DOA5U Phase 4 Character Breakdown!

BlankOctober

Standard Donor
This is a basic Phase 4 breakdown. I go over her unique strikes, what's safe, what's unsafe, ways to use Tenfu and Chifu, and other bits that I found useful. Her playstyle will evolve through time, so take this as a starting point. If you are looking for combos, please visit the combo thread. Also this is a two-part breakdown, so please watch both videos and enjoy! ;)

Timestamps:
Part 1
0:00- Opening Remarks

1:38- Pros and Cons

14:50- Strikes and Frame Data
Part 2
0:00- Tenfu (Jump)

3:42- Chifu (Dash)

4:50- Explanation of Safety from Tenfu/Chifu

6:46- 33T and Crossover Possibilities

8:58- Advanced Holds

12:32- Phase 4's Safe Moves

15:28- Throws/Possibility from 66T

17:25: 236T Open Air Explanation

18:38- Chifu T, Running T, and Tenfu T

20:31- Ceiling Capitalization

23:04- Closing Remarks

Last edited by a moderator:

BlankOctober

Standard Donor
How do we all feel about her being in a spacing role? Are folks gonna play her the same as Kasumi and risk ginormous punishment? Discuss!

KingGhidorah

You see, I myself am more up in your face with whoever I pick up regardless of what type of character they are. Usually make it work too. However I see myself being just a bit more passive with Phase as I wish not to find myself in a world of hurt against someone knowledgeable of how she works or is naturally good. From what you showed off in your live breakdown I feel pretty confident in my abilities upon adding those things into my play. I appreciate you taking the time out to share your knowledge and input on the character. :D

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
33K is safe due to the knockback. So is Kasumi's. So you won't be punished for it. Good shit though man. :)

BlankOctober

Standard Donor
Thanks for the input guys! I was kinda confused about the 33K being safe or not, but let your response be known J.D.E.!

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Also, 46H is another advanced mid kick ceiling hold that does killer damage. I already posted in both the Kasumi & Phase 4 threads. Hopefully that helps.

synce

i already know it..all the P-4 player that will lose to throw punish, hate maling you and writing "fucking throw spammer"

No, if you try throw punishing P4 online you will be hi-counter hit even if the move is like -15

On the topic of online and P4, I wonder if she's even playable with DOA's shit netcode. The difference with high execution characters in other games is their netcode is good enough to keep them playable

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Thanks for the breakdown Blank. Phase-4 has a lot of shared moves with essentially the same attributes as Kasumi (such as 33K & H+K being safe due to pushback) though I can see her safety being a huge issue for her compared to Kasumi (and Kasumi is still pretty unsafe herself).

Anyways good shit for doing something like this dude instead of another combo video!

BlankOctober

Standard Donor
And that's why I say that a spacing style would benefit her. There are things that she has that will enable her to stay in your face, but that all depends on the risk you're willing to take.

Ken_Jammin

The input on the teleports aren't too strict they just can't be mashed. And there are a lot of situations where you can give up 5 points of damage and forgo doing 3 teleports. After spending a few days with her i got a lot better at them then i thought i would. I noticed fighting the comp trying to unlock her costumes that she blocks a lot, (although not as much as akira) so its clear TN does see her as a more defense/response character.

I like the design though, a quick cancel based character who can space and doesn't have to worry too much about DoA's hold game, its a very 2d fighter oriented approach. Its too bad the teleports don't do anything interesting mechanically to add any dimension outside of mix-up potential. Her play style while arguably not better than kasumi's is still unique enough to warrant the purchase if your looking for a character with a bit more flash imho.

There's something about playing a character with a degree of execution difficulty that makes them more fun to beat your friends locally with so i can see the arcade appeal. Its like that first time you finish off one of your friends in a close 5 round battle with a well place Izuna drop expert hold. The look on their face makes all the practice worth it.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I'm good with all her teleports and chaining teleport combos, but two moves leave me confused and fustrated: :P::+::K: and :P::6::P: are both able to lead into a teleport cancel, but I can never teleport cancel these attacks consistently:mad: some days it'll work, but most of the time, I can't do it....does anyone else have trouble with these two particular moves, because I can't be the only one.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
I'm good with all her teleports and chaining teleport combos, but two moves leave me confused and fustrated: :P::+::K: and :P::6::P: are both able to lead into a teleport cancel, but I can never teleport cancel these attacks consistently:mad: some days it'll work, but most of the time, I can't do it....does anyone else have trouble with these two particular moves, because I can't be the only one.
These are the only teleport cancels that are actual JF's. You need to input the P+K immediately after the subsequent move connects. It works like the "hit-throws" in VF.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
These are the only teleport cancels that are actual JF's. You need to input the P+K immediately after the subsequent move connects. It works like the "hit-throws" in VF.
Oh, I gotcha! I guess they're harder to perform because I've noticed that these two particular moves are much safer and quicker than her other tele-cancel attacks.

Zero Beat

In addition, the timing for the cancel is different between the moves. I have the cancel for :P::+::K: down pat, but to the :P::6::P: cancel seems tighter, mostly because the :6::P: portion has less startup than :P::+::K:. I often have to quickly double-tap to get the cancel to work. Still need to sit down one of these days and drill that into my muscle memory.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
In addition, the timing for the cancel is different between the moves. I have the cancel for :P::+::K: down pat, but to the :P::6::P: cancel seems tighter, mostly because the :6::P: portion has less startup than :P::+::K:. I often have to quickly double-tap to get the cancel to work. Still need to sit down one of these days and drill that into my muscle memory.
I tend to just avoid using the moves, or at least the tele-cancel part of them, and since most of my opponents I face online expect me to tele-cancel them, they'll usually hold and I'll throw punish them with either :4::6::F:, :4::F:, or :2::6::F:.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD