DOA5U Strategies for Kokoro

THE_WORST_KOKORO

Standard Donor
So after a while of playing her I feel comfortable talking about her freely.
I don't know if its just me but does anyone else feel some awkward tension once your opponent gets with a move that initiates the stun game?

I noticed 9 times out of 10 if I avoid the stun game the damage I dish out adds up in the end (via juggles)
Simply because the tend to hold after they get hit a second time.
Also... I learned the hard way not to use grabs so freely now.
Especially her 214T command throw... that's asking for you to be put at disadvantage

So... What's your input?
How do you work around the stun game?

I believe this thread can help us make better decisions when playing her in general.
Kokoro Signature.png

Also... on a side note... who likes my new avatar? :p

Commmanda Panda

the way I play is to not play the stun game too long. I try to launch early during stun to get good damage with the lower chance of getting held. It can be something like stun > stun > 46p > juggle combo. After a few of those they tend to hold immediately and thats when you can delay your hits and get them with 214T.

Last edited:

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
I just try to setup throws. After stuff like 6PP, I just 214T. Even if they don't slow escape or hold, they get thrown 'cause 6PP only stuns for like 10f or so on all hit types. When they start mashing or ducking to beat it, I just do 66P instead of 214T and start it all over again. When they're focused on the mid/throw mixups, I just start putting in 2Ks. Kokoro 2Ks stun for quite a while. :v If they're near a wall, I just mash out something that wallslams and 9P 6PPP their face.

As for 214T, I just shake my stick between 4 and 6 and time the T. Works like 95% of the time. :v And then I screw up like ten times in a row and lose horribly. I wish they'd raise the damage on it. It's so dumb that I can land 3 HiCH 12f throws and still not win.

xhuntressx

Interesting. When I play Kokoro, I focus on getting my opponent into the stun game and then driving it home towards a critical stun. From that point I usually launch them or go for CB, and if I get countered, I go for 214T the next time. Oh, and 214P spacing ftw lol.

jjinkou2

My beginner tactics are 3 folds :
- I start my play testing the opponent looking for a CB.
- if i'm grabbed then i switch for the main tools which are baiting a hold to place the heichu throw.
- And my last technique is using the T inside strings (2KT or PPT) hiden inside strikes mixing them with direct hit (PP6P or 2KP). So the opponent either freezes or gets countered hit.

Strategies i need to developped are :
Sabaki:I would like to use more her new sabaki 44P but it's very touchy to time it correctly. You need to carefully read your opponent.
Sit down stun: i still struggle to place them correctly and to follow with a combo.

Your comments are welcomed.

Bushido

My goal when I play Kokoro is to condition my opponent to do what I want to do. I usually attempt to launch or CB during a deep stun. When the opponent starts holding, I 214T. If they begin to stagger and block, I Heichu throw and force them back into a stun. That's basically the cycle that I try to do during a match. Sometimes I end up doing one thing more than the other, such as trying to 214T every chance I get. It's a bad habit, but I'm working on it.

jjinkou2

why 214T is a so bad habit?it leads to mind games with different height. and you can follow it with the heichu throw if they tend to hold too much. sorry if it has already been discussed somewhere but i couldn't find it.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
It's not a bad habit, but when you use it, you should be doing so with the intent of training them to mash buttons or duck a lot. Once they do start mashing, you want to capitalize and beat them up with strikes and a good launch. If you keep doing the same thing over and over, your pressure gets predictable and you get beat up instead when they start adjusting.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
I'm going to start fiddling around with Kokoro soon. I can tell you that I have had improved success with Akira in doing stun > launch combos. It seems Kokoro has a lot of launchers as well, so I'll be utilizing the same strategy. I also look to corner people into walls or towards a breakable. If she has combos that cover a lot of distance, those can be utilized as well. Here is a video clip of what I mean by travel combos. If the video doesn't start at the 5:59 mark, speed it up to there. Example ends at 6:16.

Commmanda Panda

If she has combos that cover a lot of distance, those can be utilized as well.
Hmm i think i understand what you are talking about. Most of her combos tend to end with 66P+K Heichu P+K. This push the opponent far away if you are in open space. The same applies to the strings that end with ..2KP

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Hmm i think i understand what you are talking about. Most of her combos tend to end with 66P+K Heichu P+K. This push the opponent far away if you are in open space. The same applies to the strings that end with ..2KP
Take a look where the combo starts and where the string actually finishes. Never mind the distance they travel after the finisher, but the distance covered while I'm actively striking them.

Commmanda Panda

Take a look where the combo starts and where the string actually finishes. Never mind the distance they travel after the finisher, but the distance covered while I'm actively striking them.
then yes I would say most of her combos travel a good amount of distance before the ender

The_King_Edo

So after a while of playing her I feel comfortable talking about her freely.
I don't know if its just me but does anyone else feel some awkward tension once your opponent gets with a move that initiates the stun game?

I noticed 9 times out of 10 if I avoid the stun game the damage I dish out adds up in the end (via juggles)
Simply because the tend to hold after they get hit a second time.
Also... I learned the hard way not to use grabs so freely now.
Especially her 214T command throw... that's asking for you to be put at disadvantage

So... What's your input?
How do you work around the stun game?

I believe this thread can help us make better decisions when playing her in general.
View attachment 4887

Also... on a side note... who likes my new avatar? :p
Thanx for the thread

So coming back from NEC (17th isn't too bad right?) and suffering losses from the same character I lost to last time, (Ayane) I'm trying to figure out how I should approach this matchup. Considering how Ayane can be played either aggressively or defensively, what can I do against both styles of play?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD