Started VF5-FS today. Pai moves easier to perform?!

I tried out Virtua Fighter 5 today (playing training as I type this) first time in my life playing any VF game.

Anyways,

I've stumbled upon stuff. Pai's basic moves are stupid easy to perform on here. Whereas, on my Xbox One version of DOA5LR her basic moves "many times I fail to perform" when I say moves -- I am talking about her simple, basic, poke type moves not combos.

Example:
Her 3P, Charged K, followed by pressing the hold button (for fake out) is hard as hell to perform on DOA5. I always chalk it up to my retarded muscle memory or wack noob reflexes.

But then...

I jump on VF5 - boom. Haven't failed it once - the same move?? You got to time it in DO5 (press the hold button somewhere within the animation she starts turning for the kick) but here inVF5.... I can do perfectly! All that matters, is I press the buttons consecutively without missing the rhythm . (I like it better this way) it's a simple move should not be difficult requiring some special timing imho. It's not some ultra combo. Then again I'm a noob, so my opinion is as educated as a banana peel speaking at a NASA conference.

That said, there are many other simple things like this refelecting my example, regarding her moves, that are harder to execute on DOALR, yet simple as hell here on VF5FS.

So is this some sort of "make the simple moves harder" for DOA5 to give it more technicality or something?

Genuinely curious here. Also, I love how she moves much faster in VF5. Faster as in her normal walk speed. Great for spacing.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
I felt the same going between games - speculating but I feel it's a technical limitation between the two games' systems. Sure they both share three buttons but both games handle inputs and timings differently. I recall reading in an interview somewhere that the VF characters weren't simple copy-paste jobs and Team Ninja ended up doing additional characters besides Akira since they had developed all these tools for the process or something to that effect. They were probably still a rough fit in the system but it was "good enough." All the VF characters play infinitely smoother in their own game and I'd recommend anyone interested to actually try VF itself, even if you were discouraged by the input barrier of those characters in DOA5.

Lulu

Oh good... so you noticed that too.

I've been telling people about how Different the VF characters are in their home game. The only one who's transition made him easier to play is Akira.

However you you know that Pai Chan has some While Crouching Moves right...... well Virtua Fighter doesn't have a special leniency to help perform them faster. So there is that.

@grap3fruitman
Thanks. That's nice to know. Your explanation cleared things up. "Rough fit in the system but good enough" and so- this is why I run into some complications with the basics. All good, I'll overcome eventually.

Regarding your VF5 statement, I agree, VF5 is fun. I was having a blast! (Careful DOA, they might steal me away) Even the grainy, but still gorgeous graphics were enticing me. Not too shiny like the new graphics. Some grit in there, gives it some character and seemingly weathered from life experiences - character models.

The controls, were not complicated to me, and I'm utter trash. (DOA practice has made me good enough to pick and play VF5 I suppose)

The complication only arose in terms of my reflexes/muscle memory lag... but any veteran/experienced DOA player would do amazing things in VF5.

Love the side dash system to avoid attacks. Like in a real fight, you would side step and avoid the oncoming traffic. DOA sidestep doesn't fully... well, side step - you still get smacked! Maybe it's me. Most likely it is me, since I'm still in timing diapers with execution. But I could swear I've side stepped several attacks that were timed and I'd still get smashed as if it tracked when it wasn't a track move.

And I also loved how they used the P+K button as the counter button as well. Not only is it the attack button, but it doubled up as the counter button when pressed simultaneously with forward, back... etc. This surprised me because it was more convenient for me than having it on the hold/guard button like DOA. (Not knocking you DOA, I love you babe) but anyways, yea, since my finger is always "ala ready" in stand by mode on/near the attack button more than the hold button. It was damn near perfect fit for me. Surprised me with how it was so custom fitted.

But yes, as of reading through @Force_of_Nature breakdown for VF5 in my other thread and experiencing it today - I'm falling in love.

Sega is dumbing out by not porting it to PC by now. I would buy it there since 360 on its death bed. I been playing the demo so not buying, for it to go extinct, and it's not guaranteed XB1 compatibility list either. Not risking. But if PC release, I'll buy.

@Lulu
Yea, I'm glad it wasn't me dude. I thought it was my noobish ways seeing something that wasn't. Regarding her crouching moves - indeed, no leniency there. Those are hard for me too. I keep getting confused. Sometimes I can just hold diagonal and it will comeout no problem, other times, well, most times, not so much. This goes for both DOA5 & VF5.

Absolutely, I'm not sure about the rest of the VF guests, but Pai runs way smoother in VF5, her wine is that much sweeter. I would like to see @Timasty do a Playthrough of VF5 with Pai, most definitely would wreck shop.

Soo...
Has VF characters always been featured in DOA games? (My first DOA game as well)

Also,
At least to my knowledge, Sega not doing to hot (corporate wise) I wonder if they'll dump off some of their franchises that don't generate and focus on their money makers. If they do, I wonder if they'd let Team Ninja snatch the rights and converge the two franchises. Yes I'm dreaming. Lol. Just a thought, also no word of a VF6.

Though, for a company supposedly not doing well in the biz sector, their trying to make impressions. Sega is putting up a Kickstarter called the Dream Project to see if they can crowd fund a Sega DreamCast 2 console. <- This should be interesting. Maybe saving VF6 for console exclusive. Lol.

Lulu

Nope..... DOA5 was the first time VF characters joined DoA.

Obviously some Ninja Gaiden characters have also long time guests in DoA

And lets not forget Master Chief's Hot cousin, Nicole. ;)

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
I tried out Virtua Fighter 5 today (playing training as I type this) first time in my life playing any VF game.

Anyways,

I've stumbled upon stuff. Pai's basic moves are stupid easy to perform on here. Whereas, on my Xbox One version of DOA5LR her basic moves "many times I fail to perform" when I say moves -- I am talking about her simple, basic, poke type moves not combos.

Example:
Her 3P, Charged K, followed by pressing the hold button (for fake out) is hard as hell to perform on DOA5. I always chalk it up to my retarded muscle memory or wack noob reflexes.

But then...

I jump on VF5 - boom. Haven't failed it once - the same move?? You got to time it in DO5 (press the hold button somewhere within the animation she starts turning for the kick) but here inVF5.... I can do perfectly! All that matters, is I press the buttons consecutively without missing the rhythm . (I like it better this way) it's a simple move should not be difficult requiring some special timing imho. It's not some ultra combo. Then again I'm a noob, so my opinion is as educated as a banana peel speaking at a NASA conference.

That said, there are many other simple things like this refelecting my example, regarding her moves, that are harder to execute on DOALR, yet simple as hell here on VF5FS.

So is this some sort of "make the simple moves harder" for DOA5 to give it more technicality or something?

Genuinely curious here. Also, I love how she moves much faster in VF5. Faster as in her normal walk speed. Great for spacing.

VF5FS & DOA5LR have different buffer windows and thus require different timings on their moves. If you try to input something like: PP6PK in VF5FS it'll be a different timing to how it's performed in DOA5LR. On average, DOA5LR gives you an extra frame or so to perform moves like Akira's :H*+K: or Jacky's :6_::K::5::h: making the "tighter" timing moves easier to execute. But in general, you'll need to change your input timings in both games. Pai moves faster in VF because her animations are designed for that game. So it may be a case of her simply "flowing" better overall. In DOA the VF characters might feel a bit sluggish in some area due to the different timings in terms of execution of manoeuvres. With that said, VF & DOA are the closest games in the sense of the general gameplay being relatively similar to each other.

SEGA is doing fine financially in Japan thanks to their Pachinko business, but their videogame sector isn't doing to hot. I would not bank on there being a VF6 in the future and do find that the VF community has been going downhill a bit in terms of overall popularity.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD