high crush, some solid damage and a scored a knock down. Now it is your chance to go offensive or play defensively. That decision is yours because everyone plays differently.

Fighting at a distance;

Here's the deal here, most players who play this game do not have very good fundamentals or have poor footsies (even some solid competitive players in this game lack good footsies). What makes Ayane a very strong character in this area is not because she has range tools, because anyone can easily run in at you and be in your face again, ignoring your tools. So, that's far from the truth.

What makes Ayane a strong character while at a distance is that players who have a solid defense and strong fundamentals and footsies will take advantage of her range tools and movement because you know how and when they need to be applied in a given situation. You NEED to force opponents to realize that they cannot just run in on you for free whenever they want. You NEED to force them to respect your range and what you actually have and are capable of doing there.

Ayane has solid whiff punishers and great range pokes that compliment her stylish yet viable movement abilities. A combination of the 3 including strong footsies need to be taken into consideration here when playing Ayane's range game. Because it's very easy to run up to her again if you lack the ability to do any of these things.

I am saying this because Ayane dominates Christie at a distance. Christie can make for solid footsies as well (almost any character can) but her options at range are outshined by Ayane's. Ayane doesn't care about Christie's JAK stance at this rate. Christie can be pretty deceptive with JAK options at range, but Ayane's 3H+K and 236K can hit all of her options at the right distance (except for the low sweeps from JAK).

And, Christie has her running low slide kick, but Ayane should be facing forward if she sees that. Christie has 66K as well, and 3P+K options. But, you're not going to try beating out any options at range, you just want Christie to press buttons and/or make a mistake somewhere. So that you can punish her for whiffing, getting sloppy, or getting something blocked or held.

Ayane's range pokes;

- 3P
- KK
- 3H+K
- BT2P
- BT2K
- BT 4H+K
- BT6P
- BT6K
- BT 3KK
- BT PP
- BT PP6KK4: Excellent way of getting in as long as it's blocked.

Ayane's whiff punishers;

- 3H+K
- BT4K
- BT 4H+K
- BT6P
- 1P+K P
- 1P+K K
- BTH+P
- BT 6H+P
- 7P+K: Yes, you can whiff punish players with a Power Blow (when your PB is activated, obviously).

If I have to label the match up, I'd say it is about 5-5. Ayane can keep Christie out fairly well, and she can fight her up close too. But Christie has better mixups up close and better pressure as well. 4P hurts Christie's JAK stance a lot up close outside of Critical stun. But Christie is very difficult to deal with once she hits you. Neither character totally dominates the other, but both character's strengths work well here as well.

Both have very good damage output so neither really outshines the other in that area.

More info on Ayane v Christie;
Hajin's overview on the Ayane/Christie MU is excellent but I'll add my input also. At the start of the match or R1F. What you want to watch out from Christie is when she uses her 6P,PPP or PPP2P etc. nonsense. Her 2PPP is easily beaten out by Ayane's 2P so lows are a non-issue in close. At the start of rounds I generally spin away because you really don't want to spend a lot of time in Christie's face. Her poking capability is just too good.

The way to handle Christie is to zone her and force her to get creative in how she moves in on you. Her JAK bullshit means little to Ayane at any sort of range. 3H+K and 4P makes short work of it. The only time JAK may be effective is as a mix-up during combos. But majority of the time Ayane laughs at the JAK stance. Be careful of the rolling stance because it can crush mids like 3H+K and roll right under it. Also try to take heed of when Christie uses GB's such as 4P+K. She'll start to use these to open you up along with 2H+KP or her Attack Grabs (eg. 2H+K~T)

The way to make Christie fear Ayane is to make them feel shivers down their spine at the thought of 4P. In other words crush highs and interrupt her when you can with 4P (or 6P if possible) and whiff punish with 3PP for a low level launch. 4P is probably the biggest thorn in Christie's side. Make her dread the power of the 4P! Make her feel like she can't run her shit on you because you'll punish her with 4P or 3PP.

Ayane doesn't exactly excel at keeping people locked up and on the defensive but Christie players hate being on the defensive especially against characters with good mid or low tracking ability (which would include Ayane's 4P or 1P). It also helps that Christie's throws and holds are mostly shit, though I'd still be careful of 4T resets. Compared to other characters Christie rarely gets good damage on a Hi-counter throw.

As for Lisa, I'm less familiar with her, but she can appear surprisingly similar to Ayane. She feels like Ayane with jumping OH's because of her preference for fighting at range, her evasiveness and a reliance on different stances such as her BT. Unlike Ayane, Lisa is somewhat slow and is more vulnerable to being rushed down. Unfortunately Ayane's not that good at rushing people down so for fighting Lisa you may want to try and bait her to throw something out that you can whiff punish with 3PP for example. When Lisa "dances" around in her various stances, always be weary of when she'll throw out her jumping OH's because she does have quite of bit of them from front stance or BT stance.

The main aim when fighting Lisa is to keep her momentum from her by pressuring her before she can get her offense started. Although Ayane can't really rush down that much, her pokes are faster than Lisa's so it's ok to get in her face. She'll be forced to have to use her evasive moves to try and shift momentum (her crush abilities are pretty good). At range it'll become a game of who can bait the other first. Watch out for her 66K or jumping OHs and other such moves which are essentially a mix-up. Also don't forget that Lisa's Front CB is a Mid K and her BT CB is a Mid P. Lisa's throws are also very strong so take heed when holding (although when you get used to them, Lisa's strings can appear a bit more "obvious" then some other character's strings). Lastly punish the 1PP, 1PKK... etc. bullshit whenever possible.

Ayane vs Genfu | 5-5
Ayane (10/13/12) vs Genfu (10/11/15)

Some beginner notes here; Genfu's jab is -2 on normal hit and block. His 2P is +0 on hit and -4 on block.

Alright, so this is literally Ayane's only bad match up in this game. It's pretty uphill because if Ayane is making mistakes, Genfu will just rape the shit out of her like she does to anyone else that makes mistakes.

What makes Genfu so strong against Ayane? He can effectively shut down her better tools with his high and mid parries. Moreso his mid parry, as he MUST be quite precise to parry her highs. His fastest mid at 11 frames, 6P, beats everything that isn't her jab. His throw 214T gives him good damage into +10 frame advantage into mix up.

His 236T gives him his 50/50 vortex into mix up. 3P is a powerful high crush, and it's lift stun can wreck any character, as it creates a nasty 50/50 in his favor. Either hold the 3PP follow up or get blown up by a throw or 4P+K into feint stun.

Genfu also does not have issues with range anymore, due to his new and improved (and awesome) 214P dash, and can also follow up with a mid punch. Semi-decent stun on hit, -4 on block and is distance safe. 66P (which is also his running P) is -5 on block and stuns on counter hit. 1P also has some range and hit's low, stuns on counter hit. His mid parries can catch something at range (if timed well) and bring her right back into CQC.

Genfu in general;

Like Ayane, Genfu also has solid stun > launch options. Any stun from a high or mid can lead into his 4P+K feint stun (also a feint stun on counter hit) that will lead into his 64P > 16P shoulder for solid damage. 64P is amazing for a crumple launcher in stun. 3PP crumple stun is extremely nasty, and if you do not stagger escape 3PP, the 33P follow ups are 100% guaranteed into guaranteed high damage. He has a 44P that guard breaks on block and guarantees a BT8P follow up for guaranteed damage.

Now, given all of this, it looks pretty grim for Ayane, for sure. However, this match up is still very winnable for her. I have gotten so comfortable in this match up after playing Sweet Revenge a lot while I was in NorCal. So I'll explain why I no longer view this match up as terrible, and only uphill.

Let's start with CQC (Close Quarters Combat). At the start of the round, Genfu can get in Ayane's face right away, most may feel like "I need to get away!", and panic. For me, it doesn't bother me because I already know both mine and Genfu's options for CQC (especially since I play both characters so well).

When you are playing Ayane, these are your rules you need to abide by with Genfu in CQC:

- Be patient as possible, do not let him put any fear into you just because he's close to you.
- Block, you cannot beat Genfu out anywhere unless frames are changing.
- Hold his mids so he'll know that you are paying attention.

Genfu can only poke you with his 3K string if he's conditioned you to block something. Because his 3K is a 14 frame mid kick, your highs and your mids will counter hit 3K.

I highly advise you to be patient (and in general) in this match up in CQC, because there are 4 things that you REALLY need to recognize in CQC from Genfu;

- His jab is -2 on normal hit AND on block. This actually makes a big difference because every other strike after this are two frames slower. This opens opportunities for your jab, your KK and your mids. And even though Genfu has his parries, he still has to guess which parry to nullify you with, or have a proper read on you.

- Block and just pay close attention to his block string pressure. PPP is -5, PPK is -10, PP2P and PP2K are both low throw punishable. 6PPP is low throw punishable but has incredibly long delays. Do not attempt to strike often under 6P pressure because these delays will counter hit you for either a lift stun (6PP) or crumple stun (6PPP). Just block because Genfu will have to try throwing you eventually. Throw attempts are what you want to counter hit, with either 4P or 4P+K, ideally.

- 3K will be just a 3K, 3KP, or 3KP6P/3KPPP. You want to hold the follow up to 3K, but Genfu knows this so it's a 50/50 on block that works for him. Because he can mix in his throw attempts too. But this is only effective depending on how the player is using 3K. Some will go full force, always finishing the string. Some, a smarter player, will keep you honest with it, with a mix of free cancelling, delay, and some times a full string. 3KPP guard breaks so it is used more often than 3KP6P (which is unsafe). 3KP6P will be used when your back is to a wall, some times.

- 44P guard breaks on block and guarantees a BT8P follow up into guaranteed damage (or his vortex on lighter characters). Launches on all hit status into guaranteed damage (or his vortex) if the 44PP is timed well. This move can be deceptively sneaky when it's mixed in on block, especially when Genfu is applying the vortex. This is probably the only move in CQC I've been more worried about because the rest doesn't actually matter while blocking.

Genfu's strings are very straight forward and unsafe (except for PPP). You block him correctly, then he will have to throw you, which is what you want him to do because you want to score your counter hit and get into Ayane's Comfort Zone (mid range). You should be blocking Genfu well, counter hit his throw attempts (if you can react to throw animations and are not guessing), stay wary that his jab is -2 on hit and block, hold him, and throw punishing his unsafety. If you allow Genfu to get away with unsafety, you are allowing him to win the match.

Proper throw punishment and counter hits will allow you to keep Genfu out. Making your jab pokes, P > BT8P and 6P jab crush counter hits really count will also allow you to score some offensive and a chance to keep Genfu out as well. Once you score a counter hit or a knock down somewhere, you can start your offense and make Genfu the defensive one here. You just have to be careful because you are still in his face and your offense needs to count, before he breaks it with 6P, 3P or a very well timed parry.

Let's talk Mid range battle. Now, in this area, Ayane can be very effective here as long as you aren't being careless and sloppy. Genfu still has a few tools to stop you if you are or you make a mistake somewhere. His parries will bring you right back into CQC and guarantee him follow ups into mix up if you aren't careful. But he HAS to be very precise with those parries to make them effective at range. His 66P and 214P will stop you as well if you get sloppy.

Ayane can keep anyone out when her tools are being applied well, this includes Genfu. BT2P, BT2K are very solid at keep away. So is P4P, infact all of her better range pokes and keep out tools work well here. But keep in mind that you do not HAVE to poke at opponents all the time. Applying good spacing/footsies can make anyone have a hard time getting in on you, especially when you are effectively forcing them to whiff something and make other mistakes.

You can effectively turtle against Genfu, OR, you can force him into a footsies war with you and try to make sure you are winning that war. To keep him on his toes. Because at this point, the player with the most patience is the one winning that war. But Ayane has the better range tools on her side, you just have to make sure to apply them properly.

After getting solid experience against Sweet Revenge, and myself understanding this character well, I have not had issues with any other Genfu in this match up. And I'm a little TOO comfortable in this match up now.

I still believe it to be 4-6 in Genfu's favor because his advantages do matter here, however, it is not super terrible. It is definiely winnable when you are paying attention.

Ayane vs Ein | 6-4
Ayane (i10/i13/i12) vs Ein (i10/i13/i13)

In DOA5U, Ayane has it easier against Ein than she did in previous titles. Ein's 6P+K is slower since it is his Critical Burst now. So his best ranged whiff punisher is not that great of a threat to her anymore (still is one, but not as bad as before). But let's not be fooled here, Ein is really good and well balanced. His low jab (2P) is +1 on neutral hit, so he becomes i9/i12/i12 after the +1. This is good advantage that favors him.

However, he doesn't really have anything to keep side step in check in CQC. Except for 4P/4PP and 236H+P offensive hold (catch throw). Fighting Ein up close as Ayane is more of a chore for him than it is an actual fight. Because he "needs" to be a bit more defensive than she does here. As his mix up in CQC is a bit dull.

Some things Ein can do up close to mix up with;

- P
- PP (and strings)
- PK (free cancel or delay but the follow up doesn't track)
- P > 3P
- P > 6K
- P > 2P
- P > 236H+P
- P > Throw (Universal tactic)
- 2P > 3P
- 2P > 6K
- 2P > 236H+P
- 9P (Hi crush)

His 3P is his i13 frame mid punch, and it is -4 on block. If it's blocked, anything else he decides to attack with is 4 frames slower, take advantage of this and make your offense happen. 3P has no follow ups. And it doesn't stun on neutral hit, only counter hit and in Critical stun. But when it does stun, it is a lift stun, so you are put into a lose lose situation. You cannot stagger out of 3P's stun fast enough to block anything or lower a follow up launch's launch height. So you will either take damage or you will have to guess with a hold.

3P in stun leads into a solid 50/50 mix up with 33H+P, 3P, 33K, or whatever else Ein decides he wants to do. Be afraid of it if you are in stun.

But also keep in mind that Ein's CQC is fairly limited to what's listed above, as far as speed is concerned. Both his side step attacks are throw punishable on block as well. SS P is i7 throw punishable, and SS K is low throw punishable. SS K is a low sweep, by the way.

Ayane has her usual options in CQC to deal with Ein, and he also does not have a fast high kick as she does to nullify sabaki or punch parries like she can. Ayane's 6P and 6K are better than his, as they have follow ups (6P having reliable follow ups), which will score her a mix up in stun or a knock down for her to play keep away or gain some offensive momentum.

Her low jab (2P) is also a frame faster than his and has a bit more range on it than his, and is a neutral (+0) on hit. But she can get a +1 from her low jab at tip range, which is sneaky (and awesome).

When things get at a distance, it's more about who has more patience. Because Ein's range game is actually fairly good, and he can legitimately punish Ayane if she's sloppy. One thing I want Ayane players to keep in mind here, is that in this match up, rolling in on Ein is considered death. Both his 6P+K and 4K (especially) will rape her in the ass, hard. DO NOT roll in on Ein in this match up, ever. I can't stress that enough, if you're rolling in at Ein and eating damage so often, then it's your own fault for making bad approaches.

You want to keep to our usual range tools here, and be more level headed about your footing. Ein has things like;

- 236P
- 46P (although this one is honestly the least of our worries, back spin ducks under highs)
- 6P+K
- 1KP (has 3 follow ups, but 1K itself is actually decent for it's range)
- H+K (tracks)

We have our huge arsensal of range tools at our disposal. And personally, once I have the life lead, I like to force Ein to come to me, so I will turtle and play very defensive because I find it a lot easier for me and more difficult for Ein to safely close distance against her.

This is just my preference, but it's a solid approach for the range game because you want Ein to get impatient. Plus, he doesn't have a lot in his arsenal for the range game. If you force him to come to you, he has to inch in patiently, run in and block to test you out, or make a risky approach through 1K, 6P+K or something else.

This match up was moreso a 5-5 in DOA4, and possibly previous titles. Now? 6-4 in Ayane's favor. Side step made his better tools linear, his range game is solid but Ayane still outshines him in the range game (when you are not trying to roll in at him). He's not much of a problem in CQC. Ein will pounce on Ayane if she's not paying attention and is fighting him sloppy. But if she is on point, he's not that hard for her. Patience is the key to keep the fight favorable for her.

Ayane vs Kokoro | 6-4
Ayane (i10/i13/i12) vs Kokoro (i10/i12/i13)

Before, I stated that this match up was uphill for Ayane. After gaining a lot more experience in the match up, I no longer believe it is uphill. It is rather more favorable for Ayane than it is for Kokoro.

Ayane has a lot of variety in her CQC arsenal;

- P (Jab cancel mix ups)
- PP (and strings)
- P4P (Safe)
- 6P (crushes jabs at initial frames and has follow ups)
- 6K (has a delayable low sweep)
- 2P
- K/KK (Rapes sabakis and special punch parries)
- 8K (hi crush)
- 4P (hi crush)
- 1P (hi crush)
- BT PP (and strings)
- BT 2P

Kokoro has very good string variety that include lows mid string, and throws at the end of some strings to keep side step attempts in check. Her strings are indeed good, but better strings like 1KK have been toned down, as in, it has gotten slower for the mid kick follow up. Kokoro can only really open Ayane up through her mids (ideally 6P) and her lows. Because Ayane has 8K and 4P to deal with highs (not to say that Kokoro cannot use her highs or jabs in the match up, but if she expects to do it often, Ayane gets easy damage). Ayane's 2P blows up Kokoro's low game, but it loses out to Kokoro's 6P (obviously, since it is a damaging mid of the same frame as the low).

Kokoro's throw attempts from her strings and her side step can be counter hit on reaction once you start recognizing what they look like. Take her to the lab and just mess with her strings that lead into her throw options, and set the A.I. to her doing these strings. Some practice there will make the difference of just guessing and reacting.

Keep this bit in mind;

To add to this, you can interrupt Heichu option selects with Ayane's low jab (2P) as well (other chararcters with a i12 or i11 mid can interrupt Heichu option selects as well). You are only going to fear Heichu when you are in Critical stun because you actually have to guess. Kokoro has a new sabaki that is made to sabaki mid punches, specifically. However, the active window for it is small, and it doesn't actually mean anything to Ayane because she has her K and 6K kicks (sabakis and punch parries mean very little to Ayane).

Ayane has a good time dealing with Kokoro in CQC, but she has a better time keep her out at a distance.

Let's not be ignorant here, Kokoro is actually pretty good at a distance too. 66P is really good, 214P is good for whiff punishment. She also has 1KK, 1P, 46PP, and P+K. Kokoro's 1KK in general is actually very legit as a means of getting in. And 1KK4K ends with a mid kick, and is safe on block. But keep this in mind, 1K, 1KK, and 1KK4K are linear. Her only tracking move from 1KK is 1KKK, which ends with a high kick, and it's -7 on block.

1P is a low punch, followed by a high (1PP), into a mid (1PP6P) or a low (1PPP). Or 1PH+P, which is a throw. Either way, you DO NOT ever have to respect 1P's follow ups, if you see Kokoro going for 1PP or 1PH+P, just hi crush her with 4P, 8K, 1P or 2P.

Her P+K is +1 on block, and is a high punch.

46PP starts high and ends with a mid punch. It's range is pretty deceptive, but linear. All of these options I listed are linear.

The nerf to her 6P+KP also did a number on her brain dead rush down. Since it no longer stuns on neutral hit. But she doesn't have nearly enough to scare Ayane from not wanting to do anything while keeping Kokoro off her, either. All of Kokoro's options to get in or "rush in" with are linear (means you can side step them).

Ayane has;

- 3P
- P4P
- 3H+K
- BT P
- BT PP
- BT PP6KK4
- BT 4P+KP (delay or free cancel the follow up to keep players in check)
- BT4H+K
- BT 6P
- BT 2K
- BT 2P
- BT 6K
- [1]P+K P (guard breaks)
- 1P+K K (whiff punishment and is safe on block at all ranges)

-- to keep Kokoro in check, to keep her out, and to whiff punish her with. All Kokoro can really do to a competent Ayane at range is punish her if she gets sloppy somewhere and whiff punish any badly place whiffs (as you would with any character in any match up).

I believe this match up is 6-4 in Ayane's favor. Both characters can dish out a lot of damage, and once Kokoro stuns you, she can mix up well for the Critical Burst or her combo throw or launch for big damage. Ayane can dish out the same damage just through stun > launch. And Ayane's 214H+P will do 99 damage on hi counter, and about 109 on hi counter with a wall.

Kokoro has been nerfed a bit in this game, and it has hurt her a bit in this match up. While Ayane has actually gotten better in this game than she was in Vanilla.

Last edited:

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Ayane vs Kasumi | 5-5

Ayane vs Hayate | 5-5

Hayate is i10/i12/i14 (High/Mid/Low)

His jab is -1 on neutral hit and -2 on block, and his 2P low is +0 on neutral hit. In CQC, his bigger threats in this match up are his 6P and 8P+KP/2P+KP. 6P is his only i12 frame mid, however, but 8P+K is his special step that gets around linearity and can punish it with the mid punch follow up for a stun (mindful Hayate players will use this step correctly though). So Ayane's neutral K plays a factor in this match up for two reasons; it stops his 8P+K step and counter hits his 6P, essentially killing two birds with one stone.

Once you make Hayate realize you have that option select in neutral CQC, the Hayate player may resort to jabs (and strings), 1P (hi crush), 1K (hi crush), or more 2P usage to shake things up. If this is to happen, take this as an opportunity to see where Hayate's next retaliation is going to be, and how often it'll be.

1P is +16 on counter hit, but -7 on neutral hit. If it hits on neutral, you have lots of retaliation at your disposal, 66KK4 becomes a thing after that -7 on free cancel. But 1P has follow ups, 1PP (low P/mid P) and 1PK (low P/low K).

1K is a single mid kick strike that has crouching properties, so Hayate is going underneath highs, so it is a hi crush. +3 on neutral hit, so do not strike retaliate after that hit confirm. +23 on counter hit and threshold.

Hayate's strings are just decent on block for delay and free cancel. IMO his best two are PP6[P] and PP2KP. PP6[P] is a guard break and leaves him at +3, he also has PPP[P] and has the same guard break for the +3 so be mindful for full string into guard break. Once you're used to seeing that guard break animation often, you can strike retaliate on reaction, however.

PP2KP has a solid delay after the PP2K, it's pretty hard to tell if Hayate is going to do the mid punch or a throw, the low sweep is not that difficult to see though (although you're probably going to get hit with it online anyway). He can cancel into the wind dash as well by doing PP2K6P+K, but once you're used to seeing it, you can 4P him on reaction.

Here's Hayate's P and PP strings so no one's in the dark about them.

On block;

PPPP is -11 (HHMM)
PPP[P] is +3 (HHMM)
PP6PP is -11 (HHMM)
PP6PK is -7(HHMM)
PP6[P] is +3(HHM)
PP6[P]66 is -42 (HH) in neutral, not good on block at all. Only during okizeme and threshold mix up. You can BT6P him if he does it on block.
PPP[P]66 is the same deal as PP6[P]66. (HHM)

PP2K2K is -15 (HHLL)
PP2KP is -11 (HHLM)
PKK is -13 (HHH) and you can strike retaliate with a low inbetween it.
PPKK is -4 (HHHM) but has does not jail at all, so you can hold the high kick or mid kick ender.

Hayate at range is the where the fight actually is, if I'm to be honest. Ayane can fight Hayate at range very well, and so can he. But Ayane has a little more than he does for range. The wide array of Integrated Movement and other certain tools make things difficult for him to approach. Smart use of Haijin Dash/fients and spins will always make it difficult for anyone to get in. But for Hayate, he is looking for a reason to utilize the following;

66P, 3H+K, 214P, 236P, 236K, and 3K.

66P is very self-explanatory, it's what he has to go in with head on and the damage on it is solid (25). 66P has follow ups as well, 66PP can be done or it can be charged for +3 on block (something I was caught off guard by against Shade Swifteye at SCR earlier this year). 66P2K goes into a low sweep. 66PK goes into a mid kick, unsafe it blocked.

3H+K is always another Bread n' Butter ranged get in tool for Hayate since it's so easy to put on the screen. Has a low sweep follow up, but the mid punch shoulder cannot be held if the low sweep is hit confirmed, so it is a natural combo. 3H+K has no delayable frames into the low sweep, however, so if Hayate free cancels, you can low throw him on reaction.

3K is i14 frames and does 25 damage, it's also +1 on neutral hit but -3 on block, ideal at close-mid range.

236K is a high kick that's solid for whiff punishment and a get in tool at the amount of distance. +1 on block as well

236P is his best whiff punishment, 40 damage and knock down.

214P is there to catch your sloppy footwork.

My personal favorites for Hayate at range however, are his PP6[P] and 9P[P]. Both are solid at their respect ranges for knockdown or +3 guard break. So if Hayate is jabbing or doing 9P at ranges, beware of the strike range. Not a lot of Hayate players use these two this way though.

Hayate can feint with his wind dash as well but he really has to range that out correctly, otherwise he can get slapped for it.

The fight at range is basically going to be a question of how well you can keep Hayate out, and how well you can maintain the neutral game at range. Ayane's K can stuff a lot of his high and mid strike approaches, due to i12 frame speed and that 27 neutral damage (something I didn't utilize very well at SCR vs Shade but I've reviewed those sets and am completely aware of how solid it is in this match up). But in order to do that, you have to be pretty masterful with neutral K at range because it does leave your back exposed. Awful whiffing gets you whiff punished, 3H+K can do the same thing.

K, K(delay)K, 3K, 3K(delay)K, 3P, BTPP, BTPK, BT2P, BT2K, BT6K, BT3K/BT3KK, BT4H+K, PPK, PPK(delay)K, PP6P, 6PK, 2P and occasional (but well ranged) 66KK4 are all the tools you'll be utilizing at range in this match up. But you have to pick and choose which is best against said player and the situation.

Your whiff punishment never changes, it's going to be the usual 4K, 236K, BT6P, 3H+K, 1P+K K, 1P+K P, etc. Whenever Hayate makes a bad whiff, punish it, you want to do your best not to let bad whiffs slip by because you want every opportunity to do damage.

Summary; P > BT8P is always your best friend in any match up. Do not let Hayate control the CQC with his 6P, if he jab retaliates a lot, make good use of your hi crushes. Be careful at range, Ayane may have a little more than Hayate but that does not imply you can be reckless or get sloppy. Stay patient, punish his mistakes while ensuring you keep your own to a minimum. Do not let him utilize his throws a lot, or you'll lose.

All in all, it is a pretty fair match up.

Tenryuga's bit;
Use K/KK in both range and CQC. Unless the Hayate player is striking with faster pokes or crushes in CQC or is making a preemptive strike at range K/KK will almost always result in a counterhit when he tries something. Especially 66P or 3H+K.

In close range if you use K Hayate has to respect you because you make it harder to use his fastest and most reliable CH stun: 6P. His CQC composes of P strings, 6P and 2P. Hayate will not 3K you in CQC until he picks up advantage due to its speed.

Another thing to note is everything Hayate does in CQC must be committed to. His 6P is -12 on block, and all his P strings other than P and PP are massively disadvantageous on block. All of this means he is not capable of much free cancel offense into strikes. He will more often try to tick throw you when cancelling his P strings because his throws grant him great rewards and are well worth the risk.

Also make sure that when Hayate does 6PK you neutral throw or respond with a strike preferably a tracking mid strike. Keep high damaging throws available but don't use them often. Even if your neutral throw gets broken you indicate to the Hayate player that he has to be prepared to break neutral grabs in addition to other forms of defense.

If you only respond specific types (keyword types and not type) of ways (Neutral throwing 24/7, 7i grabbing 24/7, tracking mids 24/7, linear pokes 24/7 etc) to Hayate's -7 he has ways to blow you up for that and turn what should clearly be a disadvantageous situation into an advantageous one. So mix up all of your retaliation options when he does this. This is just general anti-Hayate information.

EDIT: One last thing. Be careful with mid holds in this MU. CH 6P into Hi counter Nakiryu is 43% damage exactly. So yeah watch out.

That's all I have for you. I'll leave the strategy guide to Hajin lolol.

Ayane vs Ryu Hayabusa | 5-5

Ayane vs Momiji | 5-5

Ayane (i10/i13/i12) vs. Momiji (i10/i12/i12)

Some ninja-on-ninja action! (Well ninja-on-shrine maiden) Similar to the Hayate MU, the Momiji MU will be mostly fought around mid-long range due to both characters excellent ranged attacks and pokes. Another similarity is that these characters also have excellent options in close too.

Here's a rundown of what Momiji may be using in close

P = i10/ -2 on block
-> PP = ~i8/ -6 on block
KK = i12/ -6 on block (Very delayable)
H+K = i12/ -7 on block (Tracking, Unsafe)
6P = i12/ -12 on block
-> 6PK = ~i16/ - 14 on block (Very delayable, Tech jump)
-> 6PP = ~i22/ -11 on block (Very delayable, Unsafe)
3K = i14/ -8 on block
-> 3KP = ~i17/ -11 on block (Very delayable, Tracking)
4P = i14/ -5 on block (Tracking)
2P = i12/ -5 on block
1P = i17/ -10 on block (Tracking)
-> 1PP = ~i22/ -13 on block (Tracking, Unsafe)
-> 1P2K = ~i23/ -15 on block (Very delayable, Tracking, Unsafe)
3P = i13/ -9 on block
-> 3PP = ~i20/ -3 on block (Very delayable)
7K = i12/ -14 on block (-11 on block at tip, Tech jump)

In close range, Momiji has a very slight advantage thanks to her i12 Mid P. It also helps that she has an i12 Low P and an i12 tracking high like Ayane does (Though Ayane's KK is stronger than Momiji's H+K). As a result you're going to be using P's, 2P's and KK's in this MU regularly from neutral. Punish any 6PP's and use Ayane's Expert Mid P Holds to discourage use of Momiji's 6P so that you can attempt to use your own 6P's (and 6K's) mids in return. Generally close range combat isn't a problem but it's a good rule of thumb to be mindful of the i12 mids 6P & 7K. PP8 & 3KP8 shenanigans can also be a nuisance though PP8~ free cancel and PP8P~ tend to be more common than PP8K (Since that leads into the Tenku Double Jump that is easy to deal with on block if you can fuzzy). PP8P, PP8PP PP8PK are all unsafe with the first two strings ending in High P's (The third string ender is a Mid K launcher). Along with PP8, 3KP8, etc., take heed of 9P random single jumps. I usually just block single or double jump attempts and try to spot a free cancel or a throw attempt (9P~Free cancel~Throw is very good). Momiji's 2P is also +0 on NH like Ayane's 2P but has slightly less range.

Momiji at Mid Range

KK = i12/ -6 on block (Very delayable)
3K = i14/ -8 on block
-> 3KP = ~i17/ -11 on block (Very delayable, Tracking)
4K = i15/ -5 on block
2H+K = i23/ -14 on block (-13 on block at tip, Tracking, Unsafe in close)
44K = i18/ -3 on block
66P = i15/ -5 on block, follow-up is -12 on block (Throw 66PP on block please!)

Majority of Momiji's ranged pokes are safe on block (actually most of the shit she has is safe on block) so don't bother trying to throw punish anything unless the player plays like a random online Momiji that just chuck out 66PP or 66K (In that case throw them to your heart's content!). Try to stay just out of Momiji's poke range and attempt to whiff punish her with 3PP, 4K, 3H+K. You could try 4H+K or 236K (if there is an environmental impact near such as a cliff knockdown) if you're feeling frisky but I don't recommend it regularly.

Momiji at Long Range

66P = i15/ -5 on block
Running H+K = i20/+1 on block

At range, Momiji's love to use Running H+K to get in for the +1 frame advantage. Thwart this with a nice high-crush such as 4P or 1P~. For 66P you'll have to be more careful but just blocking it is fine for the most part (There's also Ayane's Expert Mid P hold to discourage 66P or 66PP). Watch out also for random 9P's too.

Some of Momiji's Whiff Punishers

66PP (Tracking)
6H+K
236P (Tracking)
9K (Safe)

Beware of these moves on CH because you're going for a ride if hit. Most are throw punishable and 9K is a high. Make sure that Ayane is the one doing the punishing ;). For dealing with Tenku stance, it's best to try and fuzzy guard the options on block (unless you know what the opponent may attempt reducing it to a 50/50). On hit, SE helps to create distance between you and the opponent.

The Ayane/Momiji MU is interesting because both characters excel at all ranges. Overall I'd say it's 5:5, though some people may think it's 6:4 in Ayane's favour due to her superior crushes, mix-ups and ranged tools. However, Momiji's safety, awesome pokes and good whiff punishers equalize the MU. Discouraging Momiji's 6P in close, making her range pokes whiff and punishing any unsafety or sloppiness is the key to victory.

HajinShinobi's bit;

A few things; Momiji's H+K and 2K are solid as close-mid range pokes and keepout tools. H+K's range is deadly and is i12 like her K. Infact K is much more inferior as a range poke than H+K (inferior at tip ranges). H+K is a tracking high, is semi-safe due to fuzzy guard and range safe at -6 (and -5). Damage is overall better than her K as well, K is 24, H+K is 28.

Momiji's 2K is really good at i14 frames for a single low poke. Stuns on counter hit, and it's range is very good for just a generic low kick. I hit everyone with this because no one expects it to be utilized as a range poke. Clipping people at it's range or whiffing it barely outside of it's hittable range makes players weary of it being there.

Momiji's 6P+K and PP6P are very good for the same reasons that her 2K is. 6P+K is an i14 high with decent short range, and stuns on neutral hit, also safe at -3.

Momiji also has an instant high crush, 8P. Stuns on neutral hit, launchers on counter hit and threshold. Unsafe (throw punishable) if blocked.

You should mention that Momiji's 2P is +0 on neutral hit as well.

Just a few things you left out. Write up is good though. Match up is definitely a 5-5

Ayane vs Ayane (Mirror Match) | 5-5

Last edited:

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Ayane vs Eliot | 6-4

Ayane vs Brad Wong | 6-4

Ayane (i10/i13/i12) vs. Brad Wong (i12/i15/i14)

The match-up of two of the best mix-up characters, with two of the largest most complex movesets in 5U. Overall, I'd say that Brad's mix-up options are a little more prolific than Ayane's but, he's also limited by his current stance, in terms of what options are available to him.

For instance, when he's in Handstand Stance he has these moves available:

K - i11 Mid K's (can be followed up, up to "KKKK" or transition into Laydown with KK6K for eg.) (Safe on block)
P - i16 Low P that transitions into Laydown (-12 on block)
P+K i13 Mid K launcher (-11 on block)
H+K i21 Mid K stunner (Gut in CS, Limbo in OS) (Safe on block)
H+P i11 High Grab

When Brad enters Handstand, you can jab him out of it immediately with a P or if you're swift you can try a 2P although the HS K's can technically beat it out. In general you either want to be really close to Brad or out of his HS H+K range when Brad enters Handstand. At range, you can nail him with 1P+KK, 9K or 236K to knock him out of HS. When he enters the stance, and he has the advantage, prioritize Mid K Hold since all the dangerous options are Mid K's.

Brad's options from Laydown Stance:

P - i35 High P that cause a Faint Stun (Safe on block)
K - i16 Mid K launcher (-12 on block)
6K - i33 Mid K launcher (-11 on block)
H+K i20 Low K that stays in LS (-15 on block)
P+K i23 Mid K that stays in LS (-9 on block)
H~K i67 Mid K that pops Brad up (-6 on block)
H+P i17 OH

Moves from Reverse Laydown Stance (Heads towards opponent)
*Most moves are variants on the moves from normal LS

P - i23 Mid P (Safe on block)
K - i16 Mid K (-10 on block)
6K - i38 Low K (-9 on block)
P+K - i21 Mid K launcher (-11 on block)
H+K - i25 Low K (-16 on block)
H+P - i15 OH
H - i20 Low parry

When Brad goes into Laydown stance, it's essentially a 50/50 between a Mid K hold or some crouching action you'll have to take such as a Low throw to beat out the OH (or toss him out of LS outright), or a low block or low hold to beat H+K. If he transitions into LS off of 236P or Running P, 4P immediately to knock him out of LS, and beware that he can parry lows such as 2P or 1P in Reverse Laydown Stance (RLS). He can also "Sidestep" LS to avoid linear lows such as 2P. Naturally LS is a "Super tech crouch" stance so it can crush horizontal mids, heavily reducing the effective moves against it. However Ayane's 4P can rape the stance in close. At range, use 9K to smash on Brad's laying down ass. You can also try 3PP if Brad is in LS at a little bit of range, since the 2nd P has similar properties to 4P (note that 4P always launches Brad for a low juggle when hitting LS).

Brad's options from Backturned Stance:

P - i15 High P with followups
K - i18 High K (+2 on block)
H+K - i13 Mid K (-33 on block, big pushback)
P+K - i13 High P (Safe on block)
2K - i20 Low K that transitions into LS (-15 on block)
2P - i12 Low P (-12 on block & -11 on Normal hit; has a Low K & Mid K followup)
H+P - i6 Grab (can reset his opponent for +12 or blast them away)
6P+KP - i17 Mid P's (Safe on block)
4K - i16 Mid K (-12 on block)
6K - i15 Mid K with followups including a -12 on block Low ender
4PP - i15 Mid P's (Safe on block)

When Brad is in Backturned Stance, your best bet is to prioritize crouching since the quicker moves are highs, and his BT 2P is deceptively fast and has priority over Ayane's own fast 2P. If you block 2P, be sure to be mindful of the two followups: A low K that rolls away and a Mid K that is unsafe on block and punishable by low throw. Brad can use H+K to try and interrupt your attempt at offense and "roll" away. Just block this move and use the advantage to position your self better. Beware of BT 4PP's sitdown on hit. The move is also only -6 on block. BT H+P is one of Brad's most dangerous grabs, due to its ability to reset his opponent and grant him +12 while remaining in BT stance. In fact Brad has a few "Reset grabs"

BT H+P - Grants +12 @i6
64 H+P - Grants +11 @i10
Behind H+P - Grants +8 @i5

If you get hit by 64 H+P, you may need to crouch immediately or mash out something like PP to avoid getting reset again by Behind H+P. A big part of Brad's gameplan is to mix-up his opponent, then reset them when they get flustered. Try to keep this reset momentum from building.

At R1F, Brad can hold his own deceptively well due to the many stances he can enter before the round starts. From neutral Brad's technically a i12/i15/i14, but at R1F Brad can gain access to his faster moves. Let's recap: In HS, Brad gains an i11 Mid K; In LS he gains an OH and a Mid K launcher with a lot of hit priority, and in BT stance he gains an i12 Low P and an i13 Mid K "interrupter". If Brad is in HS, jab immediately. If Brad is in LS, 2P immediately or back away (preferable). If Brad is in BT, prioritize BT 2P by low blocking or holding.

When in doubt, try to play a ranged game with Brad, because he'll need to get creative with how he approaches Ayane. He'll likely try 236P, Running P, or 66K (ranged Low K). He likely won't try 236P from mid range or closer so look out for 66K, since that's usually a go to choice for opening up the opponent. By and large, Ayane beats out Brad at range, but he can still mix-up you up if he's at the right range. Watch out for his crane stance because it contains moves with good priority such as H+KPP/H+KK and an OH. If he enters CS from close range, jab immediately or 2P, since his fastest attack is i12. CS 4K is also quite fast at i13. Just like with HS, either stay very close to Brad or out of the CS H+K~~~ range. Most attacks in CS are safe on block.

Brad's options in Crane Stance

P - i12 High P
K - i15 High K
H+KPP - i41 Mid K followed by two Mid Ps
H+KK - i41 Mid K followed by a High K
H+P - i19 OH
4K - i13 Mid K
P+K - i19 Mid P launcher
6P - i16 Mid P with followups
66P - i20 Mid P CB

The optimal range to fight Brad at is around Mid range or slightly further away to reduce the effectiveness of his mix-up game. When in close, from neutral, Ayane pokes much faster than Brad, however he has numerous ways to deal with faster characters in close such as 4P for crushing highs, 4P2 or(8) for crushing highs and sidestepping and of course Laydown Stance for heavily reducing an opponent's offensive options. You're not going to be using 3H+K as much in this MU as others, but 4P, 2P, 1P & 3PP can work wonders for knocking Brad out of stances and keeping his BS in check.

In DOA4 Brad struggled against Ayane, but in DOA5 Brad is a solid character with dangerous mix-ups and resets. However, Ayane is still arguably one Brad's worst MU's so I reckon this MU is 6-4 in Ayane's favour due to how well Ayane can zone Brad, her quicker overall poking speed, and her proficiency in knocking Brad out of his stances. Beating Brad is based almost entirely on knowing how to deal with his stances and punishing unsafe transitions & moves.

Nanhou's bit on a few of Brad's options;
Just to note. For his grab its 4 H+P. And from there BT H+P is guaranteed. But he can still go for his old options being 9K into a force tech PP2K or a juggle which then creates some distance if he chooses to go for H+K as the ender instead of 2PK. Also to note. If he's in LHT after running P. Your best option imo is to probably 6PK since its quick and deals with his LHT 8. On top of that with 3PP or 4P he can use his low parry (LHT H) to negate the stun since he's technically in standing position letting himself get hit on NH abd then punishing accordingly. Just some things to note Force. Other than that great write up.

Ayane vs Hitomi | 5-5

Ayane vs Leifang | 5-5

Ayane (i10/i13/i12) vs. Leifang (i10/i12/i15)

The two arguably best defensive characters go head to head here! The essence of this MU for both characters is based around finding a way to make your opponent scared to attempt to attack you through utilization of their defensive options. For Ayane that involves intimidation through zoning her opponent out with proper spacing, and for Leifang that involves intimidation through implementation of her strong Expert Holds, parries and crushes.

Here's an overview of her Defensive Hold techniques

High P Hold = 65 dmg (97 dmg on HiCH)
Expert High P Hold = 75 dmg (112 dmg on HiCH, Strong knockback)
High K Hold = 65 dmg (97 dmg on HiCH)
Expert High K Hold = 75 dmg (112 dmg on HiCH)
Mid P Hold = 65 dmg (97 dmg on HiCH)
Expert Mid P Hold = 70 dmg (104 dmg on HiCH)
Mid K Hold = +15 advantage + BT
Expert Mid K Hold = 20 dmg, +15 advantage + BT (30 dmg on HiCH)
Low P Hold = 65 dmg (97 dmg on HiCH)
Expert Low P Hold = 75 dmg (112 dmg on HiCH, Strong knockback)
Low K Hold = 65 dmg (97 dmg on HiCH)
Expert Low K Hold = 75 dmg (112 dmg on HiCH)

High & Mid Parries = +16 advantage

Leifang's holds are very strong especially if she is utilizing her Expert Holds often. Her Expert Mid K is likely the most devastating with the capability to lead into 100+ dmg combos with good wall carry. And most Leifang players just love to toss out this hold (and you'll quickly realize why once you get hit by it)! As a result you'll have to be careful with when you toss out Mid K's against Leifang, i.e. those oh-so-tempting CH BT6K and BT4H+K setups for example may need to get replaced or you may be in for a world of hurt. Be careful with Mid P's when Leifang has her back to a wall because both of her Walled Mid P & Expert Mid P holds are brutal, especially to dangerzones. Her Expert High P Hold can also smash you into walls. Be wary of using Low P's predictably when Ayane has her back to a wall or edge since the Expert Low P Hold can knock you back a fair distance. Leifang will also attempt to maintain the advantage on you from neutral or slight disadvantage by utilizing her High and Mid parries. To try and discourage parry and expert hold attempts, I tend to throw her more often than other characters for juicy Hi-counter damage.

Leifang's Offensive Hold techniques

66T = i16/40 dmg (Walled version = 50 dmg plus slump down status)
236T~4T~66T = i20/90 dmg (Breakable)
236T~4T~46T = i20/85 dmg (Breakable, Strong knockback)
3T = i10/50 dmg (Decent knockback, Low OH)

Leifang's R1F strikes

Fastest initial strikes:

P = i10/ -5 on block/ -3 on hit/ 10 dmg (High P)
6P = i12/ -12 on block/ -8 on hit/ 17 dmg (Mid P)
K = i11/ -14 on block/ -3 on hit/ 22 dmg (High K)
4K = i12/ -14 on block/ +3 on hit/ 20 dmg (Tracking High K)
3K = i13/ -10 on block/ -7 on hit/ 22 dmg (Mid K)
2P = i15/ -4 on block/ +0 on hit/ 5 dmg (Low P)
2K = i15/ -9 on block/ -3 on hit/ 10 dmg (Low K)

Strings off of Fastest strikes:

P
PPP (HHH)
PPP4 (HHH~Punch Parry)
PP6PP (HHMM) (Tracking)
PP6P4 (HHM~Punch Parry)
PP6PK (HHM(M/H))
PP4P (HHM)
PPKK (HHHH) (Tracking)
PPK2K (HHHM) (Tracking)
PPKH+K (HHHM)
PP2K (HHL)
P2PP (HMM)
P2P2K (HML)
P2PP+K (HMM)
PKK2K (HHML) (Tracking)

6P
6PP (MM)
6P4 (M~Punch Parry)
6PK6P (M(M/H)M)

K
KK (HH) (Tracking)
K2K (HM) (Tracking)
KH+K (HM)

4KK2K (HML) (Tracking)

3KP+K (MM)

Once Leifang has you playing defensively, she's naturally going to try and open you up. She has great OH's including the very fast 66T, that can set up a wall-resetting slump down status, the i20 236T combo hold that can get big damage if either sequence is completed and the i10 3T for catching crouching statuses such as Ayane's twirls. Anytime you suspect an OH attempt, immediately crouch or throw her. Her 236T is breakable, but 66T can catch you easily especially on wake-up or when Ayane has her back to a wall. Don't let Leifang abuse 66T!

Leifang also has many strings off of her P, with PP2K & P2P2K being the most likely ones to be used to open you up thanks to the tricky low sweep off them. 1KK also leads to the same sweep and it is a good idea to get acquainted with it to be able to block or low hold it on reaction (including raw 2H+K's). PKK2K and 4KK2K also end in low sweeps and can throw you off easily but the kicks go in a more predicable "High-Mid-Low" sequence. The trick is to not crouch too earlier after the high sweep or the mid sweep will nail you (which definitely happens because of the instinctual nature to duck after she crouches down to perform the mid sweep :().

Overall, for R1F Leifang has the advantage thanks to having an i12 Mid P and an i13 Mid K that will beat out Ayane's mids at neutral thanks to it dishing out 22 dmg (Ayane's i13 6P deals 18 dmg and her i13 6K deals 20 dmg). Ayane's 6P used to trade in earlier editions when it was 22 dmg but unfortunately got nerfed to 18 dmg. Leifang is also one of about only 3 characters that possesses an i11 neutral 5K (Genfu and Kasumi are the others). As with other i12 mid strikers, Ayane's KK will be your main deterent to the use of 6P or 3K in neutral thanks to it's i12 speed and hefty 27 dmg for the initial kick. KK will also counteract punch parry attempts off of Leifang's 4P+K's (or strings that end in it such as PPP4). A strategy she may employ is to try and throw you off with strike FC's that can transition into the punch parry to maintain the advantage on you. KK, 2P or throw these parry attempts. On a different note, quite a bit of Leifang's strings are side-steppable. See how you can implement SS!

Generally you'll have to be a little cautious in R1F against Leifang due to her solid high & mid strike speeds (I.e. you'll need to use 5P's & 2P's to discourage 5K attempts along with sidesteps, and throws and KK's to discourage punch parry and sidestep attempts). Take note also that Leifang's lows are slow with 2P & 2K being i15. Some of her lows can be tricky such as the ones that end in the "2H+K" sweep, but by and large they're fairly slow. Ayane's 2P stuffs her lows when necessary.

Some of Leifang's options at Mid-Range to Long-Range

6H+K (Safe)
66KK (Unsafe for each strike)
4KK2K (Unsafe for each strike)
H+K (Safe)
66P (Semi-safe)
1KK/1KP4 (Unsafe for each strike, 1KP -8 on block)
PP2K (Unsafe)
1P+K (Safe, +5 Advantage GB when fully charged, Strong knockback)

By and large Leifang struggles at range against Ayane, though she's not impotent at this distance either. This is the range that you want to fight Leifang at. She can utilize her defensive techniques and OH's much more effectively in close range so keeping her out should be your goal. Despite having a brutal Expert Mid K Hold, Leifang hates Ayane's 3H+K. This move keeps her out and puts pressure on her attempts to get in. You want to keep her out as much as possible. If Leifang has the advantage such as on wake-up, she may attempt 6H+K (which is no longer a GB but not unsafe) or a run-up 66T. She may poke with 4KK, 1KP or try and sneak in a low with PP2K. H+K will whiff punish you for a CH bounce combo along with 1P+K, which causes a strong knockback on hit. 66KK is used to intercept some of Ayane's attacks through deceptive crushing. Straight-up, I hate 66K or 66KK. It's unsafe, but still, ugh. Crushes more shit than you may think...

Leifang's Infamous Mid-Crushes

66KK = i18/ -15 on block/ +33 on NH & Launch (Mid K x2)
1PP = i17/ -11 on block/ +0 on NH (Mid P x2)
3P+K = i18/ -14 on block BT'ed/ Launch on NH (Mid P, Unholdable)

Ah, the bullshit that aids in Leifang's ascent into high tier! Screw her holds and parries, these attacks all have one main thing in common, they all crush horizontal mids like 3H+K :mad:! Ayane gets shit for her "mid-crushes" but Leifang's are at least just as troublesome. On the bright side, they're all unsafe on block. If you can, try to bait these moves out and punish whenever you can to discourage future use. 3P+K is left BT'ed when blocked and is strike punishable. You will have a rough time with this MU if you let Leifang abuse her crushes. Also please punish 46P whenever you block it (-10). It's 13 frames of bullshit :(.

Defense is the best offense. Leifang's strengths are defense but when she smells blood, she can run a lot of shit on you and you may not even know what just happened. OH's, parries, expert holds, FC pokes, crushes, all things to account for in this MU (along with a mean 64P in stun!). I reckon that this MU is 5:5. Both characters are very dangerous when they are in the zone. Range is your best friend in this MU. You need to make it hard for Leifang to use her dangerous tools on you and keeping her out is key. As soon as you stop controlling space, it becomes Leifang's fight for the taking. Stand your ground!

HajinShinobi's bit;

I want to add to this match up, that every Unshu (sabaki stance) transition Leifang has loses to kicks. So, the definite answer to that sabaki stance is our 4K. 4K will counter hit the stance for free (on reaction) and reward us a sitdown stun for guaranteed damage, whether it is used in neutral or on block. Unshu is only something to be a little more wary of when you're put in threshold.

Ayane vs Jannlee | 6-4

Last edited:

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Ayane vs Bass | 5-5

Ayane vs Tina | 6-4

Ayane vs Bayman | 6-4

Ayane vs Leon | 6-4

Ayane vs La Mariposa (Lisa) | 5-5

Last edited:

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Ayane vs Akira | 5-5

Ayane vs Jacky | 6-4

Ayane vs Pai | 5-5

Ayane vs Sarah | 6-4

Sarah; i10/i11/i12 (High/Mid/Low)

What makes her very dangerous in CQC are the many ways she can set up frame traps to keep up her pressure on block. Her jab is +1 on block, so never strike retaliate after blocking it unless you know Sarah is going to throw you. Otherwise the usual P > 6P frame trap (or the very sneaky P < 44P frame trap) is just going to counter hit you, but if you know Sarah will do that, then hold the 6P mid punch (however that is difficult to hold online). Her 2P is +0 on neutral hit as well, and is i12 frames

Also, her P > Neutral throw tick throw set up is unseeable, her neutral throw is coming out at i4 frames because of the +1 from the jab. So you're either guessing or you have a good read on the Sarah player to strike that.

On block;

P = +1
P+K = +1
3PK = +3
4K = +3
8K = +2
4P+K = +3
PPP6 = +2
33H+KK = +4 (Guard break)

--are a few things to keep a lookout for on block. 3PK are all highs, so you'll have to get used to their strike animations in order to crush it in time, or on reaction. 4K, 8K, and 4P+K are all mid kicks, so is P+K but it is also a high/mid strike sabaki after initial start up of P+K, and it tracks. 33H+KK is a high kick to mid kick, the mid tracks and guard breaks, leaving Sarah at +4. PPP6 is +2 on neutral hit and on block for her, and it can also go into a sabaki if she moves backward after the dash, which will sabaki both high and mid punches.

This kind of sabaki loses to kicks though, so I would either just do 4K or KK if I know Sarah will use that sabaki after dashing. But another good way to make Sarah very manageable is to make yourself familiar with her string variation. Often times that's what throw players off, because they don't know her strings very well, so she'll seem very overwhelming. Sarah has lots of ways to open you up, and if you don't know her strings, it's hard to block her.

Learn her string variants, and remember where her + frames are on block, and be patient in CQC. Make use of Ayane's hi crushes if you've realized Sarah is going high a lot. Ayane can fight Sarah up close, but having that knowledge of her strings and frame advantage do play a pretty big role to keep the match up favorable for Ayane up close. Sarah needs her highs.

But the way this match really works for Ayane especially during the range game. Keep Sarah out well with good spacing and she'll have a hard time fighting, because she really lacks any good range tools. She would have to YOLO run in, or take chances using 66K, 2K, 2H+K, 33H+KK and the like, which are risky for her because if they whiff in strike range, she's in trouble. Sarah is not that kind of character to have good keepout tools or a solid range game.

This should help if you need a visual

Ayane vs Alpha-152 | 6-4

Last edited:

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Ayane vs Helena | 5-5

Ayane vs Rig | 5-5

Ayane vs Rachel | 5-5

WORK IN PROGRESS

Ayane (i10/i13/i12) vs Rachel (i11/i13/i14)

Rachel is a super heavyweight striker with very straight forward strings. Both pre and post 1.03 patch, this was a very favorable match up for Ayane. Rachel was pretty dominating at the beginning of DOA5U because she was a completely new character, so no one truly knew how to deal with her and didn't know that the solution to defending her vortex was just to simply block.

All you have to do is block when you are forced up, or if you tech up. And counter hit her if she tries to loop you with her i12 frame 41236H+P throw.

Some things Rachel will be using in CQC;

- P
- PP
- PPH+P (offensive hold)
- PPP (mid punch guard crushes, -1 on block)
- PPK (tracking high, - 7 on block
- PP2K (low kick, -12 on block, +5 on neutral hit)
- PK (mid kick, -2 on block)
- 2P (+1 on hit, -4 on block)
- 6P (mid punch, -11 on block)
- 6PK (mid kick, -5 on block)
- 6PKK (high kick, -5 on block, can be done as 6KK)
- 6PKP (mid punch guard crushes, -2 on block, can be done as 6KP)
- 4PPPP (All strikes are mids, first two strikes track, third and fourth do not,
Ayane vs Zack | 6-4

Ayane vs Mila | 6-4

Last edited:

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Ayane vs Marie Rose | 6-4

Ayane vs Phase 4 | 6-4

Ayane vs NyoTengu | 6-4

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD