Slow Escaping/Stagger Escaping

Drake Aldan

I've been trying to wrap my head around this one for a while.

It's said that when you get put into a stun, you should be attempting to slow escape (instead of mashing out the hold). Against some players, that works with some success, but others seem to use attacks that are "guaranteed" (i.e. I can't slow escape fast enough) and I end up feeling like I've wasted my energy.

So when do you slow escape? It doesn't seem to work all the time, so what situations is it best for?

(Also, I've been slow escaping by holding :h: and rapidly inputting directions. Sometimes this causes me to accidentally throw out a hold... Is there a different way to slow escape?)

Souichiro

(Also, I've been slow escaping by holding :h: and rapidly inputting directions. Sometimes this causes me to accidentally throw out a hold... Is there a different way to slow escape?)
Thats probably because during a stun you press :h:+direction at the same time. Try holding down :h: first and then spam directions.

Something-Unique

Slow Escape/Stagger Escape is only viable against shallow stuns aka attacks that don't stun deep enough. The fastest possible slow escape/stagger escape will shake off a max of 8frames of stun.

For example:

Let's say someone's 6P gives you +30 stun and you shake at your fastest the stun would drop to +22. You need to add +2frames on an attack in order for it to connect (+3frames if its connecting at tip range). So let's say you have a mid p and mid k launcher. The mid p is i20 it will be guaranteed to launch because it will come out at i22 exact. If it's from a distance it won't because it would need to be an extra frame faster. The mid k is i21 and won't be guaranteed because it will actually be i23 because of the +2 rule.

Rules:

1.The fastest slow escape/stagger escape shaves off 8 frames of stun.

2. The frame data in this game is a little silly so you actually have to add +1 for a throw to actually connect. If the throw says i7 it actually only punishes -8 because you have to add +1.

3. The same rule applies for attacks during stun except you have to add +2.

I'd like to know, where it is that you have gotten this information on the maximum number of frames that slow escaping removes from your stun state. According to the Prima strategy guide, there are times when slow escaping removes 10 frames from your stun state -- Pai's 44P for example.

shinryu

The biggest reason to stagger escape is probably to get out of situations where you would otherwise eat something bigger; a lot of the sit-down stuns are quite vulnerable to launcher/critical burst unless you stagger escape them. It's not totally foolproof, and smart players are going to just use guaranteed attacks, but there are definitely times it'll get you out of something much worse. I'm not sure there are many stuns where fast stagger escape, assuming a +8 maximum reduction in advantage ,actually makes you safe where you wouldn't have been safe anyway if you blocked; e.g. you can reduce the disadvantage from a trip stun from -8 to 0 with fastest stagger escape, but you're safe anyway so why bother? Good luck actually getting fastest escape and sticking an attack out in a real match.

Something-Unique

I'd like to know, where it is that you have gotten this information on the maximum number of frames that slow escaping removes from your stun state. According to the Prima strategy guide, there are times when slow escaping removes 10 frames from your stun state -- Pai's 44P for example.

Training Mode.

So -- with all that has been stated thus far -- should I just start slow escaping the moment I see myself stunned? Are there ways of knowing if a stun is going to be deep, early in the stun animation -- besides the obvious stuns like, sit downs and some trip stuns -- without having detailed information on every opponent?

Alright. I'll look into it.

Drake Aldan

How does the actual escaping work? What inputs are counted? Is it speed, or technique?

I have been holding off on using this, because it's very tiring to do, especially if you are stunned repeatedly in one match. If my energy is sapped, I won't be able to fight properly.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I just do the ST method: :h::7::3::7::3::7::3:....

This is because the game can take this as :4::8::2::6:...

Some stuns will be decreased, others won't.

newtype

I just do the ST method: :h::7::3::7::3::7::3:....

This is because the game can take this as :4::8::2::6:...

Some stuns will be decreased, others won't.

what stuns in particular doesn't this work with? back stun? sitdown stun?

It's also important for people to remember not to push a direction and then :h: or else the Hold will be registered. If you're aiming to use Slow Escape make you time it right.

I've also noticed slow escaping works really good against people who try to bait out holds and use a heavy mix up game with pokes and single hits when you're stunned.

Dr Sexual

My question is if Slow Escaping has an invisible meter like it seemed to have in DOA4. Like the more you built it up during a match the easier and easier it was to keep doing it.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
The meter seems to be gone in DOA5.

And my reference to :h: means I hold down guard while doing it so i come out of the stun guarding.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
All crumples you cannot SE out of, some of the heavier stuns like lift stun are hard to SE out of.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD