Tekken

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
This new character looks exactly like one of my close friends LOL xD
To me he looks like a cheap cash grab incentive to draw in NFL fans into the Tekken game. He doesn't even look original, he looks a bit like the apprentice from SC4 to me:

theapprentice2.jpg

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
He plays for the Bulletclub team (lol).

Anyways, not sure how I feel about it since he's on mobile only. The idea is cool, but the question is if he's a good character or not. If he's a good character with at least a moderate personality, then he was a good choice. But since it's mobile....can't speak for it nor do I care about it. In short, if it's anything mobile related, it's a automatic waste (not really, but resources? yeah it's a waste).

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I don't think it has anything to do on being manly at all. Mobile to be fair is just not that convenient. Why put it on mobile when you can put it on console? not everyone has a console, but that's no different to the past where it just wasn't a thing. Why make a game like that with exclusive features that should of been on console in the first place? - I just feel like putting that on a completely different (and less powerful mind you) platform is just a waste of resources. Not all games are bad on mobile, but certain games just doesn't fit to be a mobile game at all.

Last edited:

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
The dudebro audience wouldn't even play it on mobile to begin with. It's not "manly" enough to play fighting games on mobile.
Then again, I doubt if console is going even consider DLC characters outside of Geese and the other guest character begin with. Hence why this mobile app just seems arbitrary when this could have went towards adding stuff to console instead. Who am I kidding?

Mayor-Of-Mustard

i can't wait for the bara community to gobble up Dudebro Square McDerpHead The Second.
I want to like this guy but he looks like Bayman and William had some sort of Monster baby with Brienne of tarth and tormund's genes slapped in there too what am i talking about help

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
... Why would they make two different slots for the Bears?? Thought about this for a while and I still don't quite get it.

That's a superb question that Harada tends to avoid or respond in a way that's extremely vague. One bear is good, having another as a separate slot is a bit absurd.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
... Why would they make two different slots for the Bears?? Thought about this for a while and I still don't quite get it.

To inflate the roster I guess? In older Tekkens the bears were just costume swaps of each other.

In TTT2 it made sense for people that want to make all-out troll bear teams. In Tekken 7? Not so much.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
TTT2 also had Lee and Violet as separate characters but yet he's one slot now. The bears are no excuse at this point. Like mentioned, having one is good but just having a second bear as a separate character, let alone a clone, doesn't make sense at this point.

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
While we are on this subject;

I might be paraphrasing but didn't Harada and the Tekken staff state specifically that they were trimming down on the use of clone-based characters to shorten the roster a tad? The bears kind of contradicted that whole point. Plus, if you look at how the roster is set up on the character select screen, it still seems very incomplete. You can also sort of see this on the character select screen from the customization menu as well:

Even if you included Eliza, Geese Howard (whom I have absolutely no problem with for obvious reasons), Gouki himself, and the other guest character, the roster will still come across as incomplete with several "slots" still left open.

And, putting the bears in as two different slots makes no sense in retrospect when you take this into consideration with their own roster selection.
In terms of move set, the differences between the bears are almost little to none. It would be logical to have them in as a palette swaps (that is not the correct term for 3D characters who share the same move set)...

To be more specific, the Tekken 7 staff members could have just treated the bears as they did with Lee and Violet, only having them possess different Rage Arts and possibly different Rage Drives to differentiate from each other a bit and to simply add a nice detail to them. Then they could have done the same to the likes of Eddy Gordo and Christie Monteiro (because, they DID do this before on Tekken 4 and the roster on that game was even smaller, the smallest it has ever been since the first Tekken game). All it would have took was for the staff members to present Eddy and Gordo with similar move sets with small variances so that players can enjoy the characters that they like and also save a bit of room on the roster selection slots.

I also have a bit more to talk about in reference to this game as to what could have been. NO. I am no game developer and I am not a professional. Tekken 7 is by no means a "bad" game. But, there are a lot of things that could have been done better with the time the Tekken 7 staff members had in development. It is just criticism. I acknowledge that making a game and building it up is far more complicated than anyone can realize, especially when development teams are small. Trying to make a game like Tekken 7 is going to depend on a large variety of factors and quite a few "what-ifs". To add insult to injury, based on what a friend and I were talking about, Harada probably was not supposed to present Tekken 7 as his next project back in EVO2014 but Tekken 7 got leaked instead of what he was actually working. That's the rumor... But, let me go on and bring these other issues up.

* The netcode is only decent now. It was a bit bumpy at the start and it still is to some degree, due to the fact that you can no longer properly identify the players you are fighting against until you reach the versus screen on ranked and other online settings. That's not good for people who looking for lagless matches. However, the addition of Revenge Matches was one of the best things that the Tekken 7 staff could have done.

* Mishima Story and the story in general.
I am not trying to be funny, but the Mishima story had a decent objective and narrative perspective on Kazuya and Heihachi. The narrator himself could have been replaced with someone else more noteworthy; like Lei Wulong: Because, sense he IS a cop who has conducted many Mishima-related investigations in the past, it would have been clever to have him narrate the story and keep spirits up so to speak. It would also sort of explain why he would be missing from the Tekken 7 roster. He could be busy doing other things. It is also a bit disturbing that Jin Kazama was asleep through out most of the ordeal. Lars, Alisa, and Lee were definitely helpful in solving problems or at least trying to deal with the situations at hand, produced by Heihachi and Kazuya himself. Nina Williams also had a nice showing. Now, here is what bothers the hell out of me:
Arcade mode and the lack thereof. The smart thing for most fighting game developers to do is just to design a arcade mode where the character's stories arcs can be explored effectively while producing online features in the process. DOA does this (to a degree). SFIV did this. Why not Tekken 7? This would increase the playability of offline features and such altogether! Instead, what you have is these characters fighting against one opponent. Some of the scenarios don't even make sense (why the fuck would Josie be fighting a god damn bear? What business does Xiaoyu have with the likes of Claudio when she is simply looking for Jin after the events of Tekken 6? Is there a particular reason why Jack-7 and King matchup had to take place? What is the context)?

Under normal circumstances, you would pick character and go along with your business. They fight at least seven, eight, or maybe nine matches. Every character ends up running into one or two sub-bosses. Then you have the mid bosses (often Heihachi, or in this case, you also have slightly buffed Jin, weirder and angrier version of Devil Kazuya, a... weirder and angrier version of Heihachi...). Then last, another sub-boss, a designated character-specific fight... then the final boss (which may end either being Devil Kazumi, Shin Gouki, or... as it stands now... probably Geese Howard). That's to be expected of an arcade and is almost staple. Yet, much like with SFV, Tekken 7 sort of disregarded the arcade mode. Insult to injury they forgotten a lot of offline features evidently. Instead of all of this and making things a tad interesting, we get these... weird... one-shot stories that either come across as awkward or completely useless. As if to say, the characters outside of the Mishima Story did not add anything here. Some people might not be into the whole arcade mode, thing. And that is fine. They can make these types of stories optional for those who don't want the arcade experiences; both sides of the player base win.

There are also a few noticeable issues that can be sorted in time though they should have been in the first place:

* Lack of a replay feature. Players like us NEED this. We do have things that we can use to record matches via the PS4 features but that is not the point. Some players need to watch their past matches to see if they missed something or if they have bad habits that they need to fix. People who go to tournaments need this sort of thing so that they can reassess themselves!

* Lack of offline features in general. Tekken Bowl aside, even the Treasure Mode could have been handled a bit better by allowing us to adjust the difficulty to actually pick the characters we what to fight. Including a feature similar to the Ghosts from Tekken 5 would not be a bad idea either, just to stir the pot a little and increase replay value by having the player choose their reward process and who they fight on the CPU. Plus, online features can be toggled here: If players want to fight players while also looking for treasure in this mode then they can do so very easily, whether it be ranked matches or player matches. Survival mode, time attack, team battle, and trials were still considered fun to mess around with when you are doing absolutely nothing. There could have been trophies allocated into those features along with online features still be available on those modes, in addition to the existence of leaderboards.

* Arbitrary input lag on console versions... once again, this is not a good idea. It's been addressed... to some degree.

* Customization options are a bit dull... the Tekken 7 staff seem to have an odd fascination with T-Shirts for some reason. While there ARE plenty of options for the characters themselves (character-specific costumizations), it is nowhere near as expansive as Tekken 6 or even TTT2 for that matter.

There may have been a few things that they I have missed but I believe these are the glaring issues that are worth bringing up.
HOWEVER: The game is still not as bad as it would be made out to be. Because, it appears to be selling well and still doing so. Plus, there are still plenty of updates to look forward to.

UpSideDownGRUNT

To be fair on the Tekken 6 point, ALOT of those customizations were just the same item but in different colours/designs.

I haven't played 6 in several years but I'm fairly certain Asuka has more exclusive costumes in 7 than in 6 and I'm not even including the copypasta dlc.

But yet I still feel like costume choice is low, why not add the missing costumes from 6 and Tag 2? Asuka doesn't even have her Hakama Gi YET Kazumi has a Hakama Gi that aside from the footwear and colour is identical to her Hakama... Or the different hair she uses in that GI costume (yet it IS in Mobile)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD