Questions regarding Tourneys and Commute

GovTD

I really want to start going to more tourneys, but Gat Damn these things just aren't cheap. Even if you can find a cheap shared-room hostel or something of the like for a day or so, the prices of travel and gas, food, venue fees, it adds up really fast. I just have a couple questions if anyone's willing to hear me out.

First off, how do people do any more than one, maybe two tournaments a year? Does anyone do more than one tournament a year? If such, what's your trick with keeping up with the costs? Do you pool-up resources with a couple other guys? Do you just have really good paying jobs?

Regarding tournies that aren't within local driving distance: do you guys even bother to leave your region? Bus and plane tickets and expensive as hell, but it's gotta beat driving for five days straight just to do a three day event in Dallas, right?

I guess what I'm looking for is just any amount of insight from anyone who's been to a tourney or two before, because I'd like to start going to tourneys; but they're all so far away, and its really got me shocked just what it costs to do this sort of thing.

So thanks in advance to anyone who's up to discussing the finer points of getting to tournaments.

SilverForte

I will say that it is expensive, especially if you plan on traveling out of state and such.

When I was a competitive pokemon tcg player, me and my dad would go to GenCon once a year for the big pokemon events that were held there. It was the only out of state tourney we'd go to per year cause of the costs and all, everything else I went to in state. Having specific religious requirements made it more difficult for us cause we had to have a hotel with a connecting chute so we didn't carry in the public domain on saturday, among other things, like not being able to write or handle money on saturday either. We'd also have to pack all our own food due to not being able to eat what they had at the venue.

But I digress, the point is go to what you can, and if you can find others to share expenses with, all the better. Save up for the big events you want to go to, and if you can only go to one per year, make it count. Just make an effort

GovTD

I will say that it is expensive, especially if you plan on traveling out of state and such.

When I was a competitive pokemon tcg player, me and my dad would go to GenCon once a year for the big pokemon events that were held there. It was the only out of state tourney we'd go to per year cause of the costs and all, everything else I went to in state. Having specific religious requirements made it more difficult for us cause we had to have a hotel with a connecting chute so we didn't carry in the public domain on saturday, among other things, like not being able to write or handle money on saturday either. We'd also have to pack all our own food due to not being able to eat what they had at the venue.

But I digress, the point is go to what you can, and if you can find others to share expenses with, all the better. Save up for the big events you want to go to, and if you can only go to one per year, make it count. Just make an effort
Well, I had Summer Jam in my sight, I should have enough money by the time that all starts up, the only problem I'll have then is the fact that I'll still be 17 by then. I guess my only option might be to have my friend's brother take me, but then I'll also have to take my friend and cover that cost as well... Damn, I can see why people are reluctant to go to more tourneys. This stuff takes a lot of planning and budgeting just to get there.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
It's all up to what you have as your priorities in life. School/Family should always come first, even though I personally didn't do that with school for some small periods during college. I however did finally graduate in 2008, and have been able to land an average job.

Including all DOA5 & 5U events from 2012 to now, I've gone to SJ 2012 (Philadelphia, PA), Game Launch (San Francisco, CA), GUTS 2012 (Boston, MA), NEC 13 (Philadelphia, PA), WB 7 (Philadelphia, PA), Final Round 16 (Atlanta, GA), ECT V (New Jersey), SJ 7 (Philadelphia, PA), The Fall Classic (Raleigh, North Carolina), NEC 14 (Philadelphia, PA), and The Official 5U Tournament (Ichigaya, Tokyo, Japan).

Of those, seven I drove to, four I flew to.

The driving for most of my event travels is around 3-6 hours of driving at 17mpg each way, which is around $100-140 in travel costs. I typically made up the difference by rooming with friends I made on the forum and in past events, averaging around $100, sometimes $60, other-times more than $100. To save on registration costs I pre-register for the events as it generally gives me a $10-20 savings depending on the event, and it helps the organizers know what to expect for each game turnout.

The flight costs I tend to keep a look out on airfarewatchdog.com as I can set it to alert me when it finds deals. Additionally, the average time period for the best airfare deals are approximately 52 days before the flight days. Flying in on Thursdays and leaving on Mondays generally save a couple $100s as airfare is cheaper on the mon-thurs time frame.

So yeah, I've spent some dough this past few years in traveling to support the game, but I generally counter balance it by not buying things I don't need, like eating out, beer, games, and other non-essentials.

Have you ever heard of a player called FRED CAMPBELL ? you should find him, send a message, He traveled from coast to coast for over 8 years. he can tell you everything you need to know about traveling for tournaments.. All the while he was working part time at a pizza shop making less than minimum wage. But he did it.and still paid his bills. I know traveling can be scary and seem expensive but with the wright strategy and contacts, it Can be done.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD