Super Smash Bros. Thread

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
So yes, this is a discussion for Super Smash Bros. I started this thread since no one did one. Talk about all Smash Bros. related stuff such as Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, Project M, and for 3DS/Wii U.

Discuss!

Zeo

Future Marth main here. He's been great in every smash he's ever been in so I'm not worried about wrecking shop here.

Also:
Link
Ike
Greninja
Sonic
Little Mac
Pac-Man
Mega Man
...and maybe Pit.

I'm a sucker for sword characters and yeah I'm pretty sure that's almost a 3rd of the cast but I actually like a lot of characters in this game. I wish it was the same for fighters.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Not a serious player by any stretch but I do find Melee and the original to be great fun. I'm entered into the 3ds Smash tournament at TFC.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Considering playing this competitively when it releases (Smash 4 I mean). I wasn't a fan of Brawl, and I don't think I'll get into the 3DS version because I'm just not able to control the characters properly (I tried out the 3DS e3 demo).

Additionally, if I can use a PS2 controller or arcade stick I'd prefer it, I just can't do the advanced techniques on a Game Cube controller.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
Nerfing Marth's grabs I can understand (mained him in Brawl because no Roy, he had some silly early percentage setups and some amazing high percentage stuff). His air game nerf I can kind of understand, it was second only to Metaknight.

If Link gets to be good this time around I'll go back to maining him again, sub mained him in Melee and Brawl, mained him in 64. If I don't like how he plays this time around it's back to Marth (wish his sword dance was

It's kind of a shame that in the major Smash tournaments the 3DS version probably won't become accepted as the main play method, wireless handhelds are ripe for screwing up in competitive matches. Unfortunately I'm not buying a WiiU any time in the near future (if at all). If I did it would only be for Smash and Hyrule Warriors and Legend of Zelda games.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
Nerfing Marth's grabs I can understand (mained him in Brawl because no Roy, he had some silly early percentage setups and some amazing high percentage stuff). His air game nerf I can kind of understand, it was second only to Metaknight.

If Link gets to be good this time around I'll go back to maining him again, sub mained him in Melee and Brawl, mained him in 64. If I don't like how he plays this time around it's back to Marth (wish his sword dance was

It's kind of a shame that in the major Smash tournaments the 3DS version probably won't become accepted as the main play method, wireless handhelds are ripe for screwing up in competitive matches. Unfortunately I'm not buying a WiiU any time in the near future (if at all). If I did it would only be for Smash and Hyrule Warriors and Legend of Zelda games.
Link is actually pretty good this time.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
Link is actually pretty good this time.
YAY!

Maybe I'll buy a WiiU for Smash 4 and Hyrule Warriors.

Nah, that's not happening. At least not if I can't get one for under $100. Even then it will get as much use as my 3DS (oh yeah, I DO have a Vita...).

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
The 3DS version would need terrible controls and the game would otherwise need to be amazing to get me to buy a Wii U. All of two games interest me on it right now and one of them is Smash.

DrDam

I just hope the game is more like melee than brawl. I don't care about the singleplayer or the trophies or whatever. I just want a really smooth multiplayer. Also those Amiibo things look dumb as fuck.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
I don't see Smash as a competitive game still, but the community and tier lists will tell you otherwise. Also, the fact that Smash for 3DS/Wii U are being made with competitive players in mind tells a different story, but I still stand by my statement. I recently played Project M and I actually enjoyed it a lot, except for what they did to Pit's Up B. Pretty excited for the new Smash, since it'll be the first one I can purchase myself, mainly because I don't really purchase Nintendo consoles.

Currently, I like using Captain Falcon, Ness, Falco, Lucas, Diddy Kong, Wario, and Pit the most. In the new one, I look forward to using Greninja and Wii Fit Trainer, but a lot of the characters I use have yet to be confirmed (Captain Falcon, Ness, Falco, Lucas, and Wario). If they don't make it into the game, that's a deal breaker for me.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
In the general scheme of things Smash has Been considered a niche fighter and until fairly recently it was fairly ignored (like DOA). It has its community (which is quite large), been vying to be recognized, and has a good turnout at almost all of its majors.

Right now I can only see the console version being used for competitions once it is released. Hard to see the action on handhelds and with Palutena as a console exclusive to the WiiU the 3DS only crowd will become known as the "filthy casuals".

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
Smash is still very much a casual party game. The only thing that made it "competitive" was not using items at tournaments.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD