Community Opinion: Dead or Alive 5 Last Round Dividing the Community

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Our community is currently in an uproar regarding Dead or Alive 5 Last Round. We have actually managed to divide ourselves up into what amounts to factions, with people from each side hopping up onto soapboxes and yelling as loudly as possible to be heard. I myself am absolutely guilty of it and this is going to be a bit more of that, so I apologize in advance. That said, any discussion on the topic will now be moved here in an effort to clean up the site.

If there is news to report about the new release, it will go up on the front page. If there is a discussion about the quality of the content, the value of the title, or anything similar, it will go here. We have tiny little fires starting up all over the site and it's become such a mess that something that the staff of this site does for free because we are fans of the franchise, development team, and community has become a second job. It's incredibly frustrating to deal with and believe me when I say I have much better things to be focusing on than somebody starting yet another argument because they felt the need to vomit their thoughts through the megaphone that is the internet.

Here are a few fun facts about Last Round followed by a large helping of my opinion:

1) The largest market gains are going to come from the current generation consoles. Team NINJA no doubt saw a large reduction in sell-through of Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate. Units sold will no doubt dip even further with Last Round even had it been a release with content parity and retail release for all SKUs. Ultimate was our paid update; we got our money's worth with that title and the actual gameplay tweaks from Last Round come for free to all existing users. The new content that is exclusive to the newer consoles is to sweeten the deal for new customers.

2) The game is already scheduled for release in just four months. Not a single one of us Western gamers (same goes for our Eastern friends) will affect a release date set for a title by a Japanese corporation. They put it where it is for a reason, Team NINJA has milestones to hit, and that's it. Sacrifices on content and what-goes-where will be made. The original Dead or Alive 5 had this same thing happen as well. This won't change.

Streams lambasting the company and making a case for changing the content of this release are no different than shooting spitballs at a boulder running you down. It is happening, it is happening the way they've announced it will, and absolutely nothing you can do will stop it. Try being respectful and hope for a free content update after release or paid DLC. That worked really well for the "We want sexy back!" crowd.

Stop being a little bitch on social media, basically. You look obnoxious no matter how many people agree with you and the friends you've made online and off on the corporate side will be significantly less likely to work with you in the future. Don't burn bridges just to get some ad revenue or feel like you have others backing you for a short while. It'll all be drowned out by the new character announcements when they come anyway. I still have a lot of respect for those in the community engaging in these practices but the lack of tact is insanely idiotic unless the intent *is* to burn bridges.

3) By the time Last Round sees release, it will have been a year and a half since Ultimate hit shelves. You are not entitled to anything for free at this point. Many other companies would have walled off Last Round from the previous title and required payment even for the gameplay tweaks. Team NINJA is instead offering ALL gameplay-centric changes for free to existing users and making another version of Core Fighters for the current generation platforms to let pretty much everyone try out the new game at no cost (or near to it on Xbox One). You want the stages and additional let's-play-dress-up! content? Then you're paying extra. Don't have a new console and see no desire to get one? Enjoy the new balance adjustments anyway. Getting part of the new content for free doesn't put you in a position to ask for the rest of it for free, too.

I don't expect everyone to be happy with what I just said. Quite a few of you will likely be pretty pissed that I wrote a post like this. Others will like my post because they agree. But if you can't read my post and see that what I've mentioned makes sense, you're a part of the problem. I've read quite a few arguments over the last several weeks for dissenting opinions and I've liked the posts and responded professionally. I've read other posts that were sniveling rants dressed up nicely. All of that bullshit will now collect here. If your post disappears, check to see if it got moved here. Nobody is exempt from this and I will be watching closely. Other action may be taken if it gets out of hand.

Respect each other, respect differing opinions, and keep posts that you know are more of the same here.

Intelligent Alpha

Lots of variables factor into the division though, but the biggest one is principle! There's alot of that BS that's happening in the West, too! As true as your post is, I think you'd or anybody would be foolish to think division would not happen! Was it the intent? I doubt any company/developer/publisher, etc. sets out to create division, but hopefully they are aware that it will occur.

The "Feelings on LR" thread was just that. Did it erupt? I'd be lying if I said otherwise, but to boldly assert that such was made to incite eruption is asinine! All of these factors. My little box about a costume - I couldn't careless, really - it's a costume. However, the principle - why now? I mean, I could think about slapping on a costume after two seconds. Ten years?

It's a case of: LR isn't looking huge (and trying to pull out all stops for current gen doesn't help) - this has nothing to do with what console to get it on because I doubt it'd make a difference. What it does come down to is: "Are they running out of ideas and trying to bide time for the next iteration, being DOA6?" I realize all that transpired between 4 and 5, put a damper on things; yet. imo, I don't think one game + two title updates will make up for it. They tried, I will give them that! You succeed, but fail, too. That's how it works!

Despite the temperature, right now, I believe they can and will recover. It may or may not happen with LR or even 6, but eventually I think the dust cloud will settle and this will be an afterthought.

JKT

That was a very fair post IMO ^^.

I for one was a little annoyed at the way things are atm, however I'll take it upon myself to be patient and wait for upcoming news on DOA5LR. We should all be grateful that TN is still investing in DOA to begin with. Let's just be as positive as we can ^^!

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
I'm just excited that a TRUE 3D fighter is coming to current gen hardware and it happens to be a 3D fighter that I truly enjoy. What I'm just happy for is the fact that Team Ninja is still supporting DOA and is even allowing last gen console owners to upgrade to the Last Round updates for FREE. Not to mention, I'm glad Team Ninja lets ALL DLC you bought transfer over Last Round. Overall, I tell people that something had to entice people to buy the PS4/XB1 version of DOA5LR. People keep saying that the stages could be optimized for last gen, but maybe Team Ninja optimized it for PS4/XB1 hardware and DO NOT want to degrade the stages for last gen. Whatever the reason, I think at the end of the day, people should be happy that DOA5 is still getting support, is coming to current gen hardware, and is also available for last gen hardware so that EVERYONE can enjoy Last Round in some way, shape, or form. Team Ninja has made the message perfectly clear: if you want the full Last Round experience, then get the game on current gen hardware. But, IN THE MEAN TIME, if you cannot afford to get current gen hardware, you can AT LEAST upgrade FOR FREE and still play with the two new characters + get the new outfits via a paid DLC package.

werewolfgold

I suppose we'll have to see if the new balance changes are anything to be happy about. lol

But, anyhoo, I think the main problem is maybe people felt...misled? Maybe if the band-aid had been ripped off that PS360 were going to be missing out on several things from the jump, it would have been a little better.

...But, then again, knowing the internet, maybe not...

David Gregg

It's a marketing strategy. Purposely being vague so that players are interested in it b/c they think it's content they will get with them investing time learning/watching vids about it only to eventually learn the "catch". More people will be likely to buy current gen with this method as compared to if TN said it up front with players turning the other way from the start.

I'll reserve my opinions on if what I thought they did was right or wrong (since you guys have probably already read my "novels" on this issue XD) but I'm just pointing out TN did it on purpose.

Intelligent Alpha

It's a marketing strategy. Purposely being vague so that players are interested in it b/c they think it's content they will get with them investing time learning/watching vids about it only to eventually learn the "catch". More people will be likely to buy current gen with this method as compared to if TN said it up front with players turning the other way from the start.

I'll reserve my opinions on if what I thought they did was right or wrong (since you guys have probably already read my "novels" on this issue XD) but I'm just pointing out TN did it on purpose.

Welcome to the world of advertising! Happens all the damn time with any and everything! I would say a reaction is better than no reaction though! Why are we hot? It's because we care! There's no worse feeling in the world than apathy!!

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
But, anyhoo, I think the main problem is maybe people felt...misled? Maybe if the band-aid had been ripped off that PS360 were going to be missing out on several things from the jump, it would have been a little better.

...But, then again, knowing the internet, maybe not...
Honestly, it wouldn't have been any better, imo. BUT then again, maybe people would just be more accepting that the full package is reserved for current gen in order to sell units and get players to make the jump to next gen.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I'm just going to continue voicing my opinion and hope something happens. No, I'm not here to burn bridges; I'm not here to start fights. I'm here to get hype, leave feedback and improve my game just like everyone else that signs up for FSD.

Though I will tone down my abusive posts directed towards TK until I see more. I'm already going to be buying a ONE sooner than I'd like because of this game and my hope to stay within game meta (and hopefully more than two stages). DOA is my favorite game... I invest almost all of my game time to DOA because the rest of it goes to finishing school, family and the dating game.

Truthfully I don't have nearly as many passions as I'd like, I think a few here might feel the same and the reason they are so vocal isn't because they hate Team NINJA, but because of the investment they have put into DOA -- they expect a return. Mentally I am a little unhinged with a lot different things, one of the biggest: missing two offline events I planned to attend... both because of family related issues that only brought me more stress and less money.

Though I am ready for a fresh start with DOA, and hopeful to attend offline events for Last Round. Those are my goals... and continue to post news/interviews and results to our home page. :)

Intelligent Alpha

Honestly, it wouldn't have been any better, imo. BUT then again, maybe people would just be more accepting that the full package is reserved for current gen in order to sell units and get players to make the jump to next gen.

But wait! How'd exactly console owners get Ultimate? By that logic, there shouldn't have been one! "I'm sorry for the missing features. Get a portable! (Which I wonder why MS has never dove into that dept. I understand Sony didn't do so well and of course, there's Nintendo - is that company a goldmine? It was back then!) I don't think it'd hurt for them to try, but that's a different discussion entirely!

And there are other games out there that would make players jump to next gen - I'm surprised that hasn't been mentioned! I'm getting at least four along with the XBO. DOA isn't exactly a "flagship" game! TN, as do other companies/devs have other games, too.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
And there are other games out there that would make players jump to next gen - I'm surprised that hasn't been mentioned! I'm getting at least four along with the XBO. DOA isn't exactly a "flagship" game! TN, as do other companies/devs have other games, too.
I know there are other games that would entice people to jump to next gen, but for me personally, the games that enticed me are either not out yet OR I can just get on my PS3, because graphics don't really concern me as much as content does. If the game is virtually the SAME on both consoles, except one version is 720P and one is 1080P, then why even bother getting the game on current gen, when it's available on last gen hardware, since all I have is a PS3? A lot of the games I want on current gen are coming out in 2015, Last Round included. And Last Round is happening mainly due to fans saying they want DOA on current gen and for Team Ninja to get used to developing for current gen hardware for DOA6 and (hopefully) the next Ninja Gaiden game.

Intelligent Alpha

I know there are other games that would entice people to jump to next gen, but for me personally, the games that enticed me are either not out yet OR I can just get on my PS3, because graphics don't really concern me as much as content does. If the game is virtually the SAME on both consoles, except one version is 720P and one is 1080P, then why even bother getting the game on current gen, when it's available on last gen hardware, since all I have is a PS3? A lot of the games I want on current gen are coming out in 2015, Last Round included. And Last Round is happening mainly due to fans saying they want DOA on current gen and for Team Ninja to get used to developing for current gen hardware for DOA6 and (hopefully) the next Ninja Gaiden game.

DOA4? That jumped straight to seventh gen - not DOA3.3 or DOA3.4! DOA4! And that was new hardware at the time. Here we have it now as DOA, 5.1 and 5.2, but 5.2 is on next gen to test the waters. Use a side game like DOAX3 - not something in the main series! You don't see NG3:RE going to current gen where you can apply the same logic (if you've never played NG, S II, S2 or III - ironically, I haven't, but that's not the point). I started with RE like I started with 4 with DOA. They are doing NG4 - a full new game. I don't see how they can use DOA5.2 as a guide as these are totally different games!

If every game was ported, if you think people lost it with DOA, you are in for a rude awakening! If NRS is taking a chance with MKX (although that's being ported, too), but at the same time being a new game ...

Last edited:

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
But Dead or Alive, at the time, was exclusive to Xbox. That's why they ported DOA1 and 2 to the original Xbox and made 4 for the Xbox 360. But now that Dead or Alive 5 has become multiplatform, it makes business sense to port DOA5 to current gen hardware, especially since so many people are playing it. Not to mention, they're still doing the "Core Fighters" model, which allow people to try out the game before buying it. Dead or Alive 5 Last Round is bringing content from the Ultimate Arcade version AND console exclusive content as well. I've been telling people time and time again that it was silly to expect a complete overhaul in graphics for a port. It's still DOA5 at the core. Fans said they wanted it for current gen hardware and Team Ninja made their wish come true. And as I said before, Team Ninja still gives last gen console owners access to any balance changes to Last Round, the new characters, new costumes, and ability to play with Last Round owners who jumped to current gen hardware. Gaming, at the end of the day, is a business and Team Ninja (and Tecmo Koei) saw an opportunity to expand. We know DOA6 is coming in the near future, but for the time being, TN is still supporting DOA5 and the support (and purchase of DLC) from fans can go into future current gen hardware games from Team Ninja.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD