Characters Practicing completing combo throws/holds

dawgpilez

Is it best to practice getting the timing and judging frames by doing training and putting the coms on fastest for escapes?

I pretty much never complete :2::F: ever. I've got to the 2nd stage a couple of times while being complete it a number of times on Fast level coms. :3::h: for some reason (probably from playing a specific Christie player in DOA4) I can complete almost without fail on com fastest level. But my favorite moves :214::h: and :3::3::h: and it's tank wheel variant... never get past the first attack. It would probably kill the skill required to complete the moves, but are their any visual cues or anything in the game beyond the near useless 'combo throw' popup that are either in the game or user made that would be of use? I figured the coms would be good, but it's about as difficult to judge these things as it is trying to complete Akira's combo training.

This is especially important for :2::F: b/c Bayman lacks a crouching throw that isn't a combo and that can give some major damage considering the ever popular trend of low holding to get out of strings (which I still don't really do).

Is it best to practice getting the timing and judging frames by doing training and putting the coms on fastest for escapes?
Oh man, you're human, we all are. Nobody can catch the 1st frame every time to make sure that the combo throw is unbreakable. Of course, training with fastest escape will helps, but I won't spend too much time in that course. Thus, breaking a combo throw is not a bad thing for Bayman.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
It's all about getting used to it, you will eventually just do them out of muscle memory. And even if you are broken Bayman is left at at least +3 on all his Combo Throws/Holds (better than Leon in any case who is -5 at best).

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
I would definitely suggest practicing the just frames if only so you don't get into bad habbits. when I started fighting better players learned that I've been doing things half a second too early and now I have to undue years of muscle memory.

dawgpilez

Definitely helped a little bit. I really need to practice punch advance holds b/c that would be even less I would have to practice in timing the combo holds.... next to -1% of them I complete.

It really doesn't seem very necessary to do the combo holds or throws for bayman, from what I've seen. I've been enjoying frequent :6::F: and even :6::6::F: all day. And that tank roll throw is so much more useful (I complete it maybe 50% of the time, but it really should be higher as I would net probably 30% more dmg even round given how much I use it). I haven't tested it, but :4::6::F: might not have the ridiculous range as it once had in DOA4. I don't really use, though once it's broken, I think it puts the opponent further away from me, which is fine by me b/c even if I have frame advantage, the opponent (probably due to lag) always gets a hit in first or we trade. In DoA4 I could buffer it when I was trying to back step. Now I do back tank roll instead.
Everyone spams :P::P:. I don't... as it just seems so ineffective as everyone either hi or mid punch holds or holds low. The better people block, which is why I was interested in practicing combo throws/holds as I'm more likely to get them off on the better players. I'm guessing it's b/c few people play grapplers and fewer still do that gamble combo dmg over combo strings that won't be reset.

That said, unless I play with you guys or some random, god-like onliner that will bother to play with a shrub like me, all of this technical talk goes out the window when players are just spamming. I suppose this is my time to get my combo strings down even though I've never been the Bayman player to be able to do strings successfully. I always break things up with a throw or hold. I think only Smash Bros, SF, Garou, and KoF:2006 were the only games I can do strings in. I might do better in this game if instead of holds, everyone had parries and the game was just a tad slower. I get so caught up in options or diminished options and attack properties that sometimes I forget to breathe...

Last edited:

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
you're mixing up your notations just so you know. :H+P: is for throw :h: plus a direction is for holds that said BLASPHEMY! the DDT is life. its like Bayman's Izuna utilizing it is core for Bayman players due to its absurd damage and advantage on break. his forward offensive holds are indeed powerful, but not as usefull as his DDT imo. against other grapplers you're really going to want to hold off on rushing with the :6::6::H+P:

when your tank roll throw gets broke i would highly suggest :6::K:, if they press buttons 9/10 this will knock them right in the head

:4::6::H+P: is a bit weird, as a raw throw it honestly sucks imo, but its at the perfect range to get someone teching usually catching them with a hi-counter at that. id recommend using it on someone who keeps teching your low throw follow up after the backbreaker.

dont focus on strings as Bayman, your main objective is to scare people into holding by putting them into stun. also keep in mind not many can recognize/react to the first hit of a string which usually means your fairly safe doing on more so something like :6::P::P:

dawgpilez

edited my post for clarity. Thanks for letting me know.

I always do :6::K: out of habit created from DOA4 though I loved :3::K: which is still in the game, but is made more useful wit the tank roll (I think it's the roll that goes forward and the wheel that goes to the side).

I've started doing :P::6::P::2::K: more since I seem to never do I believe is :6::P::P::2::K: or whatever combo that ends with that stomp like his :2::K:. I need to do :1::P: more, but opt for :4::P::2::K: b/c it trips people up. I always end up doing the mach punch of :1::P::P: which never works. I need to learn to strain my inputs instead of completing the string as I would in command training.

Basically (lo)grab more, struggle less. Tank wheel more, be scared less. Adv hold more, spam hi-mid attacks less.

The throws and attacks that come out of tank roll are an aspect I've forgotten existed in this game. Idk why they made it a requirement for me to have to tank roll into a downed throw to get more or less free extra damage along with, I feel, fixing the time it takes to grab someone versus waiting for them to land. I only remembered it when a guy that was whooping me picked Bayman and started using it as to say "...you are completely missing the point of Bayman."

It's made me think about how much more input conscious Bayman is in this game than in DOA4.

The throws and attacks that come out of tank roll are an aspect I've forgotten existed in this game. Idk why they made it a requirement for me to have to tank roll into a downed throw to get more or less free extra damage along with, I feel, fixing the time it takes to grab someone versus waiting for them to land.
You don't like the epic and unique :3::P+K::H+P: ?
DOA5 is almost existing for 2 years lol. You're playing DOA5, and that ground throw is a great tool/buff for Bayman, one of the main differences/advances with the DOA4's version.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
I've had much issue with that throw due to it's finicky nature but I think I just found away to fix that. I need to test first.

Regarding the 3k version unless you do it perfectly right the opponent techs and you whiff the grab, but Bayman has his 46T which catches that. So what if instead of doing the throw we just rolled and did 46T after the recovery, the opponent isn't going to be able to tell we didn't throw they'll just automatically do it to avoid the throw. Theoretically speaking 46T should work on any ground follow up

dawgpilez

You don't like the epic and unique :3: :P+K::H+P: ?

Just like fish dicks...love em. Sometimes it looks silly (big redhat doing the Sonic spin dash) but the unique neck snap and that inverted single leg lock are works of art.

But sometimes it's silly that I HAVE to do that to get extra damage. I know the single-leg crab is a combo throw that can yield more dmg, but the leg lock isn't a combo grab and doesn't more dmg sans broken combo throw (if that makes sense), plus cool points. I guess they were saying that you don't have to do the tank roll, but you pretty much have to. :6::P+K: is easier for me to do than diagonals (...stupid SF with charge diagonals....). :3::P+K:
makes more sense of course. Just something to get used to. The input is so close to tank wheel that sometimes I end up doing that or the mega club, i.e. :P+K:, which is my favorite :bayman: single button attack. I don't do it enough... (it doesn't hit on downed opponents in this version right?)

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
It's all about getting used to it, you will eventually just do them out of muscle memory. And even if you are broken Bayman is left at at least +3 on all his Combo Throws/Holds (better than Leon in any case who is -5 at best).

Bass is -10 :(

:(

not-funny-animated-gif.4723

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
Bass is -10 :(

And + 100 on the ground throw pick up, seriously fuck that thing

Do you mean "Regardless" ?
If not, then it must be something wrong with your timing. Unless you're not doing the right combo, the untechable time of :3: :K: is enough for a guaranteed ground throw.

I can assure you I am, and that's because I rarely do combos the. The more time , I stun them wait for a hold if they don't then I stun them again to the red and launch which SHOULD allow me the guaranteed grab but for some reason the game is insistent I do those exact combos. It's a pain in the ass

Just like fish dicks...love em. Sometimes it looks silly (big redhat doing the Sonic spin dash) but the unique neck snap and that inverted single leg lock are works of art.

But sometimes it's silly that I HAVE to do that to get extra damage. I know the single-leg crab is a combo throw that can yield more dmg, but the leg lock isn't a combo grab and doesn't more dmg sans broken combo throw (if that makes sense), plus cool points. I guess they were saying that you don't have to do the tank roll, but you pretty much have to. :6::P+K: is easier for me to do than diagonals (...stupid SF with charge diagonals....). :3::P+K:
makes more sense of course. Just something to get used to. The input is so close to tank wheel that sometimes I end up doing that or the mega club, i.e. :P+K:, which is my favorite :bayman: single button attack. I don't do it enough... (it doesn't hit on downed opponents in this version right?)

It actually doesn't provide any extra damage it looks cooler and puts you in a better position after words. after the 2T you're left right on top of the opponent and anything they do is going to be difficult to react to, even trying to backwheel will get you clipped if they wake up kick immediately however the rolling T puts you bout a foot away allowing you to control the wakeup much better or avoid it all together

The input is so close to tank wheel that sometimes I end up doing that or the mega club, i.e. :P+K:, which is my favorite :bayman: single button attack. I don't do it enough... (it doesn't hit on downed opponents in this version right?)
If you mean the FT :P+K: in DOA5, then yes, it's still hit and FT in some situations. However, it's not guaranteed and easy to prevent by tech-ing now cause Team Ninja decide to decrease the untechable time in DOA5U.
The only guaranteed FT set up for Bayman at this moment is :3::P+K::H+P: (standing throw version), :8::P:. It will give you +17 frame advantage thought.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
And + 100 on the ground throw pick up, seriously fuck that thing

Maybe online. But offline he's only +13/+9 or +6 if it whiffs. Doesn't guarantee anything from him besides pressure, and it does neither damage nor combo throw. A 50/50 guess still means that he is just as much in risk as the opponent he is picking up.

crapoZK

Standard Donor
I want to learn the Zack shove throw combo link time. EVERYBODY GETS OUT OF MINE, so I have to do [Duck/Sway/Normal] 6T instead. Teach me how to combo throw (Dougie)?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD