DOA5U Strategies for Kokoro

THE_WORST_KOKORO

Standard Donor
So coming back from NEC (17th isn't too bad right?) and suffering losses from the same character I lost to last time, (Ayane) I'm trying to figure out how I should approach this matchup. Considering how Ayane can be played either aggressively or defensively, what can I do against both styles of play?
17th isn't...well uh -snip-
[Personally... winning shouldn't be too high of a goal. Instead, study... ask questions.]

Alright. Ayane vs. Kokoro.(this honestly should go into the match up thread, but I'll make an exception here)
Anyways, Its hard to get in on Ayane when she's on Defense and Offense.
Here's the Do's and Dont's of the match-up.

- You don't want to whiff, this is a no-brainer and probably one of the most basic things in a match up and pretty much applies to the rest of the casr. Kokoro suffers from over-extended hurt-boxes (areas in which you can be hit during an attack animation)

- Do NOT respect flips over your head if (and only if) it is during neutral.
Kokoro's BT P [i14] can stun her since she is in back turned and score Hi-Counter damage.

-If you get an Ayane trying to pressure you, your most valuable tools are
P [i10] -1 on hit /-2 on block
K [i15] +4 on hit/ -5 on block
2P [i13] 0 on hit /-4 on block
9P [i15] (stuns on normal hit) / -5 on block
6P [i12] /-12 on block (risky poke... use it sparingly. Even though the entire string is safe.)
6KP [i15,i19] / -7 On Block

If you have an Ayane who loves to use high strings
7P (sabaki's all highs (except jumping highs))
2H+K
sometimes 33P+K I dont recommend it because you can get hit randomly and it puts you in a stun.

Your main goal however is to make her whiff, keep her out and punish unsafe moves.
DO NOT CONTEST HER IN RANGE GAME. Let her bring the fight to you.

Last edited:

NightAntilli

Hm. Interestingly, Ayane is one of the characters I have the least trouble with while using Kokoro. Up close, I don't really feel Ayane is that big a threat. You need to watch out for her crushes, but her speed is not that great, so Kokoro can use that to her advantage. From far away, you need to know what moves to expect from the opponent so you can time your counter attacks, but generally, I've experienced that 33P does wonders against Ayane. It has the follow-ups as well, so it's a great move for closing the gap if the Ayane player is spacing too much. Abusing it gives the opponent an easy hold though...

Heikou

Standard Donor
8P is also fantastic for closing space and catching stuff for CH. Amazing for whiff punishing, too.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD