Soul Calibur Thread

Adamleelight

I'm taking it you don't like change and wanted more of the same? God forbid that Project Soul try and do something different as opposed to make the same game with the same characters every time. With that said, having 3 mimics was kinda overkill.

The change of the game style didn't bother me at all. I do have a problem with them taking out peoples fan favs that they KNOW people use. Yung seong didn't even get replaced he was completely removed.

Also, why do they have to take out the characters that people like, and replace them? Why can't they update their move sets like any other fighting game out there. How about if DOA takes your favorite fighter out of the game and replaces them with somebody else with the same move set. Its a kick to the balls, cuz all you have to do is update a characters moveset.

There was nothing bold and new about removing a character and replacing a character with the same moves with updated attacks. Also before SC5 was released we didn't know the story was gonna be ass. Some people care about the character they have built along with through the years. They need to respect the fans. Why keep some and remove others makes no sense.

Seriously its like removing Hayabusa and Kasumi then putting there moveset on a new face, you think people are gonna be happy about that? hell no. That's what happened in SCV. I like the game yes, but the game fucked up in other areas.

SCV was rushed the story was ass, so alot of things didn't get explained. I was extremely disappointed at no arcade endings for characters.

also wtf did Patroklos A suddenly become setsuka?

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor

I personally feel that changing up the characters was not the problem. Majority of the cast by SCIV was starting to become stale from a storyline standpoint. The problem was that Project Soul & Namco did a godawful job of introducing the new characters and providing them with very weak backstories. I appreciate that PS attempted to shake things up by changing the gameplay mechanics and refreshing the roster, but their execution was atrocious in terms of story and narrative.

However, I still feel that SCV can be tremendously underrated as a fighting game and too many people use the so-and-so character being removed as an excuse for why the game "sucks". All things considered, story means fuck-all in a fighting game in the grand scheme of things. And although SCV's story sucks balls, it does not mean that SCV is a bad game overall. It can still be a blast to play. I used Taki in previous games and don't have a problem with Natsu taking over for her because Natsu is still fun to use. Let's be honest here, aside from her giant inflated tits, Taki didn't have much going on in the personality department.

On a different note, removing Hayabusa or Kasumi would make 0 sense in DOA because those 2 characters are the face of the franchise along with Ayane.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
That's my girl <3

sc2hd_38.jpg

sc2hd_39.jpg

This is what Kilik gets for becoming an Edgemaster in 5.

Dior

I personally feel that changing up the characters was not the problem. Majority of the cast by SCIV was starting to become stale from a storyline standpoint. The problem was that Project Soul & Namco did a godawful job of introducing the new characters and providing them with very weak backstories. I appreciate that PS attempted to shake things up by changing the gameplay mechanics and refreshing the roster, but their execution was atrocious in terms of story and narrative.

However, I still feel that SCV can be tremendously underrated as a fighting game and too many people use the so-and-so character being removed as an excuse for why the game "sucks". All things considered, story means fuck-all in a fighting game in the grand scheme of things. And although SCV's story sucks balls, it does not mean that SCV is a bad game overall. It can still be a blast to play. I used Taki in previous games and don't have a problem with Natsu taking over for her because Natsu is still fun to use. Let's be honest here, aside from her giant inflated tits, Taki didn't have much going on in the personality department.

On a different note, removing Hayabusa or Kasumi would make 0 sense in DOA because those 2 characters are the face of the franchise along with Ayane.

SCV is a good game to play competitively, they added some shit stuff like Critical Edges and removed shit like Critical Finish yeah... ok...

But they also removed characters that was in the game since Soul Edge, some people where playing with Taki, Sophitia 15 years ago... or more lol, the hell if she has only big boobs, lol, fans need respect, not everyone plays the game just by the system, or are tier whores that don't care about the character, a lot of people who bought the game, was because they love the series, and wanted to support in a hope for the future, not everyone will eat all that shit again, people lose interest, better Bamco think about the fans.

d3v

Meh. When you think about it, alot of the "new" characters are functionally the same old characters as before. Meanwhile, the true "new" characters in SCV are actually quite interesting. Viola is arguably one of the most unique new characters in any 3D fighting game.

SilverForte

Yeah, I was really disappointed Cassandra was cut at first, but I greatly enjoyed using Patroklos, and I figured I could always go back to the older games if I wanted to use her. Now with this release, I can switch between the two.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Meh. When you think about it, alot of the "new" characters are functionally the same old characters as before. Meanwhile, the true "new" characters in SCV are actually quite interesting. Viola is arguably one of the most unique new characters in any 3D fighting game.

And arguably the single most broken. Hey, Amy kinda was too! Tradition.

Amy and Viola are not even the same person >.>

Which is why they have the same voice actress, same tone of voice with no attempt at altering it, same bleak outlook on life, unique battle quotes with Raphael and unique quotes on his vampire bite.

Cause, y'know, it's not the same person.

And Raphael is also SCV Nightmare.

d3v

And arguably the single most broken. Hey, Amy kinda was too! Tradition.
I like her since she appears to be an actual attempt to answer the challenge that Seth Killian laid out in his old Domination 101 article for a 3D game to have a character with a true 2D projectile analogue - i.e. something that both controls space and acts as a setup by being totally independent of the character who threw it, and not just acting as a long range, safe poke.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
It didn't just do that though.

In many matchups, in fact, the opponent can't really do anything against Viola at range until she decides to come in. When she comes in, she will guess with her ball, and you'll be forced to block. Then she will come in with her claws, and you'll be forced to guess again. Then she will retract her ball (which you will block or get hit by, putting her at frame advantage either way) and then put you into another mixup, forcing you to guess.... again.

Now I'm all about giving people frame advantage so they can force a person to guess three times in a row, assuming it comes from a specific move or setup that can actually be reasonably avoided. Frame advantage makes sense as a reward for doing something right, be it from environment, reading, or spacing properly. With Viola it cannot be reasonably avoided and that makes it bullshit.

Furthermore, all of her guesses result in fucking ridiculous amounts of damage, which is completely unreasonable for the ease at which she can apply the situation.

Just Guarding her is worthless, and the only real way to break pressure is to use meter to GI her damn ball -- which of course, isn't an option right off the bat. And even when you get the meter to do it, spending meter on that means you can't play your character to his actual strengths AT ALL during the match. It's a ridiculous handicap.

Because of the insanity of this kind of fighting, plus the removal of safe movement, SCV quickly devolved into Guess Calibur V. That is the primary reason I stopped playing it.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
The biggest problem I have with Viola is that she has no concept of risk/reward. She's all reward with minimal risk. Compare her with Cervantes or Nightmare (hell even Alpha and his JFs) for example. They all have genuine risks to accompany their damage rewards. Also her high damage just makes matters even more frustrating. She's too unbalanced compared to most of the cast.

She really should have never gotten buffed in 1.02. Too many people whined that she was "too weak" before they figured out how she works.

SilverForte

Viola is pretty unreasonable. I can deal with her reasonably well at least due to GI, and patroklos can regain all the meter in 1 post GI combo, I feel besides viola the game is perfectly fine though.

Kritoth

I've played the other SCs expect 5 and do not like them. Not only are they slower paced, they slow down the reactions I've built up from years of playing SC 1 and 2. I played 3 and 4 a couple times with Mina(Mostly) and felt like a snail. I couldn't even sidestep as fast. I feel like companies, and players, think that a fight's speed should crawl in order to make it competitive, at least in SCs case.

As far as the new characters. I'm fine with them doing them but they have to have unique styles. (Or takes on a style) copy pasting Taki's style onto Natsu (At least that's what it looked like in some pre-release trailer.) seemed lazy. Also don't bring back some and remove others, that smacks of favoritism do it all out or don't do it at all, IMO.

However, my skill against tournament players has never been tested so anything I say is subjective.

TL;DR: Slow pace doesn't always make a more competitive game. I can't wait to play this as SC2 is my favorite of the 4 I've played.

d3v

synce

It was asked. Based on the whole Q&A it sounds like the next SC won't be mobile or digital-only

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD