Rachel beginner's guide.

CrudeRaven

What I mean is that yeah Rachel is super easy but she's not really my style, I know her general set ups and stuff but I don't use her online, I'd be better off using someone I'm stronger with like Kasumi, Naotora, etc. I use her on occasion tho since I love her yurlungur and her character as a whole.

And yeah Rachel is a rushdown type grappler, she's not that fast but she not slow either, she's probably the fastest out of all the grapplers including Tina. She's scary af to deal with, she can give a 9 framer a run for their money, shit. XD
If i recall correctly she's THE slowest. Maybe tengu or bass but shes up there. Tina is much faster in every way. However her stuns are very deep. as deep as Helena's i believe so i guess if you get a hit in you can make it count.

Lulu

If i recall correctly she's THE slowest. Maybe tengu or bass but shes up there. Tina is much faster in every way. However her stuns are very deep. as deep as Helena's i believe so i guess if you get a hit in you can make it count.

Actually Rachel is roughly the Same speed as Tina.... at least she was six monts ago... I don't know about now.

She's definitely the fastest out if all the grapplers outclassed only by Hayabusa. However every other grappler has a i16 O:h: while Rachel's is i17...... I think that makes a difference. :)

CrudeRaven

Actually Rachel is roughly the Same speed as Tina.... at least she was six monts ago... I don't know about now.

She's definitely the fastest out if all the grapplers outclassed only by Hayabusa. However every other grappler has a i16 O:h: while Rachel's is i17...... I think that makes a difference. :)
Okay I think im misunderstanding something... When you say "grapple" do you mean throws?

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Okay I think im misunderstanding something... When you say "grapple" do you mean throws?
Grapplers are the more throw oriented characters. She's not as throw oriented since she lacks combo throws, but she makes up for it with her OHs, and the 41236T throw and air throw that's a big part of her combo game.

CrudeRaven

Grapplers are the more throw oriented characters. She's not as throw oriented since she lacks combo throws, but she makes up for it with her OHs, and the 41236T throw and air throw that's a big part of her combo game.
She has 2 OHs though. Even Ein has one. I just never consider her to be a grappler.

I mean shes strong but I would say that the throws that make her seem like one are just set ups. Basically as if Pai's throws went to the gym. (And nothing is guaranteed except 41236T of course)

Lulu

In a general sense.... yes but its more complicated than that, every characters as 4 Throws Minimum (in Some games the minimum is 2). Technically the most defining feature of Grapplers in DoA is Damaging Throws..... but some are defined by the speed and versatility of their Grabs.... this inadvertently makes Characters like Ayane and Kasumi more throw oriented than Bass or Leon. :(

CrudeRaven

In a general sense.... yes but its more complicated than that, every characters as 4 Throws Minimum (in Some games the minimum is 2). Technically the most defining feature of Grapplers in DoA is Damaging Throws..... but some are defined by the speed and versatility of their Grabs.... this inadvertently makes Characters like Ayane and Kasumi more throw oriented than Bass or Leon. :(
Imo :Mr. Strong::nyotengu::mila::leon::lisa::tina::bayman::hayabusa:These are the only grapplers in the game. (was unsure about rose and lei fang...)

Lulu

Imo :Mr. Strong::nyotengu::mila::leon::lisa::tina::bayman::hayabusa:These are the only grapplers in the game. (was unsure about rose and lei fang...)

This is exactly DoA's problem.... some seemingly non-grappler type characters have throws so good it makes you wonder: "Why doesn't Bass have that ?" Tina has it the worst, I only consider her a Grappler because shes got the 1 Frame Faster throws that only 3 other characters have..... but other than that, Its not uncommon for Tina players to wonder why even non-grapplers seem to have better throws.

I mean seriously, I'd take Kokoro's or even Marie's Throws over Tina's any day....

The Ninja's (not counting Hayabusa) seem to have the best throws for whatever reason. Its not fair :(

Last edited:

CrudeRaven

My biggest problem is that the grapplers throws are on good if the opponent counters. For tina to only have good throws
on counter but have bad strikes is very upsetting. Fast throws but still..

Lulu

My biggest problem is that the grapplers throws are on good if the opponent counters. For tina to only have good throws
on counter but have bad strikes is very upsetting. Fast throws but still..

Yeah thats the other thing with some grapplers.... Even if they do have great Throws..... how are they suppose to land them ?

Granted a part of playing grapplers is playing defensively in order to encourage punishing unsafe moves.... which is fun but that only accounts for a Small Portion of the throws they have.

They aren't given Strikes good enough that would make faster opponents want to Guard more often so that they can use their other throws.... this seems to affect Nyotengu the worst.

I'm not saying we increase the Grapplers Striking speed but some less Predictable Guard Breaks that are +0~+3 on block would go along way to encourage more throwing.

As it is right now, if you want to get more Throws then you're better off trying: :ayane: :christie: :bradwong: :helena: :kasumi: :phase4: :kokoro: :marierose: :rig: :pai: and :zack:.

Luckily this problem doesn't affect al the Grapplers: :hayabusa: :mila: :bayman: and :La Mariposa: have no Problems getting throws out there.

CrudeRaven

Yeah thats the other thing with some grapplers.... Even if they do have great Throws..... how are they suppose to land them ?

Granted a part of playing grapplers is playing defensively in order to encourage punishing unsafe moves.... which is fun but that only accounts for a Small Portion of the throws they have.

They aren't given Strikes good enough that would make faster opponents want to Guard more often so that they can use their other throws.... this seems to affect Nyotengu the worst.

I'm not saying we increase the Grapplers Striking speed but some less Predictable Guard Breaks that are +0~+3 on block would go along way to encourage more throwing.

As it is right now, if you want to get more Throws then you're better off trying: :ayane: :christie: :bradwong: :helena: :kasumi: :phase4: :kokoro: :marierose: :rig: :pai: and :zack:.

Luckily this problem doesn't affect al the Grapplers: :hayabusa: :mila: :bayman: and :La Mariposa: have no Problems getting throws out there.
The part about tengu literally makes me want to cry. Was thinking of mainning her but she's wayyyyy slower than rachel. How are you gonna give someone a i14 jab? Thats sadistic against most character. I was just bodied by an overly aggressive Hitomi. It was embarrassing.
But then again. seems like most chraracters have problems they need to deal with...

Lulu

The part about tengu literally makes me want to cry. Was thinking of mainning her but she's wayyyyy slower than rachel. How are you gonna give someone a i14 jab? Thats sadistic against most character. I was just bodied by an overly aggressive Hitomi. It was embarrassing.
But then again. seems like most chraracters have problems they need to deal with...

The key with Nyotengu is to have Intimate Knowledge with her Crushes and to make use of her Spacing.

:7::P: is a pretty good Backflip thanks to its Follow up tackle... the Tackle in unsafe but really that's not a problem..... it exist to punish would be pursuers.

I also like to keep people out with :3::K:.... I like the length on this Kick, it doesn't track so I try not to abuse it.

Her defensive options are good..... its her Offense where things begin to fall apart, specifically she seems to be even more Susceptible to ":h:old Escaping" way more than anyone else...... the Stuns are good, but the Recovery on her moves are so long that people seem to easily get away with early :h:olds. But thats for CB Setups..... I haven't had a chance to see if they can get away with not getting Thrown with :4::F: or :1::F: on Reaction (Thank god her Command Throws were carefully considered)..... infact thats one of the things I wanted to improve on and I even came up with a Training Exercise for it. :)

CrudeRaven

The key with Nyotengu is to have Intimate Knowledge with her Crushes and to make use of her Spacing.

:7::P: is a pretty good Backflip thanks to its Follow up tackle... the Tackle in unsafe but really that's not a problem..... it exist to punish would be pursuers.

I also like to keep people out with :3::K:.... I like the length on this Kick, it doesn't track so I try not to abuse it.

Her defensive options are good..... its her Offense where things begin to fall apart, specifically she seems to be even more Susceptible to ":h:old Escaping" way more than anyone else...... the Stuns are good, but the Recovery on her moves are so long that people seem to easily get away with early :h:olds. But thats for CB Setups..... I haven't had a chance to see if they can get away with not getting Thrown with :4::F: or :1::F: on Reaction (Thank god her Command Throws were carefully considered)..... infact thats one of the things I wanted to improve on and I even came up with a Training Exercise for it. :)
Well im not sure if that benefits me... I too space, and my defense is my personal BnB but my offensive game is as strong as pai's throws... expect without the guarantees. (My worst nightmares :helena::sarah::lisa::alpha152::christie::jacky: fighting them is actual hell on eath...)

Lulu

Well im not sure if that benefits me... I too space, and my defense is my personal BnB but my offensive game is as strong as pai's throws... expect without the guarantees. (My worst nightmares :helena::sarah::lisa::alpha152::christie::jacky: fighting them is actual hell on eath...)

Yeah all those guys will give Nyotengu problems..... thats why you gotta figure out just how evasive her Crushes are.

The good ones I know of are her: :8::K:, :6::K:, :7::K: and her :6::P+K:.

I actually saw her :7::K: go over a wake up kick once..... she knows how to tuck away them hurtboxes.

Lulu

I always resort to :2::P::P:, :2_::H+K::K::K:, and :7::K:. I cant use :6::P+K: at all. Weird timing afterwards.

:2::P: is pretty Quick but the Reach means you kinda have to be all up in your opponent's face to crush anything.....:bayman: :La Mariposa: & :nyotengu: have something other grapplers Don't.... MOBILITY !!! :) I mean just watch Lisa players sometime.... they use her :7::P: to avoid having to deal with any close range shenanigans. I'd save :2::P: as last Resort type of move when there's literally nothing else that would save me.

Nyotengu's :2::H+K: is pretty good though.... it can and should be used from further away, due to its speed.

I don't know why you aren't getting a good return on her other crushes though... :7::K: & :6::P+K: work so well for me almost to the point I can abuse them..... the only one I've never managed to get away with alot is :8::K:.

CrudeRaven

:2::P: is pretty Quick but the Reach means you kinda have to be all up in your opponent's face to crush anything.....:bayman: :La Mariposa: & :nyotengu: have something other grapplers Don't.... MOBILITY !!! :) I mean just watch Lisa players sometime.... they use her :7::P: to avoid having to deal with any close range shenanigans. I'd save :2::P: as last Resort type of move when there's literally nothing else that would save me.

Nyotengu's :2::H+K: is pretty good though.... it can and should be used from further away, due to its speed.

I don't know why you aren't getting a good return on her other crushes though... :7::K: & :6::P+K: work so well for me almost to the point I can abuse them..... the only one I've never managed to get away with alot is :8::K:.
:7::K: was always more of a keep away move to me. When your'e both at low health and want to keep them on their toes. Id do it like four times then run up and grab. (Or use :6::6::K: due to its amazing range)
:6::P+K: however just has weird timing to me. I cant get it right and even if i did i have no good follow ups for it.
:8::K:... I didn't even know it was a crush tbh. Either that or I never acknowledged it as one. Her wings are always in the way so I cant even tell whats high or mid anyway, let alone if shes crouching or something...
Dear team ninja...
Please fix my tengu's wings... Thanks.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD