Senran Kagura Series

Banana56

Trophy list was leaked:
http://psnprofiles.com/trophies/3447-SENRAN-KAGURA-ESTIVAL-VERSUS

Many people are speculating that since the trophy list leak is in English it's possibly hinting that western localization is coming sooner than we thought. "Sooner" being a vague term here of course. XD

Yay, hopefully we get it by the end of this year.

Ayane announced as paid DLC!!! :)

http://gematsu.com/2015/03/senran-k...ad-or-alive-ayane-battle-vixens-character-dlc

There are also 3 Battle Vixen characters (never heard of the game).

Can't wait to see these characters.

Fun fact: Battle Vixen was actually a game Marvelous worked on and is the inspiration to the Senran Kagura series :)

David Gregg

Stumbled upon the OVA on YT when I was trying to find some Vita gameplay (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC5R__23Krk NSFW!!!). I ended up watching it. Going in I knew it was going to be heavy fanservice but I did not expect actual nudity (just chest area). Here's my summary of it (p.s. a summary from someone who doesn't knowing any Japanese. XD).

OVA begins with Yumi and Yozakura in the middle of some shinobi training during a snowstorm. I have to admit this was an epic scene (animation is always top drawer with this series) and it made me want a (more serious) anime series including all of the new schools. After they come in from their fight, the other 3 girls are doing their own thing. Murakumo is drawing manga, Shiki is talking on the phone with her friend, and Minori is sleeping possibly dreaming about sweets. Minori opens an envelope that I think is a water park pass and Yumi starts being stern with them (maybe saying how they're not training adequately? Hey Yumi you know how skillful you need to be at drawing manga?) Anyway they have a dispute that somehow leads them to settling it by playing janken (i.e. rock-paper-scissors) with…their bare breasts?! It’s Shiki vs. Yumi and Shiki wins. I was shocked more than anything that actual SK nipples were being shown that I didn’t try understanding the technicalities of the game or how you could actually play it with breasts. The other girls minus Yumi are happy that Shiki won (I’m assuming it’s to go to a water park as we will see later).
Next scene is the Crimson Squad looking tired walking down the streets. They order food which is a large circular dough thing that I always see in Asian animes but never know the name of. Anyway they find out they won a golden ticket (pass to the water park?) and squeal like little girls while spinning in a group circle. Girls…
Next scene cuts to the Hebijo academy where Ryobi is bitching at Ryona who's enjoying it of course. Ryona then tells the other girls about an idea/vision of her being on all 4's woofing like a dog and men are gathering throwing dog toys at her? Miyabi is blushing so you know Ryona is being embarrassing as hell. Suzune then appears like a boss probably saying something wise and badass-like. Next scene all 4 are trying to pull Murasake out of her room (ok this was hilarious especially if you're familiar with the character).
Next scene we see the water park sparkling and the Gessen girls run in there. I think Shiki is trying to convince Yumi to enjoy it and Yumi just keeps pointing to everything saying "Baka". Then she realizes the last thing she is pointing at is the Hanzo girls (not a bad judgment call actually). Next thing you know Crimson and Hebijo girls walk in as well.
We then cut to the changing room scene and apparently no SK game or anime can go without Katsuragi fondling Asuka’s breasts at least once. Asuka is just like “F*** it I’m at a water park this bitch isn’t getting to me today”. Expect a bunch of bare chest shots in this scene btw.
We then cut to a scene where the girls are swimming, eating, having a good time. All is well until all 4 leaders end up together and there is a dispute of sorts that leads to them playing shinobi chicken? Idk...they end up in fundoshis though with an Asian jacket that holds their breast in bandages (not sure what this is called). All the schools are in the water except crimson and Homura is scolding Yomi who legit looks 9 months pregnant laying by the side of the pool b/c she ate too much (from now on only healthy bean sprouts for you, kid). Haruka pulls a pill out of her scientific bag. Maybe a laxative to help her pass her food baby? Never actually figure out what it is. Anyway Yagyu imagines Hibari’s bare @ss in a fundoshi if she were the one on Ikaruga's shoulders instead of Asuka and suffers a nosebleed. When the match starts forget about all that shinobi training they look like incompetent, intellectually disabled kids trying to push each other off their opponent’s shoulders. Then Kumo's mask gets knocked off and she freaks out to the point where she ditches her group.
As the game continues everyone steals the opponent’s headband at the same time (which I didn’t even realize they had on their heads until that point tbh). They then have a discussion (probably to decide who won) and Yumi says something that cuts to a scene where Sayuri and all three of Asuka’s cousins (all back turned so you can’t see their faces) are staring at a fire. Granny says an incantation that apparently calls enemies to appear at the water park. The leaders all decide to work together and pull out their respective weapons. Then there's a fight scene. Minori goes to transform but it doesn't work for her or any of the girls. They all act like they’re outnumbered which is BS considering there’s 20 of them with each individual girl normally slaying dozens of enemies at a time but w/e. As the enemies close in who else but Daidouji and Rin come in to kick ass. Yumi then says something that leads the girls to enter a new version of frantic mode where they're all…yes you guessed it…nude. Ryona is watching the girls in the background and finds a bottle supposedly that Haruka left behind and drinks it. Ryona becomes a giant...a nude giant…emphasis on nude. The girls scold her and start attacking her but of course being the masochist she is, she’s enjoying every second of it. Then bitch starts going Attack of the Titans on the enemies and smashes them with her hand. Hikage and her nipples then show up and then Ryona explodes which leads her to shrink and everyone is like let's leave. Yeah subtitles would help…
The four Gessen girls apologize to Yumi for some reason (maybe that they dragged her to the water park?) and Yumi is being all noble and says something that leads to them being happy. We then cut to a sunset like any cheesy generic anime ending.
So yeah…

Last edited:

David Gregg

I've been playing the vita version of this game and damn I haven't had this much fun with a game in a while. Unfortunately since I can't understand Japanese, story mode makes no sense but I get the general idea (festival that brings back dead shinobi for a while, Asuka's granny has a younger sexy form, etc...).

Tons of stages both old and new. They look very nice, are all bigger and more explorable which is great. There are these towers you have to find and destroy in many stages in order to unlock girls' heart missions so it forces you to explore these fun stages.

No more separate school "homes" or unique school chapters. There's 8 chapters and all 25 girls are included in no particular order (you could play a Hanzo girl in one mission and then the next could be a Hebijo girl). Heart missions are back though for all 25 girls which tells a small story unique to each of them like SV. The best news is that you can use any girl to play any mission in both story AND heart mode (the only catch is you must first beat that mission with the original girl). Also there are now 3 difficulties: easy, normal, and hard (for both story and heart missions).

In terms of gameplay, the girls' speed now greatly varies. Shinobi like Asuka and Kafuru are very fast while girls like Yomi and Hanabi are veeeery slow. The movesets however are very similar to the girls' SV counterparts. They also still have frantic mode, transformations, and 3 ninja arts (although now for L+O you don't need to have critically low health to use 5 scrolls). There are also times when another girl will be your ally and you can perform a tag attack with her. Honestly I forgot about this mechanic as soon as I learned it at the beginning but it is essentially like a ninja art and it doesn't use scrolls iirc. Cutscenes are now minimal for ninja arts and clothes destruction cutscene has been shortened which helps keep the flow of battle. In terms of the new girls: Renka is very quick and her drum beats have great range. Kafuru (my new favorite) is also quick with great projectiles and her dolphin provides both heavy moves and transportation for her with certain moves. Hanabi has powerful light moves but is painfully slow. Her fireworks give her some range and her charged heavy attack is fantastic but she requires a more defensive approach. Ryoki is pretty fast and uses her gun as both a sword and to shoot enemies with and she can throw her shield as a heavy attack. Then there's Jasmine (I haven't been able to play her older counterpart Sagyu). So the downside is she doesn't have a transformation meaning no opportunity to fully refill your health. However this woman is so OP. Close range is amazing when she whacks you with her pipe. She also has great long range and can move so quickly with her charged heavy attack that her enemies can't see her coming.

Multiplayer mode is fun especially since you don't have to play online or ad hoc (random CPU are assigned). Since the options are all in Japanese I've only been able to play one mode so far (where you just kill your opponents) but it's still fun.

Changing room has more clothes as well as color changes for outfits (4-5 color variations for most) and you have more options to differ what the girls wear in their normal getup vs when they're transformed. Also each of the 20 original girls have their unique swimsuit they wore in the OVA. There is also a diorama mode which I haven't really used since it's difficult to navigate however it's exactly like the PS4 except only 3 girls instead of 5 can be viewed. You can see them in actual environments or in front of a flat picture background that doesn't change. Girls' facial positions, body posture, and icon expressions (like an exclamation point, steam, floating hearts, etc...) can a be manipulated. You can move them anywhere in a given map. There are also special effects you can add to environments like lighting.

Music is still high in quality but I wish there was an option to choose old themes for the girls. Also I want the main theme from SV back as it was so epic. XD

Graphics have improved since SV. Girls no longer have those thick outlines, hair physics are better as well. My only true con for this game is the framerate. I knew it would be 30fps going in but it can get choppy at certain points. Usually when you're versing 2+ shinobi and there's a lot of projectiles flying around. After a while I have noticed it less and it has never impacted my gameplay. Still a disappointment though and I hope a future patch can improve it. From what I've heard, PS4 always runs at a consistent 60 fps with no issues.

Last edited:

David Gregg

@David Gregg, I had no idea you were such a big and devoted fan of Senran Kagura. XD Look at that enthusiastic wall of text...

Lol idk about "devoted" but it's a fun enough series that I spent time to help others decide if they want to buy it now or wait until it's localized. Unfortunately people judge the series by what they see on advertisements (reminds me of another game I know ;)).

David Gregg

Have been continuously playing this game and it's so much better than SV. Makes me forget I can't play my PS4 atm. :D

Diorama mode is also a lot of fun there's so many possibilities. XD

2015-04-13-040247.jpg

2015-04-13-045210.jpg

2015-04-13-051221.jpg

2015-04-10-013535.jpg

2015-04-10-013736.jpg

2015-04-10-013037.jpg

2015-04-10-194621.jpg

2015-04-11-010003.jpg

And a NSFW for all you Yagyu/Hibari fans. XD
2015-04-13-042259.jpg

Banana56

Estival Versus coming to North America this winter
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...sus-ps4-ps-vita-in-north-america-this-winter/

Also Daidouji and Rin have been released

Ayame from Senran Kagura: New Wave coming out in July
SKEV_05-28-15_001.jpg

Ayane from DOA coming in August
l_55141dcdb045e.jpg

Sonsaku, Kan-u, and Ryofu from Ikki Tousen in September
l_55141dd217682.jpg

The girl with the red ribbon (likely Kagura) will come out in October and I'm guessing Naruku will release sometime with her too
Senran-Kagura-2-Crimson-Burst-3.jpg

UpSideDownGRUNT

Idk much about the western release of SV or SV in general.

But I have a feeling the nude KO's and grope mode and stuff of EV will probably be heavily censored or outright removed for the western version lol

Juihau

XSeed/Marvelous USA has built a great reputation with the series' fans, bringing over the games as close to the Japanese version as possible (the only differences being that they don't mention the characters' ages anywhere and, obviously, language). In addition, the team has one very vocal opponent of censorship in general, who outright threatened to quit if Burst (the first game released outside Japan) was censored in any meaningful way. The only way they could conceivably get away with censoring the game without getting torn to shreds is with a statement from ESRB that indicates the changes were absolutely necessary for the game to not get an AO rating.

Marvelous EU is a bit more dubious, since they removed the dressing room subtitles from SV without giving any indication before the game's release, but they seem to be trying hard to redeem themselves with SK2.

Kodachi

Standard Donor
Estival Versus coming to North America this winter
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...sus-ps4-ps-vita-in-north-america-this-winter/

Also Daidouji and Rin have been released

Ayame from Senran Kagura: New Wave coming out in July
SKEV_05-28-15_001.jpg

Ayane from DOA coming in August
l_55141dcdb045e.jpg

Sonsaku, Kan-u, and Ryofu from Ikki Tousen in September
l_55141dd217682.jpg

The girl with the red ribbon (likely Kagura) will come out in October and I'm guessing Naruku will release sometime with her too
Senran-Kagura-2-Crimson-Burst-3.jpg
wow so many DLC characters, wasnt expecting Naraku or Kagura
I hope we see a Trailer or something for Ayame tomorow at E3

Banana56

For those wondering how the Ikki Tousen girls who will be in SKEV fight like

wow so many DLC characters, wasnt expecting Naraku or Kagura
I hope we see a Trailer or something for Ayame tomorow at E3

Yeah hopefully we get a good trailer and seeing Ayame would be great too. Also hope they give details on preorder specials too (if they even are any)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD