DOA5U Phase 4's Top 10 Move List

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
Since there was stated that having an collection of the characters most useful tools according to the other character forums could be very helpful, I decided to create a new thread for all discussions in terms of that.

Though it is not easy to make a commitment, here are my top 10:

:P:
- 9 frame jab that is good for out-poking opponents
- Offers good tick throw options (e.g. to :6::H+P:)
- Start up move for her mini strings like :P::P::2::K: as opener or :P::K: as good interrupt

:2::P:
- i12 low
- Life safer due to having the ability to stop a lot of offensive tools from opponents
- Neutral on normal hit

:6::P:
- Fastest mid (i12)
- Major counter-poking tool with good range
- Ducks under some highs
- Allround ender for juggles with it's follow up :K:

:3::P:
- Best start up for teleport-mixups
- Good counter poking tool
- Tracks and shuts down some evasive tools (e.g. Baymans tank roll)
- Very short block stun, which means it is almost safe on block (with fuzzy and buffered throw escape)

:P+K:
- Tracking mid punch
- Counters evasive stances and moves (e.g. Christies Jakheio, Brad Wongs laydown)
- Startup for teleport mixup in combination with it's follow up
- Teleport input ;)
- Causes a wall slam for wall juggles with it's follow-up :P:
- Launches when critical threshold reached

:H+K:
- Good close-range/mid-range counter poking tool
- Relatively safe due to pushback

:6::6::K:
- Quick whiff punisher
- Start up move for teleport mixup
- Causes a sitdown stun that also bounds

:8::K:
- Flexible juggle tool
- Usable for mid screen juggles as well as for wall juggles
- Start up move for teleport mixup

:6::H+P:
- Fast throw punishment tool (i7)
- In combination with :P: and :P::P:, it is the best tick throw tool (hard to react to)
- Offers unholdable :9::P::P: hit opportunity when the opponent gets up after getting grounded by it

:236::H+P:
- i12 launching throw
- Offers good juggle options
- Offers guaranteed stuff in ceiling (e.g. powerblow :4::[[p+k]]: & :4::P: limbo stun)

Last edited:

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
I was torn if I should add it or not, but in the end, I deceided no to do so because I personally feel that I'm not very successfull in using it except when I want to get a launch.

I mean, it it a great launching tool since it's a mid kick that is almost safe and does not cause a wall slam, but it also get's blocked a lot if the opponent is good at SEing because it's not that fast. And otherwise, I'm rarely able to get something out of using it, sometimes, I'm able to crush the opponents wake-up attempts, but yeah, that's it.

You may replace :H+K: with it if you want, in terms of usefulness, they're almost the same imo.

Last edited:

Tenryuga

I've added some additional nice-to-know information to :P+K:.

Thanks for you effort anyway :p

Mind to explain why you decided for 1K?

Aside from 2P its the only threatening low she has. Helps to open people up and get a response out of them. The veterans will usually SE your stun because they don't want to eat the free 6P so they will SE into block or fuzzy guard to avoid mids and throws. They cant fuzzy guard forever though because it doesn't defend against lows so sooner or later they will have to deal with getting hit by lows repeatedly if they are going to commit to fuzzy guard. NOBODY wants to eat chip damage over and over like that so they WILL try to do something about the low.

synce

Top 7
P - fastest teleports
6P - death stab
2P - good crush
H+K - good poke
2K - same
236T - hello ceiling
1T - same

3 more
4P - aka early CB
4K - much fast, very launch
66K - good hold bait

KING JAIMY

Mind to explain?
I think he means it under the condition that 66K hits. If it hits, it will give a sit-down after which a lot of people tend to hold. However, I think 66K is one of her worst moves.

Not too sure about the jab though.

Last edited:

Saber

However, I think 66K is one of her worst moves.
I actually think 66K is one of the very few actually useful tools she has, and one of her very few moves to actually start her offense since 66K into teleport means holding and eating a throw, or guessing between another stun or a bound. And if you miss her teleport, no problem, because the sitdown gives a good chunk of frame advantage which leads nicely into her launch throw or, if they don't SE fast enough, a 7K launch.

There are far worse moves than 66K. Her KKK and PPK string is useless outside of a wall juggle,1K is useless on its own, and if she didn't have the teleports, basically all of her 2-in-1s.

KING JAIMY

I actually think 66K is one of the very few actually useful tools she has, and one of her very few moves to actually start her offense since 66K into teleport means holding and eating a throw, or guessing between another stun or a bound. And if you miss her teleport, no problem, because the sitdown gives a good chunk of frame advantage which leads nicely into her launch throw or, if they don't SE fast enough, a 7K launch.

There are far worse moves than 66K. Her KKK and PPK string is useless outside of a wall juggle,1K is useless on its own, and if she didn't have the teleports, basically all of her 2-in-1s.
Sorry, I should've been more specific: I meant that 66K is horrible if you keep in mind that it's beyond terrible on block. I find - let's say - KK (not KKK!), 3P.P+K, P+K.P+K or 6P far more useful than 66K because those moves are quicker and harder to react to. Plus it's a better way of opening people up imo. 66K is so easy to predict and the punishment your opponent can land on you is harsh if they block. I suggest using it solely as a whiff punish.

Last edited:

synce

I was talking about 66K(P+K). You're virtually guaranteed some random hold when you hit the other guy with it, giving you a free throw etc. The only problem with the move is you can't spam it, but LR will change that >:}

P is in my list because PPP and especially P6P cancels are so beastly

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
1K is useless on its own

Why do you think 1K is useless on it's own? Startup is a bit slow, but when you use it raw, it's harder to react to and grant's you a nice 50/50 situation.

P is in my list because PPP and especially P6P cancels are so beastly

This will only work on opponents that do not to know that the 6P follow-up is high. Otherwise, your cancel get's easily blown by any 2P or 1P, since 6PP would get crushed and any other move you try to exceute would get ch due to starting from -9. Not saying it's not worth going for, though, why not always give it a try. I just know some players were it wouldn't end positive.

Tempest

I'll throw my 2 cents in here as well. I think Phase has plenty of solid tools that reward a player willing to take risks and make the right reads.

:P:
Fast poke that leads into several different followups. Obviously not safe and lacks a good mixup, but with proper free canceling you'll be able to fish for a successful counter and go into one of it's many teleport followups.
:2::P:
Excellent close range poking tool. Excellent tool to use for crushing high strings on block and to apply pressure after a free cancel. Against characters that lack a 12 frame move of their own, you can use this liberally to open your opponent up and attempt to bait a crouch or low hold. Unlike Kasumi's it is +0 on hit so you can be aggressive after it lands.
:6::6::P:
A good mid range whiff punisher that lets you teleport if the second hit of the string lands. Unfortunately you can 2p out of the second hit, so you'll have to be mindful using this on block against players that are familiar with the match up. Still a very solid mixup tool on counter hit so don't be afraid to use it where appropriate.
:3::K:
A safe spacing and whiff punishment tool. A very good tool to use when you have some frame advantage and aren't quite sure what to do with it.
:6::6::K:
A good gap closing tool that puts you into tenfu on block. Depending on how well your opponent responds to the tenfu mixup, this move can either be very situational or a main way to open your opponent up. Against a player with a good defense, this will always be risky, but will reward a good read. Against a patient opponent, sometimes going into tenfu and not using a followup is the best option.
:7::K:
Probably the riskiest move Phase has. If you mess this up a good opponent can free step behind you can ruin your life. Though most players will only launch or throw you if this whiffs or lands on block. However, unlike most character's 7k moves, Phase can follow up on hers for a lot of damage on counter. With good timing, you can beat out anything your opponent tries to do on wakeup (including wakeup kicks if you time it well) and launch them for very respectable damage.
:3::P::+::K:
Raw entrance into chifu. Chifu P is a safe neutral poke that is safe on block. Many players will mistake this for Kasumi's and try to throw you for it, in which case you can fuzzy guard and punish. Chifu P has very solid range and can be a good whiff punisher and pressure tool at the right distance so long as you are mindful of its recovery frames. The best use for it in my opinion is near a wall, where if it lands it will cause a wallsplat and let you followup guaranteed. Liberal use of Chifu p might cause your opponent to crouch, high hold or try to beat it out at range. When this happens you can go for chifu K. If chifu K lands on counter you can get nearly 100 points of damage off of one launch.
:6::6::H+P:
A 7 frame combo throw. If you win the button press (which you should most of the time, grind that timing out) you can go for a throw that's slightly more powerful than 6T, or you can teleport behind your opponent for a guaranteed 7k which will launch them high enough for an air throw juggle. You'll obviously need to be on point to do this continuously, but being able to throw punish for that amount damage can tilt the odds in your favor.
:2::3::6::H+P:
Your best throw for punishing holds. When used under a ceiling gives you access to all sorts of disgusting shenanigans. Also very good on stages with breakables, as you can modify the max damage combo to one that will get you to an interactable for even more damage.
:6::7::h:
A high punch expert hold and one of the best holds in the game in my opinion. Puts you back turned to your opponent, where you can immediately launch them guaranteed, or play the stun game for more damage. Since it guarantees a combo and not flat damage, it will do more damage than Leifang's high expert hold on normal hit. The reason I think this is especially good for Phase is that her 6p and 2p are faster than most character's options besides their neutral jab. Controlling your opponent's use of their jab with this hold will make them wary of using it and greatly adds to your neutral game pressure.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD