Resident Evil

Argentus

The tank controls were there on purpose, they were supposed to fill you with suspense as you can't just casually dodge attacks like nothing.

It's what made Resident Evil what it was, the classics will always be the best imo, I really prefer fixed camera + tank controls and it'll be great to get that again in RE2make.

Tank controls are tolerable in top down classic style but not in over the shoulder.

It doesn't make it tense, just tedious, at least for me.

I still feel like Outbreak perfected the classic formula. the originals bored me but Outbreak fixed most of the issues.

-multiple and shorter scenarios so the back and forth item retrievals aren't as mind numbingly tedious

- numerous characters with different stats and abilities for solid replay value

- countless unlockable, mostly more characters

- only four inventory slots, so unlike the classic games you had real inventory limits

- the option to play with regular non tank controls (this is key)

- random events making playthroughs interesting

- Infection meter which makes things tense since you have to hurry

- the AI actually being smart enough to split up abs go get emblems on their own

Etc etc.

Last edited:

Darkslay

Got bored of 4 because of super clunky controls and tedious combat. Villagers are just "kneecap, kick, repeat", no cool enemies (at least as far as I got), and tank controls are never fun.

Didn't help that i didn't play it till years after release and it hasn't aged well.
Like @UpSideDownGRUNT says, part of what makes RE4 so great are it's primitive controls, they make the perfect balance between action and suspense. RE4 also has the second best monster in the series right next to the Crimson Heads, the Regenerador. There isn't a single person, and I mean not one, that wasn't atleast slighty scared the first time they saw one of those fuckers.

Funny you say a game that's been ported more than 7 times to an arrange of consoles and devices hasn't aged well. The facts, speak for themselves.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
By today's standards RE4 is horrendously outdated now (though anything from Code Veronica or before is borderline unplayable). Rev 2 & RE6 are more up-to-date in terms of functionality and design (and RE5 to an extent, though certain aspects of the game can show age). I feel that RE4 is overrated, and not as fun as later entries. If we're talking about story, I found RE1 & RE2 better.

Darkslay

By today's standards RE4 is horrendously outdated now (though anything from Code Veronica or before is borderline unplayable). Rev 2 & RE6 are more up-to-date in terms of functionality and design (and RE5 to an extent, though certain aspects of the game can show age). I feel that RE4 is overrated, and not as fun as later entries. If we're talking about story, I found RE1 & RE2 better.
I strongly disagree. RE4 is a master craft in its own medium, that something is methodic and planned out doesn't mean it's outdated, I can agree on anything prior to RE4 though. The thing about RE4 and 5 is that they feel like arcade games, this is more emphasized with the inclusion of Mercenaries. RE6 is a carbon copy of Gears of War gameplay-wise, and Rev uses assets from Dead Aim with a better engine.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
just for reference do those who dislike RE4 also dislike Deadspace? it also used the same play style where you walked slow and had to aim for specific body parts.

Argentus

Like @UpSideDownGRUNT says, part of what makes RE4 so great are it's primitive controls, they make the perfect balance between action and suspense. RE4 also has the second best monster in the series right next to the Crimson Heads, the Regenerador. There isn't a single person, and I mean not one, that wasn't atleast slighty scared the first time they saw one of those fuckers.

Funny you say a game that's been ported more than 7 times to an arrange of consoles and devices hasn't aged well. The facts, speak for themselves.

Didn't make it to those things.

This.

Its really hard for people who don't already love it because they played it when it came out, to get into it.

I tried it back in 2009 or so, then again when it was ported to 360. I just couldn't get into it.

5 is the same thing but has co op which makes anything fun.

I strongly disagree. RE4 is a master craft in its own medium, that something is methodic and planned out doesn't mean it's outdated, I can agree on anything prior to RE4 though. The thing about RE4 and 5 is that they feel like arcade games, this is more emphasized with the inclusion of Mercenaries. RE6 is a carbon copy of Gears of War gameplay-wise, and Rev uses assets from Dead Aim with a better engine.

Not quite.

4 and 5 were essentially just the classic games with a different camera and less puzzles.

6 fine tuned the Operation Raccoon City gameplay (which came out between 5 and 6.), which was a non primitive version of 4 and 5.

Revelations was a middle ground.

Overall, as far as actual gameplay, it feels like ORC and 6 were what 4 and 5 were TRYING to be (straight action shooters), but the Devs didn't know how to make a game without tank controls.

just for reference do those who dislike RE4 also dislike Deadspace? it also used the same play style where you walked slow and had to aim for specific body parts.

I got bored of dead space as well but for different reasons.

Much better controls but after the first couple hours everything was just way too predictable. It lost all tension.

Darkslay

I will agree on RE4 having a very, veeeeery slow start, the game underequips you and launches you right into the action, to new players that can be an issue, but after that, everything starts to pick up, RE4 has probably one of most fun, addicting loadouts in any action game to date, I can say the inventory system is dated, but everything else that's there, is just perfect. That's really just the mantra and creed of RE4, ''you get used to it''.

RE4 shouldn't have even been a good game, I'm serious, it is a goddamn miracle the way the game turned out, there were 4 confirmed prototypes known to exist, all almost completely different from each other. This was all also in the crisis Capcom had in the 2000s were they reportedly had over a hundred million dollars worth of losses in sales, Shinji Mikami was forced to take the director's spot for the game and there was no room for mistakes, the game shipped as a Gamecube exclusive on 2004 even though the PS2 version had already been announced to come out the following year, some serious shit must have went down at Capcom for that to even happen.

RE4 is a collection of set pieces, assets, characters and puzzles that shouldn't really work together, but lo and behold, they do, wonderfully in fact. That's the game's strongest point, it never runs out of ideas, it always puts you against new, one time only obstacles and enemies. If you ever get the chance to play the game again, give it another go, deal with its slow start and stick with it, I can assure you, you won't regret it.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
As for Dead Space, my qualm with the game is that by about chapter 3 or later, you've pretty much seen all that there is to see and the game starts to become incredibly repetitive, thus undermining the experience. As a horror game it's still very solid and has a great atmosphere, but the gameplay started to get repetitive in a way that kinda killed off the initial awe from the first couple of chapters. I hope that doesn't happen to RE7. Also, RE6 is nothing like Gears of War, at all.

Last edited:

KokobaeBeAKilla

I will agree on RE4 having a very, veeeeery slow start, the game underequips you and launches you right into the action, to new players that can be an issue, but after that, everything starts to pick up, RE4 has probably one of most fun, addicting loadouts in any action game to date, I can say the inventory system is dated, but everything else that's there, is just perfect. That's really just the mantra and creed of RE4, ''you get used to it''.

RE4 shouldn't have even been a good game, I'm serious, it is a goddamn miracle the way the game turned out, there were 4 confirmed prototypes known to exist, all almost completely different from each other. This was all also in the crisis Capcom had in the 2000s were they reportedly had over a hundred million dollars worth of losses in sales, Shinji Mikami was forced to take the director's spot for the game and there was no room for mistakes, the game shipped as a Gamecube exclusive on 2004 even though the PS2 version had already been announced to come out the following year, some serious shit must have went down at Capcom for that to even happen.

RE4 is a collection of set pieces, assets, characters and puzzles that shouldn't really work together, but lo and behold, they do, wonderfully in fact. That's the game's strongest point, it never runs out of ideas, it always puts you against new, one time only obstacles and enemies. If you ever get the chance to play the game again, give it another go, deal with its slow start and stick with it, I can assure you, you won't regret it.

I thought that the beginning of the game was perfect. Leon only goes in with his trusty handgun, hoping that things will go smoothly, only to be faced with an obstacle he's never faced before, without the tools to properly overcome it. I feel just the same as Leon does when he's just thrown in there, and I think its fantastic.

KokobaeBeAKilla

Tank controls are tolerable in top down classic style but not in over the shoulder.

It doesn't make it tense, just tedious, at least for me.

I still feel like Outbreak perfected the classic formula. the originals bored me but Outbreak fixed most of the issues.

-multiple and shorter scenarios so the back and forth item retrievals aren't as mind numbingly tedious

- numerous characters with different stats and abilities for solid replay value

- countless unlockable, mostly more characters

- only four inventory slots, so unlike the classic games you had real inventory limits

- the option to play with regular non tank controls (this is key)

- random events making playthroughs interesting

- Infection meter which makes things tense since you have to hurry

- the AI actually being smart enough to split up abs go get emblems on their own

Etc etc.
Outbreak is one of my favorite RE games, but I have to disagree with you on a few points. First off: The AI in REO are basically as mentally retarded as Sheva. Also, the tank controls work gloriously in the classic RE games, sans REO, since turning speed was horrendous. And, the actual unlockables, besides the few extra costumes and characters and difficulty modes, weren't all that great. Just concept art and stuff.

Argentus

Although I hate that first village.

Its like okay I've been running around this angry mob for like ten MINUTES COME ON AM I MISSING SOMETHING?!

That first encounter probably sources it for me, I admit.

Also I hated the inventory system. I gotta play tetris with my equipment? REALLY?!

I'm gonna move on to a different game.

Operation Raccoon City, my other favorite re game. I heard a lot of hate on it but never any reasons, and most people I met who actually played it, really enjoyed it.

Its the only re game I found myself going back to replay again and again and again.

I loved it partially because it was like Left 4 Dead: RE Edition.

One of my major complaints in the re series is that enemies are never a real threat. You can just casually stroll past the two zombies in a room or the single hunter and have more than enough ammo.

But in ORC? Hordes and hordes of enemies that are all bullet sponges and you CAN get infected and run out of ammo very easily and be forced to pick up another weapon.

I admit three things though

1) cover system is total crap.

2). Versus mode is an unbalanced mess.

3). Certain classes have useless abilities in story mode. (Demo and infiltrator)

Anyone else actually play it? Thoughts?

Also I loooooved the characters. And the Tyrants

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I'm not a huge RE player, but my favorite one was the revelations one on 3DS, something about the horror and scary atmosphere really won me over. The rest of the games never really caught my attention, and I've never really played any others besides Revelations.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
i played ORCs a bit, but the shooting just felt really bad. you say that they got closer to normal the third person .shooter and while that may be true that just put it comparable to others that were so much better than it

RE4 was its own thing and while good its not comparable to something like Gears.

David Gregg

RE 4 for the Wii will always be my favorite f the series. The only annoying part was the whiny president's daughter.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
I'm not a huge RE player, but my favorite one was the revelations one on 3DS, something about the horror and scary atmosphere really won me over. The rest of the games never really caught my attention, and I've never really played any others besides Revelations.
Play Revelations 2 buddy, you won't regret it!

Need convincing? @panicitstylor

David Gregg said:
RE 4 for the Wii will always be my favorite f the series. The only annoying part was the whiny president's daughter.

She needs to be shot.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD