Soul Calibur Thread

Radiance

Looks good and it's going to be on PC which is going to look even more amazing. 2018 is going to be beautiful. Since it's a reboot or takes place long before SCV guess we'll be seeing a lot of old characters who were ditched in SCV. I just hope Raphael doesn't suck in this one and he gets all his all shit back (if he returns).

Shiranui

Why is no one else posting right now? D:
The game seems to be something of a reboot indeed. The costume designs are certainly reboots of the original SC:

eBG8Pvn.jpg

(Good news, Takuji Kawano is back as the main character designer! :))

GI2I0su.jpg
This is something I wanted to comment when I saw the trailer, but it was very late time for me so I went to bed :D But yes, by the trailer you can clearly tell that this is a reboot. Mitsurugi and Sophitia look very like their old times in first Soul Calibur. Also the stage looks very Soul Calibur 1. I don't know if the storyline will be a reboot or not, but at least in therms of aesthetics I think they wneent back to SC roots. And that's very cool, I think. The second thing took my attention was that impressive multi parry Sophitia perfomed. What was that? Is her V-trigger thing the leak was poiting out? Or we have parries now? Well, Soul Calibur always had parries, but they weren't massive multiple parries like this one. This looked very new to me and Sophitia did with her shiled, not her sword, that's why I think it might be some kind of new skill she has.
Another thing I observed is that they reused SC4 models. Mitsurugi and Sophitia faces are the same that in SC4

07_soul04.jpg

soul-calibur-4-pantallazo-mitsurugi-1.jpg

Last edited:

KwonJigglypuff

Finally!

Can't wait to have more info, but having the confirmation and an official trailer is already so cool! Sophitia looks great, I'm sure she will have another interesting design as this one is great but not very original. Nice to see it is based on her very first costume though.

For some reason, Sophitia seems to have a Tecmo Koei face.

Kilik's rival looks like a classic European dark knight with a double weapon à la Darth Maul. Do you have some theories yourself ?

Nyte

LarsMasters

Either following the same roots as Capcom’s SF (IV - V, before III) & DMC (4SE (Vergil only) 3 > 1 > Anime > 4 > 2) & some of Bamco’s Tales Games (Berseria, before Zestria), or will be similar as Marvel’s Generations & SecretWars 2015.

@Nyte but you are right, we’ll find out on the next announcements soon. Mostly on each next months.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Another thing I observed is that they reused SC4 models. Mitsurugi and Sophitia faces are the same that in SC4

07_soul04.jpg

soul-calibur-4-pantallazo-mitsurugi-1.jpg

Yes, that is something I noticed with disappointment as well. They literally just ported over the base character models from SC4/5 and only modelled the costumes completely new. So we see a big difference in the quality of assets between costumes and bodies. Bandai Namco did the exact same with Tekken 7 and I already had a hunch they would do it again here. This is so lazy and to my knowledge no other game company is making it so easy for themselves by blatantly reusing last generation models in new current generation games (that are not just ports of course). That is one of the reasons why I will always vehemently object when people call Tekken 7 a graphical marvel. It reusing last generation, low polygon models simply excludes it from being a graphically impressive game in my opinion.
Unfortunately SC6 seems to be going the exact same route. Well, they might polish a couple of things up along the way and being set in a beautiful and fantastical world helps things too, but still it is disappointing.

By the way, here's 15 seconds additional gameplay in a snowy stage:
https://twitter.com/Flying_Wonkey/status/939180595841712133

It shows armor destruction is back or created souls in just their underwear after a battle, lol.

Last edited:

DedUp

I really hope the Create A Soul feature doesn't get nerfed like Tekken 7 customizations did. Customization is one of my favorite parts of these games and I was really disappointed in the huge downgrade this feature suffered in Tekken 7.

Another thing I'm curious about is the new parry mechanic. It looks interesting but a part of me is concerned that they might have replaced Guard Impacts with this. I really hope I'm getting worried for nothing because GIs are a core staple of the series and it would be too weird not to have them. It was bad enough when they were tied to meter in SCV.

Jadeinchains

Yes, that is something I noticed with disappointment as well. They literally just ported over the base character models from SC4/5 and only modelled the costumes completely new. So we see a big difference in the quality of assets between costumes and bodies. Bandai Namco did the exact same with Tekken 7 and I already had a hunch they would do it again here. This is so lazy and to my knowledge no other game company is making it so easy for themselves by blatantly reusing last generation models in new current generation games (that are not just ports of course). That is one of the reasons why I will always vehemently object when people call Tekken 7 a graphical marvel. It reusing last generation, low polygon models simply excludes it from being a graphically impressive game in my opinion.
Unfortunately SC6 seems to be going the exact same route. Well, they might polish a couple of things up along the way and being set in a beautiful and fantastical world helps things too, but still it is disappointing.

By the way, here's 15 seconds additional gameplay in a snowy stage:
https://twitter.com/Flying_Wonkey/status/939180595841712133

It shows armor destruction is back or created souls in just their underwear after a battle, lol.

Thanks I hadn't seen that extra footage, I saw a youtuber I liked in the twitter comments too. :p and I didn't this k it was true at first that they'd reused the models but I guess they did, that's quite sad. With that said though the game and characters still look really good and much better than T7. Not to mention like has been said, Soul Calibur has very fantastical and magical medieval style outfits and settings that really add to the way it looks so that will help.

I'm happy if create a soul is back, I hope we see footage of it soon.

Jadeinchains

Yeah if they are revisiting old events in Soul Calibur its either probably they're literally just setting this games story in the past and going through the events again, or Astral chaos has brought the actual SC world back into the past and maybe the story or events will change?

Nyte

Yeah if they are revisiting old events in Soul Calibur its either probably they're literally just setting this games story in the past and going through the events again, or Astral chaos has brought the actual SC world back into the past and maybe the story or events will change?
I think it's the latter. If it's just a retelling, why call it a sequel?

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Haha, 8Wayrun is gunna be alive again!

Haven't been there in so long lol. Sophitia looking tight! (eww to Mitsurugi though, they better nerf him in some way or make him less braindead).

Still though, really glad to SoulCalibur VI being a thing. I missed that series lol. Was genuinely concerned for the series' future after the direction Namco took with Lost Swords.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Yep. SoulCalibur VI is going the MK9 route. The announcer said this in the trailer: "Just as shadows are cast where there is light, history hides away more than one truth."

In the trailer we also cycled from SCV to SCI in Sophitia's memory. I think we will be revisiting all former SCs in this game. This will very likely include most of the old veterans. I bet they travel back in time to fix something really bad from happening, which sounds pretty cool and would be exactly what I predicted the game to be about.

Mayor-Of-Mustard

This might actually get me back into gaming as a whole now. 2017 was great but I just had this (i can only describe it as this) gaming melancholy and a terrible spending addiction on old games that were on sale.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD