Simplified Lei Fang Beginners Guide

Yurlungur

Note: This is a w.i.p

Lei fang is a very defensive character, she is at an intermediate level and requires a bit of patience to use. If you are one of the few people who are extremely good with reads you will be extremely rewarded using this character. She also has extremely good range pokes and is able to fluster the opponent. In order to use her correctly you need to master her sabakis and advanced holds.

Notable pokes:
  • 2h+k = A very long traveling low, good at any distance and low profiles

Get off me tools/Keep Out:
  • 1P+K = Good against whiffed wake up kicks. Sway motion and can charge.
  • KK = good pushback, helpful for keep away game (variants are PPKK / 3PPKK)
  • h+k = travels a bit of distance and can crush most things
Combo Videos
simple
credit goes to @866AiN999

advanced version
credit goes to @EMPEROR_COW

Unshu and You
This is one thing you're going to rely on if you use lei-fang, it is a very quick and effective parry. You can use this to fluster the opponent and really punish mashers. Unshu beats Highs and mid punches.

Entrances into Unshu:
  • 4p+k(raw entrance)
  • ppp4// pp6p4
  • 9p4
  • 7p4
  • 3p4pp4
  • 1p4
  • 64p4
  • 1kp4
  • 2p+kp4
  • (unshu)p4
Attacks from Unshu:
  • p = standard quick poke from out of stance, nothing special just something to annoy your opponent
  • k = Quick kick, can cause some stun
  • 2h+k = Her ever faithful tessa attack. Very good for actually opening up from a low good reach. Don't abuse this.
  • 2kp = A quicker version of 2h+k with less stun, much safer. Can add punch for further mind games.
  • T = Sometimes the opponent will stop as not to get hit or will try to hold, they're free to a throw
  • p+k = This is something that will give you a lot of stun, somewhat slower then the other attacks.

Last edited:

NightAntilli

Unshu only beats high and mid punches, unfortunately.
Which is great against either poke or punch heavy characters like Kasumi, Christie, Sarah, Helena, Kokoro, Eliot, Hitomi... It does require skill though. It's not something you just throw out randomly.

Gurimmjaw

I been trying to use Lei Fang but I am finding it extremely difficult to apply pressure or do any sort of mix ups.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Well, I mean, that's kind of the character. Sneak in OHs and throws. :v

EDIT: That's in addition to strings with 2H+K, of course.

Last edited:

NightAntilli

Leifang is not that great at applying pressure with attacks. The pressure needs to come from somewhere else, which is her defense.

Kris Emery

Note: This is a w.i.p

Lei fang is a very defensive character, she is at an intermediate level and requires a bit of patience to use. If you are one of the few people who are extremely good with reads you will be extremely rewarded using this character. She also has extremely good range pokes and is able to fluster the opponent. In order to use her correctly you need to master her sabakis and advanced holds.

Notable pokes:
  • 2h+k = A very long traveling low, good at any distance and low profiles

Get off me tools/Keep Out:
  • 1P+K = Good against whiffed wake up kicks. Sway motion and can charge.
  • KK = good pushback, helpful for keep away game (variants are PPKK / 3PPKK)
  • h+k = travels a bit of distance and can crush most things
Combo Videos
simple
credit goes to @866AiN999

advanced version
credit goes to @EMPEROR_COW

Unshu and You
This is one thing you're going to rely on if you use lei-fang, it is a very quick and effective parry. You can use this to fluster the opponent and really punish mashers. Unshu beats Highs and mid punches.

Entrances into Unshu:
  • 4p+k(raw entrance)
  • ppp4// pp6p4
  • 9p4
  • 7p4
  • 3p4pp4
  • 1p4
  • 64p4
  • 1kp4
  • 2p+kp4
  • (unshu)p4
Attacks from Unshu:
  • p = standard quick poke from out of stance, nothing special just something to annoy your opponent
  • k = Quick kick, can cause some stun
  • 2h+k = Her ever faithful tessa attack. Very good for actually opening up from a low good reach. Don't abuse this.
  • 2kp = A quicker version of 2h+k with less stun, much safer. Can add punch for further mind games.
  • T = Sometimes the opponent will stop as not to get hit or will try to hold, they're free to a throw
  • p+k = This is something that will give you a lot of stun, somewhat slower then the other attacks.
what does BT mean in the 2nd combo video?

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
You can have my combo listings. :v You can just take the rest from what I posted in the top 10 moves thread.

It's raw text though. I wrote it like two months ago in notepad and never got around to finishing up the actual guide part. :v

Parry Combo
9KK PP6PP (F, SL, L, W)
9KK 46P (F, SL, L, W, M, C, H, SH)
9KK KH+K (F, SL, L, W, M, C, H, SH)

Mid Kick Hold Combos

3P 64P KH+K 6K 9KK 46P (F)
3P 64P KH+K 6K PPK2K (F, SL, L, W)
3P 64P KH+K 3PP4P 46P (F, SL, L, W, C, H)
3P 64P KH+K 9KK 46P (F, SL, L, W, C, H)
3P 64P KH+K 3PKK2K (F, SL, L, W, C, H, SH)

Wall 214T/Mid Kick Hold Combos

3P 64P 6PP 33PKKK
3P 64P 6PP 3PP6PP

These are the dumbest combos. 33PKKK does more damage, but it will only work on male characters, Christie, and Sarah. For the other females, you have to do 3PP6PP.

Juggles

Wallslam

3PP6PP
33PKKK
BT 2PPP
46P

33PKKK is more damage, but 33P is slower, so after some wallslams, you'll be too slow. Generally, though, it will work. After K, 4K (and string variants) and 7P+K (no powerblow) wallslam, 3PP6PP works. After 46P wallslam, 46P again. If you somehow wallslam with 7K, 2PPP.

Generic launcher, but it's high. Doesn't wallslam, so that's a plus.

Level 1

9KK 3PP6PP (F)
9KK 3PPK2K (F)
9KK 46P (F, SL, L, W, M, C, H)
9KK KH+K (F, SL, L, W, M, C)
3P4PP (F, SL, L, W, M, C, H, SH)
9KKK (F, SL, L, W, M, C, H, SH)

If you're near the wall, use the 46P ender. If you're not, use the KH+K ender. For super heavyweights, do 9KKK on walls and 3P4PP otherwise. For featherweights, do 3PPK2K if there's no wall and 3PP6PP if there is. For featherweights and heavyweights, there's a trick. If the other guy isn't slow escaping or holding, you can backdash a tiny bit, then 8K. This lets you do 9KK 3PPKH+K for featherweights and 9KK KH+K on heavyweights. This will never work. Don't do it.

Level 2

9KK 3PP6PP (F)
9KK 3PPKH+K (F)
9KK PP6PP (F, SL, L, W, M, C, H)
3P4P 2P2P2K (F, SL, L, W, M, C, H, SH)

For superheavy weights, do 3P4P 2P2P2K when there's no walls and 9KK 46P against walls. For featherweights, do 3PPKH+K if there's no wall and 3PP6PP if there is. For super lightweights, lightweights, and welterweights, you can do the same gimmicky thing as in level 1 where you can backdash 8K to launch if they don't slow escape or hold. This lets you do 3PP6PP instead of PP6PP for 2 more damage. Again, this is really dumb and you should never attempt this in a real match.

Level 3

6K 9KK 3P4PP (F)
9KK 9KK 46P (F)
9KK 3PP6PP (F, SL, L, W, M, C)

For Critical Burst 8K or HiCH 8K, you can use the 3PP6PP juggle ender for heavyweights and 6K 8KK 3PP6PP for featherweights. For superheavy weights, it's the same as level 2. For featherweights, you can do 6K 9KK PP6PP if 6K won't wallslam. If it will, do 9KK 9KK 46P. And you can do that gimmicky backdash 8K thing again for heavyweights if they don't slow escape or hold to get 3PP6PP.

Pretty much the same as 8K. Slightly better juggles but the launcher itself does a tiny bit less. Not a big deal. Mid, and wallslams.

Level 1

9KK 3PP6PP (F)
9KK 3PPK2K (F)
9KK 46P (F, SL, L, W, M, C, H)
9KK KH+K (F, SL, L, W, M, C)
3P4PP (F, SL, L, W, M, C, H, SH)
9KKK (F, SL, L, W, M, C, H, SH)

If you're near the wall, use the 46P ender. If you're not, use the KH+K ender. For super heavyweights, do 9KKK on walls and 3P4PP otherwise. For featherweights, do 3PPK2K if there's no wall and 3PP6PP if there is.

Level 2

9KK 3PP6PP (F)
9KK 3PPKH+K (F)
9KK 3PP6PP (F, SL, L)

For superheavy weights, do 3P4P 2P2P2K when there's no walls and 9KK 46P against walls. For featherweights, do 3PPKH+K if there's no wall and 3PP6PP if there is.

Level 3

6K 9KK 3P4PP (F)
9KK 9KK 46P (F)
9KK 3PP6PP (F, SL, L, W, M, C, H)

For superheavy weights, do 3P4P 2P2P2K when there's no walls and 9KK 46P against walls. For featherweights, you can do 6K 9KK PP6PP if 6K won't wallslam. If it will, do 9KK 9KK 46P.

3P+K

It's a mid punch. Unholdable, wallslams, looks kinda dumb. If they hold it, you're gonna eat a raw 12f throw if they react fast enough. Includes the string P+Ks (P2PP+K, 33PP+K, etc).

Level 1

BT PP4P KH+K (F, SL, L, W)
BT PP6PP (F, SL, L, W, M, C, H, SH)
BT PPKH+K (F, SL, L, W, M, C, H, SH)

Use PPKH+K if you're not near a wall. If you are, use PP6PP. Use BT PP4P KH+K for featherlights when you're not near a wall.

Level 2

BT PP4P 3PP6PP (F)
BT PP4P 46P (F, SL, L, W, M, C, H)
BT PPKH+K (F, SL, L, W, M, C, H, SH)

If BT PP4P or PPKH+K would wallslam, do PP6PP instead.

Level 3

BT PP4P 3PP6PP (F)
BT PP4P 46P (F, SL, L, W, M, C, H)
BT PPKH+K (F, SL, L, W, M, H, SH)
BT PP4P KH+K (F, SL, L, W)

Basically the same as level 2 stun, except you can do PP4P KH+K if you're no where near the wall on welter and lighter. Technically, you can do PP4P KH+K at the specific range where only the H+K part wallslams. It'll even do 3 more damage. The range is dumb, though. Just do the level 2 combos.

EDIT:

Also found this. It's not done, though. I didn't get to 6H+K, 9KK, and H+K and 7P at very specific ranges (basically all her low crushes).

Crushes

2P
15f low punch. 0 on NH. -4 on block. At least it's crouching from the first frame. It's not a very good 2P, but it does have uses. If someone uses a string that has a high in it, doing a 2P to interrupt it is probably the safest bet. You don't want someone to CH you out of a crush that takes a bit too long to start crushing.

1P
17f mid punch. -12 on NH and NH. Stuns on CH. Probably the most useful high crush. Also crushes mids. Both 1P and 1PP are unsafe, but you can delay the second P for a very long time make it fairly difficult to punish as well as making it only -11.Also transitions to Unshu stance. Once they stop trying to throw 1P, you can try going for 1P4 into Unshu and try to continue mixups.

4P
18f high punch. Crushes highs, technically. It's so hard to use as a crush that it's usually not worth it. Very good in the Pai matchup, though, 'cause 4P will go under Pai's P if you're at neutral frames (+-0). 4PP is safe and 4PPP bounds on hit. Follow up the bound with dash 3PPKH+K. If 4P hits, you get mixups since it leaves you back turned and stuns for 24f on fastest stagger escape.

46P
13f mid punch. -12 on block. Knockbacks on hit. Really fast and does a ton of damage, especially on close hit. It doesn't crush mids as far as I know, but it's pretty good at crushing highs. I hear a lot of praise for this move, but frankly, I think this is the her least useful crush. -12 and no follow up means that you're eating a 10f throw. You know what's a 10f throw? Gen Fu's 214T reset throw. In theory, though, if you get a HiCH 46P against the wall, you can get over 120 damage guaranteed, which is amazing. It is a really good crush, but I think she has better options.

18f mid kick. Goes under everything. It's amazing. -12 on block but it has a follow up... which is -15 on block. Stuns deep on NH and launches on CH. This will crush so many mids, it's just unbelievable. Easily one of the best crushes in the game.

1P+K
30f mid punch. -3 on block. Moves her back a lot and crushes highs and a lot of mids. Really good at avoiding wakeup kicks. Gets you out of a lot of pressure. Block Gen Fu's 3P? 1P+K, no problem. Only thing is that the startup can be CH thrown. That's the one thing that makes it not as good something like 66K to disrespect after you do something negative. Still, it moves you back far enough that they'd likely have to dash up to you to throw you and if they're too late, they'll get hit.

3P+K
18f mid punch. Just like 66K, it goes under pretty much everything. Which one you use depends on what you need to crush. Here's the thing. If someone blocks this, you die. -15 back turn. That means you eat a backturn combo. If someone knows what they're doing, you could be eating 80+ damage very easily. Even with that, though, it's still a really amazing crush.

2H+K
20f low kick. Goes under highs. Stuns on NH for a bit, so it's quite useful for regaining pressure. If you're trying to use this as a crush, no one is ever gonna block it. It would be hella ballsy for them to do a string, then stop and block low just to bait your 2H+K when you have so many good crushing mids. That said, it's -18 on block.

BT P+K
25f mid punch. -5 on block. You can charge it to stay in a high crush state for longer. Sitdown stun on hit, so it's pretty nice. It knocks them away fairly far, though, so you don't really get much outside of mixups.

EDIT:

Anti-Leifang Tech: Stop doing strings and letting me get free counter hits when I crush. :v I giggle every time. Don't do strings against Leifang and don't do strings against Gen Fu. Normally crushing a single strike gives a normal hit. You only get a strike counter hit against strikes if you beat something out in speed. Recovery of strikes cannot be counter hit. Why do people get stunned by Gen Fu 3P and Leifang 1P? 'Cause they don't know the matchup and think it's okay to do strings when it's not. I'll just go under the first hit of a string and counter hit the second hit. Whenever a Leifang launches you with 66K, you should be thinking, "Damn, I fucked up." The threat of a crush should be scarier than the crush itself. What makes good crushes so important is that they force respect and force the opponent's pressure to be necessarily weak and stringless to avoid being CH crushed. If you get CH crushed, the person who crushed you didn't do something right. You did something wrong. Also, Leifang - Eliot is 6.5-3.5.

Last edited:

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I'll be back & forth in the Lei Fang community threads from now on. I lost a bet to a friend & now she is an offline character with Kasumi (& a few others). I'm going to download this guide. Thanks. I've picked up on her basics already. Looking forward to seeing how I can use her, the only Kung fu fighter that isn't a ninja :p.

Yurlungur

I'll be back & forth in the Lei Fang community threads from now on. I lost a bet to a friend & now she is an offline character with Kasumi (& a few others). I'm going to download this guide. Thanks. I've picked up on her basics already. Looking forward to seeing how I can use her, the only Kung fu fighter that isn't a ninja :p.

I didn't even do the guide properly bleh, well i'm happy this helps

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I mean it gave me insight on what type of tool set she has. The most trouble that having right now are maximizing with juggle damage, looking for guaranteeds, & learning of the hold for guaranteed damage. I also confuse my launchers (some of them)

I'm a man of my word so I'm going to play her. I know how good she is just didn't have the mindset on playing her. I also need a legit fit ti fight in :p

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Well, if that's what you need, my post basically covered all of that. The rest is forcing them to respect your negative frames by crushing them. :v 1P+K maybe -3 now, but that doesn't mean they can push buttons~ Or block a string where you know a high or mid is coming and cruuuush~

Also important setups I didn't mention:

Unshu T 64P 3P
Stance OH into mixup between 8K, 66K, 236P and 214T.

3H 6K
Mid parry into stun game. Your mixups are pretty bad, so it usually worth doing this instead of going for the launch with 9KK.

Stun 64P 66K
High launcher. No point doing 8K unless they're at threshold or you're near a wall.

Other than that, just memorize the juggles (I'm fairly confident that my list is optimal or fairly close to optimal) and take a look at the top 10 moves thread.

phoenix1985gr

3H 6K
Mid parry into stun game. Your mixups are pretty bad, so it usually worth doing this instead of going for the launch with 9KK.

You either wanted to say that her mixups are pretty bad, so it usually NOT worth doing this instead of going for the launch with 9KK.

or

mixups are pretty good, so it usually worth doing this instead of going for the launch with 9KK.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Well mixups are bad in the sense that it's hard to open someone up and enter stun game. There's no way for Leifang to easily open someone up (outside of bad tick throws) if the opponent just plays defensively. Maybe I should have used the word pressure instead. Once she has them in stun, her stun game mixups are still bad, but at least it's playable 'cause your high option is really strong (since 64P guarantees a 3P to further stun or 66K to launch). Most of the time when I stun someone as Leifang, it's 'cause I parried something.

phoenix1985gr

You didnt understand me... the phrase mixups are pretty bad, so it usually worth doing this instead of going for the launch with 9KK. contradicts itself... Unless im getting it wrong you re saying that she has bad mixups (kinda agree) but you prefer to go for 6k instead of 9kk

edit: so what i meant is you either think her mixup is pretty good and you prefer the 6k, or bad and you go for launche the way you worded it on your first post got me confused

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD