DOA5LR PC-version information collection

immi

Basically, they've learned their lesson for future PC ports, but it's just not worth doing much else with LR on PC besides the usual balance patches and DLC.
i haven't seen any signs that they learned their lesson. Have they ever admitted/explained how much they screwed up the PC release?
The fact that they are totally silent regarding all the problems is a major reason why people are so angry. Everybody can screw up a software release. But if you do, at least own up to your mistakes. Ignoring the problem just shows total disrespect towards your customers.
As nice as it is that they are responding to email questions, they can't really expect that all 50K buyers ask them directly what the status of the game is.
It shouldn't be so hard to put out some statement about what will come to the PC version and what won't.

Spending some development time might be very worthwhile for them to get some trust back from the PC community. As it is a lot of people will be very hesitant to spend money on a future Koei/Tecmo title.

WisperG

i haven't seen any signs that they learned their lesson. Have they ever admitted/explained how much they screwed up the PC release?
The fact that they are totally silent regarding all the problems is a major reason why people are so angry. Everybody can screw up a software release. But if you do, at least own up to your mistakes. Ignoring the problem just shows total disrespect towards your customers.
As nice as it is that they are responding to email questions, they can't really expect that all 50K buyers ask them directly what the status of the game is.
It shouldn't be so hard to put out some statement about what will come to the PC version and what won't.

Spending some development time might be very worthwhile for them to get some trust back from the PC community. As it is a lot of people will be very hesitant to spend money on a future Koei/Tecmo title.

The implication that they "learned their lesson" actually comes from something they said. Hayashi said they would be "better prepared" for PC releases in the future. He seemed to be suggesting some of their future games (DOA6?) will have PC versions planned from the beginning, avoiding the problems they had this time of slapping together a PC version of a game that was never meant to be on PC after the fact.

At this point, it doesn't seem likely that they'll be doing any major overhauling of the PC version, so what I got from their comments was basically "It's too little too late to make Last Round on PC identical to it's console counterparts, but we'll do better next time."

This came from Mr. Wah's Steam discussion thread he linked to at one point, where he was answering peoples questions and providing some info he'd learned first-hand.

immi

This came from Mr. Wah's Steam discussion thread he linked to at one point, where he was answering peoples questions and providing some info he'd learned first-hand.
interesting, got any link to that thread?

This second-handed passing along of information fits exactly the screwed up PR policy that i was criticizing. It is nice that they talk directly to people and share information, but it just isn't a reliable way to inform your customers.

Last edited:

WisperG

interesting, got any link to that thread?

Here it is. "Ponton" is Wah's Steam name, so you can skim for the important comments. That goes straight to the page the "better prepared" comment came from, though there is some other info from him scattered throughout the rest of the thread.

Looking back at it for the first time since the thread went up in August, there were clearly a number things that didn't quite pan out, regardless of their intentions at the time. They wanted to do more with the online patch, for instance.

Word from Wah (not from that thread, but I don't recall exactly where this was posted) says that a number of people at Team Ninja weren't satisfied with the PC version either, but it was such a low priority that nobody could get approval for the time or resources to do much else with it.

immi

Here it is. "Ponton" is Wah's Steam name, so you can skim for the important comments. That goes straight to the page the "better prepared" comment came from, though there is some other info from him scattered throughout the rest of the thread.
thx :).
i recall seeing the thread pop up initially with just stating:
"i spoke with them and they said they are still working on it"
which i discarded as non-news (or even just your usual steamforum trolling attempt :p)
guess i should have come back later and read the rest

curios what exactly they mean with "the game wasn't designed for PC".
As far as I remember the DOA5 arcade system is just an ordinary PC running windows.

I very well believe that the devs actually working on this aren't satisfied. Given the way this went down, i would subscribe to the theory that someone higher up the foodchain doesn't want this port to succeed (or at least doesn't give a damn).

NightAntilli

Likely the bad publicity the game got from the beginning made them think that investing more time in improving it would be a waste. The damage was already done, and improving it wouldn't likely bring back those players that were disappointed.

As for the game not being designed for PC, they likely meant that with consoles and arcade they have low level access to the hardware, but with PC they don't, since the DX11 API is like a huge layer of unnecessary loopholes on the hardware. Porting from the consoles/Arcade to DX12 or Vulkan would/should be a LOT easier.

TN should have waited and released the game when it was ready. They should've released it as an early access game, not as a full game, because in reality, that's what the game's state was when released on Steam. Arguably, it's still in that state, and apparently it won't ever leave it.

Last edited:

immi

As for the game not being designed for PC, they likely meant that with consoles and arcade they have low level access to the hardware, but with PC they don't, since the DX11 API is like a huge layer of unnecessary loopholes on the hardware. Porting from the consoles/Arcade to DX12 or Vulkan would/should be a LOT easier.
as I wrote, the arcade system is basically a PC running windows embedded. so, I assumed that the arcade port was DX9 based.

synce

Game runs very well on PC, I don't know who they think they're bullshitting. In the end everything boils down to DLC money. Tecmo's lack of support comes from the delusion that no one will spend $500 on DLC when it's easily available for free. But here's the kicker - if someone can't pirate all that DLC, they sure as hell aren't going to buy it. They're going to move on on with their lives. Companies need to start realizing that a pirated copy isn't a lost sale, and then we can all be happy.

coffeedad

I <3 Jesus...and coffee.
Premium Donor
I love the PC version.

However,
Today I was unable to connect to others in multiplayer matches. If I accepted a throwdown or found someone in ranked matches it would take me to a black screen and eventually drop :(

I was playing fine last Friday with a buddy. I also tried uninstalling and installing the game, playing on another account, and trying to connect from two different locations (office and home). I have my ports open. Never had an issue before with connecting with others.

Was there a recent update that may be causing this? Thanks!

I should also say that I can play multiplayer on other steam games with no issue.

Last edited:

CookingMama

I love the PC version.

However,
Today I was unable to connect to others in multiplayer matches. If I accepted a throwdown or found someone in ranked matches it would take me to a black screen and eventually drop :(

I was playing fine last Friday with a buddy. I also tried uninstalling and installing the game, playing on another account, and trying to connect from two different locations (office and home). I have my ports open. Never had an issue before with connecting with others.

Was there a recent update that may be causing this? Thanks!

I should also say that I can play multiplayer on other steam games with no issue.

This is really weird because I was getting matches all night long and then I'd get to you and be sent to the black screen of death. It has to be something on your end then, we've normally matched up together just fine. Maybe some weird setting in your steam account? I'd try asking steam support.

I hope you figure this out!

coffeedad

I <3 Jesus...and coffee.
Premium Donor
This is really weird because I was getting matches all night long and then I'd get to you and be sent to the black screen of death. It has to be something on your end then, we've normally matched up together just fine. Maybe some weird setting in your steam account? I'd try asking steam support.

I hope you figure this out!

Hey CookingMama,
Yeah, you and I usually connect fine. The only thing that I can think of is that I updated my Skype program. I'll try uninstalling Skype. Other than that I have not touched the computer. The rest of the game works fine as far as I can tell. We'll see what happens :) I'll try steam support. This issue doesn't happen on other games. ggs by the way and take care.

Edit: Ended up doing a system restore and now it seems to be working fine.

Last edited:

zain399

Does the config work from Steam?
Hey..how to disable the shadows for DOA5? I am using AMD Radeon HD 7640G + HD 7600M Dual Graphics. My actual problem is; the game suddenly just slows down(frame drop) and the laptop is heating up quite quickly too.

gatto tom

Standard Donor
Hey..how to disable the shadows for DOA5? I am using AMD Radeon HD 7640G + HD 7600M Dual Graphics. My actual problem is; the game suddenly just slows down(frame drop) and the laptop is heating up quite quickly too.
If you have Steam version when you click "Play" then choose config and then disable the shadows. If you have cracked one click on startup_settings and disable it

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD