Spammed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightWolf

What's up with the spammers?
I just started playing doa5lr again this week and I've had like 10 matches today where it's just the other player backing up the whole time and spamming safe moves? It makes the game so boring. I'm constantly chasing the other players across the map only to get spammed when I get close. It's no wonder nobody plays this game anymore haha.

Giannola

I just started playing doa5lr again this week and I've had like 10 matches today where it's just the other player backing up the whole time and spamming safe moves? It makes the game so boring. I'm constantly chasing the other players across the map only to get spammed when I get close. It's no wonder nobody plays this game anymore haha.
Could you be more specific about what characters and moves thry are using? There is a counter for everything in this game whether its sidestepping, holding, waiting for them to whiff and throwing, free stepping, etc. depends on the move.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Truth be told, it won't matter what fighting game you play. You'll run into the same problem and get easily discouraged thinking like that when a match doesn't go your way. The sooner you realize it's your fault and not the game's fault you're not progressing, the easier it'll be to come up with productive solutions rather than quitting and claiming the game is trash.

Let's get this out of the way right now. Not everyone you fight is gonna go all-out offense and just hand you unsafe moves and strings on a silver platter. No matter what fighting game you play, you WILL run into these defensive players eventually, and you will have to learn to deal with it to grow as a player. Sometimes you gotta improvise, think outside your usual thought process in set play, and ask yourself these questions:

1) How well does the player know my character's options? Is that the reason the player's not taking any chances with me up close, and suffocating my options as a result by keeping me at bay with safe pokes?

2) How do I open up the player's defense? What are his common safe moves that he uses when I get within range, and how can I bait them constantly so he can do something different, and hopefully return the pressure in my favor when he messes up?

3) Would it be wise for me to save replays of this match, observe the match further, and assign the training dummy to re-enact that scenario until I learn how to deal with that solution with confidence?

4) You know what? Now that I'm getting the hang of this, why stop at that when I can read up in the character forums what this problematic character can do and be three steps ahead of the opponent next time I fight him?

I guarantee if you ask these questions to yourself and follow through in earnest, you will find a way to overcome said "spammers". It may not be the easiest road to take. It may be far easier and more tempting to just quit. But ultimately you'd be cheating yourself out of potential growth as a DOA player-- no, a fighting game player in general.

Don't be that guy. Don't give up that easily. Stay encouraged.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor

Well if it was working, what reason is there for the opponent to stop doing it? You have to give them a reason to stop "spamming" or they'll keep doing it.

...spamming safe moves

Do you even know how to play fighting games including DOA5LR? What is the opponent expected to do? Spam unsafe moves like a jackass? "Spamming" safe moves is a very good strategy to do in DOA5LR and fighting games in general (What do you think a high level DOA, Tekken, SF, etc. match is made up of? Spamming safe moves! :eek:)

Furthermore, DOA5 turns 5 years old this month. The fact that there's people still playing this game is a monumental achievement. Most fighting games don't last that long (or most games in general). Anyway, Awesmic gave some excellent suggestions to help you level up from scrub to non-scrub. Once you git gud, "spammers" won't bother you anymore. (Just for kicks, I'll also let you know that fighting games are complete bullshit online if that's what you're having trouble with).

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
That's a rhetorical question.
I just started playing doa5lr again this week and I've had like 10 matches today where it's just the other player backing up the whole time and spamming safe moves?
That's a statement, not a question.
It makes the game so boring. I'm constantly chasing the other players across the map only to get spammed when I get close. It's no wonder nobody plays this game anymore haha.
Plenty of people play. They must just not invite you for some reason.

Is there any point to this thread, or did you just come to complain about how spacing is a thing in DOA just as in every other fighter?

Kensei_warlord

or at least fill up @Giannola troubleshooting form...
qm1a0.jpg

but if you dont try to filled it...
Turning-it-on-and-off-again.jpg

T..J. Bernard

Let's try to answer every statement.

1) What's up with the spammers? To be honest I don't know. Don't care. Focused on other things to worry about spammers. If I encounter one, win or lose I leave lobby and look to a new challenge, spectate or go to the dojo (My safe place).

2) Opponent backs up and spams safe moves. If we're talking about Zoning with for example Jann Lee, I don't think he has many "Safe" moves to spam. His most safe option's 6p6k or 66k but that's -4 which is strike punishable. If we're talking with Christie or something, although they're really good close, I think what's happening with you is they're catching you whiffing or again they're hitting you with -5 or below moves where those aren't throw punishable. Really look into strike punishing more. Or bait them out and whiff punish.

3) It makes the game boring. I'd say the lag mainly is what makes the game boring. Online trolls bore me too but I haven't dealt with that much as of late.

4) Chasing others to get spammed. Refer to #2.

5) No wonder no one plays this game. Not really. On my behalf, I don't play it much because online's a pain and there's other options. Lastly, it's old. I don't care much about a 5 year old game where a new one's coming out. The only two things that bother me regardless of the game is the lag/delay & when I encounter trolls which are the only things that will anger me. After that, anything else with DOA5LR I don't care much because at this point I know what future direction DOA's probably going. It's like me complaining over Kingdom Hearts 2 when 3's coming out soon. I'm just trying to do some final things with DOA before I decide to hang em' up til DOA 6.

I suggest looking into every character and what they do to space. Also I wouldn't mix up spacing for spamming. Spamming for me is when you throw out a -14 string and despite that still manage to beat me out and I get punished for trying to punish & when you're throwing out random moves that I know damn well don't correlate. Spacing's an important factor whether it's tekken, DOA, VF, etc. What it comes down to is whether you can adjust to spacing or not? Cause every fighter gonna have zoning/spacing characters. + out of my friends list I think only like 5-10 truly retired from DOA where they play maybe every once in a while.

Last edited:

NightWolf

Lol all very good, obvious and sarcastic comments. Wouldn't expect anything less from my fellow gamers. And no I think I'm pretty decent at the game. I'll play anyone feel free to add me. I just wondered why I'm one of the few players who will take risks and go after my opponent. I've had plenty of good matches with awesome players that make the match fun. I just had one of those days were every player it seemed like wanted to run away the whole match. Seriously I played like 3 people who would wait out the entire timer. They would never come after me to initiate the fight. I just don't know how anyone can have fun playing like that. But to each their own.

Giannola

Lol all very good, obvious and sarcastic comments. Wouldn't expect anything less from my fellow gamers. And no I think I'm pretty decent at the game. I'll play anyone feel free to add me. I just wondered why I'm one of the few players who will take risks and go after my opponent. I've had plenty of good matches with awesome players that make the match fun. I just had one of those days were every player it seemed like wanted to run away the whole match. Seriously I played like 3 people who would wait out the entire timer. They would never come after me to initiate the fight. I just don't know how anyone can have fun playing like that. But to each their own.

I didnt leave a sarcastic comment, and if you read most of the comments were trying to address your post in a positive way.

Also theres nothing wrong with running the timer out. A victory by timeout tastes just as sweet.

-4 which is strike punishable.

-4 isnt strike punishable in any way

WAZAAAAA

Everything that is virtually possible within the game is fair play, this is exactly what makes fighting games great: freedom. If you don't agree with that simple concept and come up with unwritten rules on what's fair and what isn't, you become what is commonly known as a "scrub".
Stop being a scrub and adapt.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
How you play is your choice, I like playing defensive

And you don't always have to take risks to win which is the main goal of DOA, to be as unpredictable as possible while taking as minimal risk as possible

NightWolf

Somebody asked for an example. OK so I've fought this one Ayane player who just backs away and spams the same guaranteed moves over and over and when I say guarantee I mean moves that after the first hit the next 2 or 3 are almost automatic hits. So I beat this player for like 3 days straight. And they never changed at all. So you'll say why are you losing If they do the same shit. Well I don't when I try. But they make the game so damn boring doing the same shit over and over. But I have no choice but to play them online because the online sucks. It forces you to wait to be matched with a player and I don't like to decline unless it's too Laggy to even play. But yeah there is an example. It seems like most Ayane players spam the same shit over and over lol I use quite a few characters but I almost never spam their spamable moves like jann Lee's leg kick. I just don't get what is fun about that stuff.

NightWolf

I didnt leave a sarcastic comment, and if you read most of the comments were trying to address your post in a positive way.

Also theres nothing wrong with running the timer out. A victory by timeout tastes just as sweet.

-4 isnt strike punishable in any way
And no, time out victories suck. Everytime I win from a time out I feel like my time was wasted. I guess I'm one of the few players who wants an exciting match win or lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD