Opinion: DOA6 will not happen anytime soon

When a studio like Team NINJA makes a high quality game like Dead or Alive 5, it's natural to want more, but is it a little too soon to be expecting another game? Evidence would say yes, as some from the dev team have questioned if DOA6 would even come out and with Mai coming to the game in two months, and with about six months left of planned Battle Royal events why would it be announced or even hinted this year?

In the 90s, I primarily played video games on the Nintendo 64... a console that people point out is severly lacking in games, but to me that never really mattered much because of the quality of the games I was playing. I had a triple A game in every genre and I couldn't wait to play them again so it's hard for me to understand this new generation of gamers that see games as so disposable, because the way I see it DOA5's lifespan is as long as the community keeps playing it.

Hype can sometimes carry a lot of the market now, and if you observe the market you will see that hype dies fast. I am already finding XBOX ONE and PS4 games like Fallout 4 for $5 at garage sales... which makes games appear as more trendy than something you could dedicate real time and enjoyment to. Of course I played games in a time where DLC wasn't 90% of the retail game market value on average. You didn't get updates, and you didn't get DLC, but yet Goldeneye didn't start collecting any dust on my shelf for a long, long time... and I didn't dare give it away at a yard sale.

Dead or Alive 5 has already almost been around for three years, and it's still active today. This reminds me of how I perceived games in the 90s. There are new things to learn constantly, you had intimate experiences with other people and made connections. Just watching the Dead or Alive Festival blew my expectations after thinking what more could actually happen at tournaments that I haven't see before. These players were playing in different ways and more intelligently than I think I've seen before. I haven't played the game much this year, maybe I'm behind the curb -- but it pleases me as a member of the community to see people still come up with great tech that works efficiently against long time players.

So do we really need DOA6 right now? People are still digging up quite a bit from Last Round, and DOA5 has managed to stay active and keep a community. Another thing I find weird is that we waited like eight years for DOA5, and we are only three years into DOA5's lifespan, so why not be a little more patient? I would probably go bananas if DOA6 was announced at TGS or anytime really, but why hold out for it when I still have a great game that is active now?

I thought this forum already mostly agreed in other similar threads that DOA is at least two to three years away? They probably haven't even started with the development of DOA6 yet, having their hands full with Last Round, DOAX3, Dissidia, Nioh, games like Hyrule Warriors or Dragon Quest Heroes I and II and very likely more of that sort. And then there is also the Ninja Gaiden series... Wouldn't Ninja Gaiden 4 come before the next DOA? There is only so much one game studio can do.
Last but not least they are apparently earning a lot of money from Last Round DLC. There's simply no reason to make a new DOA yet. They really don't need to. Once Tekken 7 and Soul Calibur 6 (hopefully at some point) are out, then there will be more pressure to compete with a brandnew up to date DOA. But for now they are still the only current 3D fighter. Looking at Tekken 7...LR graphically doesn't even look that bad in comparison. ;)

one thing unsettle about DOA5LR is the story mode, too many guest character without any story mode /background left me a bit unsatisfied and plus with the DLC profit..they could have at least started 6 under production.

It's true that Team NINJA left things a little unclear on the new characters, but at least we have a big growing selection of characters. AND I think most would believe that DOA6 will not be coming out, but recently with Mai -- I have seen some people comment on the lifespan left of DOA and some do hope for a 6th game sooner than most would think so I wanted to layer my 2 cents on the matter.

I mean, we may have waited 7-8 years for DOA5 to come out, but I'm pretty sure no one wanted to wait that long lol. Like after 4 years, it was tiring, and most of the people I know gave up on there ever being a DOA5, especially considering all the problems going on with the company.

I would say that it could very well be just around the corner. The only reason we had to wait so long for DOA5 was because of Itagaki's departure of Team Ninja, so all of his licensed games were put on hold. As I recall, he started to work on DOA5 on the 4th year of DOA4, and then had the issues with Team Ninja almost immediately after.

We have to also consider that Team Ninja has made Last Round fully customizable in terms of adding in characters on the fly, so there might be more characters coming into the fray, perhaps more King of Fighters.

It just depends how long they'll want to milk the money cow out of DOA5 until it's all dried up. Perhaps they're also waiting for Sony's next console to arrive, any way to make a bang for their buck.

I will have to buy every DLC packs and characters to keep this game going!
DOA5 LR is the most fun game i have ever played, with new content coming regularly every month to keep this game fresh, puts a smile on my face.
Now with the Attack on Titan ,Mai DLC's and Tom Lee's interview about more characters possibly joining the DOA roster, the "hope"
for DOA6 is stretched out longer, maybe 4 or 6 years even.

I agree with what you said. I wouldn't mind waiting on DOA6 for awhile just so Team Ninja can perfect it. Dead or alive 5 Last Round is a pretty complex game and people are still figuring out great things about it and coming up with their own unique perspective to a character and on the game in general. It's still young for a fighting game and the meta can be advanced greatly still.
Pretty much this. There's still tons of people learning how DOA5LR works, and after watching DOA FES 2016, you get a better impression of how much untapped potential there is in this game and how much space there is for the metagame to still grow. This game hasn't come close to running its course. As of February 2015, DOA5 has received new content literally every month. Really, January 2014 & January 2015 have been the only two months where DOA5 didn't receive any new content. Game has received 13 new stages, (5 of them have been FREE), has added 11 characters (soon to be 12) and of course has received around a 1000 costumes. To top it off, DOA5LR is still one of the better looking FG's on the market. DOA6 is far from necessary in reality.

If you grew up playing the hits of the N64 (I know I did), then you know that you will never see eye to eye with game fans of today. Only in my later years did I find out that the 64 was flop vs ps1, everyone I knew was on 64 save 1 person and all he played was tony hawk. Smash, mario64, goldeneye, mario party, banjo,starfox, mario kart, to name a few, if you got bored then I question your ability to have fun lol.

DOA6 will likely be a neo/Scorpio focused and cross gen like DOA5U to LR, with PS5/xbox1080.

In short it'll be 3-4 years before we see doa6. In the post Souls gaming landscape, team ninja doesn't want Ninja Gaiden to disappear so I'm sure that's their current priority. Plus with melee still glitching its way around, so long as fans play doa, it'll still be relevant, core fighters all but ensured that.

Add in a chun lee, Cammy, or Ivy crossover and DOA is golden till nex gen.

I aagree that DOA6 is a long ways off but unlike you I'm not happy about it.

What you have to remember is that under Itagaki, doa was directed more to casual fighters who enjoyed story, character interactions and new bosses more than tournaments.

With no new story dlc ever coming despite new character dlc, all these players can do is twiddle their thumbs and ponder hoping to one day soon see what happens to Kasumi, if Lisa is alive, want to go on more adventures with Ayane or Hitomi, find out Honoka's connection to Raidou.

Also the coming of a new title brings the hope that it will have a better and more refined arcade mode and story along with new ways to fights in possible new modes. I know I would love to see the return of the arcade mode interactions established in DOa2.

But have fun saying 1 pee 2peee 3 peekaayyy, safe, not safe and enjoying tournaments. I'll still be hoping for a six.

I aagree that DOA6 is a long ways off but unlike you I'm not happy about it.

What you have to remember is that under Itagaki, doa was directed more to casual fighters who enjoyed story, character interactions and new bosses more than tournaments.

With no new story dlc ever coming despite new character dlc, all these players can do is twiddle their thumbs and ponder hoping to one day soon see what happens to Kasumi, if Lisa is alive, want to go on more adventures with Ayane or Hitomi, find out Honoka's connection to Raidou.

Also the coming of a new title brings the hope that it will have a better and more refined arcade mode and story along with new ways to fights in possible new modes. I know I would love to see the return of the arcade mode interactions established in DOa2.

But have fun saying 1 pee 2peee 3 peekaayyy, safe, not safe and enjoying tournaments. I'll still be hoping for a six.

Story mode wasn't there big priority when making this game just look at the mess they made. XD
A new arcade mode can easily be patched in the game, if there is demand for it.

This is a fighting game, people want to play 1 vs 1 offline and online and enjoy learning new tech, that's why this game is still going strong these past years. -_-

Go play Street fighter V instead. :p

Story mode wasn't there big priority when making this game just look at the mess they made. XD
A new arcade mode can easily be patched in the game, if there is demand for it.

This is a fighting game, people want to play 1 vs 1 offline and online and enjoy learning new tech, that's why this game is still going strong these past years. -_-

Go play Street fighter V instead. :p
Ok being a rude I see. Whatever makes you feel good about yourself.

Your points dont make any sense and supports why I want a 6.

First, thats the whole point about wanting 6 is because the lack of a good story. Second, its clear arcade wont be patched just new $100 costume season passes and charcaters. Its practically a 0% possibility of arcade being changed outside of a new iteration.

Fighting games have been enjoyed for years playing arcade and story modes and some of the best ones, see netherworlds MK and injustice games managed to meld casual and competitive play experiences. But thanks for dictating what everyone who ever played a fighting game wants, that doesnt make you sound crazy at all.

Finally SFV is an example of failure at this being only focused on competitive with a poor story mode inferior to previous ones, that didnt drop months after the game came out. So i dont know why you would recommend that to me unless you dont know nothing about the game or the points I was making. Besides Sfv doesnt have the doa cast in it whose story I want to see unfold.

Great well thought out reply there : p

With Tekken 7 coming out, Team Ninja will most likely have a hard time keeping DOA5 relevant to be honest. Spamming DLC costumes every month isn't going to cut it in the long run.

It will not matter. Tekken is a 3D fighter, but in my opinion it is extremely clunky, and I don't see a lot of DOA players jumping on that ship just because it's a new game. DOA players for the most part want something fluid and well animated.

There is no urge for DOA6 for the moment.
I'd rather see TN take their time (2-3 years) in order to offer innovative mechanics and ideas.

I don't mind them making plenty of money over new content (costumes, stages, etc).

Ok being a rude I see. Whatever makes you feel good about yourself.

Your points dont make any sense and supports why I want a 6.

First, thats the whole point about wanting 6 is because the lack of a good story. Second, its clear arcade wont be patched just new $100 costume season passes and charcaters. Its practically a 0% possibility of arcade being changed outside of a new iteration.

Fighting games have been enjoyed for years playing arcade and story modes and some of the best ones, see netherworlds MK and injustice games managed to meld casual and competitive play experiences. But thanks for dictating what everyone who ever played a fighting game wants, that doesnt make you sound crazy at all.

Finally SFV is an example of failure at this being only focused on competitive with a poor story mode inferior to previous ones, that didnt drop months after the game came out. So i dont know why you would recommend that to me unless you dont know nothing about the game or the points I was making. Besides Sfv doesnt have the doa cast in it whose story I want to see unfold.

Great well thought out reply there : p

Well it's also dumb to wanting a new game just for the story mode and see how your precious characters are doing....
The Game mechanics of rock, paper, scissors are solid as is, and a new game will not necessary change that, dont change what isn't broken.
Fact is, DOA5 is a success and they dont see the need of a new game, while they can easily milk this game with dlc costumes and dlc characters.
Mai coming to DOA5 has certainly made it clear, that a new game is far from realization.

With Tekken 7 coming out, Team Ninja will most likely have a hard time keeping DOA5 relevant to be honest. Spamming DLC costumes every month isn't going to cut it in the long run.

That will not effect much, numerous fighting game was announced the past few years and DOA 5 is still here, and people are still playing it.

Well it's also dumb to wanting a new game just for the story mode and see how your precious characters are doing....
The Game mechanics of rock, paper, scissors are solid as is, and a new game will not necessary change that, dont change what isn't broken.
Fact is, DOA5 is a success and they dont see the need of a new game, while they can easily milk this game with dlc costumes and dlc characters.
Mai coming to DOA5 has certainly made it clear, that a new game is far from realization.

Oh dear lord what is wrong with this kid....

My opinion wasnt meant to be a debate but a statement to why some people want doa6 in an article asking why do people want doa6 and you keep saying irrational and irrelevant things.

Ok Im replying to your post but this is the last time. If you cant figure out how odd your post are, you're on your own.

*sigh.. Okay. Not that it even matters what you consider dumb but wanting sequels to see the story progress and new additions and modes...are pretty much the entire purpose of them. From assassins creed to god of war to call of duty.

Please point out where I said the game mechanice dont, "rock" or mention anywhere that they are poor or imply that. Note this is rhetorical cause i clearly didnt.

Oh gee wweeally. Is game duurr success!? Zomg is da sequel far from derr realization!?! Tanks for telling me cause god knows thats not what I thought... OH WAIT! I agree with that in the first sentence, oh the first paragraph, of the first post I made in this. But thanks for letting me know anyway.

Goodbye forever.

Edit:
Eh in retrospect I'm probably being too harsh, but boy was i getting irritated.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD