Community "Stealing Your Tech" series.

THE_WORST_KOKORO

Standard Donor
Starting today (November 14th, 2014),
I will be starting the "Stealing Your Tech" SYT series (it will expand to other fighting games, but for now its just DOA for me...and Under Night In-Birth)
The main objective for the series is to bring in more players and educate them on how Frames and Setups work, as well as showing off some cool tricks they can use with a character to improve their gameplay.

But I can't do this alone, This is our time as a community to show what we know and teach other players, New, Decent or even "the best of the best" about these things they see in a fight to better understand their situations.
I also will be running some weekly tournaments, they will be recorded and put on YT (youtube.com/YinCrescent765)

Any questions or concerns? Write them in the comments I'll be sure to reply.

Yurlungur

I can write a bit of tech for helena and i'm basically a pro with hilda, if you'd like i can write a whole guide on her

Corza

Standard Donor
Funny, I was just thinking about playing through the story mode and talking a bit about each of the characters as I progress. But my idea was to do it in my language, because there aren't many players in my country, as far as I know.

The_King_Edo

Umm i guess i can try and put up what i know, setups and such i find with kokoro, rachel, leifang, hayate, and marie rose and possibly 1% of alpha

oMASTER LEGENDo

Standard Donor
Teaching should be allowed to everyone that is the point in this site i know some of you forgot what a actual fighting game community is LOL Players can teach you facts and tips about the game but we can't force you to win that my friend is up to you. As long as you have your facts together it will be smooth also not all Tournament players feel like teaching but what can you do right.:akira:

RoboJoe

@Awesmic

I'm pretty sure that all you need to do to hit the front page is to pm @Mr. Wah or @virtuaPAI and ask one of them. I don't know them, but I don't think they would say no to someone trying to help the community by sharing tech and helping people learn, especially someone with credentials like yourself. It would be shooting the community in the foot for no reason.

Yurlungur

Awesmic has been playing DOA for over 10+ years, he should be a fucking leader of this community instead of this self-inflicted "victim" persona that he carries around. Lol, What happened on that Ayane Combo Video was hilariously sad xD.

I just really hope if this project gets up from the ground that certain members just don't become extremely discouraging about it, that's all(even if they are correct)

Ken_Jammin

Well this conversation really degenerated. So whats the call to action? Do you want us to put together some videos explaining our tech? What if we just wanted to do some write ups based on replays they downloaded, explaining what went well in the match. I want to help out but realistically I barely have enough time to play the game let alone make edited videos with detailed explanations, much respect to the people who put that stuff together. The kinda stuff master's been doing has been great, although I don't always appreciate some of the lobby players trying to coppy-cat his set ups...

I'd like to help other players learn, but i'd like to do it in a context that's more about exploring the game for yourself. It's very important to know your frames and what your good setups are don't get me wrong, but I think players who focus too strongly on their setup game can miss some of the other factors that play a large role in DOA such as spacing, pressure, telegraphing, and of course reading/player archetype recognition.

I'd love to do a video or write-up explaining telegraphing and why some moves might be good on paper but aren't or vice versa, i think its something that often goes overlooked, let me know what you think.

Intelligent Alpha

@KJ: Yeah, most focus on one or two facets when there's a whole lot more out there. I'm guessing it's due to never thinking they'll never get into that awkward situation and there's always gonna be at least one! Hell, I'm told to focus on just one facet and I know this is bad!

TBH, I'm a fundamental player! I don't rely on fancy stuff! Lots of people don't believe this actually works! Do I lose using fundamentals, yes; however, if I ignore them, that is a much bigger loss and a personal one regardless of how the fight turns out for me. It's good and bad, but I've learned to take both!

I rely on setups, too, but that for me is my tech given my playstyle, but I don't ignore the other facets either. For me, it's all about how and when, not what. This is where lots of my opponents mess up regardless of how many easy wins they sponge off me!

Last edited by a moderator:

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
Well this conversation really degenerated. So whats the call to action? Do you want us to put together some videos explaining our tech? What if we just wanted to do some write ups based on replays they downloaded, explaining what went well in the match. I want to help out but realistically I barely have enough time to play the game let alone make edited videos with detailed explanations, much respect to the people who put that stuff together. The kinda stuff master's been doing has been great, although I don't always appreciate some of the lobby players trying to coppy-cat his set ups...

I'd like to help other players learn, but i'd like to do it in a context that's more about exploring the game for yourself. It's very important to know your frames and what your good setups are don't get me wrong, but I think players who focus too strongly on their setup game can miss some of the other factors that play a large role in DOA such as spacing, pressure, telegraphing, and of course reading/player archetype recognition.

I'd love to do a video or write-up explaining telegraphing and why some moves might be good on paper but aren't or vice versa, i think its something that often goes overlooked, let me know what you think.

Generally the rule of thumb for basic attacks is that the first two are safe, but by the third hit they've recognized the pattern and can counter it.

Intelligent Alpha

Generally the rule of thumb for basic attacks is that the first two are safe, but by the third hit they've recognized the pattern and can counter it.

Yep! Opponents love strings in threes! However, against more adept players, none of this holds up usually. Not saying you're wrong RC, just saying be careful. I would also say to the poster above you to utilize the "Throw Baiting" technique aka the maligned "Punch, Punch, Grab!" IOW, bait holds, then throw punish! When you're facing a blocking opponent, utilize this as well aka Tick Throwing! You get less damage, but it's still effective! Be careful because you could be on the wrong end of a throw yourself.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD