Phenomenal New Interview on DoA5LR

VentureBeat's games-focused channel GamesBeat has just posted the second part of an interview involving Team NINJA Creative Director Tom Lee, Director Yohei Shimbori, and Producer Yosuke Hayashi. We get a really solid discussion on game balance from Shimbori-san, Tom goes into the games portrayal of women and even GamerGate (in a truly eloquent way, no less), and Hayashi even drops a bit about the long-in-development Ni-Oh. I'll let you guys click through to the two-part interview below and then discuss in the comments.

Part 1
Part 2

Last edited by a moderator:
It's quite interesting to think that we could be getting new DLC modes ("maybe even adding additional modes.") to make up for the price.

I also noticed "Some players might think Helena is weak" :confused:

Really great interview. I always love getting answers from developers when it comes to the development of games, especially fighters.

Interesting read but what's this $25 upgrade business about? I thought if you owned 5U you got at least a compatibility update for free

It was a very good read & liked the details from the interview. I'm very curious about the additional modes & part of the $15 extra detail (I'm wondering what about the extra). I'm loving the details with allowing the best players to show off the game for high level perspective.

I think Team Ninja handles female representation is handle pretty well (not perfect and there are details I think they would need to work on when it comes to DLC choices) and gender equality does need work & improvements. I agree that everyone has their own taste when it comes to beauty or females, which can change by time & culture. DOA should have its own fantasy & presentation. I might take a look at their new IP Ni-Oh, which I'm glad their doing something new.

I remember when Alpha-152 has the one move while she was floating when pressing P would dive at the opponent tripping them & can do it multiple times which did get fixed in DOA5U. Not every fighting game will have perfect balance, but fighting games should mostly be about players knowledge & skill not how overly strong the character are when it comes to balance. I agree to respecting the character's uniqueness is the most important thing for DOA. Comeback mechanics is something that is about how its executed & how its handled. Focusing on balance along with examining opinions/feedback is proper way to go, I do hope for the best.

Maybe one of the most interesting interview ever done on the DoA5 series, for both the questions and the answers given: I really suggest to everyone to read both the parts!

"[...] just as it would be wrong to make it so a pro wrestler could never win against a ninja. "

I'm the only to read here an hidden reference to a past episode....? XD

Interesting read but what's this $25 upgrade business about? I thought if you owned 5U you got at least a compatibility update for free

For the owners of Xbox360 and PS3, you can get the LR changes to the game balancement through a free update. Even so, the possibility to use the new DLC characters and costumes need for you to buy a paid "Last Round pack" (the $25 element).

Even if the stages and the customization selection are an exclusivity of the current generation, maybe the new modes will be available for everyone (so old gen too) like the interview seems to hint talking of them included in the price for the updgrade.

Last edited:
That was surprisingly interesting. It makes me curious as to how they intend to go about balancing LR.

Nothing Found
Apologies, but no results were found for the requested archive. Perhaps searching will help find a related post.

Nothing Found
Apologies, but no results were found for the requested archive. Perhaps searching will help find a related post.

Thanks, fixed. The original links were linked to a version that showed both pages as one page. They apparently removed that ability (to probably increase Ad hits). So the links have been corrected to take you to Page 1 of each article.

Thanks, fixed. The original links were linked to a version that showed both pages as one page. They apparently removed that ability (to probably increase Ad hits). So the links have been corrected to take you to Page 1 of each article.
That's what I get for trying to save people clicks.

"The dissimilarity from REAL life women, situations and settings should be pretty apparent as soon as you start our game. And we feel most gamers in this day an age are sophisticated enough to make this distinction quite easily."

- a developer that acknowledges the fact that their consumers actually have a fucking brain.

Let's all try and act like he's not wrong.

This interview is fantastic. It's good to know they are thinking about the gameplay -- as I imagined they did -- I hope this will be reflected in LR's promotions etc.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD