DOA5LR "Relax Ayane-chan!" - Ayane Casual Discussion

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
It just irks me that I will possibly be penalized for my choice in costume on my favorite character.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
The rule is stupid as hell and wasn't even that well thought out. Ayane's C16 is on the ban list, and there's pretty much nothing wrong with the outfit for instance.

On the other hand, it is pretty hysterical that Jyakotu's costume got banned lol =P.

ShinMaruku

I just want to say I hope people see the irony of the banning of this when you have some really brutal shit being done to the characters. God forbid you see a titty. Then again puritans were never known for anything good. :p

Solaris_Noid

Doesn't really bug me since I use the white ski hat/dress one mostly anyway, but I still think this is a little too much. I think most people would have a little common sense what costumes are approprate.

...or not.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
Even if I'm not on stream at Final Round, if I can select Aloha Ayane, then I'm using the costume. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. At lease NorCal isn't participating in the soft ban. I support their decision!

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Question I have is why is the aloha outfit banned from tournaments?

Why is there a costume ban for DOA5LR?

This is a movement that was discussed by several members of the community to try and help turn around the image that has plagued the franchise. DOA has always been known for its over-sexualized females and just that alone has pushed people away from even trying the game. Sex Appeal in the DOA franchise will never go away but we, the community, want people to take it seriously and started the costume ban at offline tournaments to force people to focus more on the gameplay aspect of the game. This is a soft ban and is at the discretion of the TO running the game at the event. However we HIGHLY encourage people to not use the suggested costumes on stream for something like Top 8.

Simply put, certain people are insecure about their own game.

Not West Coast though, naw, you can pick whatever outfit(s) you want in tournament play.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
*sighs* My Ayane has hit a roadblock. I'm kind of stuck with her. I mean, I can hold my own, but I still feel like my Ayane isn't reach its full potential. I don't really know what direction to take her. I hear so many different things about how to use her, but I don't know which way is the "right" way so to speak.

LunaXii

*sighs* My Ayane has hit a roadblock. I'm kind of stuck with her. I mean, I can hold my own, but I still feel like my Ayane isn't reach its full potential. I don't really know what direction to take her. I hear so many different things about how to use her, but I don't know which way is the "right" way so to speak.
Same here I keep getting told that I have to play her mid-range and when I do people get upset and say that I can play close range and then it starts to get on my nerves and confuses me.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
I would not advise listening to random players when it comes to playing this character.

Ayane can fight comfortably up close, and very well at that. However, she is a monster once she establishes what strike range(s) she'll be occupying.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
I guess the big question here is what is ideal for Ayane in terms of combat? I know she can fight close range, but she has such superior spacing tools that I like to take advantage of them and have opponents come to me. So it gets sort of confusing on knowing what is the ideal way to play her is. With my other characters, it seems pretty clear what I'm supposed to be doing, but Ayane is like my wild card. Sure, she has "gimmicks" with her flips, spins, and BT strikes, but it seems no matter what way I use her, it's not seen as the "right" way.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
The "ideal" way of playing this character is to forcefully establish what you really want to do. Whether that is to play lame (turtle), occupy one/several strike ranges offensively or defensively, play hit n' run, play a throw based game, a strong okizeme game, etc. You have to force it, nothing happens unless you make it perfectly clear to your opponent that you are going to give them something to worry about. You can have all the best range tools in the world, and they won't mean squat if you haven't given your opponent any reason to respect anything. The offense always comes from a knockdown with this character.

When I playing this character, I can comfortably switch between two modes of play since I am so well adept with her. That is to a play strong neutral game, and to play an annoying range game. However, my kind of range game is to occupy mid range distance(s) that allow me to safely bait the opponent into making mistakes while they are just right outside of both my and the available neutral strike range. People that have played me know how difficult it is to deal with this against me.

Another thing I've adopted from a DOA veteran recently, is the Offbeat style, from Offbeat Ninja (the real one, not that fake). Which is to play an extremely lame/turtle style that will literally not allow the opponent to do "anything" to you. Because you are not near them. When done right, you are putting a crazy amount of pressure on the opponent because they will get impatient and rush in.

I said when done right because you have to figure out and learn your buttons for this style of play, otherwise it is not effective. Your buttons should be covering all the bases of approach from the opponent and should be put out almost perfectly as keepout. And of course, you should have a pretty good life lead. You are to play with a life lead and timer as a tool if you play this style (then again I use the timer as a tool anyway).

So I have three styles I can switch into when I want.

LunaXii

I don't know I find it more useful when I actually fight, other really good Ayane's and work from there. Also I'm the same way too I like to switch up between mid-range and close range in a fight

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD