online/competitive scene?

sunvulcan

I played this a ton as a kid and was really looking to maybe get back into it. Is there a way to play this online at all? Is there even a competitive scene/ruleset at all?

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
There is no way to play DOA3 online, no. There isn't really a competitive scene for it either. Just a few people on here who still play it from time to time.

As for competitive rules, the current ruleset for DOA (in DOA5LR) is normal life, 3 rounds, 60 seconds. Though I believe they actually played DOA3 on 40 seconds back in its day, before DOA4 came out. I'm not positive though. Also, the most important detail is which version of the game you're playing. The one that people played/play is DOA3.1, which is the Japanese version of the game. Though technically, I'd imagine that Gultigargar's DOA3++ mod of DOA3.1 would be the actual "standard" now among the few DOA3 players on here.

JAG THE GEMINI

It is a REAL shame that the BEST DOA game never got the "ULTIMATE" treatmant and thus is the ONLY game which is NOT Online playable.... GREAT TECMO

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
DOA3 ruleset back in the day was 60 seconds, 3 rounds, largest life, random stage.

t is a REAL shame that the BEST DOA game never got the "ULTIMATE" treatmant and thus is the ONLY game which is NOT Online playable

eh, 2 of the best games never got Online playable: DOA3 and DOA++. Personally, I rank each of them above DOA2, DOA4, and DOAD.

The only way DOA3 (and DOA++) will ever get online play is if a proper emulator is made, and they've been working on it for over 10 years to no avail. Last I saw of the Xbox emulator, they can run the game at 12% speed, no sound, and input is hardlocked with no player 2 control. DOA++ works great with Zinc but has no online option, and the game is a glitchfest on MAME and must be used with MAME++ also with no online option.

Last edited:

JAG THE GEMINI

DOA3 ruleset back in the day was 60 seconds, 3 rounds, largest life, random stage.

eh, 2 of the best games never got Online playable: DOA3 and DOA++. Personally, I rank each of them above DOA2, DOA4, and DOAD.

The only way DOA3 (and DOA++) will ever get online play is if a proper emulator is made, and they've been working on it for over 10 years to no avail. Last I saw of the Xbox emulator, they can run the game at 12% speed, no sound, and input is hardlocked with no player 2 control. DOA++ works great with Zinc but has no online option, and the game is a glitchfest on MAME and must be used with MAME++ also with no online option.
Never heard of all those emulators before... DOA++ is an enhanced version of the first DOA, right?
Which is at least online playable but in the case of DOA3, NO VERSION aka DOA3, DOA3.1 nor DOA3.2 are online playable!

The by far best DOA game got the shittiest treatmant in the whole franchise... DOA could have been SO MUCH MORE if DOA3 was the main focus in the DOA development cycle since the "BAD DOA", aka DOA4 but no..
I'd rather play DOA2U than DOA4 or DOA5, can't say anything about DOA++
BTW, you did not mention DOA5 so you kinda like it I guess

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Oh, wow. They played on largest life back in DOA3? What was the reasoning for that? 240 made rounds too short? I thought that one of the older games was played on 40 seconds. Was it 2U, or 4? Or am I just going mad?

It'd be great if someone could find one of the old Xbox Alpha Development Kits and potentially extract the source to maybe create a functional emulator. One was just found recently, but it had no HDD in it.

Raansu

Oh, wow. They played on largest life back in DOA3? What was the reasoning for that? 240 made rounds too short? I thought that one of the older games was played on 40 seconds. Was it 2U, or 4? Or am I just going mad?

It'd be great if someone could find one of the old Xbox Alpha Development Kits and potentially extract the source to maybe create a functional emulator. One was just found recently, but it had no HDD in it.

Damage on 3 was really high. Even on largest you could practically one shot someone's health in the right conditions. Matches would end extremely fast if set to normal.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD