DOA5U "Perseverance Will Always Prevail" : The Gen Fu DOA5U Thread

coffeedad

I <3 Jesus...and coffee.
Premium Donor
Two parts that are tricky for this combo that may be throwing you off. One, :4::P+K: has to hit the opponent right in the ass as they're falling to get maximum height. 2. :3_::P: must be done instantly without crouching. In other words, you have to input both of them as :6::2::3::P: in very quick succession. This should give you just barely enough time to connect the last move.
I actually got it. My problem was that I was not dashing soon enough. I didnt realize how early you could do it. I found gen fu and eliots instant 3p easy to do. I get tripped up on the simple parts of these combo trials. Go figure!

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
P is not a frame trap, lol. It's -2 on normal hit and block. Negative frames does not imply frame traps, it implies that you are at negative frames. Frame traps are neutral frames (+0) or more with actual frame advantage.

4P+K is -4 on block, not -3. 4P+K is a faint stun in Critical stun and on counter hit.

Like Ayane, Genfu has an incredibly strong stun > launch mix up game (considering how limited his actual strings are, they work for him, and very well).

Any stun leads into his ridiculous 50/50;

Stun > 4P+K faint stun > 64P Ground crumple launch > 16P

Stun > 4P+K faint stun > 3P > 6PPP or 6PPP+K or air throw (light weight for air throw)

Stun > 64P > 16P

Stun > H+K > Air throw or damage

Stun > 3P lift stun > whatever

Stun > stun > whatever

3P's lift stun is amazing and a 50/50 in itself;

3P counter hit - Opponents are going to hold here and that alone forces them into the 50/50 of 3PP > 33P crumple stuns into damage or 4P+K faint stun, throw or other launch.

44P can be mixed in with block string pressure or after an air throw for guaranteed damage or an air throw on light weights.

66H+P throw is amazing walls. Negates wake up kicks and 44P pressure works wonderfully here.

RoboJoe

Been testing out what is possible from Gen Fu's bound 6p+k on counterhit. Originally I thought that only 214PP and 64P were possible, but it seems that something better might be available. In theory, due to the bound being considered an air state, 6ppp should be the optimal damage option for his bound. I was able to hit 6ppp on light weight characters, but it was inconsistent. Sometimes I could only get 6pp and often nothing. Due to my poor execution, I've been inconsistent in connecting it. I'm not yet sure if it's stance dependent or how many dashes it requires or even what weight classes it works on. I'm going to keep trying to make it consistent and I'll report results on the exact requirements for it to connect.

RoboJoe

Figured it out. I can now connect both 6ppp and 6ppp+k from Counter Hit 6p+k all the time, but I'm not sure just how viable it can be in a match. I need to test that at casuals. Moving on, what you need to do is take a single free step either towards the front of the screen or the back before using 6p+k. A small free step is done by just tapping the direction and a big free step is done by pressing the direction and letting it return to neutral. This is actually important, because you cannot connect 6ppp+k with a small free step. Here is a list of possible attacks and damage values. Damage calculated with the consideration that the 6p+k is Close Hit and 6p+k is not listed. All single hit attacks work on all weight classes.

214pp (62 dmg) This is what everybody and their mothers use.
64p (63 dmg)
6p+k (63 dmg)
6pp (66 dmg) Works on all weight classes.
6ppp (76 dmg) Works on all weight classes, but for Super Heavy it needs either Open Stance or is a 1-frame link (not yet sure).
6ppp+k (85 dmg) Does not work on Super Heavy, requires big free step.

I was not able to connect 16P in these tests due to execution, but even on Close Hit it won't be able to match 6ppp+k due to the damage reduction from being in an air state.

Another thing to note is that if you go too far in your free step, you will hit your opponent in the back which will knock them down instead of giving a bound. You also can't rely on visuals either, since "front" and "back" are relative to where the character's body was facing during the last input. You'll notice that sometimes hitting someone in the side or even the front will give you a backturned hit. This is why the amount you free step is important and also why it might be more difficult to incorporate the better damaging options in a match.

EDIT: 3k version is more lenient and doesn't need any stepping on lighter enemies.

Last edited:

SweetRevenge117

Standard Donor
Why would I land a 6p+k on counter hit? He has way better options than 6p+k. I hardly use that move. Better off doing 64p then getting close hit 16p. 16p is also a way more damaging move near a wall as well

RoboJoe

Why would I land a 6p+k on counter hit? He has way better options than 6p+k. I hardly use that move. Better off doing 64p then getting close hit 16p. 16p is also a way more damaging move near a wall as well

I meant for all this to be a more proof of concept kind of thing to liven this forum since it's completely dead, but it does come in handy when 3kp6p connects with no wall even though that's rare to see.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
hey guys i want to know what should i do after a 2T thanks

4P6P on back turned opponents is what I opt for. If they mash after 2T, then they get counter hit into good stun. If they block, then you have them defensive and can maintain offensive pressure.

I prefer this over 6P because if you hit confirm a 6PP, it will push back turned opponents away from you.

Metatron

Hello everybody,

I use to come to this forum to follow the doa community and i have never posted before but now i desepertly request your help.

Once, i saw a genfu video on this website, i think it was during a tournament on doa5u (because the new stun system was available and brings new combos). The player was one of the craziest genfu I have ever seen and used to make a combo using 44P and BT P+K. He also took advantages of the new 6+P+K stun context. But i can't figure out how to reproduce it and in what exact context. And i can't retrive the video neither.

Please, do you know what video it is or what is the string to perform this combo because i can't find it antwhere :(

Thank you for your help :)

Metatron

Oh really? yes i guess this is it since power launcher has the same animation as 44P. Sad they patched it. Gen is one of the most nerfed char in doa.

TaijiMonk

There is some excellent information in this thread, some very succinct and easy to understand. I have always went for max damage with Gen fu, going for the combos that do half health or more, and mixing up throws in between. I've now been experimenting with how to play Gen Fu as safe as possible, and have figured out some stuff, only to find most of it and more in this thread. Great contributions from everyone, thanks. And, I think Gen Fu is in the top echelon now.....not sold on him being the best yet, though.

TaijiMonk

Also, the 50/50 mix up thing with him. I think I understand that now. I saw it thrown around in the forums, but didn't understand it until now. So 3p counter hit, they either have to guess mid punch or high punch. Cause you can either continue the 3p with p and execute the unholdable sit-down stun, or 4p+k for the unholdable faint stun, or try to grab them after they counter. But they could sit there and do nothing, allowing your grab to miss, so your grab could backfire. Considering it takes 12 frames for the throw launcher he has, you might be punished.

Also, one thing to add. Some combos that bounce opponent off the ground, example: counter hit 3pp, 33p, 33p......at this point they're bounced off the ground. You can follow up with 7p+k (uncharged), then quickly use 16p. You should catch them with that. I rely on that because I can't reliably do 16 close range after bouncing them off the ground. I don't know which does more damage...7p+k, 16p.....or 16p close hit.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Don't forget you also have an unholdable mid kick launcher. I get so sad when I have to take a throw instead of an expert mid kick combo. ;_;

Last edited:

TaijiMonk

They can tech the 7p+k to where you don't get 16p
Oh, that's right. I'm testing stuff right now, and It seems 4p6p is the best after a parry. It's the most damage Gen Fu can do before the critical state starts, giving you the most potential damage. I don't see why to use the others.

TaijiMonk

The only two moves of Gen Fu's that I haven't found a practical use for are 7k(cartwheel kick) and 6p+k. The 16p looks to have the same reach as 6p+k, don't know why that move is there...maybe for ease of use? 16p is easy to use though given practice.

Whoops, just above me I see Robojoe just explained its potential use, the 6p+k that is. That just leaves the 7k. It does a fair amount of damage (35) and is mid kick, so it helps even out his move list. I sometimes use it against a running opponent, but that's about it

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD